Official F1 Topic

2,876 replies to this topic
dingodile_r89
  • dingodile_r89

Supreme Overlord

• Members
  • India

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

Massa has denied it according to a Brazilian outlet, but time will tell.

Redketman
  • Redketman

Playa

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:40 PM Edited by Redketman, 21 December 2016 - 04:42 PM.

Bottas has nine podiums so I guess he'll get his first win next season (even if Hamilton might dominate over a whole season). Hopefully we'll not see another boring Hamilton-Kovalainen match. I don't really know what to expect from Bottas but on paper he should not be as good as Rosberg (but better than newcomers like Wehrlein or Ocon). 

dingodile_r89
  • dingodile_r89

Supreme Overlord

• Members
  • India

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:52 PM

Buemi and Lotterer deserve better than they got in F1. Lotterer is ruled out at this point with a Porsche WEC drive, but Buemi and Lucas di Grassi should be able to be put in the seat at Merc.

Wishful thinking, really.

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

I guess Bottas would be a temporary replacement for Rosberg until either Wehrlein or Ocon gain enough experience. He isn't that much of a great driver in my opinion, he seemed more promising during his first years.

I did a few sums. Bottas is averaging .3 seconds per lap faster than Massa. Massa averaged .45 slower than Shumacher. Lewis is around .1 faster than Nico. Lewis's pace isn't really a known thing but we will sure find out If Bottas goes to Merc. If Lewis is more than .15 faster than Bottas we can put him with the greats. Personally I expect those two to be a very even match I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Bottas world champion, he beat Riccardo _just_ in a junior formula so he's no muppet..

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Which assumes that Massa's pace is an absolute constant since his Ferrari days, and that the difference in pace depends on talent alone, and not on other circumstances, both of which are probably not true.

Nico
  • Nico

I don't know, I was really drunk at the time

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

Well, it looks like the very last of the "low cost" F1 teams is about to vanish.

http://www.skysports...ancial-collapse

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

It's sad, but to be honest, it's not surprising.  Unless you're an established name in motor racing it's hard to compete in F1... having said that, even established names find it hard to compete in F1.

And I can't really see it getting any better, in fact it may get worse, due to the bad decision to wholly go onto Sky Sports in the UK from next season, which means F1 is going to get a whole lot less attention in the UK than it used to, cause it's not Football and won't benefit from being on Sky; it'll go the way of other things that go to Sky to die.

Not that I'm saying the UK is the be all and end all of F1, but it's a very important key base for F1, and doing this means it's not going to get the attention it deserves.

Nico
  • Nico

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

F1 is moving to premium broadcasts pretty much everywhere. Here in Latin America, the F1 rights were previously owned by Fox Sports and later purchased by a Spanish corporation. Now, they have their own exclusive F1 channel (and you must pay for a premium package to access it, of course). In Spain the things are even worse; you have to acquire a complete package of services of a specific corporation (not the same as the right holders here) to get a sh*tty coverage with amateur, partial journalists.

At least here in Argentina the government somehow considers F1 as an "event of public interest" and they broadcast just the races on a low profile air channel (they "swap" the signals and put the exclusive F1 channel in place of the low profile one just during the race; sometimes they don't even let you see the podium).

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

Oh man, Ross Brawn is taking over Bernie Ecclestone's role of managing director of motorsport...

Already signalling to make the sport more pure and interesting. This sounds promising!

• Nico likes this

dingodile_r89
  • dingodile_r89

Supreme Overlord

• Members
  • India

Posted 4 weeks ago

So far, the Mercedes looks the best.

Nico
  • Nico

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yeah, no doubt. Even though I heard Mercedes' devinitive package will include those hideous shark fins shown by the other cars.

Mercedes-W08-EQ-Power-Presentaci%C3%B3n-

Mercedes-F1-W08-EQ-Power.jpg

The teasers released by Mercedes left me a bit worried with the look of those cyan lines (apparently they glow in the dark) but now that I see the whole thing I think it doesn't look very bad.

dingodile_r89
  • dingodile_r89

Supreme Overlord

• Members
  • India

Posted 3 weeks ago

Idgaf how the shark fins look, honestly, this is motorsport. Function over form, all day, everyday.

I wonder what will happen with the T wings...

f1-mercedes-amg-f1-w08-launch-2017-merce

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Brown Sugar, 3 weeks ago.

I've never liked the shark fins but you get used to the visual changes on the cars after a while, the T-Wings are also pretty ugly right now. I remember the thumb tip nose design in 2014 being ugly as f*ck but now I think they look ok. The only exception I would make for getting used to aesthetic changes is cockpit protection because f*ck that. I think the best looking car released so far is the Ferrari with those narrow sidepod air intakes, hopefully they've actually improved in terms of performance too. 

The Red Bull has just been released too, they seem to have the most 'clean' looking design for their car with the exception of the opening at the end of the nose which I'm assuming is some form of s-duct.

_94851563_redbull.png

Edit: The new Toro Rosso looks stunning

skysports-toro-rosso_3898604.jpg?2017022

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

The shark fins are a bit strange, but apart from that the new cars look really cool, and a lot more exciting than previous season cars which were underwhelming.

dingodile_r89
  • dingodile_r89

Supreme Overlord

• Members
  • India

Posted 2 weeks ago

Overtaking is going to be such a bitch, lel.

Chalk
  • Chalk

Quality never dies

• The Connection
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

The Toro Rosso looks to have the nicest livery. Looks stunning in some of the photos from the testing days. I'm also interested to see how the nose of the Red Bull goes as it clearly has an aero effect they are looking for.

In other news, seen a few people taking photos and drone shots of the track in Melbourne being set up. Not long now until it all begins again. What is everyone looking forward to?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm quite liking the McLaren this year, but then I'm a sucker for orange, although the Toro Roso is second.  But the Ferrari looks like it could be good competition this season.

Although I've only got two more years of getting at least half a seasons worth of Formula 1 a year, until Sky kill it 2019; so I hope we get a good couple of years in the meantime.

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hopefully Ferrari can actually deliver on their pre season pace this time, they looked quick last year in testing so I'm not getting my hope up just yet, Mclaren look like they've taken a step back since last year if anything though. Bet Alonso secretly wishes he went to Mercedes now.

Chalk
  • Chalk

Quality never dies

• The Connection
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Day 1 of the second week of testing went better for Williams and Red Bull. Its always hard to judge pace in testing without any clue of what fuel loads they are running etc, but the fact that Danny Ric said he seemed to feel he was getting more out of the car is a good sign. I would actually really love to see a bit more of a 4 way fight at the top between Red Bull, Williams, Ferrari and of course Mercedes. Having one team dominate the season without much competition (first Red Bull and then Mercs) can lead to boring races at the front and so you start to look at the fight for 3rd, 4th etc.

Can't believe we are only 2 weeks away until they get to Melbourne. Can't wait. I have that weekend off and am tempted to go. However I went last year and although I enjoyed it, its hard to pick a spot where you can see the entire race and get the idea of what else is happening on the other side of the track. For instance last year we saw the yellows/SC signs come out, and wasn't sure what had happened. Then as we were watching the replays on the big screens provided the race was red flagged. Wasn't until we saw the total replay that we realised why. Even the flag marshall shrugged his shoulders when it first come out.

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 2 weeks ago

John Surtees just died, what a legend he was. Only person to become world champion in formula one and on bikes, big respect for that.

• Tchuck, Crokey, MiamiViceCity and 1 other like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago

When you think of how many sportspeople make the jump to bikes and vice versa the fact he's the only duel world champion on two and four wheels in after 50+ years it takes a very special talent to accomplish that.

R.I.P John.
  • Brown Sugar likes this

Chalk
  • Chalk

Quality never dies

• The Connection
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Been an interesting testing phase. Ferrari seems to have the early pace edge over Mercedes. Hamilton himself admitted that he thinks Ferrari should start favourites this year. However Red Bull and Williams have had fairly solid times as well and could be more competitive than previous years.

Less than 2 weeks until we start finding out their true pace. Get excited.

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Rennen ist das Leben!

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 5 days ago

It's a couple of days before Melbourne, and even though testing times can be taken by a grain of salt, Ferrari looks to be in a better position than last year. Ferrari were very strong in the first couple of races, especially in Australia where Vettel's pace was on par with the Merc's, and robbed of a win due to the questionable strategy decisions that Ferrari consistently done through out the season, and dropped down the order after abandoning 2016 to focus on 2017. This year looks more optimistic than last year for them, I might be wrong, and they might do a 2016 again. Red Bull seems to be not as competitive as expected during testing, but they might surprise at Australia, or even do a 2016 where they got the better of Ferrari over the whole season. 

As a McLaren fan, I am disappointed by the lack of progress, especially Honda. The car overall looked pretty decent around corners at Barcelona, but the engine's lack of power and reliability is incredibly worrying for both parties. Also the relationship between McLaren, and Honda is sour at the moment with rumors that McLaren might return to using Merc engines, but I really don't trust Andrew Benson's reports all that much, as of now it stays as a rumor. McLaren currently are in that blank space that it would be questionable if they are going to be in World Championship form.

Mercedes is going to be a front runner as usual, but as I said before they might face challenge from Ferrari, or Red Bull, but I think that they are going to dominate these first couple of races. Also I think that Bottas will do a decent job, but I don't think he'll be a threat right away for Lewis. But I think that after getting used to the car, he'll be certainly a championship contender.

Top 5 Qualifying predictions for Australia:

1. Hamilton
  2. Raikkonen
  3. Bottas
  4. Vettel
  5. Ricciardo

Top 5 Race predictions for Australia:

1. Hamilton
  2. Bottas
  3. Vettel
  4. Raikkonen
  5. Verstappen

Natasha
  • Natasha

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Natz_83, 5 days ago.

Also nice to see Ricciardo getting his own Grandstand named after him. He's done amazing in his short time in fairness. Guy deserves it, plus I'm hoping he can put Red Bull on the podium and kill this Mercedez one horse race finally. It's becoming more and more repetative.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 22 hours ago Edited by ΣΓ, 22 hours ago.

Is there any way to watch F1 online (the official site is confusing and it doesn't seem to offer that)? I'd prefer to watch the original broadcast instead of whatever dubbed sh*t is on TV.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members

Posted 15 hours ago

It seems Red Bull are far behind, but they do have an entirely new Renault engine, so there'll be a lot of room for development of the car. The new cars are insane in general. I saw a first person clip of Hamilton's hotlap, and it is pretty crazy. It seemed that Stroll is unable to handle the new g forces.

Chalk
  • Chalk

Quality never dies

• The Connection
  • Australia

Posted 5 hours ago

Maybe that's what happens when your daddy funds your F1 drive.

Shame to see Ricciardo put it in the wall in Q3. He looked to be about 5th for overall pace, and with a bit of luck or issues for the guys ahead maybe an outside chance of a podium. Now he has to fight to earn some decent points. Verstappen hasn't been as quick compared to RIC in the sessions so far so will be interesting to see if/how he can challenge the front runners. The 4 at the top with Mercs and Ferrari have all seemed to have good pace at times and could be an interesting 4 way race if nothing happens at the start that ruins their race.

Red Bull do seem to be a step or two behind Ferrari and Mercedes, but with unlimited engine development it will be interesting to see how quickly they can close the gap. There is also rumours of a lot of new parts that have been in testing which might make an appearance in a few events time.

Overall the cars look amazing and FAST. They look beefier, meaner and just what you want in an F1 car. The liveries are also all great, with the only exception being Force India. Seeing them out of the orange and into pink is just weird but I guess if someone is willing to drop the $$$$$$......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users