Photo

PS3 DLC

56 replies to this topic
nadalcameron
  • nadalcameron

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:58 AM

Of course you don't bastian, thats why you edited your post. Quite heavily to. Guess you decided not to stand behind your words?

GloRy
  • GloRy

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:02 AM

My brother works for Microsoft and Sony.

This thread = yawns

Tlynn327
  • Tlynn327

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (bonesmccoy @ Apr 22 2008, 04:57)
QUOTE (gagebastian @ Apr 22 2008, 03:22)
f*ck all of you cynical piece of sh*ts. you all live the most pathetic f*cking lives, every f*cking day you salivate over coming onto this forum, glaring at screen shots, and cutting harmless people down. no wonder you sit at home all day jacking off and playing video games, you are all douches.

LOL!

I've made this point elsewhere, but I'll do it again: Companies make deals like this all the time for first mover rights, let alone exclusivity. Perhaps this is first time it is happened in the video game industry, but it happens all the time in the business world. Pick up an issue of The Economist, the Financial Post, or watch ROBtv for goodness' sake. Microsoft is a massive company with oodles of capital to drop, and when a part of the company is in trouble, they usually make hasty deals to buy their way out of trouble. It's worked before, and it could work again.

And the plain fact is that we don't have any details other than the purported price tag of the 'exclusive' DLC and the estimated release dates. Remember this happening years ago when GTA titles were 'permanent exclusives' for the PS2, only for the Xbox to get them a year later?

This is pretty much all that is needed to be said.

Some times I wish the PS3 people and the 360 people could stop fighting over every silly thing and maybe try to get along. The console war should be between the companies not the gamers.

machinecd
  • machinecd

Angels of Death

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:15 AM

i can see his bro telling the truth the way i see it R* will not be able to produce any dlc for one year then they do what they want

JustinSaneV2
  • JustinSaneV2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:16 AM

My uncle is the President of the Moon and he says the words spewing from your post are questionable and that we must wait for the truth.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (josh995 @ Apr 22 2008, 03:54)
Companies pay huge amounts all of the time for one year deals.

Although, GTA IV is definitely not the saving Grace for xbox. They are billions, almost 6 billion dollars lost in their gaming division.

It's very possible that they really did pay for only timed exclusivity.

Time will tell, as of right now, neither of us is right.

In this case it is not I was told, can't recall but I'm man enough to except if the 2 episodes for 360 stay on that console. The PS3 WILL however, also be supported. They say this is a test of how it all is accepted, and that goes FAR BEYOND mere fanboy words, the proof is in the sales, there ARE no SALES yet, so wait and see. End. Of. Story.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:20 AM Edited by josh995, 22 April 2008 - 05:26 AM.

QUOTE (Niall_S @ Apr 21 2008, 22:56)
Hey Josh, is there a date for Home's release yet?

Spring 2008 is all we've been told. People are going crazy. You should take a stroll through the Playstation Forums and hit the Home section. Topic after topic after topic about release dates, etc etc etc.

About 2 weeks ago, it got really intense because someone FINALLY "hacked" a piece of the PSN or something and found a way to download Home onto their console, but you can't launch it, it just sits in the XMB. It tries to connect, but Sony currently is only allowing Beta testers to connect to Home, so when they download it, it's useless.

Also, a lot of people suspect Sony is slowly sneaking bits of Home onto the PS3 hard drive because some people have figured out how to break down the updates, and I guess there are a lot of "Home" labeled 'code' in the updates.

It's taking forever. They need to release it already because the hype machine is about to run out!

@slamman, I know what you mean, yeah the PS3 is being given something by Rockstar, but nobody knows what yet, and we probably won't know until release, or weeks after release, but there's just been speculation that Microsoft only paid for timed exclusivity, or that we are getting things for Home, but I really don't consider t-shirts for our people, or pictures for our walls, "DLC" you know what I mean? Of course, we could just be getting something completely, totally different, such as our own episodic content.

We'll find out. wow.gif

Also, I'm far from fanboy. wink.gif I'm *usually* the one trying, and failing, to prevent them. My key argument is "Point is we're all going to be playing GTA IV on the 29th, can't we just leave it at that!?"

Rayvercetti
  • Rayvercetti

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:21 AM

feeel free to quote this later, the epic answer to dlc.

I remember a small first person shooter on n64 called 007 which we played for millions of hours. I however never finished the story line? why ? because multi owned all. dlc is sh*t. multi is key

machinecd
  • machinecd

Angels of Death

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:22 AM

ya i think home will be pretty cool, like a little mutiplayer town to meet friends

Tlynn327
  • Tlynn327

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (Rayvercetti @ Apr 22 2008, 05:21)
feeel free to quote this later, the epic answer to dlc.

I remember a small first person shooter on n64 called 007 which we played for millions of hours. I however never finished the story line? why ? because multi owned all. dlc is sh*t. multi is key

Agree. the MP is going to be really cool.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

How, pray tell, can hype run out on HOME? It's not that necessary to enjoy the system and it's not a game, you won't spend hours at a time with it? I feel it better work flawlessly if it re-wipes the prior firmware. I do plan to use it but I am very much in favor of it being done right the first time. As MS commented on HOME, when it was displayed at E3 and said to be available in the Fall that year, they knew Sony had no real hope then. It took them 5 years to build their Network, it is also taking Polyphony 5 years or so to build their network for Gran Turismo and they report it's not a light task as well.

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

ah well, could be true or not.

I see the reasons of why it can be true.

50mil is nothing for microsh*t, they get first dibs etc.

Think about it, more and more people will get the xbox version coz of the dlc... that means that when dlc comes to another console microsh*t wont lose much at all.

They would've made their millions and would also own a larger install base which would promote more sales.

50mil for a larger install base sounds like a good trade-off.

Dan houser said he wants EVERYONE to experience the game etc. Sure they'll want their content on everyones console eventually.

SO yeah. Could be true or could be false. Makes for a good ponder.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:49 AM

Do NOT forget it was reported here, the DLC was offered to Sony first, not MS

Lord Illicious
  • Lord Illicious

S H A O L I N NYC

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (josh995 @ Apr 22 2008, 03:41)
I believe it is possible that Microsoft payed for TIMED exclusivity. Not complete exclusivity.

It's very, very possible.

You guys do know Rockstar had a say so in the DLC, right? It's not like Microsoft went to them and said, "I demand you to make this, this way, and this is how I want it to be."

They could have done that, but Rockstar most likely said, "Ok, we'll do this, but we want to change this, this, and we're going to do this our way instead of yours."

It's how business works. Microsoft does NOT call the shots.

I think many here do not understand how business or contracts clauses work.

First let me say that i am the CEO of Shaolin Venoms LLC and ShaolinGate.
I use to make web templates and sell them online as normally bought or buy it exclusively.
If bought exclusively that means once bought then that particular design will no longer be avalable to anyone else.
You bought a designed template that is only exclusive to you the buyer and according to the contract or agreement you may recieve technical assistance for that.
Also, according to your contract you may resell that template to others bacuase its yours and you own the rights to it.

This type of contract is most expensive.

Now there is also a "Exclusive Lease" because its a "Lease" only "Exclusive" to the "Buyer".
Again, what is "Exclusive" is the "Lease" and it can be renewed.
So the buyer will have to (and can) renew it's lease to preserve it's exclusivity.

No way MS would be dumb enough to spend 50 mil for a one year lease of extra content when they could of at least offered 100mil for earlier release of the game.

The dlc is only for 360 unless MS decides else.

Only way to get DLC or extra content for any other system is to buy the game for that particular system and purchase its extra content.
If sales go crazy high then trust that you will see released extras focused upon it.

Extra cars, missions, new ramps and new secret tiny island for $5.99. Buy it and they will make more.
Thats how business works.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Nah, Business is like Poker, we see on TV, it's all about BLUFFING!! tounge2.gif

yiggs
  • yiggs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:03 AM

I thought Microsoft paid 50mil for only 2 exclusive DLC titles. I don't think R* would dog them and release the same stuff for PS3 after 50mil!?

Exclusive DLC... what more can you put into a 100+hour game that already has awesome multiplayer?

I just read an article on Kotaku about making games with a 50mil budget, maybe MS can milk a whole GTA4.5 out of R*.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:04 AM Edited by josh995, 22 April 2008 - 06:08 AM.

The hype for Home has already faded, and then it shot back to life, faded, and then shot back to life. It's done it many times, and right now, the hype is huge, but there are many, many people saying they are tired of waiting. I'd consider that equal to they hype that person had for Home as fading. (Did that make sense? Somehow it doesn't make sense when I read it back to myself...?)

Home will undoubtedly be a success either way, but many people are growing bored of absolutely no updates on Home. None, all we have is "Spring 2008." It'd be nice for Sony to update us periodically, and say, "Hey! We've added this to Home" And maybe tell us a new feature, while still keeping things secret so we can have some surprises when it is released, but we don't really get that. We get, "Beta version 0.86 (or whatever) was released."

Yay? That's it? A while ago you released 0.83.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

I do agree with you that it should work flawlessly, but let's be realistic, there are bound to be at least a few things that will need work, this is the first program of it's kind. (Please don't anyone say Second Life, Sony has had Home in their eyes since before Second Life was released).

QUOTE (yiggs)
what more can you put into a 100+hour game that already has awesome multiplayer?

I think you mean 30 hour game? The reviewer said there were 30 hours worth of game play. That's playing the missions back to back.

REELHigh_Roller
  • REELHigh_Roller

Real OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (bonesmccoy @ Apr 22 2008, 01:10)
QUOTE (iCoke @ Apr 22 2008, 00:57)
QUOTE (Sircus @ Apr 21 2008, 18:51)
Hey there, so thing is that my brother works for Sony US.

Maybe your "brother" has agreed with this from Sony http://www.videogame.../news-7898.html

yawn.gif

Okay - it's articles like this one that drive me crazy. No where does this Sony fellow say PS3 gamers 'don't need DLC', he says that he doesn't think a 'huge percentage' of gamers will download the DLC while they are still enjoying the core game. That does not mean that the PS3 will never have the DLC (although that may be true) or that the DLC would not benefit Sony, just that this particular person does not think it will be a major factor in Sony's ability to move it's product. And yet James Orry, author of the piece, uses a misleading lede by rearranging a bunch of independent statements into a more 'controversial' statement. Pathetic how broadsheet journalism is virtually extinct these days.

So very true, the media has took a sh*t on real professional journalism for years everything is taken out of contexts and twisted around like a f*cking celebrity tabloid its sad how far we've come to, nothing is honest anymore. Its all about entertainment and nothing about facts or logic. For America at least. mad.gif

mesh1
  • mesh1

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (Sircus @ Apr 21 2008, 23:51)
Hey there, so thing is that my brother works for Sony US. He is a PR agent for them. I was talking to him yesterday and he told me that there is a big chance Microsoft has paid for a year of time exclusivity for DLC for Xbox. After this period of time he says Rockstar just might release the same content to PS3 Owners. He said this is not 100% but the chances of it have been rising since early october last year.

Now for all u people there, im not a fanboy! i love each console for the different sh*t it brings and i also feel that if the DLC for Xbox is Exclusive then MS have made a very good business strategy. But according to me bro, (who i trust everyword off cause he's not a gamer himself) Rockstar had hinted early last year that there was no target console, and since he is often in touch with R* PR people i think he might have a point.

Let me know what you think, hope this isnt a waste of post space smile.gif

shoooooo u sony troll u are getting no dlc get a life plz and stiop being a stealth sony troll

REELHigh_Roller
  • REELHigh_Roller

Real OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (josh995 @ Apr 22 2008, 06:04)
The hype for Home has already faded, and then it shot back to life, faded, and then shot back to life. It's done it many times, and right now, the hype is huge, but there are many, many people saying they are tired of waiting. I'd consider that equal to they hype that person had for Home as fading. (Did that make sense? Somehow it doesn't make sense when I read it back to myself...?)

Home will undoubtedly be a success either way, but many people are growing bored of absolutely no updates on Home. None, all we have is "Spring 2008." It'd be nice for Sony to update us periodically, and say, "Hey! We've added this to Home" And maybe tell us a new feature, while still keeping things secret so we can have some surprises when it is released, but we don't really get that. We get, "Beta version 0.86 (or whatever) was released."

Yay? That's it? A while ago you released 0.83.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

I do agree with you that it should work flawlessly, but let's be realistic, there are bound to be at least a few things that will need work, this is the first program of it's kind. (Please don't anyone say Second Life, Sony has had Home in their eyes since before Second Life was released).

QUOTE (yiggs)
what more can you put into a 100+hour game that already has awesome multiplayer?

I think you mean 30 hour game? The reviewer said there were 30 hours worth of game play. That's playing the missions back to back.

I really want to get my hands on Home badly, I think it will be a good service once its out of beta, also Little Big Planet looks really fun. My next big purchase next to GTA 4 is a PS3.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (Lord Illicious @ Apr 21 2008, 23:58)

I use to make web templates and sell them online as normally bought or buy it exclusively.
If bought exclusively that means once bought then that particular design will no longer be avalable to anyone else.
You bought a designed template that is only exclusive to you the buyer and according to the contract or agreement you may recieve technical assistance for that.
Also, according to your contract you may resell that template to others bacuase its yours and you own the rights to it.

Now there is also a "Exclusive Lease" because its a "Lease" only "Exclusive" to the "Buyer".
So the buyer will have to (and can) renew it's lease to preserve it's exclusivity.

No way MS would be dumb enough to spend 50 mil for a one year lease of extra content when they could of at least offered 100mil for earlier release of the game.

Only way to get DLC or extra content for any other system is to buy the game for that particular system and purchase its extra content.
If sales go crazy high then trust that you will see released extras focused upon it.

Extra cars, missions, new ramps and new secret tiny island for $5.99. Buy it and they will make more.

Please do not try to tell me how business works. I fully know how it works. How I know is irrelevant, but I will say it required many years at a top 10 university. wink.gif

Also, when 50 million dollars is .098% of your revenue, you have some extra change to spare on "leases."

nadalcameron
  • nadalcameron

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

Even if 50 million is only 1% of the money they can afford to spend after doing all their projects, paying all their employees, etcetera then I do think they would still be dumb to throw it away like that on a 'lease'. Why would they when they could easily spend it on what really works, a more long term deal? When they could keep that money for something else, why would they go 'You know, its not really worth it, but lets give this /other/ company all this money for this thing'.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (nadalcameron @ Apr 22 2008, 00:38)
Even if 50 million is only 1% of the money they can afford to spend after doing all their projects, paying all their employees, etcetera then I do think they would still be dumb to throw it away like that on a 'lease'. Why would they when they could easily spend it on what really works, a more long term deal? When they could keep that money for something else, why would they go 'You know, its not really worth it, but lets give this /other/ company all this money for this thing'.

Um, because it's Microsoft?

You do realize Microsoft spends millions per day in multiple categories that they don't need to be spending so much in?

Just like the US with the war, 2 billion per day or so, they don't need to be spending that much, but they are.

REELHigh_Roller
  • REELHigh_Roller

Real OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (josh995 @ Apr 22 2008, 06:31)
QUOTE (Lord Illicious @ Apr 21 2008, 23:58)

Please do not try to tell me how business works. I fully know how it works. How I know is irrelevant, but I will say it required many years at a top 10 university. wink.gif

Also, when 50 million dollars is .098% of your revenue, you have some extra change to spare on "leases."

Dude I'm in my 3rd year in Marketing, not trying to top you or anything (not even possible), I just like to relate with people that studied business. High five! Also I go to OSU. biggrin.gif

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (REELHigh_Roller @ Apr 22 2008, 00:42)
Dude I'm in my 3rd year in Marketing, not trying to top you or anything (not even possible), I just like to relate with people that studied business. High five! Also I go to OSU. biggrin.gif

Cool!

Ok but, I'm gonna tell you, when you're done, and if you don't already have a job/internship lined up, you're gonna be pretty......... bored. Haha.

I got done and didn't really have any plans afterwards and I was just like...... "Well, I miss school. sad.gif "

Haha.

Lord Illicious
  • Lord Illicious

S H A O L I N NYC

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

I didnt mean to sound funny like that.

Im just saying that its kinda hard to believe that an exclusive lease would go for 50mill instead of completely exclusive.
That is a big risk in throwing away money even for MS regardless of what their revenue or reserves are.
Say a year from now that dlc is made avalable to PS3 while games and systems will still be selling even years after their initial release.
Again im not trying to say anything condescending or over someone but just giving my experiential take on it.

Many consumers cant just fork over the bread for anything.
We are talking about competition now with not just different versions but tools additions (hdtvs, audio, accessories) and the unrelated (media, clothes, events etc etc).

Theres events for consumers as in birthdays, holidays and other that help em fork up or get around to the toys they want.
Matter of fact, as i write this im begining to believe the delay could of secretly been influenced by MS (maybe) in a smart way.
A 1 year exclusively leased dlc contract around this time would be perfect for MS as it would extend through the holidays for this year.
This might certainly push sales up in their favor.

50mill for a lease even from MS is too much i believe.

Just my 50 cents. wink.gif

Please do not try to tell me how business works. I fully know how it works. How I know is irrelevant, but I will say it required many years at a top 10 university.

josh995
  • josh995

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Lord Illicious @ Apr 22 2008, 01:23)
I didnt mean to sound funny like that.

Im just saying that its kinda hard to believe that an exclusive lease would go for 50mill instead of completely exclusive.
That is a big risk in throwing away money even for MS regardless of what their revenue or reserves are.
Say a year from now that dlc is made avalable to PS3 while games and systems will still be selling even years after their initial release.
Again im not trying to say anything condescending or over someone but just giving my experiential take on it.

Many consumers cant just fork over the bread for anything.
We are talking about competition now with not just different versions but tools additions (hdtvs, audio, accessories) and the unrelated (media, clothes, events etc etc).

Theres events for consumers as in birthdays, holidays and other that help em fork up or get around to the toys they want.
Matter of fact, as i write this im begining to believe the delay could of secretly been influenced by MS (maybe) in a smart way.
A 1 year exclusively leased dlc contract around this time would be perfect for MS as it would extend through the holidays for this year.
This might certainly push sales up in their favor.

50mill for a lease even from MS is too much i believe.

Just my 50 cents. wink.gif

I can see your point but I also want to point out this:

Rockstar is...... what's the word... we'll say, loyal to their fans, whether they be Xbox users or Playstation users. I can see Microsoft throwing money at Rockstar, and MS hoping Rockstar will become their best friend, but I really can't see Rockstar taking money from MS and not even considering Sony.

Rockstar, they are devoted to the people who have made their video games such a success, the fans.

Unless they are completely heartless, I really can't see them making extra content for one console, when a huge number of their fans are using a different one, and them only getting a t-shirt for their "Playstation Home" avatar, know what I mean?

We'll just have to see how this all comes to play. For all I know, which isn't much along with everyone else, Playstation 3 could be getting completely different 10 hour gameplay packs. All we know is DLC for Playstation 3 has been confirmed, but knowing how secretive everyone is, we probably will not know for quite a while, unfortunately.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users