Photo

Is GTA IV overrated?

161 replies to this topic
anzeyima
  • anzeyima

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (DarkKingBernard @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 12:49)
TBOGT is overrated tounge.gif End of discussion

No it's not. It's not overrated at all. And what gives you the right to end this discussion?

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Very overrated. I would give it a 8/10. It's a good game, just not worth the 10's that it was given for reviews. I didn't care for the story and characters and a lot of the missions were a drag, especially towards the end. But it looks great and the level design is breathtaking - it really feels like you're in a big city. The car handling imo is improved (though it takes a lot to get used to) and the combat mechanics are better. It's just the story and characters that bother me, and the fact that there's little else to do other than the main story. Darts, bowling and billiard ball is only fun for so long.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Underrated, excluding the reviews. Most people who bash GTA IV don't even know about half the awesome stuff in the game and are often lacking imagination.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Valenta @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 04:08)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 21:56)
QUOTE (lol232 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 23:14)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 11:27)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 04:25)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 12:10)
QUOTE (lol232 @ Friday, Jun 21 2013, 22:16)
TBoGT IS GTA IV while GTA V is NOT.

No, tbogt isn't Gta iv, it is an expansion. When you buy Gta iv, you don't get tbogt in it.

http://img822.images...2/6350/jl5s.jpg

You have some explaining to do.

http://upload.wikime...rilogy-xbox.jpg
I guess I do.

That doesn't prove your point, and your post makes no sense.

GTA IV TBoGT is an add-on and is set in Liberty City, and pretty much everything WildBrick said,
TBoGT is GTA IV, so see it as, everything TLaD and TBoGT have belongs to IV.

They were created as DLC's, as an Add-on to GTA IV with a Stand-alone story.

Ok, well I am talking Gta iv, NOT tbogt. And my post makes perfect sense, the guy posts a trilogy, I posted mine.

My troll sense is tingling...
In all seriousness, just give up. It's not worth continuing your pointless contradicting posts.

Your senses are retared, as much as a dog that smokes weed. Lets just say Gta iv is overrated, lets leave it at that, ok.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (lol232 @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 15:39)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 22:56)

Ok, well I am talking Gta iv, NOT tbogt. And my post makes perfect sense, the guy posts a trilogy, I posted mine.

Yes, but the difference between those trilogies is that your trilogy are three completely different games, while his trilogy is one game with all it's (2) DLC's.

Tell me this, why when I bought Gta iv, I played as a russian w*nker, instead of a biker a*****.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:47 PM Edited by lucid121, 23 June 2013 - 11:52 PM.

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 03:55)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 08:56)

Why don't you just admit you've been proven wrong?

No, I am actually right. In Gta iv, you play as Niko. In TBOGT, you play as Luis, simple isn't it. End of discussion.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:44 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 24 June 2013 - 12:47 AM.

QUOTE (zeppelincheetah @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 05:03)
Very overrated.  I would give it a 8/10.  It's a good game, just not worth the 10's that it was given for reviews.  I didn't care for the story and characters and a lot of the missions were a drag, especially towards the end.  But it looks great and the level design is breathtaking - it really feels like you're in a big city.  The car handling imo is improved (though it takes a lot to get used to) and the combat mechanics are better.  It's just the story and characters that bother me, and the fact that there's little else to do other than the main story.  Darts, bowling and billiard ball is only fun for so long.

I think this is a fair assessment. lucid121 you really should take note of how to express yourself instead of calling people in this section fanboys because you think GTA IV is overrated.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

This member title is 100% renewable

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 23:47)

No, I am actually right. In Gta iv, you play as Niko. In TBOGT, you play as Luis, simple isn't it. End of discussion.

So, does that mean that GTA V is three different games because they have three protagonists? Dude, just give up and deal with it. If you wanna show off your SA fanboyism, go to SA section.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

Honestly I think GTA IV was overrated in the sense that it got 10/10 from almost every reviewer. The problem with such high acclaim is people expect too much out of it.

My personal rating is about 9.3/10. It's such a great game as far as what it done for core mechanics and such, but that doesn't mean it's not without its flaws.

I don't think any GTA really is under a 9, but that's just me.

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 00:43)
QUOTE (lol232 @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 15:39)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 22:56)

Yes, but the difference between those trilogies is that your trilogy are three completely different games, while his trilogy is one game with all it's (2) DLC's.

Tell me this, why when I bought Gta iv, I played as a russian w*nker, instead of a biker a*****.

You didn't download the DLC to add cool new stuff in the game.

As simple as that.

Anyway, I fully agree with above, except I'd give the game 9.5/10 rating. That's just my thinking.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

#1 Metalhead

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

It's an overrated game indeed but the fact that the game was now in HD universe and thus has a complete change from where it left in the previous 3D GTA games. And it's overrated because it is an easily awesome game.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (WildBrick142 @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 02:59)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 23:47)

So, does that mean that GTA V is three different games because they have three protagonists? Dude, just give up and deal with it. If you wanna show off your SA fanboyism, go to SA section.

I'm not quite sure why this argument is happening but just to clear a few things up,

The three protagonists is an element of the core Grand Theft Auto V game, so you buy the title and you have all three characters there and ready to go, that is how the game was built and how players will enjoy it upon release.

Now with GTAIV your core experience was the story of Niko within Liberty City, this was the game we all picked up and played upon its release, this was the title that reviewers gave 10/10 to. You had your one protagonist and this for a time was the GTAIV experience. The two episodes being Ballad Of Gay Tony and Lost And The Damned were added at a later date and are optional extras to expand your GTAIV experience, therefore you have to ask, if they aren't a part of the core experience can they really be included in answering this question? They are in essence like any other expansion pack that has been released for a game, they sit as a middle ground, an additional 0.5 to the games V1.0, because they aren't really big enough to be considered an entire new game in their own right but they use and add to that original content.

Ultimately it depends on what the opening question really is and how people interpret that, because people are using the fact that the game got 10/10 reviews which was for the core GTAIV experience, and others are referencing TBoGT to defend that despite the fact that at the time of that 10/10 the expansion hadn't yet been released. So are we asking if the core GTAIV game is overrated, or if the complete package is overrated?

Two similar yet different questions.

If we're asking about the core experience, well look at it this way. For the time of release GTAIV looked absolutely stunning and gave us a fantastically realized open world that was based upon a city we already knew but with a clever amount of twisting put in there. It told a new and fairly fresh story in the GTA and video game world, of an immigrant who came in search of the American dream, he wasn't wanting to build a criminal empire or be the biggest gangster, he just wanted a new life but got drawn into this world of revenge and crime. You had, what was at the time some stunning animation work and gameplay that felt pretty intuitive, remember that third person action games at the time were still finding that 'perfect' control scheme, so while thing like the cover and shooting system may feel a bit off now it actually worked for that time.

Throw together the rest of the experience and you have a game which set out to do something and that did it really well. Remember that as GTA fans we're going to be more passionate about the title and compare it with what we liked from previous games more than an actual reviewer or others may do, but put that aside and what you have is an amazing title for when it was released. Sure I have my issues with the game, I personally didn't like Niko as a character, I felt the direction was a bit disappointing and pessimistic but objectively I can't deny the achievement and can't really come out saying the game is overrated because for the time what am I really going to compare it to that offered an experience remotely similar?

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 05:20)
Honestly I think GTA IV was overrated in the sense that it got 10/10 from almost every reviewer. The problem with such high acclaim is people expect too much out of it.

My personal rating is about 9.3/10. It's such a great game as far as what it done for core mechanics and such, but that doesn't mean it's not without its flaws.

Looks like, we came to an agreement.

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 14:37)

Although it's overrated by reviews, people like you underrate the game.
But yes, I agree that reviews did overrate the game.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:03 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 24 June 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Honestly, I don't think that IV is overrated by any means. A lot of people prefer San Andreas over it, because of vehicle customization, the bigger map which includes three cities, deserts and countryside, the gangster-theme, the bigger amount of features, and so forth. Not everyone thinks like this, but it's a considerable amount of people who do think so. I'm not one of them. IV does indeed miss things that past games of the series had, but that doesn't make it a less enjoyable title. I don't care about the fact that there is only one city in the game [or two if you consider Alderney as seperate city]. Liberty City represents New York pretty good, much better than Los Santos represented Los Angeles, San Fierro represented San Francisco, and Las Venturas represented Las Vegas.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that there was only urban area in IV, but no surroundings, either. New York is pure urban area as well, and there is no countryside next to it. The variety of vehicles also decreased compared to its predecessor, but on the plus side, each vehicle has a unique handling; and the handling itself is also a massive improvement compared to all GTAs before. The shooting mechanics and the new cover-system also improve the experience, and even though these things don't seem to be that big, they make shootouts and missions as a whole more enjoyable than ever.

GTAIV is not an overrated game. In fact, I think it's one of the most underrated titles of the whole series.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:57 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 25 June 2013 - 12:42 PM.

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 00:37)

Look I respect the fact not everyone likes GTA IV as much as I do. It's moreso the attitude some people display I have the issue with. Although I don't agree with him on everything zeppelincheetah is one of those members who makes it clear he's not a big fan of GTA IV, but he's respectful of those that are. Alot of guys are like that here. To me "GTA IV haters" always seem to go to great lengths to try and convert people to their way of thinking.

They're not even the same as those who fairly critique the game and leave it at that.

Anyway all of this petty arguing could've been avoided if you were a bit more mindful. Yes this is the GTA IV section so bias is to be expected, but alot of us will gladly accept GTA IV is not a perfect game despite it being our favourite GTA.

Tob1234
  • Tob1234

GTA 4 - 5 fan

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

GTA IV is definitely not overrated!

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

Overrated.It's not a perfect game by any means.I'd give it a 9/10.
I still think GTA SA is better.More vehicles,bigger map,more weapons.The IV story was nice but a big dragged on the end as someone stated.Although I loved the graphics and the ragdolling and the car damage revamp.I still think GTA SA was more fun to play.

golf wang
  • golf wang

Bout that life

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Slightly overrated by reviewers. A lot of reviews gave the game a perfect 10, I feel it was more like an 8.9/10. The story in IV was definitely intriguing and had much greater depth than other GTA stories, but it lacked that certain "fun" factor that other GTAs had. The gameplay in IV was overall pretty solid. Shooting, running, driving, flying, and swimming were all very solid (except for the fact that you couldn't dive underwater tounge.gif). However, the DLCs improved the "fun" aspect very much, especially TBoGT. All together with the DLCs included, GTA IV is about a 9.5, a very great game.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (golf wang @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 23:20)
Slightly overrated by reviewers. A lot of reviews gave the game a perfect 10, I feel it was more like an 8.9/10. The story in IV was definitely intriguing and had much greater depth than other GTA stories, but it lacked that certain "fun" factor that other GTAs had. The gameplay in IV was overall pretty solid. Shooting, running, driving, flying, and swimming were all very solid (except for the fact that you couldn't dive underwater tounge.gif). However, the DLCs improved the "fun" aspect very much, especially TBoGT. All together with the DLCs included, GTA IV is about a 9.5, a very great game.

Be honest who would want to dive under that murky, black water in LC? Unless you like exploring thrown away shopping carts and other garbage. It's not exactly inviting. tounge.gif

DetectDefective
  • DetectDefective

Seņor dickhead!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

It's a solid 6/7. And yeah, I use a 7 scale, 5's too small, and 10's too big (and also has the distinction of 7 being the average). Not a big fan of the whole number scale, but if I have to use it, it's out of 7.

Consider the facts. It's the GTA III of this console generation. It did a lot of things well (general graphics, control/movement, and atmosphere by far), and fell flat in a select few areas (player reward, mainly). It also had a well-done multi-player mode, which unfortunately got ruined by modders. I can't hold that against Rockstar, as people shouldn't be doing sh*t like that in the first place.

Not like all the modders are bad (some work together with regular players), but I'll stick to the main point at hand.

A lot of folks are upset that GTA IV lacks some of the great things that VC and SA built upon III, and I can understand that. I was one of the people who felt like that as well, but after time passed, I was cool with it all. Some of the hyperbole in reviews didn't really help, either, the "Oscar-worthy" being the one I've heard brought up the most, but anyone taking that review (let alone any review like that) at face value deserves the egg on their face.

GTA IV's a great game. It's got its faults, but it's a great game. I'll say "somewhat overrated" in terms of reviewers, and "somewhat underrated" in terms of players, since some of them feel like it's their job to balance out said reviews.

StingrayX
  • StingrayX

♢ Las Venturas ♢

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

IV is anything but overrated, especially from what I've seen around here. The reviews, like IGNorant, overrate it to 10 but most people seem to hate on IV because they liked how San Andreas had a lot of features.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (DetectDefective @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 00:43)
It's a solid 6/7. And yeah, I use a 7 scale, 5's too small, and 10's too big (and also has the distinction of 7 being the average). Not a big fan of the whole number scale, but if I have to use it, it's out of 7.

Consider the facts. It's the GTA III of this console generation. It did a lot of things well (general graphics, control/movement, and atmosphere by far), and fell flat in a select few areas (player reward, mainly). It also had a well-done multi-player mode, which unfortunately got ruined by modders. I can't hold that against Rockstar, as people shouldn't be doing sh*t like that in the first place.

Not like all the modders are bad (some work together with regular players), but I'll stick to the main point at hand.

A lot of folks are upset that GTA IV lacks some of the great things that VC and SA built upon III, and I can understand that. I was one of the people who felt like that as well, but after time passed, I was cool with it all. Some of the hyperbole in reviews didn't really help, either, the "Oscar-worthy" being the one I've heard brought up the most, but anyone taking that review (let alone any review like that) at face value deserves the egg on their face.

GTA IV's a great game. It's got its faults, but it's a great game. I'll say "somewhat overrated" in terms of reviewers, and "somewhat underrated" in terms of players, since some of them feel like it's their job to balance out said reviews.

I can definitely agree with that. Looking at GTA IV on its own the rewards are simply sh*t.

I've shown alot of dislike for the 200 flyings rats, but if wasn't for the fact the side missions interested me I wouldn't bother with them otherwise.

Alot of other open world games provide incentive and reward, but GTA IV seemed harsh. It was somewhat rectified in TLAD and TBOGT however.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Thursday, Jun 20 2013, 23:17)

Also, prepare to fly out the windshield a lot, because the russian hitman can't remember to put on a seatbelt and you physically can't do it yourself. The game won't let you.

That's actually not true. Much like if you jump on a bike and drive right away, you don't get a helmet, if you get in the car (without jacking it, or get out holding exit to turn off and lock the car) and don't move, just get in and let him ready WITHOUT holding the gas as soon as you jump in (again, like bikes and helmets), niko will not fly out of the car. Am I sure? No. But with limited trial, it appears to be the case to me. I was unable to eject Niko whenever I tried it this way, but usually, no chance, because when jacking, you're tapping gas and break to do it faster, and when hopping in a car, you tend to be pushing the gas before the enter anim finishes, so you never get to see it - next time you play IV, try getting in your parked/saved car and JUST press the enter button, wait until he is in and waiting for the next input, crash your car a bunch, he shouldn't fly out icon14.gif

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

IV is nowhere near being overrated. The game is simply amazing, and so many people love it. It's complete normal.

StingrayX
  • StingrayX

♢ Las Venturas ♢

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

Also, prepare to fly out the windshield a lot, because the russian hitman can't remember to put on a seatbelt and you physically can't do it yourself. The game won't let you.

There's no excuse for your horrible driving skills, lol. sigh.gif

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

I've never really understood why people complain about flying out of the windshield. It doesn't always happen.

Though is it anymore annoying than falling off a motor bike? I'm glad this was added to GTA IV.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 01:37)
Though is it anymore annoying than falling off a motor bike? I'm glad this was added to GTA IV.

On a motorbike it is expected because you don't have four doors and a windshield protecting you. In a car, it's annoying because we've been used to being safe in a car unless it's set on fire or we're thrown out. Plus a motorbike is smaller which makes it easier to go through traffic without crashing into other vehicles.

To answer the topic question, I think IV is extremely overrated. Nowhere near the best imo yet so many talk about it as if it is the best in the series. All the "realism" added into the game only makes it harder to enjoy a game and that's why I prefer the other GTA games to it. Some cool additions like the cover system but otherwise, I hate some of the changes such as weapon limitation, flying through a windshield and losing health/armor with every bump against objects.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:15 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 28 June 2013 - 03:32 AM.

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 12:26)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 01:37)

On a motorbike it is expected because you don't have four doors and a windshield protecting you. In a car, it's annoying because we've been used to being safe in a car unless it's set on fire or we're thrown out. Plus a motorbike is smaller which makes it easier to go through traffic without crashing into other vehicles.

To answer the topic question, I think IV is extremely overrated. Nowhere near the best imo yet so many talk about it as if it is the best in the series. All the "realism" added into the game only makes it harder to enjoy a game and that's why I prefer the other GTA games to it. Some cool additions like the cover system but otherwise, I hate some of the changes such as weapon limitation, flying through a windshield and losing health/armor with every bump against objects.

Oh come on. You guys make it sound like Niko goes through the windshield in every crash.

It only occurs when it's a heavy impact and you have to go pretty fast.

It doesn't "always" happen. It's like the "constant" phone calls. It's exaggerated to be worse than it really is.

As for losing health with every bump against objects again that's another exaggeration. I can see your point if you're only talking about cars when Niko crosses roads or when he's drunk, but "objects" is very broad. That could mean anything in the game really.

Niko can bump into all sorts of objects without losing health so what "objects" are you referring to?

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 22:15)
As for losing health with every bump against objects again that's another exaggeration.
Niko can bump into all sorts of objects without losing health so what "objects" are you referring to?

In all seriousness; I have had Niko lose health due walking over a curb many times. I've had Little Jacob die because he tried to walk through a door. When it swung open it killed him.

I play on PS3. I'm not sure if there are differences in platforms that make this happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users