Quantcast

» «
Photo

Any news on downloadable content for the PS3?

54 replies to this topic
DDR Midian
  • DDR Midian

<3 Banshee

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Sircus @ Apr 26 2008, 22:43)
QUOTE (SoSoildGTAKid04 @ Apr 26 2008, 21:35)
Exactly. MS didn't do that for no reason. They did so they have that edge over Sony. So no PS3 wont have ANY DLC. I believe.

wrong. Microsoft only paid 50 million for time exclusivity. that means the same DLC will come to the PS3 but after the xbox. microsoft paid 50 million for 6 months. what else do you expect from capitalistic f*cks like them anyway

Y'know, there isn't a single source citing time exclusivity. $50 million would be WAY too much for a measly 6 month head start.

Coltrane's Muse
  • Coltrane's Muse

From the Ashes, I Arise....

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:45 PM

I wouldn't rule out a possible disc release sometime next year.

xenorevlis
  • xenorevlis

Sony FPQA

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

One issue that was never confirmed was to what extent that $50 million was for. As far as I can tell, aside from (time?) exclusive episodic content it was also part of their marketing budget for exclusive ads such as the UK / Irish commercial.

Microsoft DID say that they would be heavily promoting it in the vein of Halo 3 and $50 million could include some of the pre-release advertising.

Either way, expect a patch every now and again on both systems that - besides fixing bugs - also adds minor content to both.

poisonpk
  • poisonpk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (xenorevlis @ Apr 26 2008, 21:50)
Both consoles will have various DLC, including some potential HOME integration for the PS3.

However, the first two (of more?) episodes Rockstar will release are exclusive to the XBOX 360.

EDIT - Why do so many people "hope" that one console will not get anything and theirs will? It's quite odd that you would hate it for people on another console to get some extra content, especially when all it would do is benefit Rockstar and Take Two - allowing for further development options.

couldnt of put this better myself

i think its really looserish how people actually want another console NOT to get DLC or other things. how does it benfit you if the other console doesnt get things? it doesnt. i have both 360 and PS3, and although i prefer PS3, i dont wish bad things on the 360? im getting the PS3 version first, and then maybe i'll get the 360 version when the price has fallen significantly.

GuruAskew
  • GuruAskew

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Microsoft doesn't need to make that $50 million directly from the downloadable content. By making the deal Microsoft essentially guaranteed that anyone who owns both systems or owns neither and is up in the air will go with them. Even without knowing what the content is it's still already a huge deciding factor between Xbox 360 and PS3 right now.

They made a $50 million investment that will pay off on Tuesday and will pay off both times they release their episodic content.

Furthermore, there will be PS3 owners that love the game and can't resist the allure of the additional content. As an Xbox owner last generation I played III and VC in the 2-pack and when SA came out I didn't want to wait 6 months so I bought a PS2. If the content is as great as the rumors suggest it will be enough to get people to buy a 360, and unlike the SA situation this isn't a 6-month wait we're talking about here, we're talking about EXCLUSIVITY.

boogernut
  • boogernut

boogernut

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

wait wait wait...

but here is the thing everyone, it sounds pretty definite, i've seen it in many places now, that PS3 is eventually getting extra/i think new DLC, it maybe for MS too, but PS3 is getting it

and MS obviously thought all of this through and had a reason to buy it, yeah, they may not be able to pay that back, but maybe they had a new reason

such as (only a few of many POSSIBLE REASONS)

- they thought more people would buy Xbox versions because of the DLC
- they thought more people would buy the console rather than buying a PS3
- or maybe they just wanted to have at least one thing that they could definitely say they had on sony/ps3/other consoles

even if they didn't think of every aspect of it, which they possible did, they obviously thought it out a little and had a reason for it

just like R* had a reason for giving it to them, and Sony had a reason for possible getting DLC in the future, and R* had a reason for giving that to sony, and everything had/has a reason in life...

not trying to preach, but just think about it, it is highly improbable that a company that big would overlook something, even if they don't make as much money, chances are they realized that and had something else in mind wink.gif

and yeah, things don't always go as planned, so maybe some things went awry for them and not as planned, but they still had a reason/expectations/plans/etc...

emigrating
  • emigrating

Playa

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

The 360 is getting two episodic DLCs, each containing at least 10 hours of additional gameplay. The first of these are to be released in August (to coincide with the SR2 release), the second is likely coming around the holiday period.

Microsoft paid $50m for these two packs, that's been confirmed all over the place - it has also been confirmed that these are fully exclusive titles, so they will never be available on the PS3.

That's not to say there won't be a third, fourth and fifth episodic content pack released further down the line which will be available on both systems, but so far nobody knows about this.

The 'confirmed' PS3 download is Home integration, although again, nothing has been said as to what sort of integration this actually is. This will (for obvious reasons) be PS3 EXCLUSIVE.

Finally, Microsoft has left it up to Rockstar to charge (or not) for the 360 explusive episodic content. From a sound business perspective R* will obviously charge for it, but as they've already received $50m it could be they will release it cheaper than comparable packs (Shivering Isles for Oblivion for example). Time will tell.

poisonpk
  • poisonpk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

also, you know the DLC is coming in autumn not august? august was a rumour smile.gif

garywobby
  • garywobby

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Worfox @ Apr 26 2008, 22:30)
Here's what I think. It's just out of plain mind and common sense.

PS3 will probably get something like new weapons, maybe some cars and such.

But, I think as they was originally thinking of releasing the Downloadable Episode to both console. It gotta be something quite big. As they talk about it alot. Why would a big company like Microsoft invest $50 mil in like a package with 3-4 mission and maybe some extra weapons. I think it's something huge, not to be fanboy. I think it may be some kind of new storyline, or an extend to the storyline that is now( Obviously I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know the story) So.. It might be those ads all over you can visit like Vice City or Los Santos. Or any old city from the old GTA's. :=) That would be cool though

Best of lucks,
Worfox.

A big company like Microsoft would advertise it as such because they want to take away sony's crown, here in the UK i've seen commercials on TV saying that x-box 360 version of GTA IV is out Monday, i've seen X-Box 360 commercials in newspapers saying GTA IV is out now, Microsoft are trying to play dirty and that's that.

DDR Midian
  • DDR Midian

<3 Banshee

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (garywobby @ Apr 26 2008, 23:05)

But, I think as they was originally thinking of releasing the Downloadable Episode to both console. It gotta be something quite big. As they talk about it alot. Why would a big company like Microsoft invest $50 mil in like a package with 3-4 mission and maybe some extra weapons. I think it's something huge, not to be fanboy. I think it may be some kind of new storyline, or an extend to the storyline that is now( Obviously I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know the story) So.. It might be those ads all over you can visit like Vice City or Los Santos. Or any old city from the old GTA's. :=) That would be cool though

Best of lucks,
Worfox.

A big company like Microsoft would advertise it as such because they want to take away sony's crown, here in the UK i've seen commercials on TV saying that x-box 360 version of GTA IV is out Monday, i've seen X-Box 360 commercials in newspapers saying GTA IV is out now, Microsoft are trying to play dirty and that's that.

Sony own a crown? biggrin.gif

garywobby
  • garywobby

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (DDR Midian @ Apr 26 2008, 23:06)
QUOTE (garywobby @ Apr 26 2008, 23:05)

Best of lucks,
Worfox.

Sony own a crown? biggrin.gif

lol.gif

motorforum
  • motorforum

ped crusher

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (emigrating @ Apr 26 2008, 22:58)
The 360 is getting two episodic DLCs, each containing at least 10 hours of additional gameplay. The first of these are to be released in August (to coincide with the SR2 release), the second is likely coming around the holiday period.

Microsoft paid $50m for these two packs, that's been confirmed all over the place - it has also been confirmed that these are fully exclusive titles, so they will never be available on the PS3.

That's not to say there won't be a third, fourth and fifth episodic content pack released further down the line which will be available on both systems, but so far nobody knows about this.

The 'confirmed' PS3 download is Home integration, although again, nothing has been said as to what sort of integration this actually is. This will (for obvious reasons) be PS3 EXCLUSIVE.

Finally, Microsoft has left it up to Rockstar to charge (or not) for the 360 explusive episodic content. From a sound business perspective R* will obviously charge for it, but as they've already received $50m it could be they will release it cheaper than comparable packs (Shivering Isles for Oblivion for example). Time will tell.

At last, someone said what I wanted to. The first two DLCs are 360 only. That's what $50m bought.

10 hours extra from one pack is a quarter of the story line (going by the 40hrs the testers completed it in), so that's a fair whack of extra GTA and we don't know what that is. It could see Nico going home to Eastern Europe, it could be him going to Vice City or whatever. I don't think it'll be set in LC, because it will have been exhausted through the main game, so I really think it needs to be set somewhere else, even if it's just a remake of an old 3rd era map.

If that is how it pans out, are PS3 owners or potential owners going to want to miss out on a new setting? Exactly and MS's money would have been definitely well spent.

Rob89Uk
  • Rob89Uk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

The $50m Microsoft paid for the DLC is actually just an advance which has been given to Take-Two based on sales predictions. In the event that the DLC does not sell at the level predicted Microsoft has the ability to claw back an undisclosed proportion of the $50m sum.

"Microsoft basically said that it's happy to pay [Take-Two] in advance $50 million in revenue that [Take-Two] is going to receive from GTA IV downloads," he said.

Microsoft takes about a 30 percent cut from Xbox Live Marketplace content sales, according to Pachter.

Taking that 70/30 split (publisher/Microsoft) and the $50 million advance into account, Microsoft is apparently confident that GTA IV download revenues over Xbox Live will be at least $70 million.

If revenues don't meet that figure, Take-Two will have to return some of the advance, according to Pachter. But he said that there's no reason to believe Take-Two would actually miss that revenue target.

He also stated, "By giving this advance, Microsoft did extract from Take-Two the promise to make [GTA IV content] exclusive. But there will not be any downloadable content for PS3, at least for some time. My guess is at least for a year."

Source:

http://www.next-gen....d=6023&Itemid=2

DaWolfpack
  • DaWolfpack

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (DafWales @ Apr 26 2008, 21:48)
QUOTE (Joshua1994 @ Apr 26 2008, 21:43)
Well, 360 owners will get extra DLC. but so will Sony in the future sometime. Rockstar dont give a sh*t about Microsoft much more now, Only because they are greedy buggers paying 50 million to make the game slightly better. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Fan boy talking yeah ??
Thats an advantage of have an MS console they have the money to give you what you want and money is everything in this day and age. and as stated PS3 wont have the DLC because MS has paid that much to ensure only they can have it otherwise they wouldnt do it.<FANBOY>

Your the one that sounds like a fanboy R* never said they wouldnt have any ps3 dlc,in fact they said they probably would so get off of MS dick and stop being ignorant and making yourself look like a huge fanboy,and since so many people think the 360 version is better why couldnt have just gone without the dlc,because thats the only reason people would buy a 360 to play gta4,if MS didnt have anything to worry about they wouldnt have paid R* 50 million$,THINK BEFORE YOU POST

DDR Midian
  • DDR Midian

<3 Banshee

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Rob89Uk @ Apr 26 2008, 23:31)
The $50m Microsoft paid for the DLC is actually just an advance which has been given to Take-Two based on sales predictions. In the event that the DLC does not sell at the level predicted Microsoft has the ability to claw back an undisclosed proportion of the $50m sum.

"Microsoft basically said that it's happy to pay [Take-Two] in advance $50 million in revenue that [Take-Two] is going to receive from GTA IV downloads," he said.

Microsoft takes about a 30 percent cut from Xbox Live Marketplace content sales, according to Pachter.

Taking that 70/30 split (publisher/Microsoft) and the $50 million advance into account, Microsoft is apparently confident that GTA IV download revenues over Xbox Live will be at least $70 million.

If revenues don't meet that figure, Take-Two will have to return some of the advance, according to Pachter. But he said that there's no reason to believe Take-Two would actually miss that revenue target.

He also stated, "By giving this advance, Microsoft did extract from Take-Two the promise to make [GTA IV content] exclusive. But there will not be any downloadable content for PS3, at least for some time. My guess is at least for a year."

Source:

Regardless of whatever the hell this means for R*, MS, Sony or GTAIV, I'd like to thank Rob89Uk for actually making a post with something other than personal opinions and guesses, and posting a source to boot.

emigrating
  • emigrating

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Rob89Uk @ Apr 26 2008, 23:31)

Source:

Pachter is an ass, and if I had a dime for each 'prediction' or comment of his that's been plain out wrong I'd be a very rich man indeed.

What Microsoft said, and I quote, was "...No price has been discussed [for the DLC] yet and itís up to Rockstar whether or not they will charge for it..." - this goes against what Pachter was just quoted as saying (as per usual). They also said "...when we [Microsoft] says exclusive, it means no other system can have this content for GTA IV..." and "...think of the DLC that way, we are talking a major expansion for GTA IV...".

This was said during the bloggers breakfast (a Microsoft tradition by now) at GDC this year and there are direct quotes like above all over the net. IIRC one of the attending 'bloggers' posted the entire 'conference' as an MP3 online (although I have no link).

Of course, some of this is plain old marketing speech, but the fact they have gone on record with it speaks for itself.

This still doesn't mean the PS3 won't get any kind of DLC, and as I said earlier, it has been confirmed there is Home integration in the pipeline as well as rumors of a third episodic DLC which would be available for both the 360 and PS3 - of course, if said 'episode' turns out to be a reality we're looking at a release of roughly a year from now - a time when R* would most likely already be working on a completely new project (think GTA III -> Vice City or San Andreas).

BlademanX
  • BlademanX

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Boods @ Apr 26 2008, 22:31)
I thought due to MS paying the $50m, then they'll get their 2 exclusive DLC.

Just my 2 cents.

fanboys should Read what you just typed. EXCLUSIVE" as in PS3 are not getting that particular DLC ever. Can someone correct me if im wrong where does it state that PS3 will not get a different kind of DLC>....exclusive deos not mean PS3 will never get a DLC. Exclusive means they will never get the same DLC as 360! dozingoff.gif

gtaivjamie
  • gtaivjamie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

I beleive that the ps3 will get DLC, about a month later than the xbox:

PSW magazine: exclusive GTA IV DLC for PS3 & Home inclusion

According to rumors in the latest issue of PSW magazine, the PS3 will likely be getting exclusive GTA IV content. They also say that GTA IV will tie in with Playstation Home and that exclusive Home unlockables will be made available. They say that a GTA IV home space will come packed with Rockstar-themes T-shirts, caps and other goods that will let you customize your avatar. They also say you will be able to invite friends over to chat in Home before you go on a co-op mission.
smile.gif

BlademanX
  • BlademanX

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

No one asked microsoft to waste money at the end of the day. The money could have been for something else not just DLC. Maybe something more sinister like a future exclusive game or something. No one knows.

as far as DLC continuing the story fat chance. The story is finished at the end of the game and thats that. Any continuing story will be released on both consoles..Rockstar would never agree to continue the story on just one console. Unless Rockstar are trying to be like the other companies and just chasing the money rather than pleasing the people who make them the money.

emigrating
  • emigrating

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (BlademanX @ Apr 27 2008, 10:13)
as far as DLC continuing the story fat chance. The story is finished at the end of the game and thats that. Any continuing story will be released on both consoles..Rockstar would never agree to continue the story on just one console. Unless Rockstar are trying to be like the other companies and just chasing the money rather than pleasing the people who make them the money.

Hah, god forbid they should actually operate like a business rather than just pleasing fans.

They have [R*] confirmed, as has MS, that the two DLC's will be episodic content - this means there will, at the very least, be new missions. A mission, no matter how you look at it, furthers the story. Perhaps it's not a continuation on the main storyline in GTA IV, but it is a story non the less.

flipcopter
  • flipcopter

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:36 PM Edited by flipcopter, 27 April 2008 - 09:43 PM.

QUOTE (DafWales @ Apr 26 2008, 21:48)
QUOTE (Joshua1994 @ Apr 26 2008, 21:43)
Well, 360 owners will get extra DLC. but so will Sony in the future sometime. Rockstar dont give a sh*t about Microsoft much more now, Only because they are greedy buggers paying 50 million to make the game slightly better. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Fan boy talking yeah ??
Thats an advantage of have an MS console they have the money to give you what you want and money is everything in this day and age. and as stated PS3 wont have the DLC because MS has paid that much to ensure only they can have it otherwise they wouldnt do it.

microsoft can afford this as they charge for their online service xbox live, so if they charge their 6 million users £4.99 only once each btw then they will stand to make £29,940,000, not exactly enough but a f*ckin huge amount for DLC i have only got an xbox 360 so im not a fanbot im just stating facts (well rough estimates)

Gueu
  • Gueu

GTA IV LOVER

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (Ash_Killem @ Apr 26 2008, 22:43)
It says on wikipedia that dlc is confirmed but the format of it has not been decided

LOL

dme
  • dme

Coal Rollin Radio: DJ Dee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

It's just announced that they will:

Even though Microsoft has bought the rights for the Downloadable content to be an Xbox 360 exclusive, Rockstar has decided to release the content for the PS3 around Q4 2008

Source

Looks like we'll be getting it after all!!!

Gueu
  • Gueu

GTA IV LOVER

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (dme @ Apr 27 2008, 22:49)
It's just announced that they will:

Even though Microsoft has bought the rights for the Downloadable content to be an Xbox 360 exclusive, Rockstar has decided to release the content for the PS3 around Q4 2008

Source

Looks like we'll be getting it after all!!!

I got owned LOL

Jayne
  • Jayne

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

PS3 will have some DLC but it WILL NOT be the episodic content that MS has locked down the exsclusive to for the 360. And the dlc for the PS3 will also be on the 360.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users