San Andreas Drifting Tips

29 replies to this topic
Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:18 AM

Hey there,

I'm just getting into driftin on San Andreas. I just want to know a few pointers, it would be really helpful. I want to find out some of the following;

- The best cars to use?
- The best drifting places?
- Cheatcodes to maybe put in play?

And just anything else you would like to add. It would be of great help and a great start to my drifting career (Hopefully colgate.gif )

Cheers,
Jarek sigh.gif

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:22 AM

there is a nice topic already in SA about drifting. I like to drift anywhere the car will get sideways lol, but I mostly like SF and LS in the backroads. People Like to drift anything that gets sideways mostly elegy, infernus, phoenix and I myself like the blade. It just really depends what work for you, what works for you might not work for me, you have to try different combinations and methods, you will get comfortable with your own style for certain cars, and some cars you will swing more than others just expiriment and like I always do use your imagination.

Great Saiyaman
  • Great Saiyaman

Coming Soon...

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:24 AM

the only cheat to help you would be reduced traffic, also if your on PC change the cars handling line helps alot

tw!tch
  • tw!tch

●̪

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:35 AM

You wernt able to post this in This Very Recent Topic? dozingoff.gif

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

As sheek said, you need to jack some cars and start drifting to find the cars that you like to drift with. Mainly it is the Elegy, Infernus, Phoenix, Buffalo, Clover and Windsor, because these are all rear wheel cars. It isnt possible to drift with a front wheeled car (with the exception of sheek with his jester) and is rather hard, but not impossible, to drift with a 4WD car. This is because the handling is too great and will not slide long enough to call it a drift (they are called powerslides).

As Saiyaman said the only useful cheat to use is the Reduced traffic which helps a lot with newbs to drifting, i used to use it but now i do it straight, because it is more challenging. You may want to put in the cheat for "All cars have nitrous", if that is they way you want to drift, but i dont paticularly like unless im in an Infernus.

As for the best places, you can look in the topic as posted above for more of them but the places i like (as said a million times) are pal Creek, on and off ramps all around the state (but mainly the South SF one) Bone County, Missionary Hill, and also most twisty roads anywhere you can find (an example being the road up to "The Big Ear".)

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

Missionary hill is the best but don't put in that sissy cheat, go hard if you can get to the bottom and on to the highway without smacking anything or falling into the pond I'll give give you a cookie lol but seriously that will help sharpen your skills, the reason I said without sissy cheats is because that cheat trains you into a routine and gets you used to the lines and turns you practice, but with the cars on it's more random and you can't take every turn the same and in my opinion thats what builds your skills. Then you'll grab whatever you want and swing...like me j/k but you too can do SCVD's (special condition voodoo drifts) SCCD's (cheetah drifts) SCSVD's (slamvan) and CH33TA's favorite SCSD's (supra drifts), hell if you got the skill you can make the SCBMXD lol. If DoubleOGjohnson can make up crazy names in his game why can't I?

cjspeed
  • cjspeed

Dead and Divine

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

the only reason i drift with reduced traffic is because i hate havin a broken car, and when its at night it looks more realistic.

i might go try that missionary hill now, in my infernus rah.gif . i want a cookie tounge2.gif

so... now to find missionary hill blush.gif

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (cjspeed @ Feb 29 2008, 10:33)
so... now to find missionary hill blush.gif

Lmao, start by looking directly south of SF....

@Sheek I understand the other ones, but why do you need 'special conditions' for drifting a Cheetah, they are great for drifting, and for the last few trips to SA, i have been drifting a bit in Cheetahs (not in special conditions).

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

@ CH33TA I rarely use the cheetah in the rain specifically to show out and for doing doughnuts in tight spots. Mostly it's used for sandstorm drifting in the desert it gives me a different type of challenge because I can't see the traffic until I'm very close to smacking them and I can't see upcoming curves either. It's not really a challenge dealing with the handling of the car (the cheetah is a sweet swinger) but more of a challenge dealing with handling and not being able to prepare for whats ahead. If you read my reply in the other topic closely I try to drift old schools in Los Santos, imports in San Fierro, and exotics in Las Venturas but it doesn't rain often in the desert instead there's sandstorms.

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (tw!tch @ Feb 28 2008, 04:35)
You wernt able to post this in This Very Recent Topic? dozingoff.gif

No I wasnt. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (sheek... @ Mar 1 2008, 06:25)
@ CH33TA I rarely use the cheetah in the rain specifically to show out and for doing doughnuts in tight spots. Mostly it's used for sandstorm drifting in the desert it gives me a different type of challenge because I can't see the traffic until I'm very close to smacking them and I can't see upcoming curves either. It's not really a challenge dealing with the handling of the car (the cheetah is a sweet swinger) but more of a challenge dealing with handling and not being able to prepare for whats ahead. If you read my reply in the other topic closely I try to drift old schools in Los Santos, imports in San Fierro, and exotics in Las Venturas but it doesn't rain often in the desert instead there's sandstorms.

Sweet as icon14.gif
I was just wondering cos it doesnt need specific conditions, like the jester. So do you like to drift all kinds of exotic cars in the desert during sandstorms, or is it just the Cheetah?

streetfire
  • streetfire

Wheelman

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:12 AM

Phoenix is good if you can control it. Lots of torque, which is what drifting needs.

LITE992*
  • LITE992*

Corporal Vance of the V-Rock Army

• Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:02 AM

4WD is good with drifting cuz you have more control over the car. While RWD lets you drift alot easier.

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

I like to drift alot of exotics but some more than others, like the banshee a little different from the banshee's in previous GTA's it's more agile, more precise like a mild cheetah so I swing those at a faster speed than others. The infernus has a little more torque and less on the handling so it gives the beginner a wild feel but to the seasoned drifter it's a gold mine it to me you can dance at a lower speed so I can concentrate on being 'flashy' and swing the rear a little more, it puts me in the mind of swinging the hotring racer. I used to drift the super GT in the sandstorm but I found the cheetah to be more challenging now it's mostly for rain it has a little more oversteer and I got a little bored with it after the city slicking mission. The other exotics to me are only for speed and looks excluding the windsor it can dance pretty good.

streetfire
  • streetfire

Wheelman

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

Don't forget the Phoenix. Like a Windsor, but faster.

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (streetfire @ Mar 2 2008, 04:08)
Don't forget the Phoenix. Like a Windsor, but faster.

Of course I couldn't forget my phoenix but I was only talking about Las Venturas and exotic cars. I usually drive American Muscle cars and Old schools in Los Santos

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

I dont think it really matters which cars i drive where, i just take my favourite cars to my favourite drift spots and start drifting, maybe make a few movies.

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (!!GameCH33TA!! @ Mar 3 2008, 03:35)
I dont think it really matters which cars i drive where, i just take my favourite cars to my favourite drift spots and start drifting, maybe make a few movies.

man I can't wait until I can make good movies lol, how do you get all your cars around everytime I want to take all my cars to a certain spot (gta3) I would rig them with a car bomb so I can gather them up in one spot without them disappearing, but I have seen members on the forum carry them on the packer but when I try it they always slide off the only time it works is on that mission Cop Wheels or I'm probably missing something.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

I think that's a mod mate.

If you rig them with explosives, does it stop them "unspawning"?

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:41 PM Edited by sheek..., 04 March 2008 - 05:43 PM.

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Mar 4 2008, 10:51)
I think that's a mod mate.

If you rig them with explosives, does it stop them "unspawning"?

Are you talking about keeping the cars on the packer is a mod or keeping your car from vanishing on GTA3 is a mod? becuase I've never played any GTA's on PC now cars staying on the packer I can't say, I've never tried to car bomb trick on any other GTA because I never had to but try it on GTA3 it should work, its like the Rhino cheat on GTA3 you can change islands and come back and it will still be there but unlike the Rhino cheat once you hit the detonator its gone no reminance of the car left on the street.

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:24 AM

Yea, keeping the cars on a packer is a mod.

I have never tried this 'rigging a car with exlosives to stop it from despawning' trick. have you tried it in SA?

@Sheek I just always remember the spawn spots of my favourite cars eg.
Infernus- Someones yard in Paradiso (usually locked so i push it to nearest safehouse, down the road)
Elegy-Wang Cars
Phoenix- safehouse behind Madd doggs crib (stole it during Home in the Hills)

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

No, I've never tried the car bomb trick in SA when I get back to playing SA I will try it though. What was your method of stealing the Phoenix? Once or twice I got lucky and shot him out but most of the time I have to actually blow it up and push it all the way to Dillimore, now I just take the one that you get to drive in the San Fierro Hills race plus it's not everyday I get to do the home in the hills mission, I've never seen the infernus spawn either but I know its one around because there is always one on the streets and usually thats a sign that a spawn is around hiding.

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (sheek... @ Mar 6 2008, 05:46)
What was your method of stealing the Phoenix?

I've never seen the infernus spawn either but I know its one around because there is always one on the streets and usually thats a sign that a spawn is around hiding.

I see the Infernus driving around a lot in SF, it is parked in Paradiso.

My method is to tail him until he crashes (he always does, at some point) block him in and then shoot him. Its real easy, but as you say, you can just enter the SF hills race anytime.

streetfire
  • streetfire

Wheelman

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

If you have to... just edit cargrp.dat, replace all lines with the car of your choice. Save in garage. Then revert back to old cargrp.dat.

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (streetfire @ Mar 6 2008, 02:40)
If you have to... just edit cargrp.dat, replace all lines with the car of your choice. Save in garage. Then revert back to old cargrp.dat.

You are talking about the PC version we are on PS2 but that sounds sweet so if I wanted to I could put euros in this cargrp.dat and it will be nothing but euros or whatever variety of cars I desire?

streetfire
  • streetfire

Wheelman

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:24 AM

Yep.

On the other hand, you can do this:

CODE
clover, peren, manana, moonbeam, previon, rumpo, glendale, oceanic, hermes, virgo, greenwoo, buccanee, willard, remingtn, hustler, intruder, broadway, tornado, primo, tampa, tahoma, savanna # Cheat1 (sh*t cars)
buffalo, infernus, cheetah, banshee, hotknife, turismo, zr350, comet, supergt, bullet, uranus, jester, sultan, elegy, flash, euros, club, phoenix, cadrona, bravura, blade, # Cheat2 (fast cars)
pcj600, fcr900, bf400 # Cheat3 (ninja)
hotknife, tug, mrwhoop, pizzaboy, hotdog, bfinject, caddy, quad, bandito, kart, mower  # Cheat4 (funhouse)

These lines control the 'cheat' vehicles - what you find when you type 'EVERYONEISPOOR' for example. Just modify the second line (labelled #Cheat2 (fast cars) so the only vehicle there is 'euros'. Now whenever you use the cheat, only the Euros appears.

sheek...
  • sheek...

-Living GTA Everyday-

• Members

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (streetfire @ Mar 7 2008, 00:24)
Yep.

On the other hand, you can do this:

CODE
clover, peren, manana, moonbeam, previon, rumpo, glendale, oceanic, hermes, virgo, greenwoo, buccanee, willard, remingtn, hustler, intruder, broadway, tornado, primo, tampa, tahoma, savanna # Cheat1 (sh*t cars)
buffalo, infernus, cheetah, banshee, hotknife, turismo, zr350, comet, supergt, bullet, uranus, jester, sultan, elegy, flash, euros, club, phoenix, cadrona, bravura, blade, # Cheat2 (fast cars)
pcj600, fcr900, bf400 # Cheat3 (ninja)
hotknife, tug, mrwhoop, pizzaboy, hotdog, bfinject, caddy, quad, bandito, kart, mower # Cheat4 (funhouse)

These lines control the 'cheat' vehicles - what you find when you type 'EVERYONEISPOOR' for example. Just modify the second line (labelled #Cheat2 (fast cars) so the only vehicle there is 'euros'. Now whenever you use the cheat, only the Euros appears.

So what that means is that I just type in what cars I want to spawn then label it with a Cheat# then what I just type in the cheat # or the (name in the parinthesis) this sounds pretty nifty Can you do this with a AR-MAX, codebreaker, or gameshark or something similar to this.

streetfire
  • streetfire

Wheelman

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

Listen for a sec.

Putting a # on any line in the GTASA config files will make the game ignore it.

They did it so you can add comments.

That is why there is a # before each label.

The game reads the file according to what cars are on which lines, not the labels. As far as GTASA is concerned, there are no labels, because of the # blocking them off.

Trainers will work with this mod, what trainers do is hack the gta_sa.exe file while it's running. This mod is already built in to the game, you just gotta know how to do it.

pillowzaresoft
  • pillowzaresoft

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

umm on how to drift i mean like how do u drift like wat buttons do u press on ps2??

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

Ah, i remember this topic. Good memories.

Ok, here is a basic guide on how to drift:
Make sure you are in a rear wheeled car (eg. Elegy, Phoenix, Tampa, Windsor) and take it to a point in which you want to drift.
Accelerate (press X) towards the corner, aim away from the direction you want to turn(eg. Aim right if you are going to go around a left hand turn), tap R1 (handbrake) and release X to lose traction in the rear wheels and get it sliding. Then hold the accelerator (X) as you snap it back towards the corner (turn hard left). (This is called a Scandinavian flick, and is used most commonly by rookies. It is a great way to learn how to begin to drift and how to control it.)
Now, that you are sliding, countersteer (turn right again) to balance out the weight of the car and continue drifting, otherwise you run the risk of spinning out. Continue holding X throughout this whole process. After you have control of the drift, you can stop turning right and let it drift through the exit of the corner.

Please, do not be sad, or angry at yourself if you do not get it the first ten times, all of this happens within 5-6 seconds so you have to learn the procedure, memorize it and perfect it, so of course it is going to take a lot of tries.
I suggest putting it the cheat "Reduced Traffic" because cars that appear around the corner can be extremely annoying and if you hit a lot of them, your car will soon start to smoke and you'll have to find another good drifting car, which can sometimes be hard to do.

Also, all different cars handle in their own ways so you have to find which ones you like, enjoy drifting with and handle the best with your unique style of drifting.

I hope you are able to understand this and can get drifting.
Definitely come back if you have any questions. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users