Photo

BC's 98' Mirage LS

496 replies to this topic
BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

Well, just yesterday I picked up my newest ride, a 1998 Mirage LS Sedan.

Info about the car:
- Five-speed transmission
- 105k miles
- Black exterior
- Tan interior
- Body damage to front end and rear RH door
- Bought for $900

Anyhow, the plan is to repair the car so it can have the looks of a stock Mirage, and over time when the paycheck arrives I will piece-by-piece work on an EVO V conversion. I plan on starting with the trunk and moving on from there. My father is an auto-technician so I have complete access to pretty much anything. This is also my daily-driver now.

So to start it off, here are the pictures before any work:

February 20, 2008 -Just received car last night, hood was removed before transport. Car runs great at the moment. Will spend the day in the shop.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Whenever work is done, I will be sure to post an update. So please leave some advice or comments, thanks!

P.S. I am posting an update tomorrow morning when the sun is up, I did a LOT of body work today.

-BC

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

What are you "converting" it to, or are you just generally fixing the car?

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

I plan to convert into a Lancer EVO 5

user posted image

That is, once I am all done with current body work and earn enough for the kit. It will set be back about a grand.

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:30 AM

Honestly, that is my favorite style Evo. The bumper had me facinated the first time I played Gran Turismo 3. Sucks you can't have the AWD but thats the way it goes. Anyways, whay color are you going for? (sidenote: stay away from white. Looks nice, but only when it is clean. I know, my car is white lol)

Good luck with the rest of the project. I hope I can get to see it when you finish.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

I'm probably going to stick with black for now. And actually you can have AWD, but it is really not quite worth it for the time being (you have to rip it from an AWD Talon or Eclipse and fabricate suspension support, etc.) But yeah, I will have a new update tomorrow (or rather this morning since its almost 1 AM)

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

Yeah...I can make my Grand Prix AWD too. Making your car AWD just not a realistic, let alone practical, option for a normal eighteen year old (well almost 18 if your profile is correct).

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'll be watching this. Good luck icon14.gif

anus
  • anus

iHoodz Prez

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

lol, good luck BC. will be an exciting project.

but, how are you going to use it as a daily driver when you're going to be fixing it up?

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

I work fast biggrin.gif I'm on school holiday for the week, so I am getting all of the framework done now. The weekends or even some weekdays will be the days I modify. However, all I will do is check to see the fitment on things to get they ready for paint, no way am I gonna drive my car around with primered parts!

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:34 AM

Erm. forgive the double post, for I have a big update!

The frame was pulled on the rack last night and new headlights, corner lamps, hood, and bumper (new bumper cover not on yet, nor is the grill) were installed.

February 21, 2008

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:57 AM Edited by BCspeed34, 03 March 2008 - 02:26 AM.

Triple post? Wow turn.gif Anyhow, got my short ram air intake installed this evening, sounds a bit better now. Still have yet to take it for a drive with the new intake.

user posted image

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

Well...with that airbox out of the way, get a "go fast" mod to use up that spare space. But please, what ever you do, stay away from "NOS". I am gettin sick of the Need for Speed fans thinking thy are special because they can make their motor explode.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:50 AM

NOS?! That is so 4 years ago. The only thing else that I am going to do to the engine is to paint the valve cover. It'll look nice under the conversion hood. I may also buy some new headers, but thats not a priority. I am probably gonna pick up an EVO 8 muffler tomorrow, my muffler has some serious problems.

Besides that, the next items coming up are the beginnings of my EVO conversion, headlights and a new hood.

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:58 AM

What about the rear wing, rear bumper, an side skirts? On top of that, think you will be getting a short throw shifter? I personally, hate huge ass shifter sticks with a long throw.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:58 AM

This is looking really cool, hope you keep posting updates till its done icon14.gif

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Mar 2 2008, 21:58)
What about the rear wing, rear bumper, an side skirts? On top of that, think you will be getting a short throw shifter? I personally, hate huge ass shifter sticks with a long throw.

Yeah all those are to come. I don't really have a steady income so I have to take things slowly. I am buying lights on wednesday and saving up for the hood after that. So far I have put about 550 into the car counting licensing and whatnot. As for the shifter, I'm good with the stock for now, I personally haven't tried a short one before.

And thanks OnePiece, whenever I do work I'll have an update shortly after.

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (BCspeed34 @ Mar 3 2008, 02:32)
QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Mar 2 2008, 21:58)

Yeah all those are to come. I don't really have a steady income so I have to take things slowly. I am buying lights on wednesday and saving up for the hood after that. So far I have put about 550 into the car counting licensing and whatnot. As for the shifter, I'm good with the stock for now, I personally haven't tried a short one before.

And thanks OnePiece, whenever I do work I'll have an update shortly after.

At least you have your perspectives about you. I hate watching kids getting handed all the sh*t they ever wanted in their lives with no effort. If you dont mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Hell, you are a few months younger than my sister, so school is probably one of them.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

I work part-time at my father's autobody shop, so I have full access to tools, lifts and whatnot. I also have really flexible times to work, and I just get the easy (yet cheap) work. Doesn't pay a ton, but it bought me the car, so I'm happy with that. I'm still in highschool too, so mostly just weekend or wednesday work. Things have been pretty slow latley though.

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

Damn...sounds like me in high school. Getting the sh*t/easy jobs sucks but you at least you get the experience. BTW...drummed up your myspace page in search of more information on your stage in schooling...I am that bored. Either way, thumbs up for the Knights of Cydonia but the "Spider-Man 4" pic kinda freaks me out.

Rocketkiller
  • Rocketkiller

E36 FTW

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

If anything, that air filter will lower your power on a decently warm day. I don't know exactly how the stock system works, but if it's anything like all the stock systems I've seen, it gets cold air from around the bumper instead of hot air from around the engine. I would just use the stock system with a good filter or get some tubing and run the filter out of the engine bay.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

I'm actually going to create an air box around it later on, then it can pick up air from the little intake on the EVO hood.

lurchseesu420
  • lurchseesu420

I gotta get outta here!

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

A little naca duct might solve the problem.

Rocketkiller
  • Rocketkiller

E36 FTW

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (BCspeed34 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:38)
I'm actually going to create an air box around it later on, then it can pick up air from the little intake on the EVO hood.

That would be pretty damn cool, but you'll really have to watch out for rain. tounge.gif

lurchseesu420
  • lurchseesu420

I gotta get outta here!

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:32 PM Edited by lurchseesu420, 03 March 2008 - 09:00 PM.

QUOTE (Rocketkiller @ Mar 3 2008, 16:07)
QUOTE (BCspeed34 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:38)

That would be pretty damn cool, but you'll really have to watch out for rain. tounge.gif

True. I can't leave my bug uncovered because of its scoop or else rainwater will get in.

user posted image

Rocketkiller
  • Rocketkiller

E36 FTW

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

Actually, you could help with the water issue with an Outerwears pre-filter, or you could try finding some of the fabric they use and covering the vent with that. It won't affect air flow at all but it's really water resistant. I have one of their pre-filters on my ATV and it's great.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

Yeah I will def. need to get one of those since I live in Seattle tounge.gif

-slash
  • -slash

thug life

• The Connection

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

Good on you and all for having a go, but why pretend it's something it isn't? ie Evo.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (-slash @ Mar 5 2008, 06:18)
Good on you and all for having a go, but why pretend it's something it isn't? ie Evo.

The only negative point to this topic so far, but I have to agree. I hate seeing SRT- design neons, or WRX's with STI wings, etc...

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

Yes, I completley understand what you are saying, and I realize it is rather pathetic...for the time being. It may not be an EVO, but it will the closest thing to an EVO that I can afford, let along have in the US (for this bodystyle). Eventually when I have a steady job (and still living at home) I will put more money into buying a 4g63t and rip an AWD tranny from an Eclipse GSX.

-slash
  • -slash

thug life

• The Connection

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

I wouldn't say it's pathetic, that might be too harsh.

I mean personally my approach to car modification is go before show anyway so I'm not going to agree with all the body mods anyway, (an attitude you kinda need to have when you knock your bodykit off on ripple strips all the time anyway haha) and if it were me I'd be saving up and dropping in the turbo engine and drivetrain as my first priority.

A local guy converted a Lancer GLI (basically it's like your mirage, but it has the square front of the Evo 5 already) into Evo spec body. Wide guards and all. Cost a lot of money that could go towards that turbo transplant.

Yeah, and even then I'd keep the Mirage styling and just add my own touches to the body. Just a neat understated bodykit. And that way, when you get lined up by a V8, they can't say, "Pffft well it's an Evo, they're fast n sh*t."

Instead it's, "holy sh*t I just got smoked by a Mirage."

But as I say, everyone has their own way of playing this whole car game, and I look forward to seeing how this progresses. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users