» «
Photo

Is GTA IV overrated?

161 replies to this topic
GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:44 AM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 02 September 2013 - 12:46 AM.

QUOTE (Official General @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 00:42)
QUOTE (GtaIvFanboy @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 00:36)
QUOTE (Official General @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 23:54)
QUOTE (GtaIvFanboy @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 23:10)
Cj was just a bland gang banger you could of seen in boyz n the hood.

I stopped reading and I stopped taking your post seriously after seeing this.

why? dozingoff.gif that's what he was in my eyes nothing Interesting Or unique about him at all and you Disagree with one thing so that means the rest of my points are not valid? people on these forums really get to me with their idiocy sometimes. confused.gif

Well just how the f**k is watching the Boyz In The Hood movie gonna provide anyone with a fair and constructive assessment of how good a video game character CJ was, or how enjoyable and interesting his story was San Andreas ?? Boyz In The Hood, seriously ? What because CJ is black and from the hood, any 'hood film' can be used as a referencing tool ? Man you are so stupid, and you wonder why your comment even deserved a proper response.

Get the f**k outta here man.

name calling now lol.gif bye bro i only debate with people who are worth debating with not people who spit their dummy out straight away . wink.gif and how about you read my 9 other posts and tell me im wrong. smile.gif

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (GtaIvFanboy @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 00:44)

why? dozingoff.gif that's what he was in my eyes nothing Interesting Or unique about him at all and you Disagree with one thing so that means the rest of my points are not valid? people on these forums really get to me with their idiocy sometimes. confused.gif

Well just how the f**k is watching the Boyz In The Hood movie gonna provide anyone with a fair and constructive assessment of how good a video game character CJ was, or how enjoyable and interesting his story was San Andreas ?? Boyz In The Hood, seriously ? What because CJ is black and from the hood, any 'hood film' can be used as a referencing tool ? Man you are so stupid, and you wonder why your comment even deserved a proper response.

name calling now lol.gif bye bro i only debate with people who are worth debating with not people who spit their dummy out straight away . wink.gif and how about you read my 9 other posts and tell me im wrong. smile.gif

Bro, just forget it. I think I'll watch Boy In The Hood instead and not bother play San Andreas based on your recommendations sarcasm.gif

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Official General @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 00:49)

Bro, just forget it. I think I'll watch Boy In The Hood instead and not bother play San Andreas based on your recommendations sarcasm.gif

i really don't think you understood the point i was trying to make what i meant is Cj to me was just a guy who could of been a Character in any 90s urban hood film he had that vibe about him IMO niko on the other hand had something more unique about him.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (GtaIvFanboy @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 00:53)

i really don't think you understood the point i was trying to make what i meant is Cj to me was just a guy who could of been a Character in any 90s urban hood film he had that vibe about him IMO niko on the other hand had something more unique about him.

That don't have sh*t to do with anything. I don't know why you even need to be thinking so much about 90s hood movies, this San Andreas, it's a video game. All you need to worry about is enjoying the game and immersing yourself within it's world via the protagonist you play as. Not comparing it to hood movies.

I don't see you saying, "Oooh Vice City is not really that interesting because it looks like any ol' action movie/show out of 1980s like Miami Vice".

What you are saying just makes no sense at all and it just sounds dumb. If you simply said you did not like CJ and all that hood/gang stuff then that's fine, it down to personal taste, but to come up with rubbish like this, well expect some criticism.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (Official General @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 01:01)
QUOTE (GtaIvFanboy @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 00:53)

That don't have sh*t to do with anything. I don't know why you even need to be thinking so much about 90s hood movies, this San Andreas, it's a video game. All you need to worry about is enjoying the game and immersing yourself within it's world via the protagonist you play as. Not comparing it to hood movies.

I don't see you saying, "Oooh Vice City is not really that interesting because it looks like any ol' action movie/show out of 1980s like Miami Vice".

What you are saying just makes no sense at all and it just sounds dumb. If you simply said you did not like CJ and all that hood/gang stuff then that's fine, it down to personal taste, but to come up with rubbish like this, well expect some criticism.

why does it make no sense? confused.gif ok i will rephrase it maybe i should of said CJ Was a bland 1 dimensional Douche Bag who had the Personality of a Paper bag. better? dozingoff.gif and it annoys me how your picking on 1 of my posts but Ignoring the other 9. dozingoff.gif

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:33 AM

Personally I found CJ very hard to connect with. I couldn't stand how he always got pushed around. It made his character seem weak and unbelievable (not a compliment).

To be honest I didn't really care at all about seeking vengeance for his mom's death. Way too forced IMO.

He's not really a terrible protagonist, but I couldn't find anything about that I cared about like say with Tommy and Niko.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

As it was said many times before, main problem with SA was not giving enough emphasis on things that were important. Beverly's death - mentioned twice in the intro and once in Drive Thru, Brian's death - also somewhere in the back. And how I could care about revenge on mom's killer when after couple of missions I forgot about her?

CJ was another problem as MVC mentioned. Practically whining bitch's bitch running errands and taking sh*t from everybody. He was totally uninteresting, because of that. Cutscenes with Catalina resulted in fact that I stopped caring about him, just pushing further to see the ending.

I feel like SA should be scrapped altogether and made once again from the beginning (which won't happen). Make a story regarding GSF, CRASH, Rampant Scandal, Revenge for mom and redemption after Brian's death. It would be more interesting that fantasy drug trip through San Andreas.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:50 AM Edited by BabeRuth, 02 September 2013 - 07:52 AM.

QUOTE (Tycek @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 07:24)
CJ was another problem as MVC mentioned. Practically whining bitch's bitch running errands and taking sh*t from everybody. He was totally uninteresting, because of that. Cutscenes with Catalina resulted in fact that I stopped caring about him, just pushing further to see the ending.

He kinda had to Ty, The code is not to hit a woman. Yes It's Catalina she's a crazy female dog, and he wall wanted to knock her one, but I think CJ was against abusing women.

This is irrelevant to the conversation but I have a feeling(IF YOU'VE PLAYED THE GAME TY) that one of the things you didn't like THE LAST OF US due to the family history, or did you?

(I'm not trying to judge or read you Ty, BTW)

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:02 AM Edited by Tycek, 02 September 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Assumptions, assumptions and what's even more important false ones. I've not played TLoU, but I doubt I would have problem with this if it's made in a proper way. I didn't have problems with relationships between CJ and Kendl or CJ and Sweet.

And talking about CJ and Catalina is totally different discussion. First the only reason he was meeting with her was money, yet in my game he already got more than million dollars. Second he didn't have to hit her, to show her who's the boss. Tommy, Niko or Johnny didn't have to hit anyone to show their power, did they. That's the problem, he didn't do anything, he was begging her for his life and taking her sh*t a minute after like nothing happened.

I also think we should get closer to topic at hand, because we're venturing on the dangerous waters called SA vs IV.

To take us closer to our destination, no IV isn't overrated. It's great sequel to GTA III, pushing the open world games to another level and another great step stone in the GTA series.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:56 AM Edited by AceKingston, 02 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.

And how the f**k were Westdyke and Beechwood City in IV countryside ?? Were you playing the correct game ? Are you sure it was IV ??

Beechwood City is an urban, run-down ghetto, one of the worst in LC in IV. Westdyke was just a nice quite and affluent suburb. Countryside ? You're on crack mate.

I should have made my meaning quite plainer, there were quite a few trees (more than any other area) around Beechwood and Westdyke and even the Airport in case you didn't notice but no I guess you have a point, it isn't a Countryside.

I liked San Andreas, it was a good game, Radio Los Santos was a good radio station. a classic but some things ruined it for me. The storyline had a lot of boring and annoying missions. I enjoyed only the ghetto and Las Venturas missions and few of the other missions. But other than most of the storyline sucked.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's a great game, once again a classic but I just like IV and Vice City better than San Andreas.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 21:56)
I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's a great game, once again a classic but I just like IV and Vice City better than San Andreas.

*High five*

wink.gif

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 07:24)
As it was said many times before, main problem with SA was not giving enough emphasis on things that were important. Beverly's death - mentioned twice in the intro and once in Drive Thru, Brian's death - also somewhere in the back. And how I could care about revenge on mom's killer when after couple of missions I forgot about her?

I feel like SA should be scrapped altogether and made once again from the beginning (which won't happen). Make a story regarding GSF, CRASH, Rampant Scandal, Revenge for mom and redemption after Brian's death. It would be more interesting that fantasy drug trip through San Andreas.

@ Tycek

You made a whole set of very good points here about SA, and I must admit that I do agree with many of them icon14.gif

I do think San Andreas's storyline was good, but it certainly was not one of the best in the GTA series. I too felt that the storyline could have been much better, especially if they had made it a bit more serious in certain parts. SA would have been better if a majority of the storyline revolved around the gang theme. The gap between the first part of the game with CJ coming back to Los Santos, leaving LS in exile, and then finally back to LS again was just too long. I found myself so wanting to go back to LS and handle my gang's business by the time I was in Las Venturas. Eeven if CJ went out of LS, they could have added his gang expansion into other cities like San Fierro as part of the storyline. Rockstar could have made SA's storyline better, I definitely agree with that.

@ Miami

My favorite GTA game and protagonist is still Vice City and Tommy Vercetti. But SA to me was the technically the best GTA game simply because the huge size, the amount of features and content it contained. You are right, CJ was not the best protagonist, he was still good enough though. When I weigh all the pros and cons about SA, the pros far outweighed the cons, so to me SA is my second favorite. GTA IV still is a memorable game to me, regardless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users