Photo

Black Maverick

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic
jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:09 AM Edited by jnsg, 12 March 2008 - 06:11 AM.

I've been collecting vehicles of unique appearance (UCCs as termed in System Error's guide) and I think I've found one that isn't mentioned anywhere in general (after a cursory Google search) and isn't in SE's guide in particular. Several all-black Mavericks attack you during the Toreno mission Interdiction. You have to shoot them all down, protecting a Leviathan. I found it odd that this was not mentioned in SE's guide, not even in the section on unobtainable vehicles.

My question is, has anyone noticed or even managed to obtain this thing?

They don't seem to fly low enough for a mid-air jacking, and upon failing the mission (by blowing up the Leviathan) they seem to just fly away. The only method for obtaining one that I can think of, is by failing the mission after shooting one down and then pushing the blown-up hulk to Verdant Meadows. I've attempted this (by using a vehicle to push), but the 2-star wanted level you get from downing one to start with has been a little too much for me to handle at the same time.

I'm on PC, if that matters. I don't know if the reason that I haven't seen it mentioned before is that they aren't black on PS2 or what.

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

Well, if you could push the heap to Verdant Meadows, it should be there in the hangar.

Other than that, I htink it was just a one-off vehicle. For that mission.

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:25 AM Edited by zmoonchild, 12 March 2008 - 09:49 AM.

There's already a topic on this.

Just use the Search Function next time, that's what it's there for. wink.gif

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Mar 12 2008, 07:25)
There's already a topic on this.

Just use the Search Function next time, that's what it's there for. wink.gif

Gosh, now I feel sheepish. Thanks, though.

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:53 PM Edited by zmoonchild, 12 March 2008 - 08:56 PM.

QUOTE (jnsg @ Mar 12 2008, 01:09)
They don't seem to fly low enough for a mid-air jacking, and upon failing the mission (by blowing up the Leviathan) they seem to just fly away. The only method for obtaining one that I can think of, is by failing the mission after shooting one down and then pushing the blown-up hulk to Verdant Meadows. I've attempted this (by using a vehicle to push), but the 2-star wanted level you get from downing one to start with has been a little too much for me to handle at the same time.

By the way, to answer some of your questions:

The Mavericks can be lured down to the ground by lightly shooting them with a minigun, but not shooting them enough to destroy them. Unfortunately, C.J. can hijack them; pressing the 'Enter' button does nothing when they get close enough to the ground, unlike regular Police Mavericks when they get close to the ground, which can be hijacked very easily.

Also, destroying the Mavericks and pushing them to Verdant Meadows wouldn't accomplish anything, because you're not allowed to purchased Verdant Meadows yet; the ability to buy it comes after that mission.
That means you would have to push the Mavericks to a garage in either San Fierro or Los Santos that could fit them; pretty hard to do with a 2-Star Wanted Level.
I have tried pushing one of them with a Dozer, but just gave up because the distance was just too great.

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Mar 12 2008, 20:53)
The Mavericks can be lured down to the ground by lightly shooting them with a minigun, but not shooting them enough to destroy them. Unfortunately, C.J. can hijack them; pressing the 'Enter' button does nothing when they get close enough to the ground, unlike regular Police Mavericks when they get close to the ground, which can be hijacked very easily.

Ah, but could they be towed with a Towtruck? I will try this.

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Mar 12 2008, 20:53)
Also, destroying the Mavericks and pushing them to Verdant Meadows wouldn't accomplish anything, because you're not allowed to purchased Verdant Meadows yet; the ability to buy it comes after that mission.
That means you would have to push the Mavericks to a garage in either San Fierro or Los Santos that could fit them; pretty hard to do with a 2-Star Wanted Level.
I have tried pushing one of them with a Dozer, but just gave up because the distance was just too great.

I was under the impression that the garage at Verdant Meadows was always accessible, similarly to the Doherty garage, which you can use from the start of the game. You do seem to be right, though about this one. I went there and neither the garage nor the hanger opened for me. That does leave the safe house at Fort Carson, though, which is the next closest one.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

What about creating a SCM garage nearby and using the "Not wanted" cheat?

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (QwertyAAA @ Mar 12 2008, 23:39)

I am personally trying to find a way to do this without mods or cheats of any kind. If you aren't adverse to such actions, that could work I guess. Although it seems like if you are going to go that far, you might as well mod a Maverick to be black yourself and forgo the whole deal with the mission.

Regarding my towing idea: it will work! I just managed to get a Towtruck hooked up to one of the Mavericks after it landed from minigun fire. Unfortunately I had two stars by then so it didn't last long... I will now try again.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (jnsg @ Mar 13 2008, 00:23)
QUOTE (QwertyAAA @ Mar 12 2008, 23:39)

I am personally trying to find a way to do this without mods or cheats of any kind. If you aren't adverse to such actions, that could work I guess. Although it seems like if you are going to go that far, you might as well mod a Maverick to be black yourself and forgo the whole deal with the mission.

Regarding my towing idea: it will work! I just managed to get a Towtruck hooked up to one of the Mavericks after it landed from minigun fire. Unfortunately I had two stars by then so it didn't last long... I will now try again.

Try the cheat now.
Then, try without it.
Take it all one step at a time.

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:39 AM

I did it!
Thanks to zmoonchild for the minigun tactic.

What I did was this:
Got a minigun (200 rounds from a single pickup is more than enough) and a Towtruck, then started the mission.
Ignored the rocket launcher when it was offered (just got back in my Towtruck and headed up the hill).
When I got to where the Mavericks were attacking, I lightly peppered one with the minigun until it "landed."
After waiting until the other Mavericks destroyed the Leviathan and the mission failed, I hooked up the Towtruck to the downed heli and towed it to the Doherty garage. Voila!

Some stuff I noted:
The minigun thing is odd. The heli spiraled like it was going down as they often do, but there was no smoke billowing from it. When it touched down, it spun on the ground for a while before settling down.
Its rotors kept moving except for while it was hooked to the Towtruck, but even then the sound effect was persistent.
The gunmen were constantly yelling in fright (as peds will do when you're strafing the ground in a copter) but remained standing on the rails. They ran off when I garaged the Maverick.
By only making the Maverick "land" (it never exploded) and letting the agents take out the Leviathan, I didn't earn a star the entire time, so towing the heli to San Fierro was easy.

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (jnsg @ Mar 12 2008, 23:39)
I did it!
Thanks to zmoonchild for the minigun tactic.

What I did was this:
Got a minigun (200 rounds from a single pickup is more than enough) and a Towtruck, then started the mission.
Ignored the rocket launcher when it was offered (just got back in my Towtruck and headed up the hill).
When I got to where the Mavericks were attacking, I lightly peppered one with the minigun until it "landed."
After waiting until the other Mavericks destroyed the Leviathan and the mission failed, I hooked up the Towtruck to the downed heli and towed it to the Doherty garage. Voila!

Some stuff I noted:
The minigun thing is odd. The heli spiraled like it was going down as they often do, but there was no smoke billowing from it. When it touched down, it spun on the ground for a while before settling down.
Its rotors kept moving except for while it was hooked to the Towtruck, but even then the sound effect was persistent.
The gunmen were constantly yelling in fright (as peds will do when you're strafing the ground in a copter) but remained standing on the rails. They ran off when I garaged the Maverick.
By only making the Maverick "land" (it never exploded) and letting the agents take out the Leviathan, I didn't earn a star the entire time, so towing the heli to San Fierro was easy.

Very good! icon14.gif
Were you able to enter the Maverick after you towed it to the garage? Was it flyable?
Can you upload a saved-game so I can see it?

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Mar 13 2008, 09:55)
Very good!  icon14.gif
Were you able to enter the Maverick after you towed it to the garage? Was it flyable?

Oh, yes I guess I should have mentioned it was indeed unlocked and flyable after I garaged it.

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Mar 13 2008, 09:55)
Can you upload a saved-game so I can see it?

How about some screenshots?
I had used my camera to snap a shot of the Maverick on the ground, but didn't realize I had "Store Gallery Photos" turned off...
But after I got into the Towtruck I resorted to normal screen captures, so:

Here I am towing it back through El Castillo Del Diablo.
user posted image

And across the Garver Bridge.
user posted image

Backed it into the Doherty garage, still complete with AK47-wielding agents.
user posted image

Close and open the door, and it's mine. The agents don't want it anymore either.
user posted image

It works!
user posted image

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

Omg. Is that black Maverick special proofed?

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (MC_320 @ Mar 13 2008, 21:19)

Not that I can tell, although I haven't tested it myself. According to zmoonchild's topic about this (which he linked to earlier) the only thing special about it is the color.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

Congrats man.
You sure black mavs never spawn?

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (QwertyAAA @ Mar 13 2008, 22:47)
Congrats man.
You sure black mavs never spawn?

I've never seen one spawn, and taking a Maverick through a Pay-n-Spray several times never produced pure black. Also, if I am interpreting carcols.dat correctly black is not an option on the Maverick.

How Do I Shot Web?
  • How Do I Shot Web?

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (jnsg @ Mar 13 2008, 22:20)

Not that I can tell, although I haven't tested it myself. According to zmoonchild's topic about this (which he linked to earlier) the only thing special about it is the color.

why dont you test it out then? if it gets destroyeed then reload the game

hooney
  • hooney

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:52 AM

Many props, jnsg, on your accomplishment.

That's just great. Another uniquely colored vehicle that I must have...

Oh, well. Time to start over again.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

Well done mate. I tried it, and it worked. I managed to do it with a two-star wanted level (I somehow got it by shooting them down) and managed to tow it to the garage. Nonetheless, you deserve the props for teaching me. smile.gif

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:00 PM Edited by jnsg, 14 March 2008 - 09:03 PM.

QUOTE (How Do I Shot Web? @ Mar 14 2008, 03:54)
QUOTE (jnsg @ Mar 13 2008, 22:20)

why dont you test it out then? if it gets destroyeed then reload the game

Fair enough. I tried the gamut, and all evidence points to an utter lack of proofs.

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Mar 14 2008, 08:43)
I managed to do it with a two-star wanted level (I somehow got it by shooting them down) and managed to tow it to the garage.

Wait, are you saying you towed an exploded Maverick? Or just that you destroyed one in the process of "landing" one?

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:57 AM Edited by zmoonchild, 15 March 2008 - 07:32 PM.

Okay, I used jnsgís Towtruck technique along with my minigun technique and I was able to obtain a Black Maverick as well.

I was also able to pass the mission and still retain the Black Maverick:
user posted image

I did it without cheats and without mods , and you do not have to fail the mission in order to obtain it.
user posted image

I will try to upload a video of one of my previous attempts, where I was able to obtain the Maverick, but it became unattached on the way back to San Fierro and exploded.

Hereís a saved-game for PC for anyone who wants to see the Black Maverick for themselves. The game is saved at the Doherty Garage, and the Maverick in stored inside the garage. Thereís also a Towtruck stored with it so you can pull the Maverick out and fly it.
This is a v1.0 game :
http://gtasnp.com/download/8339

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

I've never really bothered planes and heli's because they are annoying and hard to control. But the weather in the Desert is soo annoying when it's dark that you can't see $hit like on the Black Project mission.

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:08 PM Edited by zmoonchild, 15 March 2008 - 11:38 PM.

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Mar 15 2008, 07:39)
I've never really bothered planes and heli's because they are annoying and hard to control.

Flying is an acquired taste in San Andres, I used to have a hard time with it as well.

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Mar 15 2008, 07:39)
But the weather in the Desert is soo annoying when it's dark that you can't see $hit like on the Black Project mission.

Hereís my video showing a couple different failed attempts to get the Black Maverick. You'll notice that it was daytime; Interdiction is one of those Desert Missions that doesn't have to be completed at night.

Listen carefully, and youíll hear the Federal Agents screaming, in addition to that, the Maverickís rotor is not moving while it's being towed, but you can still here the engine going. Itís almost as if thereís another helicopter out of sight, but there isnít, the engine sound is coming from the Maverick thatís being towed.

Thanks, jnsg, for reviving this topic. Your Towtruck idea is so simple, and brilliant. icon14.gif

jnsg
  • jnsg

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Mar 15 2008, 18:08)
Thanks, jnsg, for reviving this topic. Your Towtruck idea is so simple, and brilliant. icon14.gif

And thank you for the minigun idea. I never would have thought to try that, and I'm still not really sure why it works.

Also thanks for proving that it can be obtained without failing the mission. I suspected it would be possible, but didn't want to risk blowing other copters up around my target Maverick to save the Leviathan. Did you tow the Maverick to retrieve the cargo? Or did you leave it in the garage first?

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

• Members

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

So cool, people. Congrats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users