Photo

The Alternative Music Topic

171 replies to this topic
Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Yes i'm bumping this topic because i dont feel the need to create a new one but i've been recently listening to a lot of grunge lately and its so depressing but i'm personally in it for the sound. It's so dark and gritty that it sounds awesome.

Been listening to Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Early Bush, & i'm trying to get into Pearl Jam & Stone Temple Pilots but i'm not used to them yet. Anybody wanna recommend me Pearl Jam songs? And don't say "Jeremy", "Yellow Ledbetter" or "Even Flow" cause i already got those

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

The only grunge era group I ever really got into was Soundgarden, and I never really considered them grunge in their later stuff. Cornell's got some great vocal belting though, and I find it's easier for me to listen to some Superunknown when I'm feeling it than any Nirvana album. That's probably because Nirvana got played to hell in my childhood, though. There's a few cats on here that have some favourite grunge bands but I'm not sure they lurk the music section.

Also, in trying to find an alternative music thread myself, I'll keep this open but I'm going to take off the grunge part for accessibility since it already fits under alternative.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

If this is for music that's slightly off the radar or just not discussed very much, I'm okay with that.

So, has anyone heard the new Mars Volta album? Opinions?

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

I've been listening to Noctourniquet nonstop since I downloaded it a week ago, Craig. Well, I've been alternating it with other albums but I keep coming back to it. The entire thing is a pretty different concept to what the Mars Volta usually does but I dig it. Some of the melodies are simplistic by Omar's standards, but the more electronic feel makes up for that I suppose.

Don't be a landmine.

Also, Jack White's debut solo album is coming out 24 April and I'm pretty excited about that.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

alt rock is a very broad spectrum, I'm into

Husker Du
Nirvana
Alice in Chains
Kyuss
Pixies
NIN
Violent Femmes
and of course Melvins....

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I've only played Noctourniquet through once or twice and it really didn't gel with me. Maybe it's one of those Volta albums that takes a few listens to get your head around, but I got so used to just slotting in with them I find that a chore. With Deloused and Bedlam, they just blew me away on first listening. I will say the latter is hard to get through all at once in the same sitting, but the production on it is stellar.

@Vercetti27: I'm a big fan of Kyuss, NIN and Melvins, seeing Melvins in May and I can't wait. I saw NIN on their Goodbye tour a couple of years ago and it was brilliant, they played all kinds of old stuff and B-sides.

If I may contribute to this Nirvana debate too, I quite like them, and take them for what they are. Bleach is just an amazing album.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

NIN is good stuff. Trent's current work is f*cking ace, I feel like he just continues to make great music which is something I rarely admit about music acts. I love his whole 'free music for everyone' thing that he has going, and his work with David Fincher's newest films is great. How to Destroy Angels is looking to be a pretty great get together between Trent, his wife and Atticus Ross.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Maybe it's the name putting me off, but I couldn't get into that. I did however like Ghosts and the work he did on various soundtracks.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Craig @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 12:01)
Maybe it's the name

Felt the same way when I first heard it, tbh. If you get the time they've got an EP for download on their site that's got a good range of songs that'll be on their first album.

Also I might as well ask here: any fans of the Raveonettes? I got Lust, Lust, Lust a while back and I'm about to go grab another one of their albums. Really good stuff.

austinkopeck
  • austinkopeck

Meth Cook

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

My favorite alternative bands are:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stone Temple Pilots
Jane's Addiction
Cake
Foxy Shazam
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
NIN
Green Day
Nirvana
Rage Against the Machine

I like a lot more bands, but these are my favorites

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 22:40)
I've been listening to Noctourniquet nonstop since I downloaded it a week ago, Craig. Well, I've been alternating it with other albums but I keep coming back to it. The entire thing is a pretty different concept to what the Mars Volta usually does but I dig it. Some of the melodies are simplistic by Omar's standards, but the more electronic feel makes up for that I suppose.

Don't be a landmine.

Also, Jack White's debut solo album is coming out 24 April and I'm pretty excited about that.

I prefer Jack Black much more!

For alternative, I don't put the Seattle Grunge movement as a major proponent, as most think of the Nirvana and Pearl Jam comparisons, or they think of College Radio, but in way, Prog Rock included the Alternative Artists of the time

There is a common Rock and Roll thread to most of it.
I think for instance, Garage Rock can be seen as Alternative, or David Bowie who influences people like Trent Reznor

MTV's 120 Minutes back in it's earliest incarnation was a hot bed for Alternative Artists that could afford to make music promo vids

[CTD]LaBan
  • [CTD]LaBan

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:18 PM Edited by [CTD]LaBan, 25 October 2012 - 10:02 AM.

::

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm just gonna freshen up this topic with a couple of favourite Dinosaur Jr tracks and hopefully someone will come in and talk with me about how awesome 80s-90s alternative was.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yep, it was pretty good.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:10 PM Edited by Slamman, 25 April 2014 - 03:13 PM.

Now there's Adult Alternative (contemporary) musical classification? I don't pay too much attention to it, but it seems to fall under or also encompass the college radio scene of 'yesteryear'.

Speaking of Grunge though, you look into influences via interviews of Pearl Jam and Nirvana and you see, but not hear, their rock and metal influences are very similar to those more organic or strict in terms of genre appreciation.

This brings to mind an interview with Edward Van Halen talking about how his biggest influence is Eric Clapton, learned all his songs note for note, but you still find he doesn't sound anything like EC, really! hahaha

Your style as a musician is usually defined by how you approach the instrument and particular skill at it.

Speaking of Dinosaur Jr. I was just digging them up for my iPod music adds, and there's some neat current stuff on YouTube, namely a performance and interview video of a radio show appearance I was checking out

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Not huge on Violent Femmes, but I do love Pixies. Don't really care for the new sh*t though. They're playing Field Day this year and I will most definitely be attending.

Speaking of Dinosaur Jr. I was just digging them up for my iPod music adds, and there's some neat current stuff on YouTube, namely a performance and interview video of a radio show appearance I was checking out

The most recent album was actually pretty sweet.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

I keep revisiting I feel the Pain of Everyone...then I feel nothing! hahaha

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

So Nirvana were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this month, the performances were lame and for some reason Lorde sang All Apologies.

J Mascis playing at the afterparty was cool though. Wish there was more coverage.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

I've started listening to Mudhoney and Love Battery again now that I've fixed my iPod, looking forward to the new Kasabian album as well.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

I just got tickets to Kasabian in August, I've been a long time fan of theirs but has anyone else seen them live? They look great from the YouTube vids (Sergio :inlove: ) but I'd like a personal opinion. :)
  • Mr Scratch likes this

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Saw them about five or six years ago when I liked that sh*t. They put on a good show I guess.
  • Linc. likes this

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Anyone ever heard of these guys? They're pretty good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users