Photo

Is GTA IV overrated?

161 replies to this topic
Mr J. Thompson
  • Mr J. Thompson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:08 AM

Ok, dont get up in arms yet, Ive read heaps of reviews and they all say its the best GTA and one of the best games ever. I would normally just get the game and find out myself, but its a bit hard when you dont have a PS3 or 360. All I want to know is it genuinely worth the hype, from those of you who already have it, not those who think they know. I'm not saying its overrated or anything, I just want a real idea of whether it really is as good as they say it is or whether they are just blowing their load and saying its "the greatest" because its a new GTA game. I'm sure it kicks ass, of course, but what are your thoughts? Tell the truth.

Cheers.

twistedrazzor
  • twistedrazzor

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:08 AM

underated mate, deserved 20/10

elmoape
  • elmoape

Clover Gang

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:09 AM

look at your name. you disgust me.

Mr J. Thompson
  • Mr J. Thompson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (elmoape @ Apr 29 2008, 05:09)
look at your name. you disgust me.

I'm taking the piss.

kakkerlak
  • kakkerlak

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:21 AM

Hell no!! Only four hours of school and i will be able to play PS3 GTA IV. cool.gif cool.gif

Jc84144
  • Jc84144

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:12 AM

It certainly is the best GTA ever made. (even though I've only been playing it for 5 hours.)

However, I do know of a few people who were disappointed with it. I think it all comes down to what you are expecting out of this game. I do know some people who got disillusioned about how fantastic a video game could possibly be, and thus expected too much.

I myself however, was surprised at how good it was. I thought it was going to be a fantastic game, and certainly was going to be my favourite game ever, but there was a few times in those last few days when I started to worry, what if it doesn't live up to the hype? I knew it had lots of 10/10 reviews, so I assumed it had to be good... but was I expecting too much? I was very happy when I first played it to find out that I wasn't, and it was even slightly better than I thought.

It's certainly worth buying an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 for GTA 4. Graphics and game play are stunning. Certainly the best GTA, if not the best game ever.

[-Vice-Andreas-]
  • [-Vice-Andreas-]

neworderarmy

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:19 AM

I picked up my copy for 360 today, the game is pretty stunning. But like you said, there were a few disappointments initially... but they were outweighed with the little surprises in the game that they never talked too much about. Big things like not being able to ride the Rollercoaster, were a slight disappointment. But I was equally impressed by all the little details... the way the roads look, the weather effects (especially the lightning and wet roads), people washing shop windows, being able to throw bricks at people in the face, and seeing people in a diner reading books, drinking coffee, and people passing you on the street answering their cellphone and engaging in conversation. There are a few things missing from the GTA we're used to, but there a tons of little things here and there that won't totally jump out at you... you have to look closely and appreciate the world of Liberty City, it really is detailed!

Also, I was very impressed by the amount of peds and traffic! Somebody said there is no bumper to bumper traffic... yet I was standing infront of the rollercoaster and just about the entire street had cars banked up in one lane. Literally bumper to bumper. And there are heaps of peds... like so many that I keep accidently killing them all the time!

Trismegistos
  • Trismegistos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:52 AM

I think that the game is fantastic. I've been playing for a couple of days now and they have been some of the best gaming days of my life.

I think that the Australian IGN rating of 9.8 was too low, especially considering that they based that score on the fact that the next sequel would surpass this one.

It is a definite must buy. Everyone that doesn't own an Xbox 360 or PS3 needs to go out and purchase one for this game.

And the game is immaculate on both systems, buy the console based on the other games that you are going to play on that system (Halo, Bioshock, Forza vs GT5, MGS4, Drakes Fortune)

p99glock
  • p99glock

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

damn i got it today finally and i keep thinking for some dumb reason i bought it straight when it came out i keep thinking that a updated version is gonna come out like a few months after that would take the piss!!anyway i got so yeah niggaz my covers the original ps3 one is there anynmore covers out???

Evolution X0
  • Evolution X0

I'm Batman

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

i hate having a toothake... sad.gif it ruins my gameplay on this game.

anyone up for 16 man bat fight on top of a skyscraper? biggrin.gif

chassit
  • chassit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Seriously, I think it IS overrated although not much. Even gamespot which is famous for its strict reviewing system gave it a 10/10. No game is perfect, and AI problem in GTA4 is more than ignoreable. Many time you will be frustrated by your friend who can't find a way into your car when LCPD is right at your ass. It's not a big problem but have to be counted when reviewing this game.

A 9 or 9.5 is more proper IMO.

StyluZ
  • StyluZ

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (chassit @ Apr 29 2008, 09:12)

Agree'd. Still a great game though

Neolistic
  • Neolistic

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Wow some people are ungrateful pos losers. BE happy you arnt the majority of the population that cant even find a clean drink of water to drink, let alone get one of the greatest games of all time. You sicken me, and I hope I never see your faces around these boards ever again!

lugnut
  • lugnut

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Neolistic @ Apr 29 2008, 11:52)
Wow some people are ungrateful pos losers. BE happy you arnt the majority of the population that cant even find a clean drink of water to drink, let alone get one of the greatest games of all time. You sicken me, and I hope I never see your faces around these boards ever again!

That's the most inane comparison I've ever heard. Starving children are dying so we can't discuss this game in any sort of critical light? It's a f*cking message board, dude. You know, where people communicate -- not just blindly fawn like cult-members.

derty
  • derty

My member's custom title is "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

Truthful answer?

PS3 version? No. It barely got ANY hype.

360 version? f*ck yea. It even has empty gimmicks.

You know what they say about braggarts with flashy cars. Compensation. moto_whistle.gif

JordanMillward_1
  • JordanMillward_1

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (StyluZ @ Apr 29 2008, 11:44)

Agree'd. Still a great game though

QFT

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

Seriously, I think it IS overrated although not much. Even gamespot which is famous for its strict reviewing system gave it a 10/10. No game is perfect, and AI problem in GTA4 is more than ignoreable. Many time you will be frustrated by your friend who can't find a way into your car when LCPD is right at your ass. It's not a big problem but have to be counted when reviewing this game.

....a 10 does not mean a perfect game. If it did then no game would get it. A 10 just means that everything is mostly perfect and there maybe small flaws but you can overlook them. I, personally, don't care about reviews. I play my games and I don't need someone to tell me how a game is. Although this game is not perfect, it is nearly perfect and R* worked hard on this thing. If every other developer took the time to put as much detail into games as they did gaming would be more considered an art form.

Definately a 9.5-10

Speaking of horrible games. Anybody see the new 50 cent game? 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand (<----even the name sucks) somehow 50 cent weak ass is in the middle east fighting terrorist and some pale ass white guy.

jimbo227
  • jimbo227

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

not overrated in any way, it is simply a masterpiece, well worthy of its 10/10 smile.gif

nbond99
  • nbond99

Agent of Chaos

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (jimbo227 @ Apr 29 2008, 12:21)
not overrated in any way, it is simply a masterpiece, well worthy of its 10/10 smile.gif

I completely agree. After playing all night, I can say I was completely and utterly blown away by this masterpiece of a game.

BIGmanSMALLdick
  • BIGmanSMALLdick

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

I would give it 10/10...

Jamezz
  • Jamezz

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:26 PM

Well i've been playing it since i got it this morning, and i can say it easily deserved the 10/10 and im only like 5 missions through.. so it can only get better so yeah if anything mate, its underated

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was going to make a topic, then I found this. I do think it is a bit overrated. The only reason why people here think different is, because this is GTAFORUMS and this is the GTA IV section, so you will obviously expect fanboys.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 20:03)
I was going to make a topic, then I found this. I do think it is a bit overrated. The only reason why people here think different is, because this is GTAFORUMS and this is the GTA IV section, so you will obviously expect fanboys.

I'm not a fanboy...
...But you should give us a good reason why GTA IV is overrated, hell, it's way underrated, you have no idea how many hate it's getting, and how many sh*t the game is getting from SA fanboys.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

It was quite innovative by the time it was released.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (lol232 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 22:07)
I'm not a fanboy...
...But you should give us a good reason why GTA IV is overrated, hell, it's way underrated, you have no idea how many hate it's getting, and how many sh*t the game is getting from SA fanboys.

Tanks, properties, few interiors(one mission interiors don't count), army bases, planes, jets, few cheats, gambling, ''floaty'' car control, robbing houses, minigun, car custumisation, hair cuts, tatoos, fitness, parachute, jetpacks, big map, rocket launcher shoots straight and bicycles

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 22:45)
and how many sh*t the game is getting from SA fanboys.

Tanks, properties, few interiors(one mission interiors don't count), army bases, planes, jets, few cheats, gambling, ''floaty'' car control, robbing houses, minigun, car custumisation, hair cuts, tatoos, fitness, parachute, jetpacks, big map, rocket launcher shoots straight and bicycles

Exactly like what you said, lol232...

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 20:45)
I'm not a fanboy...

That's exactly what every typical SA fanboy says.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (lol232 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 23:50)
QUOTE (lucid121 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 20:45)
I'm not a fanboy...

That's exactly what every typical SA fanboy says.

Lol, but that doesn't change the fact that it's true. Does Gta iv have those things? No. That's the reason, why Rockstar are returning those things in Gta v.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:18 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 19 June 2013 - 02:20 AM.

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 06:03)

So you bump a 5 year old thread and have a shot at GTA IV fans in the process?

What's your intention here? I understand why people would find GTA IV overrated, but there are better ways to get your point across without being a troll.

BTW your signature is way oversize so expect it to be disabled.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (lucid121 @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 00:00)
Lol, but that doesn't change the fact that it's true. Does Gta iv have those things? No. That's the reason, why Rockstar are returning those things in Gta v.

Half of that sh*t was useless...
...I mean...
...Haircuts, tatoos, fitness, car customisation (other than NoS which you have in the TBoGT)...
Also, the 'few cheats' part, cheats are for pussies so who gives a sh*t about them anyway,
If you want parachutes and Tanks, you have TBoGT.
The 'floaty car control', I don't know what you mean by that, GTA IV driving physics were perfect, I just loved them.
Planes, jets? That's the same thing, honestly, planes wouldn't be son fun on IV map.
Speaking of a Big map, most of the SA Map was kind of repetitive, while in every other GTA Game every block was different.
Most of the interiors in SA were Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

You can't rate a game on something it doesn't have, you rate it on things it has.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users