OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:15 AM

GTA San Andreas Savegame Editor v2.8 - by paultjuh

Get this tool from the author's site, the GTAGarage links are out of date.
http://www.paulinternet.nl/#sa

For PC players familiar with this tool, the major new feature is the ability to edit the gangs, cars, and peds that spawn in all of the zones in San Andreas. The author has modified his tool so it no longer causes a glitch in San Andreas Control Center - the glitch is in SACC, but it isn't being updated.

Here is a short list of features for players unfamiliar with this save editing tool.

Edit money, days, times, hour , minute length, city access, but not barriers. Toggle gang wars.
Edit Health, Armor, Body Stats, Driving Skills, Respect, Sex appeal, and Gambling
All Clothes in Wardrobe
Schools - not sure how it works.
Zones (NEW) - edit all zones, modify gang densities, change car and ped types
Change the hideout CJ will spawn at when loading (even if locked).
Weapons, Ammo, and Skills
Check off or uncheck all tags (only earn the prize once)
Check off and uncheck jumps, modify jump stats
Check off all Oysters, Snapshots, and Horseshoes

This program is designed for and works well with PC version 1.
Version 2 and v3 players can use the tool as is, but there currently isn't any support for toggling the barriers.

This topic is intended primarily for discussion on using this tool for editing PS2 save files. I have tested some of the features on a PS2 save and was able to load the save on PS2 and view the changes. This was a limited test, but successful enough to warrant opening a topic for discussion.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:17 AM Edited by OrionSR, 02 April 2008 - 12:22 AM.

Editing a PS2 Game Save

Get the PS2 Save Builder
http://www.ps2saveto...op=getit&lid=74

Buy a program that can copy your saves to a USB device - check for PS2 Save Builder compatibility. I've got AR MAX because it's the only thing the local stores sell.

Create a folder matching PC conventions so the save editor knows where to find the files.
My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\

Crunch the SA saves with AR Max
Copy the max file to a USB device
Open the save package with PS2 Save Builder
Extract the saves (*.b) to edit to My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\
Rename the save to: "GTASAsfX.b" where X is any slot number 1 - 8, no quotes
Open the save with the savegame editor and take your chances with any edits you make
* Backups are created, but be sure to keep track of your own files.
Save the game, rename for PS2 with slot number 1 - 8, 2 spaces, and a title to display
Add to a max archive using PS2 Save Builder, copy to USB
Boot AR Max and uncrunch to memory card.
Start the game, and test the edits.

I probably forgot something but I just started using these utilities so forgive me for extra or excluded detail.

Not PS2 Compatible
- Title changing - PS2 uses another method
- Barriers (roadblocks to SF and LV) - IPL flags are different on PC v1

PS2 Save Builder compatibility
AR MAX Power Save (*.pws)
AR MAX V3 (*.max)
Code Breaker Saves (*.cbs)
Nport (*.npo)
Shark Port 2 (*.sps)
Shark Port (*.md)
Xploder 4 Pro (*.p2m)
Xport 2 (*.xps)

For EMS support see:
http://www.csclub.uw...mymc/index.html

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:53 AM Edited by OrionSR, 02 April 2008 - 01:26 AM.

Related Files and Links

Several save files in AR MAX format are available at:

http://hosted.filefront.com/OrionSR

For the most part these are just debug versions of some edits I've been making. I would be interested in feedback on the Euro version file. I want to know if I packaged it correctly but can't test it directly on my system.

The most interesting save packages is SATestFiles.max. Included in the save are:

* I may have forgotten to put 2 spaces
1 In the beginning.b
2 CG4PS2a1DB.b
3 Big Smoke.b

In the beginning

Created with an emulator and a slightly modified ISO that moved the Jefferson so I could save. No missions complete, nothing purchased, Jefferson door unlocked, stats changed while running down the road to save. This file is intended as a template for other modifications, but it might be useful for developers that need a clean save to examine.

CG4PS2a1DB

A save that was similar to In the beginning before I started pasting whole blocks from my PC save just to see what would crash. Many blocks have been replaced, nothing is crashing, but there are a lot of inconsistent settings.

Big Smoke

Another early save for testing and examination. Created with an emulator and unmodified game.

Emulation Software and Memory Card Manager
http://www.pcsx2.net/
http://www.csclub.uw...mymc/index.html

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

That's an awesome save editor, Orion. Thanks for sharing it. smile.gif
I didn't even know such a thing existed. suicidal.gif

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

You'll want to be careful about using the samesave editor on Chain Game saves. Don't use it on the Starter. I think if you use it to change the location to the Whetfield farmhouse you'll cut off access to that armory. You might be able to switch to the Queens location to load the the most recent Armory used, but I suspect you'll load in a darkened room and will need to find the front door to set things right again.

Also, be sure not to use the Infinite Armor button if you plan to use the save with San Andreas Control Center. Other than that, I've had pretty good luck with this tool. I don't like using it on my crafted saves because the routines tend to make some very minor adjustments that aren't absolutely necessary, but I doubt anyone will notice the difference unless they examine the save byte for byte.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Apr 3 2008, 00:25)
You'll want to be careful about using the samesave editor on Chain Game saves. Don't use it on the Starter. I think if you use it to change the location to the Whetfield farmhouse you'll cut off access to that armory. You might be able to switch to the Queens location to load the the most recent Armory used, but I suspect you'll load in a darkened room and will need to find the front door to set things right again.

Nah, I won't be trying this on any of the CG saves for the fear of screwing them up. I have a lot many other saves to fool around with. wink.gif

I don't use the SA Control Centre. So, are there any other problems with the editor? Will it be fine if I just use the editor only and no other trainer?

ric-013
  • ric-013

glitch hunter

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

hey, orion!!

i want to thank you again for helping me greatly,with the gang density codes understanding.

seems your topic and mine will cross path often....on density value settings.

here's the link:
>TERRITORY GLITCH CHEATDEVICE CODES PS2<

i hope to build a strong info' sharing relationship between the two topics. so far i have no new info's...but when i do, i will post it here as well.

thanks.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:29 PM

Oh hey ric. Sorry. I thought I included a link to your topic in my notes above.

PS2 players will be especially interested in ric's topic as his codes can change gang types other than Balla, Grove, and Vago, and also add dealers and adjust the unknown ped type. The unknown ped type byte isn't well documented, but if you play around with it a little you can get different peds or dealers in some zones, and often you can restore fairly normal car and ped density for zones that become deserted when the gangs are added.

girishb, of course you wouldn't want to use the savegame editor during the chain game rounds, but if you were using a chain game starter save or using a chain game for just messing around, then you might be tempted to play with some of the features of the editor - why not. It's just that the location tool needs to adjust the enex connections to work properly, and the author doesn't have a way to anticipate how I've redirected things. So if you save at the Farmhouse, you'll end up at the Country House save disk, and when you exit the door leading in will remember it's connected to the country house interior instead of the armory.

If the location tool of the savegame editor was a little more robust it could be used to explore hidden or locked interiors, add extra hideouts, or connect two doors to make a warp. However, it's pretty easy to completely scramble the enex connections so it would probably be necessary to have a reset button or ability to remember configurations.

And as far as using the tool on your (backup) saves and use with other trainers: SACC will have overflow problems if you use the Infinite Armor setting. Used together these tools provide a very powerful combination. Since SACC is the only trainer I use I am unaware of any problems they may have. I don't expect anything, the savegame editor has been through a few versions and many of the bugs have already been identified and eliminated.

Based on version 2.7, the savegame editor reliably alters the save without causing any problems. Some things always get adjusted even if you don't use the feature. For example, Gang Tags are rounded up to 255 if they aren't completely sprayed over. Other than that, I doubt you could tell the difference between the saves without a file compare utility. The changes don't appear to do anything other than frustrate me because I can't use it on my crafted saves without changing a few extra bytes here and there.

I'm currently in the process of converting my scripts so I can create Chain Game style saves for PS2. It looks like I'm going to be able to provide all of the major chain game features, including script changes like enabling the Homeless Peds, and unlocking the schools and races from the beginning of the game. I suspect it will take a few days to produce the 1st fully developed save, then I could use some help with testing. I need a PS2 player with the PAL version to test if I can package the saves properly for EU players. Also, I'm confused about any difference in versions. Is there a difference for v1 and v2/great hits/platinum edition/etc for the PS2? Most of the PS2 saves don't have very detailed descriptions. PC players can test the unconverted save by using PS2 v1 scripts with the PC Engine and data files. I can provide the scripts to anyone interested.

ric-013
  • ric-013

glitch hunter

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:39 PM Edited by ric-013, 03 April 2008 - 10:41 PM.

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Apr 3 2008, 22:29)
Oh hey ric. Sorry. I thought I included a link to your topic in my notes above.

Also, I'm confused about any difference in versions. Is there a difference for v1 and v2/great hits/platinum edition/etc for the PS2? Most of the PS2 saves don't have very detailed descriptions. 

no harm done,

about differance in greatest hits/special ed./platinum ed. im much intresseted in that too, i made a request at CMP to see if anybody can help...i think the adresses changes,but not the values.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

If I get my crafted saves working well enough I might look into picking up an updated copy of SA for PS2. If I make the same changes to the v2 scripts there's a pretty good chance I can get the saves to run when I convert them from PC to PS2. This trick works on the PC versions fairly well. The IPL flags are about the only thing that's different from one version and the next if the same script is used.

There is no difference in region for PC saves, and this seems to be true of the PS2 save files as well. The difference appears to be in the folder name used to hold the saves. I suspect I can repackage the same save for PAL or NTSC and it'll work for both systems.

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

difference between the versions is glitchs are fixed in ones after version 1 etc. like version 1 had hot coffee removed and some other glitches fixed.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:43 AM Edited by OrionSR, 07 April 2008 - 12:39 AM.

Took a while, but I finally have what I hope is a fully functional Chain Game save for PS2. There are 3 saves in the AR MAX archive (get PS2 Save Builder if you need another format).

1 In the beginning - nothing special, should load 1st without problems
2 CG4PS2v1a3 - this is a working beginning save, should play through to 100%
3 CG4PS2v1a3DB - debug version.

The debug version has cities unlocked, CJ can buy properties, stats are boosted a bit, extra cash; allows testing of features in SF and LV, but will probably glitch during the later missions. All vehicles are displayed.

http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html

Maps and descriptions of many of the CG features are available at:
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=316156

Please download this save and give it a try. I have one annoying problem with an easter egg to work out, but then I hope to settle in for some serious debugging. There are a million little details I want to look over and it would be impossible at this point to describe them all. Please, I could use a little feedback.

You can repackage these saves for PAL or other save formats with PS2 Save Builder. Just extract save 2 or 3 (the .b files) and put it into a folder with other SA Saves and it should work fine. I can try to put together a Euro version if people are interested.

Update: I've worked out the bug with the easter egg, and found another fairly large problem what will be easy to solve in the next release.

ric-013
  • ric-013

glitch hunter

• Members

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Apr 6 2008, 02:43)
You can repackage these saves for PAL or other save formats with PS2 Save Builder. Just extract save 2 or 3 (the .b files) and put it into a folder with other SA Saves and it should work fine. I can try to put together a Euro version if people are interested.

here's something i found out that might help you for pal porting...when i ported the "territory glitch" codes from ntsc to pal,adresses for pal were +00000100 (hex)

hope it might help you out

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

I've been reading up on NTSC and PAL conversions. Apparently 99% of all save formats are identical. The only difference appears to be in the folder used to hold the save. If you copy a save into one of your own folders with working saves then you should be able to load and play the save. However, version 1 and version 2 of San Andreas use slightly different saves.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:25 PM Edited by OrionSR, 07 April 2008 - 12:29 PM.

A features that allows the ability to alter custom plates assignments would make a nice addition to the savegame editor.

Klax*187
  • Klax*187

Real Oradea City G

• Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

everything is perfect with this mod except Hot Coffe doesn't work for me whatsthat.gif

I don't know why,please help...

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Klax*187 @ Sep 2 2008, 17:07)
everything is perfect with this mod except Hot Coffe doesn't work for me whatsthat.gif

You more than likely have V.2, and the Hot Coffee mod will not work on V.2, only V.1. Check the box the game came in, or on the start screen before loading game: if it says on the box "Second Edition", it is V.2 and on the start screen it'll say V.2.0. Also, on V.2 the remove bridge barriers will not work either, but everything else does. Hope this helps.

Klax*187
  • Klax*187

Real Oradea City G

• Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:00 PM Edited by Klax*187, 02 September 2008 - 11:04 PM.

QUOTE (radioman @ Sep 2 2008, 22:28)
QUOTE (Klax*187 @ Sep 2 2008, 17:07)
everything is perfect with this mod except Hot Coffe doesn't work for me  whatsthat.gif

You more than likely have V.2, and the Hot Coffee mod will not work on V.2, only V.1. Check the box the game came in, or on the start screen before loading game: if it says on the box "Second Edition", it is V.2 and on the start screen it'll say V.2.0. Also, on V.2 the remove bridge barriers will not work either, but everything else does. Hope this helps.

no man I'm sure I have V 1

the barriers work fine...and I also checked my SA version from control panel...

Add/Remove Programs -> GTA San Andreas -> I clicked support information and It say version 1.01 !

LE:

but I also have some custom mods spaceeinstein made for me...

so my main.scm and script is not really the default one...

I told him to put some mods together for me in one script...

Non retarded homies / get cj high and drunk / give and take / and yes,Hot Coffe (this didn't work with his mod either :| )

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

The v1.01 patch was the cold coffee patch. Perhaps that is causing the trouble.

Klax*187
  • Klax*187

Real Oradea City G

• Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Sep 2 2008, 23:14)

any chance to "downgrade" this thing ?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (Klax*187 @ Sep 2 2008, 18:30)

I think the only way to get rid of the patch is to do an un-install/re-install. If you want to keep the mods, back them up before the un-install. If you have a V.2, you can get a V.1 off of sites like e-bay, which sale used merchandise. Hope this helps.

coscraft134
  • coscraft134

Pinoy GTA Gamer

• Members

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (radioman @ Sep 3 2008, 06:02)
QUOTE (Klax*187 @ Sep 2 2008, 18:30)

I think the only way to get rid of the patch is to do an un-install/re-install. If you want to keep the mods, back them up before the un-install. If you have a V.2, you can get a V.1 off of sites like e-bay, which sale used merchandise. Hope this helps.

hehehehehe...... w8 a second but many of them are not interested to pay and download on eBay, i think they should be search a direct download like rapidshare, megaupload etc.... or search in limewire or frostwire..... hehehehe........ don't find a downgrade in filefront coz there a no download server available in dat area so the only way to find dat downgrade is to search anything of yahoo search or any search engine..... ^^

chapapote
  • chapapote

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

I think it hasn't been said in this topic... For some reason, the map locations of the turfs in the zone section aren't related to the true locations...

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (chapapote @ Sep 8 2008, 11:44)
I think it hasn't been said in this topic... For some reason, the map locations of the turfs in the zone section aren't related to the true locations...

Really? The zones for the savegame editor v2.8 appear to be correct for my version - NTSC/NA - V1. But I've used another tool that marked them differently, I thought incorrectly. Perhaps there is a version difference that accounts for the variation.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

One thing I was wondering about the PS2 save editor, is if you transfer the saves from your PS2 memory card to the PS3 harddrive, will you be able to transfer the save(s) directly to the flash drive than to the PC and back to the PS3 then back to the PS2 memory card without having to use a Ar Max/gameshark? Will it work?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

I'm not sure. Last I heard the method for transferring saves from PS2 to PS3 was a one-way process. However, this seemed to be frustrating many users so perhaps the software has been updated. Give it a try and let us know what you discover.

However, the savegame editor was not designed for PS2 game saves. As I got more into the details of the saves I noticed some major differences in the global variables used by PS2. The first couple of thousand seem to match up correctly for PS2v1; the rest are offset by 1. None of the PS2v2 global variables match any other version. All are offset by 4, and then 5. I'm not sure which globals are modified by the savegame editor, and there is a chance that some might get changed even if you try not make any modifications. Use great caution when using the savegame editor v2.8 on PS2 save files.

dxk
  • dxk

The Boss...

• Members

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Wow! how did I miss this! I'm gonna take it out for a spin. icon14.gif

chapapote
  • chapapote

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

BTW, is there something similar to this for GTA 3 and VC? I used the Search tool but I didn't find anything.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (chapapote @ Oct 5 2008, 20:28)
BTW, is there something similar to this for GTA 3 and VC? I used the Search tool but I didn't find anything.

There are no specific save editors or atleast I haven't come across any. But you can find some pretty good other useful editors over here:
*http://projectcerbera.com/gta/3/tutorials/editors
*http://projectcerbera.com/gta/vc/tutorials/editors

chapapote
  • chapapote

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

That's not what I was looking for, it's oriented to game modding instead of savegame editing, but I'll remember that page if I ever need it. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users