Quantcast

» «
Photo

The 2008 Summer Olympics

336 replies to this topic

Poll: Highlight of the games? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Highlight of the games?

1. Record breaking Phelps (23 votes [31.08%])

Percentage of vote: 31.08%

2. Usain 'lightning' Bolt (19 votes [25.68%])

Percentage of vote: 25.68%

3. Rebecca Adlington (2 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. GB velodrome success (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

5. china's 51 gold medals (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

6. Jamaica's success in the sprinting (7 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

7. 08.08.08.08.08 (The opening ceremony) (7 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

8. Other... (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote
flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

Lol, looks like me and your dad have a lot in common. I completely love the Olympics, I watch just about every event. And kudos to him for supporting Forest. icon14.gif

You've met Colin Jackson? Awesome, he was a tremendous athletes. However, his Mr Nice guy approach on the tel annoys the f*ck out of me. But yeah, I'm sure he's a nice guy.

And I've just been on the official Olympic website, the draws for the fotball/soccer have been drawn and are as follows,

Men-

Group AAustraliaCote D'IvoireArgentinaSerbia
Group B
Netherlands
Nigeria
Japan
USA
Group C
China
New Zealend
Brazil
Belgium
Group D
Republic of Korea
Cameroon
Honduras
Italy

Women-

Group AChinaSwedenArgentinaCanada
Group B
DPRK
Nigeria
Germany
Brazil
Group C
Norway
USA
Japan
New Zealand

Some decent teams in the running this year. I can see the Swedish national Women's team going far, as well as Netherlands for the men. I don't know why to be honest.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

Oh my Argentina,Ivoryans,and aussies mercie_blink.gif

Last time we met Argentina at Wc 06 we lost 6:0 and we lost 6:0 as well at the 04 olympics.We lost 5:1 by the Aussies in the 04 olympics,and we lost by Ivory Coast 3:2 in WC 2006.

I'd have a say we have a chance to go throught that group,don't you think ? tounge2.gif

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:53 AM

Can I join the country game?

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

Yeah sure, I've drew your country, it's Romania. icon14.gif

Only 96 days to go, cannot wait. And the 33 day controversial Olympic torch relay has finally come to an end. Wish I could venture out there and watch the Olympics. sad.gif

Eddie280
  • Eddie280

Slow down, You bitch!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (flicko @ May 3 2008, 18:59)
Yeah sure, I've drew your country, it's Romania. icon14.gif

Only 96 days to go, cannot wait. And the 33 day controversial Olympic torch relay has finally come to an end. Wish I could venture out there and watch the Olympics. sad.gif

Hey, don't worry mate. In a 4 years it will be with us English in London so you can watch it then. smile.gif

I love the atmosphere surrounding the Olympics. This years should be great if it isn't spoilt by politics.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

Loving the bump Max, and only 67 days to go! <3

Yeah I'm definitely going to venture down to London to watch the games. But knowing us Brits, we won't have everything finihed in time!

As well as the politics, the state China's in at the moment may affect proceedings as well. I think it's fair to say, China's not oing through there best period for quite some time, let's hope that changes for the Olympics.

And has anybody heard about that man who's apparently been allowed to compete in the Olympics, with two artificial legs? Surely he's disabled, and the paralympics are for him, no? Completely ludacris.

Anyway, a paralympian 16 year old swimmer from where I work is going to Beijing later in the year, after breaking smashing his own World records by about three seconds, about 5 times! And a girl called Rebecca Addlington is competing in the Olympics as well, and she trains where I work.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

Apologies for the double post, but this is necessary.

There is a new fastest man in history!

His name? Usain Bolt. In only his fifth race over 100m Bolt clocked in a time of 9.72 seconds for the 100m, beating fellow Jamaican Asafa Powell's 9.74 record by a decent gap. Still only 21, I'm sure he'll break this record more and more. Truly awe-inspiring. And how good is the Olympics oing to be? There's Tyson Gay, Asafa Powell an Usain Bolt amongst a host of others in the 100m event. f*cking hell I can't wait.

Here's the article about Usain Bolt's record.

And here's the video, where you'll see him demolish Tyson Gay-

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

I saw it in the news, great run by him icon14.gif

Hopefully he wasn't using steroids like many do now... confused.gif

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Heeeey, i hope this has a good run since it really had to take ages to do. The effort is damn respectable.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

Update; In the upcoming weeks I'm going to make an Olympic schedule on the first post, so keep your eyes peeled for that. Also, places are still up for grabs concerning the Country game, anybody can take part, whether you like the Olympics or not, and it could be some good fun.

Anyway, you'll notice that a poll has been added, due to the decision made by the B.O.A earlier today that Dwain Chamber's lifetime Olympic ban will stay as it is, and he won't going going to Beijing next month. The question is, do you agree?

Personally I think it's fantastic news. Despite Dwain Chambers currently being the fastest man in Great Britain, and despite the fact that many other countries would have repeeled there decision, taking performance enhancing drugs is NOT tolerated, and a punishment of this magnitude is more than aceptable. I feel no sympathy what-so-ever for Dwain, he knew the consequences, he had no reason to take performance enhancing drugs. And with todays modern technology, he surely knew he would've been caught? Pure stupidity in my eyes.

This also gives Great Britain a great reputation knowing the fact that we're taking part in the '08 Olympics, drug free*. I've got no doubt in my mind that if Dwain hadn't been so shameful and stupid by not taking performance enhancing drugs, he would still be the fastest man in Britian, which he undoubtedly proved last week, and the whole country would be backing him as our greatest hope of winning a medal in the 100m category. Now it's down to somebody else, who has worked hard and deserved there place. Dwain is a cheat, and that's the bottom line. For all I care he can quit athletics for good and go and play Rugby league, I don't give a sh*t.

The decision to uphold Dwain's lifetime ban has been made far too late in my opinion, and wasn't fair for the other athletes who were hoping for a slot in the 100m men's category. I know that The B.O.A waited to see if Chamber's was up to standard, but they still could have made there decision way before, knowing full well that it would have been a no in the first place.

Conclusion, I'm chuffed with the B.O.A's decision and wish all the athletes competing for Britain in this years Olympics the best of luck.

* Aside from current 400m World champion Christine Ohurogu, who, despite wasn't convicted of taking performance enhancing drugs, missed three Drug tests, yet hasn't received a ban and is eligible to compete for Britain in the Olympics, and defend her crown as the greatest 400m runner on Earth. I disagree with this decision as well, why should somebody miss a drug test in the first place, never mind three? Ludicris.

Another question regarding football; Do you agree or disagree at Nations competing in the Olympics taking players away form there respective clubs to take part in the Olympics, just when the domestic season is geting underway?

I feel this decision is up to the player in all honesty. He can either represent his country, and try to make his counrty proud and Olympic champions, or represent his club and try to make his respective club proud. The Olympics come aound once every four years, and I'm sure taking part in them would be a dream to some players, and the opportunity to make there country proud would be too hard to turn down. After all, after a month away at the Olympics they can get back to playing club football, albeit a bit fatigued and maybe out of form.

Back to Beijing, with only 21 days to go until the opening ceremony, preperation is really starting to take shape. With Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay both coming to Crystal palace to compete against each other, which will be something to look forward to.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:33 PM

I'd like to take part in the country games, please. biggrin.gif

I voted no; if Great Britain are to have a chance at winning, you can't let a person's past dictate whether they enter or not. If they were punished, they should've learnt; if they haven't learnt, well... you just take their achievements off them.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

Stefan., you've ended up with Bulgaria.

About the poll, in my eyes, it's ot about winning, it's about fair play. Fact is, in the past, Chambers and Ohurogu haven't abided by simple rules, and therefore should not be able to take part in such events. I feel the B.O.A have made the correct choiceand also feel that justice is served.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:48 AM

Bulgaria, hmm... well, at least I'll get some points from weightlifting. tounge.gif

And about the football players, of course the player should be allowed to represent his country. Most of the time, he'll miss out 3 league games or something, but regardless of that, the Olympics are once every four years, and only for under 23 players. I'm a bit disappointed because one of Serbia's best young defenders, Duško Tošić, can't go to the Olympics because Werder Bremen won't let him. sad.gif But, oh well, what can you do?

I'm excited because this is the first time I'll ever see Serbia (the country of my heritage) play Australia (the country of my birth and residence). biggrin.gif

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Jul 19 2008, 11:48)
I'm excited because this is the first time I'll ever see Serbia (the country of my heritage) play Australia (the country of my birth and residence). biggrin.gif

A rather similar situation for me, albeit in the women's tournament - I'll see China (heritage) versus Canada (nationality). biggrin.gif

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Jul 19 2008, 03:48)
Bulgaria, hmm... well, at least I'll get some points from weightlifting. tounge.gif

And about the football players, of course the player should be allowed to represent his country. Most of the time, he'll miss out 3 league games or something, but regardless of that, the Olympics are once every four years, and only for under 23 players. I'm a bit disappointed because one of Serbia's best young defenders, Duško Tošić, can't go to the Olympics because Werder Bremen won't let him. sad.gif But, oh well, what can you do?

Looking at all the other member's countrys, you've got a really decent chance.

And both Ronaldinho (28) and Robinho (24) are going to the Olympics this year, so where'd you get that under-23 rule from?

Wow, the poll is neck and neck, it would be nice for people to share there view on the decision at hand, would be an interesting discussion.

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:04 AM

I believe the Football at the Olympics Rules state that a team must be completely U-23, with the exception of 3 players, who can be any age above 23.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:25 AM

In Men’s Olympic Football, each 18-member squad must include at least 15 athletes less than 23 years of age. There is no age limit for the remaining three.

Right you are. Seems a little sceptical to me. Basically the football aspect of the Olympics is an under 23 competition, with the exception of a caouple of players. Football at the Olympics isn't really exciting, but is a good chance to take a look at future stars.

Also, I heard recently that Carolina Kluft has been ruled out of the Olympics, which will undoubtedly give Kelly Sotherton a fantastic chance of victory in the heptathlon. Let's hope she's n her best form and can emulate the feats of Denise Lewis eiaght years ago.

Lazlow Chatterbox
  • Lazlow Chatterbox

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

I'm gonna be the Aussies! (Australia).

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (Lazlow Chatterbox @ Jul 20 2008, 16:52)
I'm gonna be the Aussies! (Australia).

No you're not, you don't choose, you get given one, otherwise everyone will pick the main ones (such as America, China, Russia).

I don't know why, but I'll be going for the Serbs at the Olympics. The Aussies are good at most things, but the Serbs aren't (just Soccer, Basketball and Water Polo) so they'll be the underdogs.

Napred Srbi!

Lazlow Chatterbox
  • Lazlow Chatterbox

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

Fine then just give me a good one.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Lazlow Chatterbox @ Jul 20 2008, 19:51)

It'd drawn by a raffle; it's a competition, and we can't be unfair, can't we?

Lazlow Chatterbox
  • Lazlow Chatterbox

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Jul 20 2008, 19:57)

No sir

greebo-man
  • greebo-man

Hello

• Members

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Can I be in the Country game?
Great idea, and well done for all the work that's gone into this.

The Olympic closing stages always coincide with my birthday, so as one awesome thing closes, another thing begins.

Lazlow Chatterbox
  • Lazlow Chatterbox

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (greebo-man @ Jul 20 2008, 21:11)
Can I be in the Country game?
Great idea, and well done for all the work that's gone into this.

The Olympic closing stages always coincide with my birthday, so as one awesome thing closes, another thing begins.

It is 3 days before my birthday (The 11th)!!! And there is a ad on TV with a song about my birthday. Lucky Me. smile.gif

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Jul 20 2008, 09:57)

I think everybody who reads this knows that I have been in no way unfair. That's just not sportsman. If you'll look at the country I've ended up with, bearing in mind I'm the one drawing the country's out, to call me unfair would be absurd. And no, I'm not saying you are calling me Stefan., I'm just stating this so everybody is clear.

Right, onto the country game. Lazlow you lucky bastard, you've been drawn Germany. And Greebo-man you've got hungary. icon14.gif

Eddie280
  • Eddie280

Slow down, You bitch!

• Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

Yay flicko the bumpasaurus strikes again. smile.gif

Anyway, Dwayne Chambers should be allowed to compete imo, if he has been clean for a considerable time and he has the ability to win medals for this country. It seems a little anal to prevent the fastest sportsman in the country from competeing for drug problems he had in the past.

Oh, and in the country game I seem to remember I'm France. Baptisite will be jealous. tounge.gif

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Eddie280 @ Jul 21 2008, 11:49)

Anyway, Dwayne Chambers should be allowed to compete imo, if he has been clean for a considerable time and he has the ability to win medals for this country. It seems a little anal to prevent the fastest sportsman in the country from competeing for drug problems he had in the past.

Oh, and in the country game I seem to remember I'm France. Baptisite will be jealous. tounge.gif

Its not anal at all.
If he was allowed to run I would never have watched it again. Hes a drug cheat.
If he had of got let off it would have sent out the wrong signals to many young athletes in this country that you can get away with taking drugs.
He should never be allowed to race for GB again.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Waddy @ Jul 21 2008, 12:26)
QUOTE (Eddie280 @ Jul 21 2008, 11:49)

Its not anal at all.
If he was allowed to run I would never have watched it again. Hes a drug cheat.
If he had of got let off it would have sent out the wrong signals to many young athletes in this country that you can get away with taking drugs.
He should never be allowed to race for GB again.

That's exactly the way I feel. Bottom line, he cheated, when he had no need to. For that, his punishment, in my eyes, is acceptable, although a little lenient towards him. I wish he just went to play for Castleford Tigers and never interfered with athletics again, trying to soil our countrys reputation.

I'm not going to go on a rant again, I've said my view on the previous page, but the likes of Justin Gatlin, Ben Johnson, Marion Jones etc are rotten bastards and clearly have no love for the sport.

Any athlete on Earth who takes performance enhacing drugs deserves no respect.

Oh and Eddie, besides my country, I think you've finally got some competition in Lazlow Chatterbox, after all Germany finished above France at the last Olympics.

greebo-man
  • greebo-man

Hello

• Members

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

Hungary...Could be a lot worse.
Cheers. icon14.gif

Lazlow Chatterbox
  • Lazlow Chatterbox

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (flicko @ Jul 21 2008, 19:41)
Lazlow you lucky bastard, you've been drawn Germany.

Yay! I am lucky!!! Germany came 6th in 2004. But its the only lucky thing today. (My gaming computer is stuffed it won't turn on!!!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users