The Chain Game Save for PS2
a customized starting save
designed to run with an unmodified game
The features long hosted on the Chain Game pinned in the Mission Help topic at GTAF have been converted for PS2 version 1. NTSC, PAL, and all major save formats can be supported by using a free conversion utility - PS2 Save Builder .
Chain Game for PS2 Beta 2 now available at GTAGarage.
Chain Game for PS2 v1 or v2, Beta 2:
Beta 2 is identical to the v1 beta 1 and v2 alpha 1 versions of the save. Only the names have been changed. Also, the original unmodified save has been removed from the archive. The included save files are:
v# denotes the San Andreas version, v1 for the original, v2 for more recent versions.
DB is a Debug save. Many features have been unlocked early for testing and review. This save is not intended for game play. There is a very good chance that glitches will occur if this save is used to progress the story.
A volunteer will be needed to convert to the PSV format for PS3 as I don't have the required hardware.
Notes for older versions - CG4PS2v1b1 and CG4PS2v2a1
I hope the save for the Original Edition is in pretty good shape. Everything I've checked seems to work properly. People with the original edition are invited to try out the features and look for anything unusual - like the game suddenly freezing when CJ enters a certain area of the map. If no problems are found then I'll work on nice touches like extra blips and fixes for PS2 specific problems.
Chain Game for PS2 v1 Beta 1 is no longer available for download
Check the file list at the link below for the most recent release since it's difficult to update the links properly. There's an NTSC and PAL version this time. Please let me know how the PAL packaging works. I deleted the original Gallery folder so I'm hoping this doesn't mess things up.
There are 3 saves in the AR MAX archive (get PS2 Save Builder if you need another format).
1 In the beginning - nothing special, should load 1st without problems
2 CG4PS2v1b1 - this is a working beginning save, should play through to 100%
3 CG4PS2v1b1DB - debug version*
* The debug version has cities unlocked, CJ can buy properties, stats are boosted a bit, extra cash; allows testing of features in SF and LV, but will probably glitch during the later missions. All vehicles are displayed.
End of notes for older versions.
RC Cam freezes PS2 when CJ tries to drive it. Swapped for another vehicle.
Models IDs changed to PS2 reference number.
Easter Eggs and Plates updated, but probably aren't final.
Jefferson is locked, now using CG starting position.
Whetstone is unlocked, not sure why is wasn't before.
Paintjobs and colors repaired on garaged vehicles.
Need new blips, PS2 is missing a few, and some features could use markers.
Look for fix for Forklifts at the docks, maybe an object would help.
Some new jumps are hard to land.
Possible vehicle spawn lag, but hard to tell since I'm not used to PS2 spawns.
Force spawn needed on import vehicles.
Dillimore Monster Spawn pretty far inside the roof of the store. Can still push it out.
Chain Game for PS2
Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:13 PM Edited by OrionSR, 26 August 2017 - 01:13 AM.
The Chain Game Save for PS2
- OG Viking likes this
Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:15 PM Edited by OrionSR, 20 December 2010 - 05:55 AM.
Some safehouses and some other interiors are linked to a special "armory" (using the LS Big House interior). This armory contains high-ammo pickups for the most used weapons in the game as well as a health pickup and it also has a wardrobe so you can still change your clothes (or get armor) there. You can also save your game, the original Queens save disk has been moved into the armory.
- Small 24-7 in West Mulholland, LS
- Whetstone Farm Safehouse (can be used at the start but must still be purchased to reach 100% completion)
- Vank Hoff Hotel Safehouse in Queens, SF (must be purchased to be used)
- Big Pointy Building in Downtown SF (if you take the marker back down after going to the top)
- Sherman Dam (between entrance marker on top of the dam and the Generator Room interior)
- Caligula's Roof (North marker; South one still goes to the Roof)
- Bayside House (the house farthest west and south in Bayside; this is unrestricted territory)
Some markers which used to link to shops now allow quick warping between far-off areas of the map. All portals which lead towards LS and Red County allow bikes and all portals which lead towards other areas allow both bikes and cars. However, most of these markers are quite close to the buildings they used to allow entry to and it may be difficult or even impossible to get a car to go through. Bikes should work for all although you may have to nearly drive up the wall to get it to register.
- The 69-Cent Store near Unity Station, LS connects with the unmarked Barber Shop in El Quebrados
- The 24-7 at the truckstop in Whetstone (near Angel Pine) connects with the unmarked Montgomery Pizza Stack.
- The Binco in Juniper Hill, SF connects with the Binco at the North end of the Strip in LV
- The Victim in Rodeo, LS connects with the Victim in Downtown SF.
- The SubUrban in Jefferson, LS connects with the SubUrban in Creek, LV
Many safehouse garages have been expanded in (virtual) size so that vehicles can fit on the roof as well as inside. This allows you to save small air vehicles as well as cars. Note that you can only see vehicles on the roof if the door is open. The capacity of the garages cannot been changed and is still limited to 4 total vehicles each.
- El Corona Safehouse Garage enlarged
- Mulholland Safehouse Garage enlarged
- Palomino Creek Safehouse Garage enlarged
- Dillimore Safehouse Garage enlarged
- Doherty Garage enlarged
- Whitewood Estates Safehouse Garage enlarged
- Rockshore West Safehouse Garage enlarged
One safehouse garage has been moved to a new location as a special "Dock" garage which can save boats as well as land/air vehicles. Some previously mission-only garages have been assigned new subversive duties. Note that both bomb shops now have a red in-game sphere. They are not marked on the radar though, for lack of a suitable icon. The three Police Impounds have been tweaked for better usability and are now marked on the radar.
- Dock Garage
The Redsands Safehouse garage has been disabled and replaced with a Dock Garage at Toreno's Ranch. This dock is marked on the map with an anchor icon and special objects have been placed at the corners of the garage to mark its boundaries. The Dock Garage is usable from the start of the game, even before Toreno's place gets a save icon.
- Los Desperados Bomb Shop
The garage in the alley in El Corona used during the mission "Los Desperados" has been internally renamed and turned into a bomb shop (remote detonation bombs). It will remain operational even after the mission is passed.
- Cesar's Bomb Shop
The garage behind Cesar's house in El Corona has been turned into a bomb shop (ignition trigger bombs); it will also be opertational for the entire game.
- LSPD Impound
The western boundary has been moved inward to exclude a random car spawn. Bug fix for round 38: The floor has been raised so the Rustler will spawn properly.
- SFPD Impound
Ceiling and floor have been tweaked so impounded motorcycles or bicycles should be visible in the impound zone (instead of the ceiling). The impound zone has been rotated so impounded vehicles will face forward, and moved slightly to the north to exclude random car spawns. A Towtruck has been placed which roughly marks the north-eastern corner of the moved impound zone.
- LVPD Impound
The impound zone has been rotated so impounded vehicles will face forward.
- How to use the Impounds
Using the impounds is tricky and requires a bit of practice - find all you need to know in this topic.
Some Pay'n'Sprays now have a larger size so that air vehicles can be sprayed by landing on the roof.
- Dillimore PnS enlarged.
- Juniper Hollow PnS enlarged some more so a Hydra can be resprayed.
A Pay'n'Spray that is normally locked and unused has been relocated and enlarged; this is a normal PnS. Also, several previously mission-only garages have been assigned spray duties for some of the time; these function the same as Michelle's PnS - they are free and display the "girlfriend has fixed your vehicle" message. Note that free Pay'n'Sprays still require that you have at least $100 in your pocket even though they do not charge you. All Pay'n'Sprays are now marked on the radar. Pay'n'Sprays that will close as the game progresses have their markers disappear shortly before the PnS closes (as described below). The others have permanent markers.
- Disco PnS
A previously unused PnS has been moved to East LV behind the Dance Club. It is marked on the radar with the standard spray icon and functions normally. However, it has no visible door so at ground level it is accessible from 3 directions and the changed camera angle can be a little tricky to deal with. Also, it is large enough that air (or other) vehicles which land on the roof will be sprayed as well.
- Life's a Beach PnS
The garage in Commerce, LS used in the mission "Life's a Beach" functions as a free PnS during the early part of the game. Once that mission is passed, the garage closes. The radar marker for this PnS should disappear after the mission "OG Loc", shortly before the garage closes.
- Puncture Wounds PnS
The garage next to the Angel Pine Ammu-Nation used in the mission "Puncture Wounds" (if you let it get that far) functions as a free PnS for part of the game. Once that mission is passed, the garage closes. The radar marker for this PnS should disappear when Wang Cars is purchased, shortly before the garage closes.
- T-Bone's PnS
The garage in Ocean Flats, SF (a block South of Wheel Arch Angels) used in the mission "T-Bone Mendez" (if you let it get that far) functions as a free PnS for part of the game. Once that mission is passed, the garage closes. The radar marker for this PnS should disappear during the mission "Jizzy", shortly before the garage closes.
- Woozie's PnS
The garage next to Woozie's shop in Chinatown, SF intended for the mission "Ran Fa Li" but never actually used in the standard game functions as a free PnS; this garage has been internally renamed and remains open for the entire game.
- Interdiction PnS
The garage in El Castillo del Diablo, Bone County used in the mission "Interdiction" functions as a free PnS. When you pass the mission the garage door comes down, but the door is unsolid. Thus you can walk through it back into the garage and get in the vehicle you just left, or drive something else through the door later to get the door to stay open. So this PnS is accessible the entire game.
- Michelle's PnS is open and free from the start of the game.
New Objects and Interiors
Some extra stuff added to the map.
- SFPD Interior
The Dillimore Police Station now links to the previously-unused SFPD Interior. Note that the displayed name will still say "LSPD Headquarters" when you enter it, but it functions normally. As with other police interiors, there are several pickups inside and if you pull out a gun, they'll hit you with a 2-star wanted level.
- Sunken Pirate Ship
In the murky waters below the Dock Garage at Toreno's Ranch (see above) you'll find a sunken wreck. It's best to explore using the Underwater Glitch though since diving pretty much requires max lung capacity and health to survive.
- Sunken Submarine
The Pirate Ship has company; find a sunken submarine near the undrowning glitch zone at Hankypanky Point.
- Dock Garage Boundaries
Some flaming skulls and some lightposts mark the corners of the Dock Garage; they look especially cool at night.
- Truth's Crops are there at the start of the game; you can burn them down if you wish (just for fun) and they should reappear if you restart SA and load a Chain Game save again. If playing the forum saves with the correct version exe (the one that has the barriers), the crops will be permanently destroyed following the mission "Are You Going to San Fierro?" but players using the 'wrong' version exe (the one that hasn't got barriers) should still see them until "Yay Ka-Boom-Boom" is passed. If playing the Independent Play saves, the crops should not exist after "Are You Going to San Fierro?" regardless of exe version.
- The floor of the ground level of Big Smoke's Crack Palace is solid at the start of the game.
- The Area 69 Access Vent has been moved out of the way. It will be put back in place after "The Black Project" though.
- Various Ramps have been added to the map:
- A ramp between Montgomery and Hampton Barns for the reworked Early LV Access jump (see below).
- 2 ramps at the northern end of Foster Mall, one inside and one on the roof; loosely connected to the Foster Mall jump (see below).
- A water ramp at the Sherman Dam for a spectacular boat stunt.
- 2 water ramps for jumping boats over the Amphibious Assault ship, grabbing the bribe that has been placed there.
- A ramp at the early breakable Sprunk Sign in Jefferson, for the new unique jump.
- Saving at Madd Dogg's Mansion
The save disk in Madd Dogg's Mansion has been moved from the location near the back door to the first room on the left ("the library"). While still near the door, this location is far enough away from the interior basketball court that it should prevent the Basketball Glitch; thus saving at Madd Dogg's place is no longer discouraged in the Chain Game.
- The armor pickup in the dark room opposite the recording studio in Madd Dogg's mansion will now respawn if picked up; in the orginal game once you grabbed it, it was gone.
- A bribe inaccessible in the standard game has been moved. It's no longer in the narrow alley behind the SF Fire Station as in previous rounds but has been moved to what was probably the originally intended location. It looks as if a minus sign got toggled for one coordinate somewhere during the original coding. Removing that minus sign gives a pretty neat new location at the Broken Bridge in Palomino Creek.
- A number of vehicles have been nudged to avoid spawning conflicts (some of the export vehicles, school rewards, airstrip vehicles, SF Firetrucks, and a few others). In all but one case the new location is quite close to the original one; the one exception is the export Sanchez which now spawns at Catalina's Fern Ridge hideout.
Missions, locations, and other things made available earlier to expand what can be done at the start of the game.
- Basketballs spawn on all the courts at the start of the game so you can play the basketball minigames earlier.
- All Race Tournaments (i.e. Street Races and LV Air Races) are available at the start of the game; barriers between islands may render some of them difficult or even impossible. Note that you will not receive the phonecall from Jethro about the race tournaments.
Bike School and Boat School are open at the start of the game. Driving School is marked on the radar but cannot be attempted until the mission "Wear Flowers in Your Hair" is passed; note that you will not receive the phonecall from Jethro about the Driving School following the "Deconstruction" mission.
- All Vehicle Mod Shops are open at the start of the game and are marked on the radar.
- All Gyms are open at the start of the game.
- Several safehouses are open earlier than normal.
- The Johnson House is open at the start of the game; thus you can save there prior to completing the mission "Big Smoke".
- The Whetstone Farm Safehouse is open from the start of the game even though it can't yet be purchased; you will still have to buy it later to reach 100% completion.
- Also, most of the Armory Hideouts (see above) are open from the start.
- Several safehouse garages are open earlier than normal. Much like the Doherty garage, they give you a place to stash a car for 4-star fun.
- The garage at the Verdant Meadows Airstrip is open from the start of the game.
- The hangar at the Verdant Meadows Airstrip is open from the start of the game.
- Several (mostly mission-related) Interiors are accessible at the start of the game but may close later.
- Zero's RC Shop is open from the start and probably won't close.
- Crack Den is open from the start but will close once "Cleaning the Hood" is attempted.
- Madd Dogg's Crib is open from the start but will close once "Madd Dogg's Rhymes" is attempted and will remain closed until "A Home in the Hills" is passed.
- Vagos Gang House is open from the start but will close once "Burning Desire" is attempted.
- The Pleasure Domes club is open from the start of the game but will close once "Ice Cold Killa" is attempted.
- Sindacco Abattoir is open from the start but will close once "The Meat Business" is attempted.
- Planning Department is open from the start but will close once "Architectural Espionage" is attempted.
- Big Smoke's Crack Palace is open from the start of the game and should never close.
New Unique Stunt Jumps
The original game's unique stunt jumps are gradually being replaced by our own jumps. Some of these highlight ways to get in and out of hard-to-reach places, others showcase special features of the modification, a few encourage participation in the Chain Game Rallies, and some are just cool. There are currently 20 new jumps; they all replace original jumps so the count remains at 70 and SAMA will properly display all of them. All of these jumps have been reworked for round 37 and jump 12 (LS Airport Roof) has been moved to the southern wing of the building in round 39.
- LV Pyramid to PnS
- Isolated Mound South of Montgomery
- Jump over plane at LS Airport
- Tunnel into SF Airport
- Mt Bike Rooftop jump in Downtown SF
- NRG Rooftop jump in Downtown SF
- Underwater Mound in Red County
- Fern Narrows jump
- Isolated Tree near Blueberry
- Early LV access jump
- Yacht Harbor Sign at Santa Maria Pier
- LS Airport Roof [moved south in round 39]
- Foster Mall
- Foster River
- LV Fuel Depot (KACC)
- Fallen Tree in Panopticon
- Speed or Splash; South of Blueberry
- Shady Creek North
- Shady Creek Delta
- Jefferson Sprunk Sign
We have added a few new pickups to spice up the game; most are located in the Armory Hideout, but there is some interesting stuff outside too. Note that pickups marked 'fast respawn' will generally regenerate in less than a minute although you do have to leave the immediate area and come back to grab them again; weapons which have shared ammo with others in their class cannot be marked 'fast respawn' however because of the possibility of nullifying their ammo count. Note also that due to the restricted size of the pickup pool a few of the original pickups have been cut to make room for our additions.
- Armory Hideout
- 6 Bribes (fast respawn)
- 9mm Pistol; 500 ammo (fast respawn)
- Silenced Pistol; 500 ammo (fast respawn)
- Desert Eagle; 500 ammo (fast respawn)
- Tec-9; 500 ammo
- Micro SMG (uzi); 500 ammo
- SMG (MP5); 1000 ammo
- Chrome Shotgun; 500 ammo
- Sawn-off Shotgun; 500 ammo
- Combat Shotgun; 500 ammo
- AK-47; 1000 ammo
- M-4; 1000 ammo
- Sniper Rifle; 250 ammo (fast respawn)
- Molotovs; 100 ammo (fast respawn)
- Teargas; 100 ammo (fast respawn)
- Satchel Charges; 100 ammo (fast respawn)
- Grenades; 100 ammo (fast respawn)
- RPG; 250 ammo (fast respawn)
- Heat-Seeker; 250 ammo (fast respawn)
- FlameThrower; 2000 ammo (fast respawn)
- Minigun; 1500 ammo (fast respawn)
- Health (fast respawn)
- Knife (fast respawn)
- Katana (fast respawn)
- Chainsaw (fast respawn)
- Parachute (fast respawn)
- IR Goggles (fast respawn)
- LS Jetpack; behind the Johnson's garage
- SF Jetpack; Chinatown rooftop (requires some clever climbing)
- LV Jetpack; SW rooftop of Pilgrim Motel (requires some climbing)
- Adrenaline Pills
Working similar to pills in previous games; time slows for CJ for a brief time and he's a little more powerful.
- Adrenaline Pill (fast respawn) in Jefferson; by train tracks across from church
- Adrenaline Pill (fast respawn) in Glen Park; alleyway North of park
- Adrenaline Pill (fast respawn) in Ganton; along Grove St under overpass
- Asset Pickups
Just like the assets in the original game, money only increases when you are nearby.
- Pirate Booty (on deck of sunken ship): 65k per day max; 250k overall max
- Four Dragons (interior): 25k per day max; 25k overall max
- "Ufo Curse"
- A money pickup with negative cash value has been added to the game. It will subtract $5 million and can only be picked up once, after that it's gone.
- It is hidden somewhere in the woods, near a big rotating Ufo.
- If CJ goes to LV while in more debt than he could borrow from the casinos (gambling skill), he'll get attacked by Mafia hit squads. If you kill them, make sure to pick up their money - they are loaded.
- When in debt, CJ can't buy anything including food. The only way not to lose fat (and eventually muscle) is to take girlfriends out on food dates, these meals are for free.
- There's another one-time-only money pickup which revokes the Ufo Curse. It's rather well hidden though.
- Miscellaneous Additions
- Armor (fast respawn) in every wardrobe
- Parachute (fast respawn) on Caligula's Roof (South side)
- Health in SFPD Interior
- One bribe has been added to spice up the Amphibious Assault boat jumps (see 'New Objects & Interiors' above). It is set to fast respawn.
- The SF Firehouse bribe from previous rounds is back and set to fast respawn.
- Tweaked Original Pickups
- One originally inaccessible bribe has been moved to a new location (see 'Bug Fixes' above).
- All parachutes are set to fast respawn.
- Removed Original Pickups
- The inaccessible fire extinguisher at the LS Donut Shop has been removed.
- 9 canes from the original game have been removed to make room for our additions.
- 2 cameras from the original game have been removed to make more room for additions.
- One Flower pickup in SE Flint County has been removed to make room for additions.
Stats, skills and other things related to the player himself.
- All the buyable clothing and all specials are available in your wardrobe at the start of the game.
- Armor has been increased by 100; this means that an armor pickup prior to the vigilante mission will give you 200 armor and one after completing vigilante will give you 250 armor.
- CJ starts with 16% Driving Skill (8-Track requires 20%)
- CJ starts with 16% Flying Skill (the airport gates require 18%)
- Added Vehicle Spawns
All added vehicle spawns are marked on the map. Note that some of them are not enabled at the start but will appear gradually as the game progresses.
- Garaged Special Vehicles
Several safehouse garages have been seeded with unique vehicles to serve particular purposes such as 4-star fun or the Chain Game Rallies; many have custom wheels and extra NOS and those with green colorings usually have some sort of proofing as well. Note that the all-proofed Squalo at the Dock Garage still takes damage from collisions.
EP = explosionproof / BP = bulletproof / FP = fireproof / CP = crashproof
Garage Vehicles Specials intended for Johnson House mutant Copbike - Vigilante El Corona mutant BMX
LS Courier, BMX Challenge
Santa Maria engineless NRG
Katie Jumps Rally
Mulholland FBI Truck BP, FP / 127x NOS early Vigilante Palomino Creek Bullet
BP / 127x NOS
Badlands Endurance Rally
Skipping Palomino Rally
Dillimore mutant NRG - unique jumps Doherty Cabbie
mutant Mt. Bike
BP, FP / 127x NOS
4star Taxi Driver
Calton Heights RC Cam - fun Paradiso engineless NRG - unique jumps Dock Squalo
Fort Carson Sandking all-P / 127x NOS just because we love Sandkings Airstrip Garage Broadway
mutant Mt. Bike
BP, FP / 127x NOS
Airstrip Hangar Rustler
Prickle Pine engineless NRG
"Misappropriation" Buffalo collection
Whitewood FBI Rancher all-P / 127x NOS Vigilante fun Rockshore Sultan
all-P / 127x NOS
Homie-assisted gang wars
LS Impound mutant NRG
SF Impound mutant NRG
LV Impound mutant NRG
- Custom License Plates
All of the custom license plates for non-mission vehicles have been altered to reflect the Chain Game and to honor past and present contributors.
CHAIN4L Sweet's Greenwood (outside of missions) now proclaims his love for the Chain Game. CG4PS2V# Ryder's Picador plate reads CG4PS2 - the plate also contains the version number V1 or V2. CRZYANRG Dark red Super GT near Driving School honors crazyanurag and his excellent City Slicking skills. DINKI-DI Red Sabre at Mulholland Safehouse honors zmoonchild and mimics his actual car. GIRISHB Blue Jester in Paradiso honors girishb. T GRAM B Comet in Creek honors thegrambauer at GTAFaqs. HMVARTAK Hotknife in Whitewood honors hmvartak whose Chain Game Uploader and other SA webtools are priceless. J A J Black & White Phoenix in Doherty honors JAJ who has been running the Chain Game for over 3 years now, going strong. ORIONSR Blue Bullet at the Royal Casino parking garage. PDESCOBR Las Brujas Gold Romero honors pdescobar who has started modding Chain Game saves back in round 5. PHREAK Blue Infernus on seabed near the Panopticon honors GTA Phreak and his mastery of the "undrowning" glitches and underwater features. GLENSTER Silver Turismo in Prickle Pine honors glenster. RUBREGG Vermilion Cheetah in Rockshore honors rubregg. SEEMANN Sandking at Mulholland Armory honors Seemann the author of Sanny Builder. SAMUTZ Monster truck in Dillimore honors Samutz whose GTASnP Uploader is invaluable.
Arcade Game Easter Eggs
The four Arcade Games have special messages embedded in the initial high score list.
- "They Came From Uranus" honours Plaka from GTAForums.
- "Duality" honours HerrieM on the white side and quartet1977 on the black side, both from GTAForums.
- "Go Go Space Monkey" honours Morgoth22 from the GameFAQs forums and the SA PC Record Book.
- The starting save loads in the Jefferson Alley at 6:30. The blinking radar & message to head towards Grove Street are both intact, as is the Grove Street arrival audio. Also, the in-game map "graying" is intact.
- The Homeless Peds scripts are enabled.
- NPC Group members are accepted at Gyms, Dillimore PD, and Smoke's Palace.
- OG Viking likes this
Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:15 PM
Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:08 PM Edited by OrionSR, 07 April 2008 - 11:13 PM.
However, before I would suggest trying to complete the save to 100%, we should probably play around with it a little and make sure things are working properly. I think it would add to the value of the Chain Game for PS2 package if a 100% save was included in the download, and perhaps some saves at other key points. I'm considering reworking the later game pickups and vehicles. Without the horseshoes, snapshots, and oysters clogging up the pickup pool I can add a lot more pickups to the game. Perhaps finally put all 6 bribes back in the dining room of the Armory - they look so cool in that spot. Also, all the locked doors can be reopened, SF garages can hold more special cars, and the hidden vehicles can be redisplayed and place someplace where they won't disappear.
BTW, remember the restart traps. Here's an idea for another use: Have the restart position a few thousand meters in the air, and place a parachute pickup just below so people can face plant off the Big Ear Tower, and respawn at a very high altitude. Or maybe not Big Ear because it's a bit central. It can't be near Katie or her override will take effect, and should probably be over water incase CJ has goggles and Katie's keep weapon bonus.
Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:34 AM
If anyone has a Greatest Hits/Platinum Edition save before Green Sabre, please send me a link. I should be able to read any format of PS2 saves. It would also help to include a save after Green Sabre but before Yay Ka-Boom-Boom so I can isolate which flag controls which barrier, but this information isn't absolutely necessary for a starters save.
Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:53 AM
Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:19 PM
Also, what is V.3 for PC, I thought there were only two versions available for PC. I know the stores starting stocking SA for PC again, but they still say "second edition" on the box and it looks like the only thing that changed was they put Windows Vista requirements on the box now.
Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:40 PM
|QUOTE (radioman @ Apr 9 2008, 18:19)|
|Also, what is V.3 for PC, I thought there were only two versions available for PC. I know the stores starting stocking SA for PC again, but they still say "second edition" on the box and it looks like the only thing that changed was they put Windows Vista requirements on the box now.|
I'm not Orion but I can answer that question so I will.
V3 is the version that is sold on Steam and D2D. It is pretty much the same as V2, but it has some things changed in it.
Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:10 PM
As far as the save files go, I dug through the saves available on a European site and I think I have what I need to continue. Hopefully I'll have something to test later tonight or tomorrow, and that's when I'll really need some help.
About the only thing I could use from the disc at the moment is a complete list of binary IPLs contained in gta3.img. The file itself is huge, and the procedure is complicated, but I don't think it matters since it looks like the IPL flags are the same for PS2v1 and PS2v2. I'll turn on truth's crops and if they appear for PS2v2 then I don't need anything else - so let's wait for now.
BTW, I picked up a 128MB USB Memorex memory key at the department store for 2 bucks and it works fine with AR MAX. Only problem is that it draws too much power from the USB port on my keyboard so I've got to stick in directly into the PC.
Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:16 AM Edited by OrionSR, 28 November 2010 - 04:01 PM.
CG4PS2v2 Alpha 1 is no longer available for download at my Filefront Host.
Note on Versions: I probably need a better naming convention, but for now v1 is the Original Edition, and v2 is for the Greatest Hits, and hopefully Platinum Edition as well. NTSC and PAL version should be in the proper folders, but I have not be able to confirm anything for PAL as of yet.
So try it out and let me know if it loads, crashes, doesn't find anything, or whatever. I'm not sure what to expect. And if it does load then take a look around and see if anything crashes.
And let me know if Truth's Crops are displayed.
Update: I'm starting to grow more concerned about spawn clusters. So far the vehicles tend to spawn almost as often as I expect, but in areas with many vehicles in is very difficult to get several to appear at once. This is particularly noticeable (so far) at Grove Steet/Stadium and Doherty/Firestation/Wangs. I'm not sure that cutting back on a few boats here and there will solve this problem, and I'm not too sure how I can redistribute the cars properly.
Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:52 PM
Did the files load, crash, file not found, data corrupt, not able to download... whatever? The manual patching process is prone to errors. Even when I've got things working correctly it still may take a couple of tries to make the conversion properly.
The reports on the v1 saves have been positive. No unusual errors have been identified. PAL saves are loading as anticipated.
I need to wrap up this project or let it die. It's time to move on.
Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:07 AM
Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:52 AM
|QUOTE (radioman @ Apr 12 2008, 23:07)|
|Evidently, I may have to get Action Replay, because my Gameshark disc won't let me transfer or add saves from the pen drive to the memory card and vice versa. As soon as I can get it to work, I will let you know how it works out.|
Strange. I thought Gameshark had good support for copying saves. However, just like Gameshark, you may not get USB support with all versions of Action Replay. I had to scan the box for AR Max for a while before I finally found something that mentioned updating the cheat codes with a usb device. I asked at the store but of course the teller has no clue what these things do.
Oh, check your CD or manual for something called nport - I think that was the standard referenced for Gameshark. IIRC, .npo is the Gameshark/Sharkport format for copying saves over a network connection. This would actually be my preferred method, but I'm currently holding out hope for a method of copying saves using the Independence Exploit. So far I can copy files using a PS2 FTP server, but the format is all messed up and the saves don't work.
Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:42 PM
|QUOTE (Addicted to san andreas @ Apr 14 2008, 19:03)|
| Can you put a few supercars in ?|
Veyron, lambo etc ?
Unfortunately, that cannot be done by just modifying the savefile.
Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:13 PM
|QUOTE (Addicted to san andreas @ Apr 14 2008, 06:33)|
| Can you put a few supercars in ?|
Veyron, lambo etc ?
The best I could do as far as "supercars" was to put a few proofed vehicles in the garages. There's a Super Cabbie at the Doherty Garage for attempting taxi missions in restricted territory. There's a proofed FBI Truck and SWAT Van for vigilante, and a proofed Broadway in LV for restricted Pimping missions. There's an everything proof Sandking and Sultan just for messing around. The hangar has an everything proof Rustler and Stunt. I was fairly conservative with these additions since PC players have a handful of methods to spawn and proof the cars they want to play with, but I'm considering a few more additions for PS2. Perhaps put a few proofed vehicles in the Impound Garages at the start of the game.
Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:36 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone
Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:36 AM
Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:36 AM
Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:47 AM
Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:43 PM Edited by Eddie12390, 13 October 2008 - 06:12 PM.
Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:54 PM
Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:58 PM Edited by Eddie12390, 13 October 2008 - 10:45 PM.
If anyone needs it, they can get it here (http://www.febooti.c...ers/hex-editor/)
OK the program has a major drawback, its in the files property menu (Right click and hit properties) so its small and the find function is limited because if you try to search for the same thing more then once, it stats at the same thing it was at.
Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:29 AM
This seems to have the basic functions required. A quick test turned up some problems with the clipboard getting hung up, but restarting cleared up the confusion and the program made the proper edits for copy and pasting a whole block. I noticed a checksum-32 feature that can calculate the proper checksum for the save file if you clear the last 4 bytes of any bits before performing the calculation. I also appreciate the variable column width and byte grouping. I might have to check into this program a little more.
Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:14 AM
Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:33 AM
- OG Viking likes this
Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:54 AM
|QUOTE (gta007 @ May 11 2009, 20:52)|
|is this for ps2 version 2|
Yes, this is for ALL 3 PS2 versions(Original, Greatest Hits, and Triple-pack). I have confirmed that they work on the Greatest Hits and Triple Pack versions. You have to have AR MAX to open/transfer the save to the PS2. Hope this helps.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users