Photo

Is the guide worth it?

17 replies to this topic
suorange
  • suorange

Prankster

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:38 AM

I've never bought a guide for any game before and i wanted to know if it was worth buying the guide for GTA IV

ceedot
  • ceedot

Zeestar.

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:42 AM

It's really good if you get stuck on missions.

Other than that, it's a good collectable. I'm getting it.

PolishAssassin03
  • PolishAssassin03

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:58 AM

Even though I'm not getting it Yes it is worth it if you want to be one of the first 10 to beat it 100%.

Gregatron
  • Gregatron

Founder: GTAF Lolcat Mafia

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:22 AM

It all depends on what you want out of the game. I have never bought a guide for a game, except for Final Fantasy 7 all those years ago.

If you need help w/ missions there are online FAQs. Hell, people even put them on youtube. So, imo, there is no reason to buy the guide for mission help. If, however, you want to achieve 100%, then the guide is probably for you.

danepporambo
  • danepporambo

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:24 AM

my advice to you is to not buy the guide because the whole point of games is so its your attempt at it, use your brains lateral thinking process to figure how how to do things.

but if you are really really stuck, as the previous poster said, go to online faq sites like www.gamefaqs.com as they provide what you need to know to get past a mission.

JustinSaneV2
  • JustinSaneV2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:29 AM

No point in buying the guide when you have the Interwebz at your disposal.

Above
  • Above

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

I have all the GTA guides so far and I think they're are great. It's your own choice whether you want to follow them strictly or do your own findings. I mostly use them to get an overview of the games. I have already pre-ordered the IV guide but I will not open it before the game has been discovered on my own. However, I'm sure it will be great to have afterwards.

The-end
  • The-end

It's time to go home

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

The San Andreas guide sure was worth it. There really in depth and can give you a better understanding of the game.

casa13
  • casa13

Trick

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:58 AM

i'm lookin on the net for the guide but i can't find it,

can some one pm me and tell me wher it is

i can't find it on ebay either

TenaciousD.
  • TenaciousD.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

The Vice City Stories one had some major problems, had missing vehicles from the vehicle list, all the rampage icons were in the wrong places and it had generally bad advice for some missions.

They are normally good but do have some flaws. I have my one now as a collectable item instead of a guide itself.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Definitely. Can help you out if you get stuck on a mission or if that last Hidden Package seems like it's avoiding you, plus it adds to your GTA collection.

Not to mention it doesn't cost much either. icon14.gif

xaxsis
  • xaxsis

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

I wont be using the guide, I might consider it after a couple of months. There'll come the inevitable period where you'll get over the game and reduce playing (although this time we have multiplayer...) If you ever want to get back into a game after this period, a guide should do the trick. Specially since there multiple ways to do missions, might be a good read on other options.

Of course all this information will be freely available on the net, I dont know why but for such a game it'll just seem special to have a hard copy. Like someone else said, it adds to you GTA collection.

tyrok
  • tyrok

I named my Rat Niko

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

I got 1 for san andreas on amazon its only about 8
ive already pre ordered it
for san an it told me all the cars and how to do all the missions and stunt jumps, it was great

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

I bought the Guide for Vice City Stories and i hardly used it tounge.gif .

If your really that stuck on a mission a quick Google search will give you plenty of helpful links and people will be posting the information from the guides all over the different forums on the net. Even after that you can post on these forums asking for help aswell.

assassinsblade
  • assassinsblade

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

yeh if you want 100% get the guide, it will probably show you some really cool stuff but it will give away lots too and i want to find stuff out for myself biggrin.gif

StrandedKenni
  • StrandedKenni

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

I like guides, I mean.. I only got the halo 3 guide with the game because i had leftover points on my Game reward card, I didn't use it for the actually guide side.. I just really enjoy the artwork they put into them, and the Gta guide will have a nice in depth map? surely... that'd be nice to have. biggrin.gif

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

I have a spare barnes and nobles gift card so I'll probably pick up the game guide. I'm gonna be shooting for the prettiest most collectible version though.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

addisonpeterson
  • addisonpeterson

P.h.d. in GTA

• Members

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:59 PM

if you plan to just drive around and beat story missions probyl not. but if you want to go deep into the game, learn all its features, and 100% complete get it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users