Is GTA IV overrated?

161 replies to this topic
SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 15:49)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 22:15)
As for losing health with every bump against objects again that's another exaggeration.
Niko can bump into all sorts of objects without losing health so what "objects" are you referring to?

In all seriousness; I have had Niko lose health due walking over a curb many times. I've had Little Jacob die because he tried to walk through a door. When it swung open it killed him.

I play on PS3. I'm not sure if there are differences in platforms that make this happen.

Hmm. Never experienced anything like that. Not saying you're lying (of course), but I haven't had that happen to me before.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (StingrayX @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 16:45)
Also, prepare to fly out the windshield a lot, because the russian hitman can't remember to put on a seatbelt and you physically can't do it yourself. The game won't let you.

There's no excuse for your horrible driving skills, lol. sigh.gif

Is it so much to ask to not be constantly punished for smashing up cars for fun?

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 15:52)
QUOTE (StingrayX @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 16:45)
Also, prepare to fly out the windshield a lot, because the russian hitman can't remember to put on a seatbelt and you physically can't do it yourself. The game won't let you.

There's no excuse for your horrible driving skills, lol. sigh.gif

Is it so much to ask to not be constantly punished for smashing up cars for fun?

Yes, Yes it is. wink.gif

joking .

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 04:15)
Oh come on. You guys make it sound like Niko goes through the windshield in every crash.

It only occurs when it's a heavy impact and you have to go pretty fast.

It doesn't "always" happen. It's like the "constant" phone calls. It's exaggerated to be worse than it really is.

As for losing health with every bump against objects again that's another exaggeration. I can see your point if you're only talking about cars when Niko crosses roads or when he's drunk, but "objects" is very broad. That could mean anything in the game really.

Niko can bump into all sorts of objects without losing health so what "objects" are you referring to?

It's not that constant but really, it should have not been added at all. Only frustrating and takes some fun out of the game.

And I remember once when I bailed out of a car my health kept decreasing with each bump into the asphalt and once to a post on the sidewalk. At least on Vice City which has this thing in it, a little armor/health goes away as soon as you jump out but then that's it. It's not that big of an issue but as someone who always likes to carry full health and armor, it's annoying to have it crippled due to some small bumps into a post or even bouncing off the ground.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 02:59)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 04:15)
Oh come on. You guys make it sound like Niko goes through the windshield in every crash.

It only occurs when it's a heavy impact and you have to go pretty fast.

It doesn't "always" happen. It's like the "constant" phone calls. It's  exaggerated to be worse than it really is.

As for losing health with every bump against objects again that's another exaggeration. I can see your point if you're only talking about cars when Niko crosses roads or when he's drunk, but "objects" is very broad. That could mean anything in the game really.

It's not that constant but really, it should have not been added at all. Only frustrating and takes some fun out of the game.

And I remember once when I bailed out of a car my health kept decreasing with each bump into the asphalt and once to a post on the sidewalk. At least on Vice City which has this thing in it, a little armor/health goes away as soon as you jump out but then that's it. It's not that big of an issue but as someone who always likes to carry full health and armor, it's annoying to have it crippled due to some small bumps into a post or even bouncing off the ground.

I think it adds more fun, but each to their own.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

i think to say gta4 is the best game of the generation and a perfect 10/10 score is overrating it.

but it's not too far off from that!

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:20 PM Edited by Official General, 01 July 2013 - 01:45 PM.

I personally would say GTA IV was a bit overrated. I don't think it deserved a 10/10 score.

To me, it just was not as great as I hoped it would be. Now this does not mean GTA IV not a great game, because it is. I very much enjoyed playing IV, it is still one of my most favorite PS3 games and it is a classic title any current-gen gamer must own or play at least. However, IV was missing quite a number of very fun and important features and content from previous GTAs, and that was one of the main issues I had with it. There were just a bit too many shortcomings that IV had for me, so in a way, I'd say 10/10 was overrating the game.

I would say that IV alone deserved a solid 8.5/10, which is still a great score, and 9/10 with the Episodes.

Vice City and San Andreas deserved 10/10 for me.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 00:20)
I personally would say GTA IV was a bit overrated. I don't think it deserved a 10/10 score.

To me, it just was not as great as I hoped it would be. Now this does not mean GTA IV not a great game, because it is. I very much enjoyed playing IV, it is still one of my most favorite PS3 games and it is a classic title any current-gen gamer must own or play at least. However, IV was missing quite a number of very fun and important features and content from previous GTAs, and that was one of the main issues I had with it. There were just a bit too many shortcomings that IV had for me, so in a way, I'd say 10/10 was overrating the game.

I would say that IV alone deserved a solid 8.5/10, which is still a great score, and 9/10 with the Episodes.

I always like your input General. smile.gif

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 13:35)
QUOTE (Official General @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 00:20)

I always like your input General. smile.gif

Thanks bro icon14.gif

GTA IV has always been a tricky one for me. There are quite a good number of things I don't like about it, but yet there are many things I do really love about the game that still keeps me drawn to it. Especially the way IV got the NYC vibe so right.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I was playing GTA IV a few hours ago General and cast my mind back to everything you've said about GTA IVfeeling too safe and you're right.

I wish to god R* made the game feel more intimidating because it has the look, but not the feel of a city of gangs, car jackers, murderers etc. Such a wasted opportunity on an awesome backdrop. sad.gif

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 14:14)
I was playing GTA IV a few hours ago General and cast my mind back to everything you've said about GTA IVfeeling too safe and you're right.

I wish to god R* made the game feel more intimidating because it has the look, but not the feel of a city of gangs, car jackers, murderers etc. Such a wasted opportunity on an awesome backdrop. sad.gif

@ Miami

You just don't understand how much that got on my nerves and really disappointed me about GTA IV.

I just could not understand how Rockstar could get the look of the rough districts and ghettos of Liberty City so right, but yet no danger in the streets at all !? I was hoping to go to the projects, ghettos and other bad areas to see criminals stealing, robbing and beating people up, or rival gangs having random shootouts and gunfights. Vice City and San Andreas had all this, and it burned me to know that IV did not have this, especially when I was so hyped up for it. One thing I remembered about VC was the dangerous areas, like Little Havana or Little Haiti, where the sound of gunfire and gangs in the streets shooting at each other just made instantly realize the city was not all safe. I just missed that element of danger in the streets in IV.

Some people will argue that IV was like that, because it's real-life inspiration of NYC is generally a safe city these days. I've been to New York City many times, I have family there, I've researched the city's crime rate so I know a bit about the place. While I can agree that it is a lot safer these days, I can definitely also say that a very high crime rate still exists in the rougher sections of the city. Especially in certain areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx, where street crime, shootings, gunfights, drug and gang activity take place on an everyday basis. If you are ever in NYC, just read a local paper's police and crime report and you will see how much sh*t still happens there everyday.

MaddenSixx
  • MaddenSixx

:)

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (Mr J. Thompson @ Tuesday, Apr 29 2008, 05:08)
Ok, dont get up in arms yet, Ive read heaps of reviews and they all say its the best GTA and one of the best games ever. I would normally just get the game and find out myself, but its a bit hard when you dont have a PS3 or 360. All I want to know is it genuinely worth the hype, from those of you who already have it, not those who think they know. I'm not saying its overrated or anything, I just want a real idea of whether it really is as good as they say it is or whether they are just blowing their load and saying its "the greatest" because its a new GTA game. I'm sure it kicks ass, of course, but what are your thoughts? Tell the truth.

Cheers.

The main thing that they could change to make it even better is making it a little longer because once you get to the last mission you're kind of like "It's about to be over?". It is a really good game. I love it. It's one of the few games I can keep playing and it'll never get old.

Riding shotgun
  • Riding shotgun

Burn till I cant burn no more

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

GTA IV felt like it could of been more. I rmember reading somewhere that IV is the next gen III, which makes sense. IV could of had at least a few more features and it would of been perfect in my eyes. The game is great, I was one of many who was expecting some SA features but we didn't. Both are good games though, each GTA has stuff the other doesn't. But is IV overrated? not these days, back when it came out it was.

Fr0zT uP
  • Fr0zT uP

GTA 4 Life

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 15:48)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 14:14)

@ Miami

You just don't understand how much that got on my nerves and really disappointed me about GTA IV.

I just could not understand how Rockstar could get the look of the rough districts and ghettos of Liberty City so right, but yet no danger in the streets at all !? I was hoping to go to the projects, ghettos and other bad areas to see criminals stealing, robbing and beating people up, or rival gangs having random shootouts and gunfights. Vice City and San Andreas had all this, and it burned me to know that IV did not have this, especially when I was so hyped up for it. One thing I remembered about VC was the dangerous areas, like Little Havana or Little Haiti, where the sound of gunfire and gangs in the streets shooting at each other just made instantly realize the city was not all safe. I just missed that element of danger in the streets in IV.

Some people will argue that IV was like that, because it's real-life inspiration of NYC is generally a safe city these days. I've been to New York City many times, I have family there, I've researched the city's crime rate so I know a bit about the place. While I can agree that it is a lot safer these days, I can definitely also say that a very high crime rate still exists in the rougher sections of the city. Especially in certain areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx, where street crime, shootings, gunfights, drug and gang activity take place on an everyday basis. If you are ever in NYC, just read a local paper's police and crime report and you will see how much sh*t still happens there everyday.

I think it's becouse Rockstar's aim for realism. In real life gangs wont shoot you on sight. Plus Niko works as a hitmen. A gang will not try to kill you becouse you've killed one of their man and nobody knows about it. For me sometimes it was really annoying when gang members shoot at my car and flat my tires.

gdsaqqq
  • gdsaqqq

Praise the sun, or die trying.

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

By the media, Yes.

By the community, quite the opposite... especially the San Andreas fanboys... god i hate those idiots. whatsthat.gif

MEDIA: "BEST GAYM EVAAAAAR! EVERYTHNG'S PRFCT!"

SA FANBOYS: "WORST GAYM EVAAAAAR! TROW IT IN DA TRASH CAN!"

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

It's not my favorite GTA but I don't think it's overrated I enjoyed it a lot.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (FearTheLiving @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 14:14)

Favourite GTA: GTA IV. Explain? tounge.gif

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 07:54)
QUOTE (FearTheLiving @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 14:14)

Favourite GTA: GTA IV. Explain? tounge.gif

There we go, have no idea why it was set to IV as Vice City is easily my favorite GTA haha.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:16 PM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 26 August 2013 - 11:31 PM.

no its VERY Underrated Especially by Ignorant Moran's On the Internet. and i respect peoples opinions most of the time but they have little to no substance i mean sure there was not lot to do after the story but was there in Red Dead Redemption? IMO no there was even less to do yet its still Universally loved and and i fail to see how people can say san andreas is better than iv i really don't see it IV Has a better storyline Protagonist Antagonist a better overall cast of characters better atmosphere better city better shooting better driving better missions better side Actives hell better everything it just did not have some of san andreas unnecessary Features (going gym haircut etc) and the soundtrack despite being very good in its own right was not quite as good As San Andreas but Sa does have the unfair advantage of being set in the 90s so it does not have to have sh*tty Modern music like iv had to have in places. i will stand by the fact that IV Is a masterpiece and My Favourite game of all time i just think it really went over most peoples heads way to deep and Intelligent for some. wink.gif

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:50 AM Edited by BabeRuth, 27 August 2013 - 12:54 AM.

QUOTE (derty @ Tuesday, Apr 29 2008, 12:03)
Truthful answer?

PS3 version? Hell yes! It got ALL THE HYPE.

360 version? No. There was so many copies on the shelves, nobody bought the game.

You know what they say about braggarts with flashy cars. Compensation. moto_whistle.gif

Man, I think your keyboard is broken, it's okay I fixed the errors you made wink.gif

Anyway....

I decided to play through the game again to give it a chance, and my thoughts have changed before I gave it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. I realized that is way too low, the game had a good story, amazing radio stations(Still like SAs better though) but that's irrelevant, map was decent sized, graphics where good. The only thing I had a knot with IV was the characters and the ending, but overall my score I would give it now would be a(n) 8-8.5. Some of you may think I'm bullsh*tting but I'm not, I learned from my actions and mistakes, the game isn't overrated or underrated; but if your thinking about getting this game you should definitely get it. cool.gif

dragon_goran_mijo
  • dragon_goran_mijo

Suspect is driving a red sports car

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Thursday, Jun 20 2013, 14:53)
QUOTE (Mr_Leone @ Thursday, Jun 20 2013, 15:15)
Name five better games better than GTA IV for the 360/PS3. The game was a masterpiece, with a complex, compelling story with three lifelike characters, who's chapters have started and ended. With RAGE, the phone feature, the vibrant but gloomy city, GTA IV had it all.

Gta sa, gta vc, gta v, bioshock and half life 2. And Gta iv doesn't have EVERYTHING.

GTA SA had some sh*t graphics for a 360 game.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but SA wasn't even on the 360, in order to play it on the 360, you either had to BUY/DOWNLOAD it online from Xbox Live or something like that, or you needed a copy of SA from the regular XBox.

dragon_goran_mijo
  • dragon_goran_mijo

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (BabeRuth @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 05:24)
Correct me if I'm wrong but SA wasn't even on the 360, in order to play it on the 360, you either had to BUY/DOWNLOAD it online from Xbox Live or something like that, or you needed a copy of SA from the regular XBox.

I was being sarcastic.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:39 AM Edited by BabeRuth, 27 August 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Can't tell sarcasm sitting in front of a computer screen. dozingoff.gif

gdsaqqq
  • gdsaqqq

Praise the sun, or die trying.

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (BabeRuth @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 15:39)
Can't tell sarcasm sitting in front of a computer screen. dozingoff.gif

You can, if you're good enough.

I don't blame him, he says name me 5 PS3/360 games that are better than IV. Then some dude says SA and VC....

That dude must have a hard on for these games enough to even consider them current gen games...

That, or he's an idiot. Which doesn't surprise me. At all. dozingoff.gif

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

IV was a very good game. It pushed the series in the right direction. The graphics were amazing at the time. The gameplay
felt pretty good. They gave one of the best representations of NYC I've seen. Yes, not perfect but close enough. I'll give Rockstar a
pass when it comes to why there was not many mini-games and other fun features. It was their first 'major' game on PS3/360.
There was a lot to learn about the systems and thus not a lot of time to add a bunch of features
that may be half-assed etc.

So overrated? Yes and No.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (gdsaqqq @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 13:12)
I don't blame him, he says name me 5 PS3/360 games that are better than IV. Then some dude says SA and VC....

That dude must have a hard on for these games enough to even consider them current gen games...

Or he could be trolling. I like that he put SA & VC when those games aren't even for..... Never mind. dozingoff.gif

dragon_goran_mijo
  • dragon_goran_mijo

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (BabeRuth @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 22:20)
QUOTE (gdsaqqq @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 13:12)

Or he could be trolling. I like that he put SA & VC when those games aren't even for..... Never mind. dozingoff.gif

Step your game up, man. Gotta have the new edition sarcasm radar, like mine. biggrin.gif

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Yes, it's extremely overrated, if not the most overrated game ever made.

This game has the highest ratings of any game on the XBox 360 and for that reason I don't know. Seeing the post call it "Underrated" made me laugh. This game has the highest reviews of any other game on the current systems. There is no way it's "underrated" by any means. If you want to call something underrated take LCS or VCS.

The shiny graphics and realism in the game destroyed what was fun in all the previous series.

I don't hate GTA IV, but it was a massive disappointment. Everyone acted as if this were the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I don't see why. All you have to do is play GTA III and you see what a disappointment IV was in general.

First off the whole storyline. It's hilarious that Rockstar wanted to try and give Niko some kind of moral decency. Everyone who plays these games are not interested in morals and values. It's extremely hard to even take Niko's story seriously. On one hand, he's a really great character. I like him, but everything around him is pointless. Roman is a displaying factor of American Greed that influences Niko, while you play as him and spend most of your time always cleaning up behind Roman's messes that he creates from being an idiot. The long cutscenes are the majority of the game in general, and the story does have some nice parts in it, but it's incredibly hard to take Niko's story seriously taken how GTA is in general. It's hard to take all of them seriously, but this one is constantly praised for an unrealistic realistic storyline that is fun in times, but very boring once your favorite characters are no longer in the picture anymore. The weak point for Niko's character is playing the baby sitting to his cousin who is a moron.

The game does look beautiful, but you can only stare at something for so long. I remember when LCS and VCS came out, many people complained about the graphics, though those games both had way more fun activities than what was in IV, and both times around they felt more alive, rather than the lifeless display of what was Liberty City this time around. There's a wide variety of pedestrians but rarely memorable. There's nothing that rings in my ears like the workers from III "where's my damn tools!" or the gang wannabe guys from VC, or even the wide arrangement of pedestrians all around SA from rednecks to Asians to Elvis impersonators. These games didn't have the best graphics ever, but they felt alive, and made you feel like you were in the world. Liberty City, feels extremely boring. All the pedestrians talk about is smoking and using profanity. They walk around with their phones texting like the everyday morons you see in real life that don't watch where they are stepping while texting, but none of them are memorable at all. Out of all the games, this one has the most lifeless city.
With the pedestrians, you have to get into the comedy thing. GTA 3 was hilarious because it was spoofing everything that was popular at the time. The reality TV shows were really taking off, and it was hilarious hearing something on the radio about Liberty City Survivor. They even made jokes about the labor in corporate factories through the 'Aires Running Shoes' commercial. VC did this even better with making fun of the whole action movie American propaganda themes of the 80's and the products out at that time. In IV, all the radio shows are centered around vulgarity and terrorism. We hear enough about this in real life, no really. I don't want to constantly hear doom porn in a video game, since mainstream media has already done their job making everyone really believe men living in caves half way across the world are going to kill them. All the things that are meant to be funny and light hearted come off mean and vulgar.

I waited years before I bought IV, and I seen exactly why everyone hated it when I first started playing it. None of my friends cared for it, even though we had played VC and SA for years together. I played it for 4 months, before I got used to the driving. This is one of the biggest complaints. The new physics engine they used is complicated as hell. Years ago when I first played III and VC, I was used to the driving in little over a day of playing. Everything was so much easier. They improved this in SA, as people were encouraged to use handbrake on turns (very helpful when racing) In IV, it's like driving in real life, and it's a huge pain in the ass when you are doing one of those chase missions and you have trouble steering and the car spins all over the place, or you slam on breaks and still hit something, or you crash into something and Niko comes flying out the windshield. In VC, the motorcycles were much easier to handle than cars IMO, but in IV, they are pointless. They can be harder to control than cars.
The clunky physics engine works well if you want to drool at the graphics, but it's not a whole lot of fun. The shooting in general is upgraded, but could have been extremely better. Maybe since I played Red Dead Redemption first, I expected this game to copy the same shooting mechanics. However Red Dead was a hundred times easier to play compared to IV. The shooting and targeting is far easier, and riding a horse isn't no where near as complicated as driving any vehicle like in IV (and there is more fun stuff to do!). One of the biggest issues with the shooting alone scrolling through all your weapons to get your handy one out, while taking damage. (Thankfully they fix this in V with weapon wheel) You have to be on the ball at all times covering and locking on, other wise you take a lot of damage.

Finally, this leads me to the most disappointing thing of all. You play the storyline and earn bottomless funds of cash, with absolutely NOTHING to spend it on. Who wants to keep playing a game when you are sitting on 500K and have nothing to spend it on? You can only buy so much clothes, and after that you are done. The reason people played SA for years is because there was endless things to do. There was no limit at all to the clothing combinations or customization of character. In GTA IV, there is nothing to do and no rewards for it. The whole "friends" thing is annoying and feels like a chore. You already are spending 5 minutes to drive to and from point A to point B for a mission, only to be called and bugged by your "friends" who want to go out and get drunk or play darts. It is fun at first, but becomes very old very fast. If I want to socialize, I have real life friends that I can socialize with and go bowling and get drunk and watch comedy shows with. The game even punishes you for skipping these horrible shows, just like it punishes you by annoying you with a friend constantly texting you about hanging out when you don't see them enough.

The older games had so many activities to do that kept you busy, playing to get 100%. You also got a reward for these, which made it worthwhile and the temptation to try these things completely worth it. In GTA IV, they ditched all of this, but kept the Vigilante, and they add a 'Most Wanted', and now Hidden Packages are 200 Pigeons. Sounds like fun until you learn there is absolutely no reward for it at all. In the older ones, you earned guns for hidden packages. In San Andreas, you had the Photo Ops, Spray Tags, and the Horseshoes. They were a pain to get all 100 of each, but the reward being high powered weapons at all 3 of your save locations made it totally worth it. This made life easier for the missions when you could stock up on ammo by collecting the packages. The idea of using pigeons didn't bother me. VCS used balloons and this worked out great, because you still got a reward for it, but for GTA IV, you get nothing. The Vigilante was worth it for the 150 Body Armor. It made things easier for those really hard missions, but in IV, there is no reward for the Vigilante stuff, and no reward for doing the Most Wanted. All you get is money, which is pointless since there is nothing to spend it on.
Then the same thing goes for the Car Theft jobs for Stevie. For 30 cars, you don't get jack crap. All you get is money. In LCS, you had an Import/Export list to get for Love Media. The reward was a V8 Ghost and PCJ spawning outside your hideout in Newport. In VC, you had 4 lists to steal, and each one gave you an awesome rare vehicle, so it was totally worth it! You do jobs for Brucie and Little Jacob, and the reward is just money. Nothing else. This is entirely pointless since you end up with all this cash and nothing to spend it on!!!

Finally, the missions themselves become old quick. Niko does whatever he's told, and the only time we get real choices to choose something, it's not going to shake up the storyline that much. After Three Leaf Clover (IMO the best mission in the game) this is when the game becomes completely pointless with nothing to do but the missions. You just sit around with all this money and absolutely nothing to spend it on...but but you can go have a rampage killing innocent pedestrians! muppetmaster_karma.gif This is pointless. It gets old incredibly fast, however not a shock that the main thing people thrive on in these games is the ability to go on killing sprees. It's useless to waste all your ammo killing people when you need to save it for missions where it matters. VC and III, LCS, and VCS had rampages, and while some were very hard, they were also fun. With the physics engine and new graphics, I stopped running people over as I got sick to death of blood being splattered all over my car. Graphics are not everything that they are pumped up to be.

The missions also have a huge problem. Besides the fact they are extremely repetitive with most of them being hits and chase missions where you have to kill people, the game takes away a lot of the fun with scripted mechanics. The most fun part about the missions in III was that you were in control. You as the player, chose how you were going to do it and pull it off. Example: choosing how to take out Salvatore Leone With VC, they used some scripted mechanics here and there to make the game a bit more difficult, but you still had the reigns to choose your method of getting the mission done. In LCS, they used some of this but not too far The bike chases of Wayne and Ned were scripted, and they have high health, but still kill able before they reach their stop point. In GTA IV, every single mission is scripted like this, and it takes away from the fun. Don't even bother wasting your ammo shooting at what you are chasing, since they are going to stop with more enemies and you need your ammo for that. Every single chase in the missions has scripted trucks and big things that get in your way (like the driving itself isn't already enough of a pain) it don't feel fun, it feels repetitive and boring.

You can't say the game is not beautiful, yes it looks really good, but as far as the fun goes, it is fun for about a week then it becomes incredibly boring, and the storyline is a cliche loaded joke that is hard to be taken seriously. There was one review that said the story was like watching Scarface with Space Balls characters in the background, and that is so true. They sacrificed everything for the storyline, and it was boring in the end. I think they learned from their mistake here and are fixing it all in V since they have focused on making that game appear far more full of life. Red Dead Redemption also suffered from the storyline. You had this amazing and awesome game there that looked and felt like the dying Wild West era, but the storyline was incredibly unbelievable, and that's mostly why people were so angry at the ending. As far as gameplay and mechanics go, Red Dead is easily better than IV, and much more fun to play.

IV is not a bad game, but by all means it is easily the most disappointing one of them all. The Expansion packs make up for a little bit of the disappointment, but they cannot fix everything. There is no way I would give it a 9.5 or 9.8 like it has on sites, a 6 or 6.5 sounds more like it. This is just my opinion though, the things I found wrong with it.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

While I appreciate the effort put into that post there's something I don't agree with. You say all you have to do is play GTA III to see how much of a disappointment GTA IV is, but I played GTA III when it was new just like VC and SA and GTA IV is anything, but a disappointment IMO.

Sure it has its faults, but the scrutiny it gets at times has always been a bit over the top to me. confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users