Photo

Vista Problem

8 replies to this topic
ShadowGrrl
  • ShadowGrrl

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

I am having problems getting Vice City to run on vista also, I've done about an hour or two of searching and trying methods to fix, but I don't think they were methods for my specific problem...

My game crashes when starting a new game, but not right in the middle of the loading bar, it crashes at about 85%, I tried to get a screenshot of it but it doesn't work. :(

Back when I used to mod GTA VC, I used to know exactly what most crashes at certain places in the bar ment, so I'm hoping that someone who reads this will know.

Once, after I crashed, I sent the error report thingy to Microsoft and they sent me a thing back (almost instantly) telling me to patch and a link to the patcher. I have the Germany/Australian version of Vice City to I had to patch to US exe then patch that to the 1.1 patch. Anyways, that didn't fix it.

I've tried everything in this thread and it still doesn't work.

I've even tried installing it on XP on Virtual PC 2007 but the game won't load at all.

My specs:
8800 GT (Latest driver.)
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20 GHz 2.20GHz
RAM: 2047
Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Also, does anyone know how to use SteveM's exception handler for Vice City? I installed it correctly, but I don't know where the errors are displayed. I think this could be the key to solving my problem; finding the exact reason why its crashing at that point in the loading bar. So if anyone knows the loading bar well, please post. :)

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

Try this -> http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=310254

ShadowGrrl
  • ShadowGrrl

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:52 AM Edited by ShadowGrrl, 09 February 2008 - 05:59 AM.

That didn't work either. sad.gif

Here's a list of things I've tried:

Win 98 Compatibility mode
Win XP Compatibility mode
Run as Administrator
Delete .set file
Update video card drivers
End all processes from Task Manager
Disable that Task Scheduler thingy in your video
Disable UAC
Disable Windows Event Log
Patch to 1.1

And of cause I've tried them all in different combinations.

girishb suggested to me that I try running my CPU with a single core... how do I do that?

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (ShadowGrrl @ Feb 9 2008, 08:22)
girishb suggested to me that I try running my CPU with a single core... how do I do that?

1. Run the game.
2. Alt+Tab to minimise the game.
3. Goto Windows Task Manager > Processes > Right-click on gta_sa.exe > Select Affinity > Select only CPU 0.
5. Try starting a new game now.

Not sure if this will work 100%, but it's worth a try.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:11 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 09 February 2008 - 02:14 PM.

My solution obviously ain't going to work if you have some different problem.

What is the total size of GTA Vice City in "Program and Features" Also, please take a screenshot of your Vice City file and folder structure in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Vice City. I want to see if you have legit copy first things firsts as stated in the pinned posting requirements.

Also, ask me these questions:

1. Is your game modded
2. Did you installed the latest drivers, and deleted [.set] file?
3. Did you turn on compatibility mode and set it to Windows 98? (It's not necessary)

ShadowGrrl
  • ShadowGrrl

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:04 AM Edited by ShadowGrrl, 10 February 2008 - 03:12 AM.

user posted image

It's legit. The 'expections' and the 'scm_vice' is from the SteveM's Exception Handler I tried to install (they're very small files).

Total size is 1.46 GB.

1. No mods, fresh install, I've also tried a reinstall.
2. What type of drivers? I've updated video card drivers to the latest drivers for my card from nvidia. I'm using the drivers vista gave me for my sound card, so it might not be the latest. And yeah I've deleted the set file after everything I had tried in that list before I ran the game.
3. Yes tried 98 and XP compatibility modes after almost every fix I tried.

Also the CPU thing didn't work. :(

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:29 AM

You game isn't cleanly installed because you have modded content inside the folder structure. Uninstall first and reinstall to get rid of unnecessary files...

ShadowGrrl
  • ShadowGrrl

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:10 AM Edited by ShadowGrrl, 10 February 2008 - 05:25 AM.

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Feb 10 2008, 04:29)
You game isn't cleanly installed because you have modded content inside the folder structure. Uninstall first and reinstall to get rid of unnecessary files...

I haven't modded anything, I put two files in the main folder there, but before that I was still getting the exact same problem, but I'll reinstall it for a third time if you think it will help...

EDIT:
Okay, what the hell is going on.

I reinstalled for a third time and ran the exe in compatibility for 98 and it worked first go.

._.

I'm very confused and very happy, also very grateful for both Ring_of_Fire and girishb's input. Thanks guys, added to respect list. :D

creativefre
  • creativefre

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Saturday, Feb 9 2008, 12:58)
QUOTE (ShadowGrrl @ Feb 9 2008, 08:22)

1. Run the game.
2. Alt+Tab to minimise the game.
3. Goto Windows Task Manager > Processes > Right-click on gta_sa.exe > Select Affinity > Select only CPU 0.
5. Try starting a new game now.

Not sure if this will work 100%, but it's worth a try.

Hey realy thanks it works now for me ! biggrin.gif

Do you know how to save the CPU with a single core because if i start the game again it use all my cpu things again sad.gif

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users