Photo

Rockstar: DVD's Too Small, Fitting GTAIV a

106 replies to this topic
cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Yes but GTA: III, VC and SA didn't take 4 years to complete each, between 2001 and 2004 3 GTA games were released on a two platforms, each taking longer and each game being bigger each time, that's like just over a year for each game to be completed, this time around one game has taken four years to be completed and if R* follow the trend the next GTA will be bigger and take longer, possibly so long that either the 360 & PS3 is dead or it would just not be financially reasonable for them to release it for those consoles as they would be near the end of their cycle. I don't know if I am right or not, nor do I care but that's what I think. If GTA V comes out on a current system, great, if it doesnt, I guess I'll just have to enjoy the time and play IV.

LemKo
  • LemKo

GT: Tommy Xy

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

Man here they had to make the engine and to choose a lot of new things like from GTA 2 to III and the next if it is like Vice city would 2,3 years maximum to be done because the engine, euphoria, the physics and all are already done.

Mentality
  • Mentality

EA-Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:16 PM Edited by Mentality, 24 April 2008 - 06:25 PM.

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Apr 24 2008, 18:11)
Yes but GTA: III, VC and SA didn't take 4 years to complete each, between 2001 and 2004 3 GTA games were released on a two platforms, each taking longer and each game being bigger each time, that's like just over a year for each game to be completed, this time around one game has taken four years to be completed and if R* follow the trend the next GTA will be bigger and take longer, possibly so long that either the 360 & PS3 is dead or it would just not be financially reasonable for them to release it for those consoles as they would be near the end of their cycle. I don't know if I am right or not, nor do I care but that's what I think. If GTA V comes out on a current system, great, if it doesnt, I guess I'll just have to enjoy the time and play IV.

It only took so long because they did not have much knowledge on this gen of consoles and they built it on a completley different engine, if anything the next build will be quicker because they will have a better idea of how to work with the consoles and engine, but the disk size for the 360 will still be an issue, and the deciding factor (In my opinion) of wheather they will release it on that system.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Ah yeah, I guess the initial fist time developing with the new software took quite a while, so I guess that a new GTA could come out quicker, yay! Well I hope that they make it so that a HDD is a must, even if it is unfair on the people who don't already have one, it's their own fault biggrin.gif . If not MS are gonna have to start thinking and come up with some better ideas. Is there any possible way of making an even bigger DVD than DL that the 360 would recognize?

Mentality
  • Mentality

EA-Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:26 PM Edited by Mentality, 24 April 2008 - 06:31 PM.

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Apr 24 2008, 18:24)
Ah yeah, I guess the initial fist time developing with the new software took quite a while, so I guess that a new GTA could come out quicker, yay! Well I hope that they make it so that a HDD is a must, even if it is unfair on the people who don't already have one, it's their own fault biggrin.gif . If not MS are gonna have to start thinking and come up with some better ideas. Is there any possible way of making an even bigger DVD than DL that the 360 would recognize?

Not as far as I'm aware but it's doubtful I think, HDD is an option and it would shut the people up laughing at the people who have long install times on the PS3 lol.

Rambone2007
  • Rambone2007

Prankster

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (derty @ Apr 24 2008, 00:01)
QUOTE (Rambone2007 @ Apr 23 2008, 18:59)
QUOTE (derty @ Apr 23 2008, 23:55)
Score another point for derty ftw  sly.gif

This is yet another bump of the stuff I said for the past 2 years hahahahahahahahaha. God. I do love being right... especially when soooo many people denied the stuff I said.

God bless Rockstar. Clearing up the truth, and my track record.

fanboyism FTL

Whateverr, I was right, about this,and everything else I claimed, for over 2 years now.

Not fanboy, more like denied and then finally JUSTIFIED.

You must own a 360 HAHAAHHAAHHAAH

You cant call me a fanboy when I was f*ckING RIGHT YOU TURD!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Listen, c*nt.

I own both PS3 and 360 and enjoy both of them equally. I have ZERO fanboyism.

You, on the other hand, spent countless hours on message boards making up lies to make yourself feel better.

JamesEarlCash
  • JamesEarlCash

Carney Island Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:41 PM Edited by JamesEarlCash, 24 April 2008 - 06:52 PM.

QUOTE (Mentality @ Apr 24 2008, 13:16)
QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Apr 24 2008, 18:11)

It only took so long because they did not have much knowledge on this gen of consoles and they built it on a completley different engine, if anything the next build will be quicker because they will have a better idea of how to work with the consoles and engine, but the disk size for the 360 will still be an issue, and the deciding factor (In my opinion) of wheather they will release it on that system.

It didn't take that long to make. 3 years from scratch and 6 month delay. The RAGE/PS3 teething/compression/euphoria integration etc is DONE. Figured out. GTA4 is built. All is necessary is a change of scenery and pedestrians and new story and some new features. Tadah - two years MAX. As the vast majority of hard work has been done already. Part of the situation was the delay of the PS3 dev-kit and it took so long for the PS3 to come out; it's only now split across two platforms that there is a big enough install base to merit a reasonable return on their investment. It couldn't feasibly have been released any earlier than last fall wether it was ready or not. The project simply expanded to fill in the time available.

a_flyin_penguin
  • a_flyin_penguin

Niko Doesn't Smoke Weed

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

The next generation of consoles are already in R&D phase, as has been stated by both companies. I doubt that either of these will go near the 10 year mark, and if they do, they will be severely dated. Technology grows exponentially, epecially in the High Definition era. The current consoles are the debut foray into the all high res market and I have a feeling that there will be large refinements that each company will be anxious to take advantage of. I do believe that GTA Next will be in production for a very long time, seeing as how HD requires extra care and attention to detail. High resolution textures, higher poly counts, and more advanced, complex code are just some of the multitude of reasons that a quality game needs much more time to complete. I feel as if the next GTA will either fall at the tail end of this generation (6 months break + 3 years development time) or the beginning of the next console war. Remember, the console wars start at least a year in advance of the actual console release. These consoles will be old news by the time info starts trickling in on the next installment of everyone's favorite franchise.

TheBigBang
  • TheBigBang

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Xbox 360 fan boys can deny it but DVD is too old now...

JamesEarlCash
  • JamesEarlCash

Carney Island Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (a_flyin_penguin @ Apr 24 2008, 14:12)
The next generation of consoles are already in R&D phase, as has been stated by both companies. I doubt that either of these will go near the 10 year mark, and if they do, they will be severely dated. Technology grows exponentially, epecially in the High Definition era. The current consoles are the debut foray into the all high res market and I have a feeling that there will be large refinements that each company will be anxious to take advantage of. I do believe that GTA Next will be in production for a very long time, seeing as how HD requires extra care and attention to detail. High resolution textures, higher poly counts, and more advanced, complex code are just some of the multitude of reasons that a quality game needs much more time to complete. I feel as if the next GTA will either fall at the tail end of this generation (6 months break + 3 years development time) or the beginning of the next console war. Remember, the console wars start at least a year in advance of the actual console release. These consoles will be old news by the time info starts trickling in on the next installment of everyone's favorite franchise.

PS3 will last another 8-9 years at least (10 year life-span) but may be superseded (if very shortly) before that time is up. The gaming market is ultimately the mainstream, not just the core-gamers and the mainstream has been very slow to adopt these new technologies, PS2 was outdated for about 5 years and still went on to sell 200 million+ units. It's going to take some time to get everyone in the developed world to switch to HD TV's, HD-video players/drives, HD video-game consoles. I think you're jumping the gun. PC games will always be light years ahead of consoles because the whole concept is to not to have to spend a small fortune every year just to play video games. Now that the GTA IV engine is developed there's practically half as much work to do. We're not going to see GTA V (which is what you're describing) for a very long time, and quite rightly so because there's a lot of life left in the GTA IV franchise.

Corbett
  • Corbett

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

HDD was killed by B-Ray and end HD-DVD players sell to very cheap in my country.

trains
  • trains

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (Corbett @ Apr 24 2008, 14:47)
HDD was killed by B-Ray and end HD-DVD players sell to very cheap in my country.

HDD means Hard Drive not Hd DVD.

Rambone2007
  • Rambone2007

Prankster

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (TheBigBang @ Apr 24 2008, 19:30)

Its not too old right now but it will be in the next year.

I predict that GTA5 will probably have to become a PS3 exclusive if R* wants to truly adavnce the series. By that time, most 360 owners will probably have a PS3 anyway so not many people would be left out.

JamesEarlCash
  • JamesEarlCash

Carney Island Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Rambone2007 @ Apr 24 2008, 15:44)
QUOTE (TheBigBang @ Apr 24 2008, 19:30)

Its not too old right now but it will be in the next year.

I predict that GTA5 will probably have to become a PS3 exclusive if R* wants to truly adavnce the series. By that time, most 360 owners will probably have a PS3 anyway so not many people would be left out.

Not really. With an additional mandatory install disc there's a potential 17GB of storage (8.5 x2) which should be enough.

BrummieSteven
  • BrummieSteven

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

Ok first of all have you guys read the article? The only direct quotes related to DVD are:

One of the problems with the 360, and it affects games like Grand Theft Auto if you think about how much content we put in the actual machine, is the fact that they don't have a significantly larger storage medium than the previous systems. It's a slightly bigger DVD disc

Err nowhere did he say GTA IV had problems fitting on a DVD Disk he just highlighted that the DVD is a problem, perhaps a problem for future games.

Also, those who say compression techniques are nonsense need to wake up and smell the coffee. Compression techniques have been advancing for years, Currently Microsoft offer full 720p high definition videos which are only a couple of GB on the marketplace. It's only a matter of time when this sort of compression can be transported over and used in games.

Finally anyone who thinks GTA 5 is going to be a PS3 exclusive are dreaming. Even if the PS3 wins the console war outright taking the wii out on it's way it's not beneficial for Rockstar Games to publish a game on one console, they are losing out on a LOT of customers. Especially when you consider the fact that the gap between PC game coding and Xbox 360 game coding is practically non existent and it's extremely easy for rockstar to develop a Xbox 360 game. Heck, I'm only a first year Computer Science student and even i could code a game on the Xbox 360!

DK08
  • DK08

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

[COLOR=red]i think by the time GTA 5 will come out the playstations and xbox will have BIGG HDD . so you could just download it on to the HDD via the internet , that is if download speeds increase ,

mark3boyz
  • mark3boyz

Airman Howland

• Members

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (BrummieSteven @ Apr 24 2008, 21:03)

Finally anyone who thinks GTA 5 is going to be a PS3 exclusive are dreaming. Even if the PS3 wins the console war outright taking the wii out on it's way it's not beneficial for Rockstar Games to publish a game on one console, they are losing out on a LOT of customers.

You talk about alienating a huge customer base... You are forgetting the fact that there is no PC version of GTA 4....

So obviously its not like they have never done it before. Also time could be better used developing it for one system. Not saying that its ever going to happen, that future GTA's will be PS3 exclusive, but dont say its impossable because it isnt. And surely dont say that they would never do it because they would be alienating 360 owners because they are already doing the same thing to PC owners.

Cirven
  • Cirven

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:40 AM

The fact of the matter is in time to come DVD will be prodiced More Space, Blu Ray Is Just A 40 gig disc Right?
so Why Not One Day With Improved Technology Cand Normal HD DVD discs be made up to that size,? im unsure anybody got an answer?

nego00
  • nego00

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:09 AM

dude hd dvd is history.... besides the xbox cant play hd dvd games... only movies with that add-on

Edit: a link http://www.theage.co...3467142225.html

crazymophuka
  • crazymophuka

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

all you guys tryin to start these f*ckin fanboy wars need to get a life! i saw what Houser saiod in a different article and he said that that R* compressed the game so it could fit onto the DVD disc. angry.gif

decoda6
  • decoda6

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:53 AM

In the 2-3 years it will take R* to make another GTA Microsoft would have taken there head out of there ass and drop the price of there HDD By alot

maby even giving a free 20g with every pre-order of the new GTA (since in computer terms a 20gig HD is about $20 NZ dollers so like 12 bucks in the US tounge.gif

So R* can just make the next one HDD required and all is sorted

Now if i can come up with a simple solution like that and i aint to smart them im sure the ppl at MS can do better cmon guys lets not act dumb.

Cirven
  • Cirven

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

but why wont it be possible to create DVD big enough so we dont need blu ray?

steakncheese
  • steakncheese

supertramp

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:12 AM

Okay, let me explain it again for all the delusional people still unsure about how this works.

Xbox 360 games have to be made to suit Lowest Common Denominator, otherwise they are going to lose a massive user base if they force customers to buy a Blu-Ray Drive (not gonna happen, for playing games at least) or a HDD. This means games are developed for the bare minimum core console, with no hard drive and only DVD-DL (8.5GB capacity) compatibility.

Where as a PS3 game is made developed for a Blu-Ray Disc (50GB capacity) and a 20GB HDD, the bare minimum available.

This means that Rockstar will either make the next GTA the exact same size as GTA IV to allow a Xbox 360 release, or make it PS3 exclusive to free up a lot more space to use. It could also be released on PC, as many DVD's could be used to install and one needed to play.

DruidB
  • DruidB

MASTER CHIEF

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:20 AM Edited by DruidB, 26 April 2008 - 11:12 AM.

Everytime i see this BS in a thread i want to smash my face on the keyboard....

360 SOLUTION.. MULITIPLE DVD'S WITH AN INSTALL TO THE HD... NO ADDED BLURAY NO SMALLER LESS TEXTURE VERSIONS OF FUTURE GTA'S... JUST MULITPLE DISC'S WITH AN INSTALL!!!!!!

this should not even be an argument... are pc games limited because you dont have bluray? no... you install multiple DVD's to the HD...
The next GTA for 360 will require a HD... its that simple

DruidB
  • DruidB

MASTER CHIEF

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (steakncheese @ Apr 26 2008, 06:12)
Okay, let me explain it again for all the delusional people still unsure about how this works.

Xbox 360 games have to be made to suit Lowest Common Denominator, otherwise they are going to lose a massive user base if they force customers to buy a Blu-Ray Drive (not gonna happen, for playing games at least) or a HDD. This means games are developed for the bare minimum core console, with no hard drive and only DVD-DL (8.5GB capacity) compatibility.

Where as a PS3 game is made developed for a Blu-Ray Disc (50GB capacity) and a 20GB HDD, the bare minimum available.

This means that Rockstar will either make the next GTA the exact same size as GTA IV to allow a Xbox 360 release, or make it PS3 exclusive to free up a lot more space to use. It could also be released on PC, as many DVD's could be used to install and one needed to play.

You actually think by the time the next GTA is out microsoft wont be bundling HD with base 360's? this is the solution.. plain and simple

Cirven
  • Cirven

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

Multiple Install doesnt worry me so stfu inlove.gif

Beider
  • Beider

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

It's obvious that Microsoft will have to do something, what they will do who knows? But you got to remember that they are one of the richest companies in the world, they got way more capital to spend on a solution than a company like Sony.

Heck they could be giving free 20gb HDs with the next release of GTA as someone said. You think they will just go "oh it doesn't fit on the disc, well scale it down so it looks like sh*t? Or if you please don't release one of the most popular game franchises on our console?"

Of course they won't, they will come up with a solution. Be that optional Blue-ray / HD install or whatever.

Cirven
  • Cirven

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

Beider i love you points sounds absolutely valid

xtenebrous
  • xtenebrous

Witty Title

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Trund @ Apr 23 2008, 20:06)
QUOTE (JamesEarlCash @ Apr 23 2008, 21:59)
You do realize the size of the GTA IV Xbox 360 PAL ISO disc image floating around the internet is only about 7.5GB. DVD9 is big enough for gta this generation, as compression technology is only going to get even better. I would like to see Rockstar make a 50GB giganic epic as much as the next but I don't want to wait 8 years for it like a certain Valve title.

You do realize that the download is compressed, and if you uncompress and burn it'll still be a full 8.5GB?

And please don't start with the "better compression" methods and stuff, there is no way anymore that you can downplay the need of lots of space for next-gen games.

Also, compression is not an all-around solution, there is ALWAYS quality loss when you compress something.

A DVD9 is definitely too small for a next GTA, whether you like it or not. So unless MS comes out with a solution (and no it won't be Blu-Ray), the future of GTA on the 360 is questionable.

You're thinking of it the wrong way, most of the data is meant to be audio, they don't have to use as much audio in the next game, the map isn't as big as it could be because SA had a bigger map, so they can still fit a huge map on a DVD-DL, just because this GTA is big doesn't mean the next will be

rist
  • rist

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

If the PS3 justified its price by releasing more games I would buy one in an instant. But as it stands I currently own a 360 so that is where my allegiance lies. It is true that the 360 is crippled in so many ways; but it works and it has a larger library than the PS3. One of the things that shocked me was the fact that the EURO PS3's cannot play previous generations. That gets fixed and frig the games, I will still buy one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users