» «
Photo

Black Screen & Mouse Freeze solution

14 replies to this topic
Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:05 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 07 February 2008 - 10:51 PM.

A SOLUTION FOR *WINDOWS VISTA* ONLY!

This is so exciting! See the video as well as see the threads I made up below:

http://pullmonkey.co...sta#comment-140
http://forum.mtasa.c...hp?f=15&t=21795

Girishb and gtamodder, please try this and see if it worked out. Make sure you delete [.set] file after disabling the "Windows Event Log" service (this service when disabled doesn't harm your computer - it's just a service that logs events in Event Viewer).

Once you do this, you can change up the priority, ALt-Tab during gameplay, and you STILL won't get any crash! lol.gif

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

How do I get to the Windows Event Log service?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:42 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 03 February 2008 - 09:45 PM.

Ah, so you need help? Can't be bothered with Remote Assistance...

Note: Click means Double-Click for this scenario...

Alright...

1. Click on the Windows Vista start button.
2. Click "Control Panel".
3. Click "Classic View".
4. Click "Administrative Tools".
5. Click "Services".
6. Sort every service by NAME and look for "Windows Event Log".
7. Right-click and select "Properties".
8. Where you see "Startup type", select DISABLED.
9. Apply & OK, and then restart your computer.
10. Delete [.set] file, turn off compatibility mode smile.gif , and launch San Andreas.

^ Of course, the above can be done usnig MSCONFIG. But your start menu has to be configured to show the "Run" command. Oops, when you are in the "Administrative Tools" window, select System Configuration and go to the "Services" tab. You can disable Windows Event Log from there.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

I think the Windows Event Log is only for Vista, right?
I switched back to XP long time back. I haven't had any freezes so far, but I'll report if any.

Edit: There is, in fact, Event Log in XP too, but it cannot be stopped.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:02 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 05 February 2008 - 06:05 PM.

QUOTE (girishb @ Feb 5 2008, 13:56)
I switched back to XP long time back. I haven't had any freezes so far, but I'll report if any.

Edit: There is, in fact, Event Log in XP too, but it cannot be stopped.

San Andreas/Vice City is always going to work on XP no matter what.

Task Scheduler is dependent on Windows Event Log. To stop Windows Event Log, one must disable it and reboot computer. Now turn off the stupid compatibility mode, delete [.set] file, and launch SA.

Yes and is similar to XP but with new features. Are you finally gonna try doing what I said in this thread now? Tell me if you experience mouse lockup and freezes after disabling it and turning off compatibility mode? moto_whistle.gif

It works Girishb, just trust me like always and it will WORK!

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

I don't have the compatibility mode on. So, that's out of the question.

I'll try disabling the Task Scheduler and then the Event Log as you said and I'll report back.
But, since I haven't had any freezes so far, how will I know if this solves the problem?

Currently, I'm having a problem of random lag. I'm not sure what's causing it, but will this method help in any way?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Feb 5 2008, 15:00)

I'll try disabling the Task Scheduler and then the Event Log as you said and I'll report back.
But, since I haven't had any freezes so far, how will I know if this solves the problem?

You can't disable the Task Scheduler. Only disable Event Log and it will automatically disable Task Scheduler.

Currently, I'm having a problem of random lag. I'm not sure what's causing it, but will this method help in any way?

Normally background services causes it. I'd play San Andreas with limited processes running by using MSCONFIG. Also, setting it to High Priority might help.

To get a freeze, Alt-Tab out of gameplay and set the priority to High by using Task Manager. devil.gif The only way not to is to disable Windows Event Log.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:16 PM Edited by girishb, 05 February 2008 - 07:18 PM.

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Feb 6 2008, 00:38)
QUOTE (girishb @ Feb 5 2008, 15:00)

You can't disable the Task Scheduler. Only disable Event Log and it will automatically disable Task Scheduler.

Take a look at it if you've XP. The description of 'Event Log' mentions that you cannot stop the service. There is no 'stop' option either.

Normally background services causes it. I'd play San Andreas with limited processes running by using MSCONFIG. Also, setting it to High Priority might help.

I close down all the unnecessary processes beforehand and I've also tried setting priority to High to no avail. Looks like I need to try something else or get a better PC. confused.gif

To get a freeze, Alt-Tab out of gameplay and set the priority to High by using Task Manager. devil.gif The only way not to is to disable Windows Event Log.

I've tried Alt-Tabbing out of the game, but so far, no freezes. Looks like the problem's far more dominant on Vista.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:24 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 05 February 2008 - 07:27 PM.

Um, I meant for you to experiment what you said on Vista? Obviously not on XP.

Try to ALT-TAB during gameplay and change the priority and switch back. Does your mouse freeze? Want to get that problem fixed?

Take a look at it if you've XP. The description of 'Event Log' mentions that you cannot stop the service. There is no 'stop' option either.

Yes, that's for XP. "Windows Event Log" for Vista = "Event Log" for XP. But Vista's own has more features, and may compromise stability in Rockstar's GTA games...

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Feb 6 2008, 00:54)
Um, I meant for you to experiment what you said on Vista? Obviously not on XP.

Well then you missed one of my posts up there. I got rid of Vista long time back. The DVD's still rotting and I'll let it be.
Let's see what Vienna has to offer. sigh.gif

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (gtamodder @ Feb 3 2008, 17:35)
How do I get to the Windows Event Log service?

It wasn't the Windows Event Log service. It was this:

razking2008
  • razking2008

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

ok i disable event log
turned off capability thing
now whre can i find the [.set] files

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (razking2008 @ Mar 23 2008, 20:11)
ok i disable event log
turned off capability thing
now whre can i find the [.set] files

Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files.

razking2008
  • razking2008

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

deleted them
but its still not working sad.gif

razking2008