Quantcast

» «
Photo

Any news on downloadable content for the PS3?

54 replies to this topic
dingram2
  • dingram2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

I heard Microsoft have spent $50 million on content for the xbox 360.

But what about the PS3?

SoSoildGTAKid04
  • SoSoildGTAKid04

Krazy: SZC.

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

Exactly. MS didn't do that for no reason. They did so they have that edge over Sony. So no PS3 wont have ANY DLC. I believe.

rolled tight
  • rolled tight

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

Exactly. $50million is enough that they wont have to make any content for the PS3. And by time they are done working on two eposodic DLC's, I doubt they are going to start work on PS3 content rather than start on a new project all together.

DLC could take well over half a year to even see. By the time they are done, most GTA's that are going to be sold, will. DLC for PS3 wouldnt make financial sense at that time.

blazinfasstt
  • blazinfasstt

assasin

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

no!

boogernut
  • boogernut

boogernut

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (SoSoildGTAKid04 @ Apr 26 2008, 21:35)
Exactly. MS didn't do that for no reason. They did so they have that edge over Sony. So no PS3 wont have ANY DLC. I believe.

yeah, to answer the question for this thread, i heard nilch....

Since MS paid that is what MS gets..... at least.... this pertains to THE DLC THAT THEY HAVE MENTIONED/IS ALREADY PLANNED
what i am saying is, there is always a chance, PS3 gets something else/different, or that PS3 gets things in future games....

but as always... the lesson to learn here is

EVERY SYSTEM HAS VARIOUS UPS AND DOWNS FOR ALL GAMES AND EVERYTHING IN GENERAL

MS paid for THIS SPECIFIC DLC SO THEY WILL GET IT, and it sounds like- i think there was a definite announcement, PS# WON'T

but on the other hand, some other people have announced DIFFERENT BENEFITS FOR PS3 IN TERMS OF THE GAME QUALITY AND SUCH

so basically, like i said above, YOU GET GOOD AND BAD THINGS FOR ALL SYSTEMS AND ALL GAMES AND EVERYTHING IN LIFE... just be happy with the advantages you get with whatever system(s)/version(s) of it you get wink.gif

Apollo_33
  • Apollo_33

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

Do you really think they will release a DLC for Sony if Sony did not pay them? orly.gif

Ash_Killem
  • Ash_Killem

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

It says on wikipedia that dlc is confirmed but the format of it has not been decided

Joshua1994
  • Joshua1994

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

Well, 360 owners will get extra DLC. but so will Sony in the future sometime. Rockstar dont give a sh*t about Microsoft much more now, Only because they are greedy buggers paying 50 million to make the game slightly better. Ridiculous if you ask me.

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (Joshua1994 @ Apr 26 2008, 23:43)
Ridiculous if you ask me.

No, it's not, Microsoft did the right thing [for themselves].

garywobby
  • garywobby

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

In an interview with Rockstar vice president Jeronimo Barrera he states "We want this game to last for years. I'm sure we'll do another game some time in the future, but this one is built to last" before adding that the Playstation 3 will get its own downloadable content.
Source:-PSW magazine UK, issue 106

DafWales
  • DafWales

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Joshua1994 @ Apr 26 2008, 21:43)
Well, 360 owners will get extra DLC. but so will Sony in the future sometime. Rockstar dont give a sh*t about Microsoft much more now, Only because they are greedy buggers paying 50 million to make the game slightly better. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Fan boy talking yeah ??
Thats an advantage of have an MS console they have the money to give you what you want and money is everything in this day and age. and as stated PS3 wont have the DLC because MS has paid that much to ensure only they can have it otherwise they wouldnt do it.

DDR Midian
  • DDR Midian

<3 Banshee

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

PS3 will get DLC eventually. Rockstar never said they wouldn't, all they said was the 360 would get two exclusive episodes, that's it. After that, it's all up in the air.

xenorevlis
  • xenorevlis

Sony FPQA

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

Both consoles will have various DLC, including some potential HOME integration for the PS3.

However, the first two (of more?) episodes Rockstar will release are exclusive to the XBOX 360.

EDIT - Why do so many people "hope" that one console will not get anything and theirs will? It's quite odd that you would hate it for people on another console to get some extra content, especially when all it would do is benefit Rockstar and Take Two - allowing for further development options.

erbzzz
  • erbzzz

Everything

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:53 PM Edited by erbzzz, 26 April 2008 - 09:57 PM.

They are probably already working on the next GTA right now. If not then in the next 2 months they will probably start.

DLC is going to be for 360 only but it's not like you get a whole new games worth of missions so PS3 only owners shouldn't be worried. They still havn't revealed what it is so I imagine that it's nothing too terribly sweet or else they would drop the mystery of just calling it "Downloadable content".

A gta 4 theme is downloadable content.

EDIT: I just remembered they call it episodic content so that would fall under expansion pack so it could be missions, guns, etc. So I hope it's guns because I don't go back and replay missions much.

But if you're die hard enough then drop the $300 for one of those 360s without a harddrive or wireless controller and buy xbox live and then you should be good to go so you can buy the DLC. colgate.gif

AnimaOnline
  • AnimaOnline

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

MS will have gotten Rockstar to sign a contract if they paid $50 for exclusive DLC.

The real question is if this is forever or for a period of time?

DDR Midian
  • DDR Midian

<3 Banshee

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (erbzzz @ Apr 26 2008, 21:53)
They are probably already working on the next GTA right now. If not then in the next 2 months they will probably start.

DLC is going to be for 360 only but it's not like you get a whole new games worth of missions so PS3 only owners shouldn't be worried. They still havn't revealed what it is so I imagine that it's nothing too terribly sweet or else they would drop the mystery of just calling it "Downloadable content".

But if you're die hard enough then drop the $300 for one of those 360s without a harddrive or wireless controller and buy xbox live and then you should be good to go so you can buy the DLC. colgate.gif

It's called Downloadable Content cause that's what it is, same with every other game. Sam Houser said he didn't want to make another GTA for a long time, this one is supposed to last longer than the previous ones, and SA lasted a good 3.5~ years.

...and how the hell could you get the DLC if you bought a 360 without a hard drive?

GTA IV 4EVER
  • GTA IV 4EVER

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

actually if Microsoft paid the owner right and Sony got t anyways from R*. Microsoft an o to ord with R* and R* will loose. But i dont know what MS paid for

plastik
  • plastik

Lol

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

It's a shame PS3 owners will miss out on the extra content, but depending on the details of their contract, it may simply be exclusive rights for a few episodes of content, after which the PS3 will get its own extras. Then again, $50M buys you a lot of exclusivity, because if R* sold an episode for 10, and they sold 1 million, that's still only 10M ($20M).

Dirtymopossie88
  • Dirtymopossie88

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (boogernut @ Apr 26 2008, 21:41)

yeah, to answer the question for this thread, i heard nilch....

Since MS paid that is what MS gets..... at least.... this pertains to THE DLC THAT THEY HAVE MENTIONED/IS ALREADY PLANNED
what i am saying is, there is always a chance, PS3 gets something else/different, or that PS3 gets things in future games....

but as always... the lesson to learn here is

EVERY SYSTEM HAS VARIOUS UPS AND DOWNS FOR ALL GAMES AND EVERYTHING IN GENERAL

MS paid for THIS SPECIFIC DLC SO THEY WILL GET IT, and it sounds like- i think there was a definite announcement, PS# WON'T

but on the other hand, some other people have announced DIFFERENT BENEFITS FOR PS3 IN TERMS OF THE GAME QUALITY AND SUCH

so basically, like i said above, YOU GET GOOD AND BAD THINGS FOR ALL SYSTEMS AND ALL GAMES AND EVERYTHING IN LIFE... just be happy with the advantages you get with whatever system(s)/version(s) of it you get wink.gif

Exactly every system through out the years have had there up's and downs.

robaldinho
  • robaldinho

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

From what I can gather, the 360 will get the first batch of downloadable content. Which will be exclusive to the 360. However, that doesn't mean that there won't be more added stuff available on both, or that Sony won't pay for similar but slightly different content to the stuff Microsoft p[aid for.

No-one on here knows how Microsoft's contract with Rockstar works, or what exactly is in it, so the fanboy stuff is getting boring. I've got a PS3, so I'm hoping that the "exclusivity" of the DLC is only time exclusive, and not completely exclusive. No-one's said otherwise, so it's as good a theory as any that Rockstar planned on releasing the same DLC for both consoles but Microsoft paid $50m to get it, say, a year earlier.

erbzzz
  • erbzzz

Everything

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (DDR Midian @ Apr 26 2008, 15:56)
They are probably already working on the next GTA right now.  If not then in the next 2 months they will probably start.

DLC is going to be for 360 only but it's not like you get a whole new games worth of missions so PS3 only owners shouldn't be worried.  They still havn't revealed what it is so I imagine that it's nothing too terribly sweet or else they would drop the mystery of just calling it "Downloadable content". 

It's called Downloadable Content cause that's what it is, same with every other game. Sam Houser said he didn't want to make another GTA for a long time, this one is supposed to last longer than the previous ones, and SA lasted a good 3.5~ years.

...and how the hell could you get the DLC if you bought a 360 without a hard drive?

I was trying to make it seem like a good deal to buy a 360. Rather than paying $399 for a 360 with a 20 g harddrive you can go to a gamestop and buy a used one for $59.

Yeah I know it's called downloadable content dumass. Thats why I mentioned it being called downloadable content. But everytime I have to get an update for one of my consoles I'm getting downloadable content.

If I get some new gamerpics on my 360 I got downloadable content. If I get a theme off the internet for my ps3 I got downloadable content. If I'm on the internet downloading pics of your mom from gangbangschoolbus.com it's downloadable content right?

right? dontgetit.gif

NuggetDog9
  • NuggetDog9

Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Dynamic Sport 5 Door

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (DDR Midian @ Apr 26 2008, 22:49)
PS3 will get DLC eventually. Rockstar never said they wouldn't, all they said was the 360 would get two exclusive episodes, that's it. After that, it's all up in the air.

I agree. Microsoft paid 50 million so 360 users get it first not so PS3 users never get it.

DDR Midian
  • DDR Midian

<3 Banshee

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (erbzzz @ Apr 26 2008, 22:07)
QUOTE (DDR Midian @ Apr 26 2008, 15:56)
They are probably already working on the next GTA right now.  If not then in the next 2 months they will probably start.

DLC is going to be for 360 only but it's not like you get a whole new games worth of missions so PS3 only owners shouldn't be worried.  They still havn't revealed what it is so I imagine that it's nothing too terribly sweet or else they would drop the mystery of just calling it "Downloadable content". 

I was trying to make it seem like a good deal to buy a 360. Rather than paying $399 for a 360 with a 20 g harddrive you can go to a gamestop and buy a used one for $59.

Yeah I know it's called downloadable content dumass. Thats why I mentioned it being called downloadable content. But everytime I have to get an update for one of my consoles I'm getting downloadable content.

If I get some new gamerpics on my 360 I got downloadable content. If I get a theme off the internet for my ps3 I got downloadable content. If I'm on the internet downloading pics of your mom from gangbangschoolbus.com it's downloadable content right?

right? dontgetit.gif

Right. I was just saying they haven't given it any other name cause they probably haven't finished it yet. I know you were trying to make the 360 seem like a good deal, but you still can't get DLC without an HDD tounge.gif I suppose you could buy an arcade console now and wait until the DLC is released to get a hard drive...

BadTedBundy
  • BadTedBundy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:13 PM Edited by BadTedBundy, 26 April 2008 - 10:20 PM.

I believe xbox users will be getting the first batch of experimental dlc to purchase. The proven good stuff will most likely be the only dlc for ps3. Possibly being worked on while waiting for the exclusivity deal to run out, and being released thereafter.

garywobby
  • garywobby

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

In an interview with Rockstar vice president Jeronimo Barrera he states "We want this game to last for years. I'm sure we'll do another game some time in the future, but this one is built to last" before adding that the Playstation 3 will get its own downloadable content.

boogernut
  • boogernut

boogernut

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (garywobby @ Apr 26 2008, 21:46)

in my last post.... this is the type of thing i was partially trying to say

but i did not know that they had confirmed some OTHER dlc that sony will get for itself....

is this posotive? wikipedia is only a good source for a few different types of things, but i guess it must be true, because of citing the magazine article...

nice then...

Worfox
  • Worfox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Here's what I think. It's just out of plain mind and common sense.

PS3 will probably get something like new weapons, maybe some cars and such.

But, I think as they was originally thinking of releasing the Downloadable Episode to both console. It gotta be something quite big. As they talk about it alot. Why would a big company like Microsoft invest $50 mil in like a package with 3-4 mission and maybe some extra weapons. I think it's something huge, not to be fanboy. I think it may be some kind of new storyline, or an extend to the storyline that is now( Obviously I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know the story) So.. It might be those ads all over you can visit like Vice City or Los Santos. Or any old city from the old GTA's. :=) That would be cool though

Best of lucks,
Worfox.

Boods
  • Boods

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:31 PM

I thought due to MS paying the $50m, then they'll get their 2 exclusive DLC.

then R* will release more DLC that is available on both consoles.

So surely the PS3 will get some, however the 360 will also get it along with the exclusive two aswell.

Just my 2 cents.

AllHailPopTarts
  • AllHailPopTarts

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (plastik @ Apr 26 2008, 21:59)
It's a shame PS3 owners will miss out on the extra content, but depending on the details of their contract, it may simply be exclusive rights for a few episodes of content, after which the PS3 will get its own extras. Then again, $50M buys you a lot of exclusivity, because if R* sold an episode for 10, and they sold 1 million, that's still only 10M ($20M).

You're still missing part of the calculations.

(Begin basic economics lesson)

MS paid R* $50,000,000 for exclusive rights to have the content on their system, they didn't pay R* that much money to buy the packs outright.

R* is still going to get the money from selling the packs, and MS is going to get whatever commission they normally get from such sales.

So even if the packs go for $24.99/ea., they're still going to have to sell a SH!TLOAD for Microsoft to make the $50,000,000 back from commissions. In addition to that, a large portion of those sales (probably close to 80%) would have occurred anyway as R* would have released the packs for the xbox regardless of the exclusivity agreement.

So really, Microsoft paid $50,000,000 for an approximate 25% increase in the margin of profit in the sales of episodic content. Say that commission is (high guess) 25%, and the packs sell for even $24.99, that means Microsoft is only making $6.25 off of each. Also, since they're only getting a marginal increase over what they would've had without paid, say 25% (high guess), that means that only one out of every 4 sales was generated because of the exclusivity. So that $6.25 they made off each sale is cut down to about $1.50.

That that would mean MS would have to sell a total of about 33,000,000 copies of the expansion packs to recoup their costs. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

Which brings me to the real reason that MS paid for these rights. Which is to strengthen their consoles position amongst the GTA-playing market share. Bottom line. That's it. Which ... doesn't seem to have worked too well ... at least ... not $50,000,000 well.

Sircus
  • Sircus

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

wrong. Microsoft only paid 50 million for time exclusivity. that means the same DLC will come to the PS3 but after the xbox. microsoft paid 50 million for 6 months. what else do you expect from capitalistic f*cks like them anyway

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users