» «
Photo

[REL | BETA] PS2 .MDL Importer

140 replies to this topic
AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:57 PM Edited by AK-73, 18 February 2008 - 03:40 PM.

PS2 .MDL Importer

This tool basically allows at this point the import of the PS2 (and PS2 only)
LCS and VCS .MDL files into GMax (and 3D Studio Max 4+). Both LCS and VCS
skinned actors are supported (except for cutscene actors), though VCS actor import may
benefit from a bit of refinement.

There is an issue with face orientation that I currently don't know how to
solve yet. As a consequence, as this point you'll have to correct that by
hand for now.

IMPORTANT!
This importer is deliberately open source. Anybody can do about anything with
it without asking me for explicit permission. Indeed if you have any bug fixes
or enhanced features, please send them to me and I'll include them in the
official version. Just in case anyone wants to publish a spin-off version,
deviating from the official .MDL importer, please make sure you ask for
permission first - I just wouldn't want many different versions of the script
floating around, causing unnecessary confusion.

Other than that you may consider this an open source project to which anyone
may contribute, if they want to.

ALSO IMPORTANT!
I do not encourage anyone distributing LCS/VCS models converted with this
script on the the internet freely and on a massive scale. Anyone who does
so is doing it *at their own risk*. Talking about risk, I do not accept
responsibility for anything that may result from installation/usage of this
script. Use at your own risk.

While gtagarage is undergoing an overhaul the lastest version of the script can be downloaded here:
http://lcs.cat3illa....rter_latest.zip.

Please do not ask me for a PSP version of the script. I don't have a PSP, never will, and I am not interested. However, if anyone wants to add PSP support on top of it, you're welcome to do so. Just make sure nobody is else is working on that already.

Seems to be about all for now... if you got any questions about the tool, this is the place to ask. smile.gif

Alex
  • XEPOMAHT007 likes this

_CP_
  • _CP_

Group: Vice City Stories team

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

WOW! It's a very good program! I download this.

H13N.H3N
  • H13N.H3N

Lands with a *Clunk*

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Feb 18 2008, 09:57)

Seems to be about all for now... if you got any questions about the tool, this is the place to ask. smile.gif

Alex

ye well... will sound like a stupid question, but.. i can't find any .MDL file in GTA LCS, and... neither one inside VCS, i'm missing some other extractor?

Shadow-Link
  • Shadow-Link

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:45 AM Edited by Prince-Link, 22 February 2008 - 11:49 AM.

use imgtool made by dustcrazy.. look into the misc ps2 lcs file format thingy thread..

EDIT:
http://dustin.gzwn.net/YAIE.rar You can open img files with it. The other img files are encrypted and not cracked yet..

H13N.H3N
  • H13N.H3N

Lands with a *Clunk*

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Prince-Link @ Feb 22 2008, 06:45)
use imgtool made by dustcrazy.. look into the misc ps2 lcs file format thingy thread..

EDIT:
http://dustin.gzwn.net/YAIE.rar You can open img files with it. The other img files are encrypted and not cracked yet..

thnks pal, as G-IMG from ReSpawn didn't work i guess i needed a "special" img extractor after all, this will be of use for a while, thnks again.

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (H13N.H3N @ Feb 22 2008, 12:16)

EDIT:

thnks pal, as G-IMG from ReSpawn didn't work i guess i needed a "special" img extractor after all, this will be of use for a while, thnks again.

The stories games use a new version of the IMG format, most likely because of the new engine. Also, the new archives don't use .dir (directory) files. Dustin's program can open the new IMG files and it creates a .dir file for the IMG files.

johnny404
  • johnny404

(ノゝ∀・)~キラ☆

• Members

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Feb 22 2008, 23:37)

EDIT:

The stories games use a new version of the IMG format, most likely because of the new engine. Also, the new archives don't use .dir (directory) files. Dustin's program can open the new IMG files and it creates a .dir file for the IMG files.

Even compressed ones?

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Jony92 @ Feb 23 2008, 21:05)
QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Feb 22 2008, 23:37)

EDIT:

Even compressed ones?

Compressed "IMG" files (.LVZ) are a another story. There is an uncompresser that was made by Aru but the end file is just one big CHK file.
http://gzwn.net/Docu...s-unimg-bin.zip

H13N.H3N
  • H13N.H3N

Lands with a *Clunk*

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

worked very fine, i can't ask for more, i'm very pleased, i extracted ALL cars from VCS and LCS now the forelly car and the sprit, the new borgnine plus some other cool cars can be on my game (i'm not planning to distribute them as a mod right now, cause i'm a little tired of conversions) freaking cool i must say, other thing, apparently G-IMG does it work, don't really know if after use YAIE created a DIR file, but it worked, fool of me that i didn't extracted the IMG file from the disc at first =p. thanks for this tool pal, i'm in doubt with you

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:18 AM

Doesn't work on peds for some reason..
3dsmax freezes

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (catzilla @ Mar 2 2008, 07:18)
3dsmax freezes

Works for me. Which version are you using?

johnny404
  • johnny404

(ノゝ∀・)~キラ☆

• Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (simkas @ Mar 2 2008, 13:43)
3dsmax freezes

I just get a weird cube in the 3dsmax, I'm using 7.0 and, What config do I need to get the models right? (Anti-strips and all that crap in MDL importer)

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Jony92 @ Mar 2 2008, 15:22)
QUOTE (simkas @ Mar 2 2008, 13:43)
3dsmax freezes

I just get a weird cube in the 3dsmax, I'm using 7.0 and, What config do I need to get the models right? (Anti-strips and all that crap in MDL importer)

Might be the max version you're using. I'm using 8 and it works.

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:42 AM Edited by catzilla, 03 March 2008 - 02:57 AM.

Max: 9
Script: the latest version from he 1st post

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

In theory it should work for all versions. I haven't tested the importer for all files, of course. Also, there's always some chance of an updated version introducing a bug into the import of .mdls that used to work.

Anyways... if you got some .MDL that doesn't import properly, send me and I'll fix it.

Alex

Mythbuster
  • Mythbuster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:15 PM Edited by Mythbuster, 21 March 2008 - 08:24 PM.

Well, I spend 3 days finding out why the import thing wasn't working, then I read again and saw it was for ps2 only, lol. Now I've got the ps2 files, but the only model I can import so far is model411.mdl.(which is a petrolpump, and I just wanna have some cars xD) With the other files it just says "Clump/Atomics not recognized... exiting." in the bottom left.

I am using 3DsMax 7.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? (I just tried some models, and the only one so far is model411.mdl, so I am not sure how many and which others will actually work.)

Mythbuster

EDIT: And yeah, I did read a few topics about all this, but not everything, so I could've missed something about this, just so you know before you start flaming me, lol...

EDIT2: I just found out the VCS files import just fine..., just the LCS models don't notify.gif Anyway, because the VCS files work, I started converting the Polaris V8(model is model178.mdl by the way)....

[MenaceMovies]
  • [MenaceMovies]

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

Nice useful tool dude, good work! I hope this will boost the popularity of PS2 GTA modding.

//MenaceMovies

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

hmm... lcs import has been working for me. Perhaps you are having a problem with actor models only? mdls 1-93 (circa)?

I'll have to look into it.

Alex

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

I'm not fully sure if this is a problem with the script, but when I imported a ped from VCS, then tried to export it as a dff, I got this error:
user posted image
Is there a way to get rid of that or do I have to re-rig the model?

GTAfanattic
  • GTAfanattic

SA:LC Mod-Lead (200X - 2008)

• Members

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (simkas @ Apr 4 2008, 17:52)

I know that problem - I had it myself not so long ago. It means that there is either a gap somewhere in your physical model, or there is an area on your model which is not rigged to any bone. I'd check your rigging first.

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (GTAfanattic @ Apr 5 2008, 01:22)
QUOTE (simkas @ Apr 4 2008, 17:52)

I know that problem - I had it myself not so long ago. It means that there is either a gap somewhere in your physical model, or there is an area on your model which is not rigged to any bone. I'd check your rigging first.

But doesn't it give the "all vertices need to be rigged to a bone" error when some part isn't rigged? And what do you mean by "a gap somewhere in your physical model"?

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

I don't use kam's exporter but my own so I can't tell for sure but usually the problem is linked to the object hierarchy. Press h in gmax/3dsm to open the selection window and tick the Display subtree button on. There you can see your current object hierarchy. Check if all bones are in the correct hierarchy. I think usually the problem lies with the root bone and whether it is linked to the mesh object or not. I forget which is correct: if it root does have the mesh as parent select it and hit unlink. If it doesn't, you will need to link it to ther parent. I know in my own exporter it has to be linked, so for KAM's you probably have to simply unlink it.

Just a guess though.

Alex

Pie94
  • Pie94

Oh. It's that Pieguy..

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

I really want to use this but one problem. How do i open the GTA2 PS2 IMG?
I have IMG Editor 2.0, but it sais that he can't locate the DIR, and when it opens it theres nothing in it. And TXD workshop just wont open it. confused.gif
Please help me!

H13N.H3N
  • H13N.H3N

Lands with a *Clunk*

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (Pie94 @ Jun 14 2008, 13:57)
I really want to use this but one problem. How do i open the GTA2 PS2 IMG?
I have IMG Editor 2.0, but it sais that he can't locate the DIR, and when it opens it theres nothing in it. And TXD workshop just wont open it. confused.gif
Please help me!

@Pie94:

hee.. pal, why you didn't bothered to read some older quotes here? i made the same question and i get an answer

@Simkas:

I made a ped of test of one VCS character (not sure which, they are not named at all) and it did worked, i have Kams Tools and MDL importer, not conflicts or anything of that kind... what i can tell you is that for some reason, Kams tools conflicts with Material Packages for 3D Studio Max (i'm working with version 8) so, i know no other issue than that (at least, not one that can not be solved)

Black Ghost
  • Black Ghost

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:05 PM Edited by Black Ghost, 16 June 2008 - 10:28 PM.

hey nice work but can you make the .dff [ in vc and sa in ps2 ] into GMax ?
and can you make the .dff from pc to ps2 [some people have ps2 chips so they can play copy and moded games like me tounge.gif ]

it will be great if you do it

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

@Pie94: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=285544
should help answer your questions... smile.gif

@H13N.H3N: I would guess it is related to Kam making use of his own custom material, GTAMaterial.

@Black Ghost: I am a GMax user myself, so yes you can use GMax. Unfortunately I am exclusively a vc on pc modder, so I will very likely not do that myself.

Alex

Black Ghost
  • Black Ghost

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:09 AM Edited by Black Ghost, 19 June 2008 - 08:22 AM.

Hey Alex you made it in c++?

if yes can you PM me the source for this tool and dffxbox2pc ? maybe can change it to ps2 converter or something or even just learn from it.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Black Ghost @ Jun 19 2008, 09:09)
Hey Alex you made it in c++?

if yes can you PM me the source for this tool and dffxbox2pc ? maybe can change it to ps2 converter or something or even just learn from it.

Yes, dffxbox2pc is in c++ and yes I can. Remind me of it if you don't have it by next week. smile.gif

As for this script, it is of course in maxscript. If you can do c++, you should have no problem learning maxscript.

Alex

HackMan128
  • HackMan128

alovelyday

• Members
  • None
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Some pland for future? I love it. Keep up work about models editing smile.gif

GTA_Broadway
  • GTA_Broadway

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:43 AM

The link http://lcs.cat3illa....rter_latest.zip. wont work dontgetit.gif . Can someone put up another link please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users