149 replies to this topic
KingyThePothead
  • KingyThePothead

Smoker of Da'Herb!

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (OmniAtlas @ Jun 12 2008, 12:20)
QUOTE (cat33 @ May 29 2008, 20:44)
Lately I've been having the same problem. I got my 40GB PS3 for Christmas 2007 because i knew GTA IV was coming out sometime in April. So I went out and bought Need for Speed Pro Street for the PS3 and i beat the game a began playing online and got COD4 and played it, beat the storyline, and played online alot. Then I quit playing COD4 when GTA IV came out and I played through the story line with no problem and beat it around 2-3 days ago. I began crusing around and stuff and noticing my textures were taking a second or two longer to load only in certain places but not very often and then I started playing online and I got on couple of games. Then, last night I tried Race on MP and i did one lap and on the second one it just froze and i was like "huh...thats weird" because itd never froze before then. So I turned it on this morning and played about 10-12 minutes and it just froze so, i was like "sh*t". Turned it off, tried it again, same thing. What should i do? Call Sony?

Its really weird, but my system crashing also started AFTER I beat the game. I had no problems with single player before then. I sent it in to Sony for a replacement because my stupid ps3 red-lighted on me and won't even turn on.

Is this a Sony problem or a rockstar problem? I didn't know software could screwup the hardware in such a bad way.

Anyway, now my savegames are gone and i'm looking for a 68% complete save game so I can do all the side missions.

chances are mate yours is not the same problem as the OP has a 360, whitch in all hounesty was a flawed prototype that should never have been released when it was!

but you could start by checking similar things like ventalation, making sure its always cool, make sure its lying down and not standing up on its side, and make sure its off the floor, and also that its dust free and the disks are spotless!

OmniAtlas
  • OmniAtlas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

Got a new ps3 from Sony, working fine now. Lets hope it doesn't crash again, they gave me another refurbished (or brand new?) 60 GB PS3.

I'm afraid to play the game, stupid rockstar. I think I'll wait until another patch comes out.

khaan
  • khaan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

Asked yesterday when will be patch for x360 released, got answer:

A patch should be released over the next week and this should hopefully fix any issues still occurring within the game.

OmniAtlas
  • OmniAtlas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (khaan @ Jun 18 2008, 16:57)
Asked yesterday when will be patch for x360 released, got answer:

A patch should be released over the next week and this should hopefully fix any issues still occurring within the game.

Good. Perhaps a PS3 patch is on the way as well then.

CobraRB
  • CobraRB

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

i play on the ps3 and today this f*cking game broke my bluray reader.the bluray reader can be repaired?

DEV1L
  • DEV1L

Dancer

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

I have just got GTA back after I heard about the patch but it still freezes all the time sad.gif

GTA_dog
  • GTA_dog

Good vibes

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Snake Without a Tongue @ Apr 29 2008, 00:30)
Jeez, I just bought mine, can't play it because I got work in the morning, but now you guys are freaking me out. Seems like everybody is freezing up. Hope GTAIV doesn't turn out to be a glitchy bust.

Don't worry. My game never froze, but I guess I'm running it on an 360 Elite.

razzo1
  • razzo1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

yep this happenend to me when i was doing police car missons i could not get the phone and i restarted the ps3 and now games will not play on it biggrin.gif

ApplePieMolester81
  • ApplePieMolester81

Im an Idiot.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

I finally got done with the 1st mission with Bernie, just started the 2nd having to chase down the blackmailers and it froze about 3 seconds into the chase. The sound of the car was still on but it froze and wouldent do nothing. Sorry as I am new to next gen consoles but does anyone know what this might be? I was reading previous replies here and maybe it was a ventilation issue? Because I had my 360 flat down and not placed upwards. It's a Used Arcade Core System but ive only had it for 10 days now.

DJBENNY
  • DJBENNY

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

colgate.gif gtaiv is a game in which data is constantly being streamed from the disk to the console some drives (mainly benqs) are experienceing trouble being able to maintain this. thats wat i have been told neway guys just tryin to help happy gameing my friends.

medcherk
  • medcherk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:33 PM

hi all. i just got the gta bug after playing for month without problems, but now the playstation wont read any game anymore. i m wondering, do they replace it for free? its less than a year old. anyone know where i should take it? i m in france.
thanks guys

Jussi69
  • Jussi69

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:31 PM Edited by Jussi69, 22 October 2008 - 10:48 PM.

I just registered and read the whole thread as I am obviously not the only person to encounter the freeze bug. I got a brand new XBOX Arcade a few days ago + GTA 4 (that was the reason to switch to console).
I was looking forward to just flipping in a disc and play without having any goddamn trouble on graphics stuff etc anymore (I have been playing PC before only). I have already played the game a lot, and I am already pretty far I guess. During the first days I played it like 8 hours non stop and had no problem. Then all of a sudden the game froze and this is one thing I cannot understand. I mean I get a brand new console and a game crashes?wtf?! So during the last days the freeze thing happens again and again after a few minutes sometimes already. Especially in "Museum Piece" it crashed twice. I also realised that the textures, as already stated above somehwere, begin to disappear 2 seconds before the freeze or smth. The XBOX cannot handle the game or what? I have the Arcade version, including a 256 MB Stick and obviously the BenQ Drive. Furthermore I had the Console in horizontal position as the guy in the shop where I bought it said that*d be better for the drive. I put it in vertical position now and I will report if the bug happens again. I think the console is not too warm as it stands in an upright position now (is that better?). Could it maybe be that there is not enough power for the console or smth? The big cable thing is rather warm but I suppose thats normal. Anyway, it's pretty frustrating that you finish those bloody missions later on that are hard sometimes and then your console crashes. This is something that might happen on computers, but should not on a console. Also, I dont understand, why after a mission the console says smth like saving bla bla but in the end I have to start all over again. This sucks hard.

edit btw together with the new update for xbox 360 I will get a 20gig hdd, maybe that fixes the issue as well.

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

WHAT!?

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (GTA_dog @ Aug 4 2008, 18:31)
QUOTE (Snake Without a Tongue @ Apr 29 2008, 00:30)
Jeez, I just bought mine, can't play it because I got work in the morning, but now you guys are freaking me out. Seems like everybody is freezing up. Hope GTAIV doesn't turn out to be a glitchy bust.

Don't worry. My game never froze, but I guess I'm running it on an 360 Elite.

I have the 360 Elite. I got my game to damn near 98% then out of nowhere it just freezes. I can't play my console for more then 10min at a time.

I've posted about this several times over the last few months and received no help. I'm guessing nobody knows what to do about it. Neither Microsoft, nor Rockstar support were helpful at all. I only bought the damn Xbox so I could play GTA IV. I really don't care if it gets fixed at this point, I'm just gonna buy it on PC and be done with it. Its just pretty lame that you can spend over $400.00 on a console and another $80.00 on a game (I got the special edition) and still end up not being able to play it because companies can't opt test their product correctly.

Jussi69
  • Jussi69

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

For me it works fine now, now freezes or crashes anymore, until now. I got my console in an vertical position now, thus it can suck air from all directions. The AC Adapter is hanging over a lamp, so it gets air from all directions as well.
Fixed the problem for me.

m3ckf4c3
  • m3ckf4c3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

I too am having this issue. I just purchased a brand new xbox 360 arcade on Nov. 11th 2008 and also purchased GTA IV. I played it for around a week with no trouble at all. It was flawless and I got to about 40 or 50 missions in and then I started having trouble with the game. It will sometimes go for about 20 or 30 mins before freezing and other times it will freeze on load up or randomly throughout the game. Most of everyones issues on here sound very similar to what I'm experiencing.

I have been trying my hardest to think what could have caused it since it was fine previously. I don't have internet at home so for the first week or so it was never connected to live or anything. Then I took it to a friends house to connect to live and got an update to play .avi files on the xbox and I downloaded the updated dashboard that is out now. I did NOT play gta at all or even attempt to load it when I did this.

when I took it back home after that I started noticing that it has issues and was freezing up on me. My console doesn't have a H.D. and came with a 256 memory card. I have been scouring the web reading about ton's of people that have had the issue with it freezing but nothing about a fix for it.

I did eventually stumble across a post mentioning that rockstar had released some sort of automatic update that will download when you connect to live so I took my xbox to a friends again to connect online and ran the game and it prompted me about an update and I accepted. I thought that would be the end of it but it's not. The issue is as bad as before if not worse now.

I contacted microsoft and the robot that answered the phone asked if I had red lights on the console and if it turned on and off. He completely ignored anything I was trying to tell him to clue him in as to what may be going on or causing the issue. His answer was that if there is no red lights and it turns on and off that I need to send the console in for repair.

I contacted rockstar support and they asked me a series of questions but it seemed like a canned response that they cut and paste instead of specifically answering what you say to them. They have been absolutely unhelpful so far. Each time they email back with an auto-response they say issue resolved. So I keep opening it back up by responding to them trying to give more detail about my issue but still no help at all. They have not responded to my last email at all and it has been several days now. I am so frustrated b/c I am now right near the end of the game on one of the last few missions I believe where you choose revenge or the deal and it locks up every single time b/c each mission is a time consuming one. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated b/c rockstar and microsoft made me feel like this is not a known issue and don't seem to be listening to me at all. I expected a little more from microsoft but I guess that I hoped for too much. Their tech's or the one I spoke with was reading off his screen to me instead of listening and trying to help me.

J-Rigity
  • J-Rigity

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (MrGizmo @ Apr 28 2008, 22:11)
QUOTE (DEV1L @ Apr 28 2008, 23:10)
I got GTA on Sunday and it freezes and I have to restart the console it happens every hour or so, I thought it may be a dodgy disc, so I took the disc back to the shop and got a new one and almost 40 mins into the game and it froze on me again.

This is really annoying especially when playing online, my console is fine (360) all my other games work perfectly well it only happens on GTA is anyone else getting this ?

Your console is obviously not fine, as you are the only person having this problem.

I've been having the same problem. All my other games work just fine. Played COD: w@w for hours with no problem. Pop GTA4 in and it freezes within 5 to 15 mins. Whats really weird is that it never did this back when GTA came out, this just started happening about a month ago. I've cleared the cache, tried other GTA discs, deleted and recover my profile, even bought another HDD, still to no avail. I admit, I do have a 3 year old Xbox but have never had problems till now. I don't get the crazy graphics or whatever though. What is up with all this???

elusion
  • elusion

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

Got a 360 for Christmas, with GTA IV for it. Got the same problem as so many of you people. Is it really true that Rockstar hasn't done anything for over 6 moths?! No working patch or anything?! Can't believe this. This is really a great game but it's so ruined by the god damn freezing all the time!! Haven't Rockstar had any announcement about what they are doing to fix this?

Anyway, gonna try to have the console vertical, hopefully it will solve my problems *fingers crossed*

danielbeier
  • danielbeier

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (DEV1L @ Apr 28 2008, 22:10)
I got GTA on Sunday and it freezes and I have to restart the console it happens every hour or so, I thought it may be a dodgy disc, so I took the disc back to the shop and got a new one and almost 40 mins into the game and it froze on me again.

This is really annoying especially when playing online, my console is fine (360) all my other games work perfectly well it only happens on GTA is anyone else getting this ?

dont buy crappy game than nothing is freezing hahaha tounge.gif

FRAGEYE
  • FRAGEYE

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

This is not good at all what i here, long are the days of console simplicity.
I would say just try to keep the consoles cool as overheating does cause crashing.

Garnbag
  • Garnbag

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (elusion @ Dec 30 2008, 16:54)
Got a 360 for Christmas, with GTA IV for it. Got the same problem as so many of you people. Is it really true that Rockstar hasn't done anything for over 6 moths?! No working patch or anything?! Can't believe this. This is really a great game but it's so ruined by the god damn freezing all the time!! Haven't Rockstar had any announcement about what they are doing to fix this?

Anyway, gonna try to have the console vertical, hopefully it will solve my problems *fingers crossed*

do you have the arcade or premium?

elusion
  • elusion

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Garnbag @ Dec 30 2008, 19:39)
QUOTE (elusion @ Dec 30 2008, 16:54)

do you have the arcade or premium?

Got the Premium!

Have been trying to put the console in vertical position now, but it dosen't help! The console is cool, nothing warm anywhere where i feel, so it's really annoying! Will I ever have the opportunity to play this game normal? Stuck on the same mission now cause now the god damned freeze!

traken
  • traken

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

I also got a 360 for Christmas. Jasper Arcade version with a Lite-On drive. GTA would freeze up usually when I was in a car, going fast, radio blasting, and the passenger talking. After putting on a HDD, I installed GTA to the HDD, and Voila! No more problems.

So try installing to the HDD if you can.

Jumanous
  • Jumanous

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:13 AM

I'll start by saying Rockstar have outdone themselves with this game. Love it. Also, I like the way they have protected their game using windows live / rockstar social club... however I really really wish they got rid of the DVD check. It is so annoying having to put the DVD in the drive whenever I want to play the game. Especially considering the other copy protections are so effective anyway. (good online play is always the best copy protection!!)

Where exactly in the game you experienced the issue (start screen, while playing the game, etc.)

Entering the ally way in the bank robbery I consistently get lock ups. I made it through the last time and got to the subway, and it freeze there, now it's locking up at the same place roughly every time. Sometimes it is changing weapons, sometimes it isn't.

What version of the game you have (retail, steam, other online store)

Retail version

What is your OS

vista home premium x64 sp1 (fully up to date)

Hardware
Q6600 2.4GHz, Geforce 280GTX, P35-DS4, 8GB RAM, DX10

elusion
  • elusion

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (traken @ Jan 4 2009, 00:48)
I also got a 360 for Christmas. Jasper Arcade version with a Lite-On drive. GTA would freeze up usually when I was in a car, going fast, radio blasting, and the passenger talking. After putting on a HDD, I installed GTA to the HDD, and Voila! No more problems.

So try installing to the HDD if you can.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

It worked!!! No my game plays fine! Have been playing for three hours now, without any freezes!!!
Anyone who has a Xbox witch allows you to save the games to the hard drive, do this!!

THANK YOUUU!!!

kneedles_cane
  • kneedles_cane

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:28 AM

I have the an xbox 360 arcade, purchased on 1/1/09 (i got it on new years but it was bought bout a week earlier). I have played all my games fine on my x box accept for gta 4. Which kinda sux coz it's really good when you play it.
It has never frozen in a cut scene...but more randomly when i niked a car or when i crashed into a pillar, and stood in front of the china shop.
I read all these posts...and installed it on my hardrive (play it off hardrive) and got a big fan and have it fanning the xbox.
This is what i got from doing this. I started palying at 12: 37 AM And it fr0ze at 2:23 (clocking up 1 hour 46 minutes before it froze) when loading the last mission for vlad.
No biggy "better than my other runs" i thought. So i turned it back on...mission loaded fine so i started playing again at 2:24 AM...it played flawlessly...but i ran out of rockstar (no joke intended) got tired and turned it off....out of choice at 4:20 AM...essentially getting 1 hour and 56 minutes of playing...before i had to sleep. I woke up and am posting this now...i will play again soon with no stopping...which should tell me how long again i can get before it freezes.

Personally i am rather entertained by the fact that what is quite possibly the most anticipated game is F*#@ing up globaly. ( I am sorry for the poor people who have had it freeze) The part i like is that a huge business can potentially tank because of the carelessness of the workers and there "your problem" attitude. I mean there heart was in the rite place making such a good game...but they were so occupied in making the best gam ever... that they forgot to make it work...This is a dark day for rockstar...and honestly i hope they don't see the sunshine ever again.

dryan
  • dryan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

tryr downloading the game to your xbox 360, i was having the same freezing problems then i downloaded the game to the hard drive and i haven't had a problem since.

logitechdog
  • logitechdog

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:58 AM

well if they have to dev the game anyway like XNA does... you have the xbox hooked up to the pc... and install it onto the hdd...

they would not be burning it onto a disk... so when they went to slap it on the disk and maybe not tryied it... or bother thinking the limitations of the disk drive to cause a problem...

logitechdog
  • logitechdog

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:08 AM

as for kneedles_cane

have your cleared your xbox cache?

Go to the system blade and then select memory.

Press Y on the HD symbol and then press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X.

Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage

xboxplayer2009
  • xboxplayer2009

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:13 PM Edited by xboxplayer2009, 25 March 2009 - 07:18 PM.

QUOTE (HERDIST @ Apr 28 2008, 22:47)
QUOTE (DEV1L @ Apr 29 2008, 00:29)
every other game is fine tho, I have been playing loads of games on it, and they all work perfectly fine.

What is your Xbox 360's driver? BenQ?

I've heard that Xbox 360's with BenQ driver having some troubles about texture loading etc.

You can understand which driver Your Xbox 360 have with this image:

user posted image

Also which version do you have? Arcade Pack or the Premium pack?

Thanks for this information man! icon14.gif
I've got the same problem like many here with gta 4 at my 360. I played games like halo 3 and call of duty 4 before, those games worked normal,
but since yesterday I have got gta 4 and the same day it fozen 3 times, today 5 times,
it really pisses me off when I am playing. I bought my 360 +- 2 months ago and it is an arcade pack. But I've got a hard drive on it of 20 gig.
I think all arcade got the benQ driver, but I hope/think I can bring it up to the store and get a better Cd driver.
But one thing; I must wait a time before I can play gta again sad.gif
Edit: Oh yeah, I 've saved my game to the hdd already and it still wont work....

Digitalwolf3
  • Digitalwolf3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (shin_low @ Apr 28 2008, 23:46)
If you go fast in car the grapics take time to render like in GTA SA for pc

It depends on your computer, I get no lag in GTA SA and no render probs..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users