Quantcast

» «
Photo

The 2008 Summer Olympics

336 replies to this topic

Poll: Highlight of the games? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Highlight of the games?

1. Record breaking Phelps (23 votes [31.08%])

Percentage of vote: 31.08%

2. Usain 'lightning' Bolt (19 votes [25.68%])

Percentage of vote: 25.68%

3. Rebecca Adlington (2 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. GB velodrome success (4 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

5. china's 51 gold medals (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

6. Jamaica's success in the sprinting (7 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

7. 08.08.08.08.08 (The opening ceremony) (7 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

8. Other... (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote
!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Sep 6 2008, 20:21)
The least they could do is give both athletes gold. colgate.gif

That is what i believe is the fairest option, too.

dre91
  • dre91

One day.... I'm goin' legitimate

• Members

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

Actually, I saw a video where Phelps touched the wall first. I hate to admit it, but he did. Cavic didn't have luck at the end because of the way he finished the race (he was under water and that's the reason why he was slower than Phelps who at the very end had his arms flying above the water and because of that could move faster). Unfortunatelly, you can't choose the way you'd like to finish the race. bored.gif It totally sucks because as we can all see this resulted to Phelps winning by being only 1/100 of 1 second faster than Cavic! suicidal.gif Unbelievable! He was even leading the whole race and it seemed certain that the Serb would be #1 at the end...

But, Cavic seemed very pleased with his achievement and congratulations to him for bringing us the silver medal! smile.gif
Gold for both seems like the ideal idea to me as well. That would be most fair for both, I agree. icon14.gif

@stefan: so, you're Serbian?

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

Doesn't te Serbian flag have a little crest to the slight left of it?

Stefan: (http://100thofasecond.com/)

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (radicell @ Sep 6 2008, 14:16)
Stefan: (http://100thofasecond.com/)

Cheers for the link, mate. Looking at the "darn evidence" page, at picture labelled "Exhibit C", it clearly looks like Cavic touched first. Very interesting stuff.

dre91
  • dre91

• Members

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (radicell @ Sep 6 2008, 14:16)
Doesn't te Serbian flag have a little crest to the slight left of it?

The Serbian flag is the one I have right now.
Just because he lives in Australia, it doesn't mean he's Australian.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:13 AM

Well technically I am Australian considering I have an Australian passport and citizenship, but my parents are Serbian.

@radicell: That's the official government flag, which has the coat of arms on the left hand side. The national flag of Serbia is just red, blue and white and the religious flag is red, blue and white with a golden symbol in the middle. Confusing, eh?

@flicko: That's the video I saw on the news. Interesting, eh?

radicell
  • radicell

Arsenal Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Sep 7 2008, 08:13)
Well technically I am Australian considering I have an Australian passport and citizenship, but my parents are Serbian.

@radicell: That's the official government flag, which has the coat of arms on the left hand side. The national flag of Serbia is just red, blue and white and the religious flag is red, blue and white with a golden symbol in the middle. Confusing, eh?

Ahh, hence 'Cvetkovic'.

Right, one's the national flag, and another's the state flag, gotcha.

Runey
  • Runey

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:49 AM Edited by Runey., 07 September 2008 - 01:54 AM.

It was just a close result, I love how everyone is all up in arms like they fixed the event or something, like they planned on such a finish just so he could break the record.

dozingoff.gif

Oh wait, he's American, so he must have cheated, it's also why people can't look at the greatness he achieved, just that .001 of a second where people think he screwed everyone over. Give me a break.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (Runey. @ Sep 7 2008, 11:49)
It was just a close result, I love how everyone is all up in arms like they fixed the event or something, like they planned on such a finish just so he could break the record.

dozingoff.gif

Oh wait, he's American, so he must have cheated, it's also why people can't look at the greatness he achieved, just that .001 of a second where people think he screwed everyone over. Give me a break.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that we weren't allowed to discuss a particular Olympic event.

This is the Olympic topic, nobody is saying he cheated or anything, we're just having a casual debate about the event. If it angers you or anything then don't post at all. confused.gif

Also, what does it have to do with being American? He could have been from Sierra Leone for all I care, it's still interesting to debate a result with such different opinions. I mean not everyone agrees that Cavic touched first, and not everyone agrees that Phelps touched first, which is why it's interesting to debate!

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

I don't know, after seeing that link that radicell posted who knows who won. I just remember skipping frame by frame in on my HD DVR and thought I saw Phelps' finger tips just barely touching before Cavic. But I'm sure the IOC looked into it. If they found something that contradicted the results, they would have said so.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Sep 7 2008, 16:10)
I don't know, after seeing that link that radicell posted who knows who won. I just remember skipping frame by frame in on my HD DVR and thought I saw Phelps' finger tips just barely touching before Cavic. But I'm sure the IOC looked into it. If they found something that contradicted the results, they would have said so.

Yeah, I mean it's the Olympics, it's too popular to be fixed or biased or anything.

I doubt it was fixed; even if Phelps actually did touch the wall first, I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't be angry, because it's fair; he touched the wall first. I'm just saying that if a result such as this is so close and many people have different views on the result, why not declare it a "dead heat" and give both athletes the medal?

dre91
  • dre91

• Members

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Sep 7 2008, 10:47)
I don't know, after seeing that link that radicell posted who knows who won.  I just remember skipping frame by frame in on my HD DVR and thought I saw Phelps' finger tips just barely touching before Cavic.  But I'm sure the IOC looked into it.  If they found something that contradicted the results, they would have said so.

Yeah, I mean it's the Olympics, it's too popular to be fixed or biased or anything.

I doubt it was fixed; even if Phelps actually did touch the wall first, I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't be angry, because it's fair; he touched the wall first. I'm just saying that if a result such as this is so close and many people have different views on the result, why not declare it a "dead heat" and give both athletes the medal?

Agreed. icon14.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Sep 7 2008, 03:47)
I don't know, after seeing that link that radicell posted who knows who won.  I just remember skipping frame by frame in on my HD DVR and thought I saw Phelps' finger tips just barely touching before Cavic.  But I'm sure the IOC looked into it.  If they found something that contradicted the results, they would have said so.

Because the only people with views that matter have all agreed that Phelps won.

.01 is the smallest margin that someone could win. They declared that was how much he won by. If it were any smaller, I'd say it's a tie.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Sep 8 2008, 13:27)
QUOTE (Stefan. @ Sep 7 2008, 03:47)

Because the only people with views that matter have all agreed that Phelps won.

.01 is the smallest margin that someone could win. They declared that was how much he won by. If it were any smaller, I'd say it's a tie.

I know that, and it's just bad luck I guess, and I can't do anything about it. My point is that I still think that Cavic touched first.

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

I dont think that it is very fair that the sensors that they touch require quite a lot of pressure to set them off. This is why, i believe, the said Phelps won it.
Cavic touched first but didn't set it off because it was a very sensitive touch, Phelps then came in and pressed hard which set it off.
It isn't fair for people, like Cavic, who finish slower and with more.... finesse, you could say.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (!!GameCH33TA!! @ Sep 8 2008, 20:08)
I dont think that it is very fair that the sensors that they touch require quite a lot of pressure to set them off. This is why, i believe, the said Phelps won it.
Cavic touched first but didn't set it off because it was a very sensitive touch, Phelps then came in and pressed hard which set it off.
It isn't fair for people, like Cavic, who finish slower and with more.... finesse, you could say.

I know, it annoys me too, but it's sport, things happen and if you let it get to you too much then you have some issues.

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Sep 9 2008, 20:11)
I know, it annoys me too, but it's sport, things happen and if you let it get to you too much then you have some issues.

Yeah, i know. But im not letting it get to me, just enjoying this argument/debate.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

Commentators so far during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator: 'This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.'

2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.'

4. Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'

5. Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.'

6. Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'

biggrin.gif

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (Waddy @ Sep 16 2008, 01:56)
2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'

lol.gif
This is a good 'un.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

I implore everyone to join this Facebook group.

I'd do a routine with Shawn Johnson, Alicia Sacramone and Nastia Liukin

(http://www.new.faceb...gid=23291612903)

Because you know you would.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users