The Alternative Music Topic

172 replies to this topic
PureFuckingArmageddon
  • PureFuckingArmageddon

Mayhem

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

Alice in Chains icon14.gif

Some Stone Temple Pilots and Faith no More lately aswell.

GTA Beta
  • GTA Beta

In my Eyes, i'am not lazy

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

This video is funny because Nirvana was going to play Rape Me but MTV Said they couldn't so the picked Lithium. However listen at the start of the video.

tounge2.gif tounge2.gif

Statutory Ray
  • Statutory Ray

I'm a New World Samurai, and a Redneck Nonetheless

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Feb 3 2008, 09:26)
Compare Pearl Jam with earlier grunge music that had messages of apathy, uselessness, and such. Pearl Jam had a more "accepted" message: I guess that's what it can be described as.

Haha, you act like Pearl Jam sings about flowers and puppies. The three songs from Ten, "Alive," "Once," and "Footsteps," describe a man (theoretically Vedder himself) who is driven crazy after learning that who he thought was his real father was actually his step father (true story) and becomes a serial killer who is then caught and sentenced to death. A lot of people view "Alive" as an inspirational song, but it's really not. He's singing about life being a burden, and loathing the fact, not loving it.

The only reason Pearl Jam might be more accepted outside the grunge scene is because they're easily the most successful and (dare I say) talented of the bunch. Their careers weren't ruined by drugs, suicide, or petty disputes and they still make great music that has since strayed away from typical grunge. They're more so the Led Zeppelin of grunge than Nirvana. More teenage girls love Nirvana and Green Day than Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin.

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (Groovy @ Feb 2 2008, 02:19)
The Melvins
Alice In Chains
Temple of The Dog
Soundgarden
Faith No More
Mudhoney
The Smashing Pumpkins

Sonic Youth
The Pixies

Pearl Jam
Nirvana

That about covers it for me.

That's got to be my list, with the addition of Faith No More.

just another thug
  • just another thug

Sysnode is for lovers

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (Direct! @ Feb 3 2008, 19:19)
The Melvins
Alice In Chains
Temple of The Dog
Soundgarden
Faith No More
Mudhoney
The Smashing Pumpkins

Sonic Youth
The Pixies

Pearl Jam
Nirvana

You cut some great bands there... Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins.

HushBull <3rdEye>
  • HushBull <3rdEye>

Bullheaded Twin

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (Statutory Ray @ Feb 3 2008, 17:26)
Compare Pearl Jam with earlier grunge music that had messages of apathy, uselessness, and such. Pearl Jam had a more "accepted" message: I guess that's what it can be described as.

Haha, you act like Pearl Jam sings about flowers and puppies. The three songs from Ten, "Alive," "Once," and "Footsteps," describe a man (theoretically Vedder himself) who is driven crazy after learning that who he thought was his real father was actually his step father (true story) and becomes a serial killer who is then caught and sentenced to death. A lot of people view "Alive" as an inspirational song, but it's really not. He's singing about life being a burden, and loathing the fact, not loving it.

The only reason Pearl Jam might be more accepted outside the grunge scene is because they're easily the most successful and (dare I say) talented of the bunch. Their careers weren't ruined by drugs, suicide, or petty disputes and they still make great music that has since strayed away from typical grunge. They're more so the Led Zeppelin of grunge than Nirvana. More teenage girls love Nirvana and Green Day than Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin.

Exactly! icon14.gif

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (just another thug @ Feb 4 2008, 04:49)
QUOTE (Direct! @ Feb 3 2008, 19:19)
The Melvins
Alice In Chains
Temple of The Dog
Soundgarden
Faith No More
Mudhoney
The Smashing Pumpkins

Sonic Youth
The Pixies

Pearl Jam
Nirvana

You cut some great bands there... Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins.

I know, never listened to Sonic Youth but I just don't like the pumpkins...

PureFuckingArmageddon
  • PureFuckingArmageddon

Mayhem

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

Alice really covers the whole grunge scene for me, and Faith for the alt.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (Statutory Ray @ Feb 3 2008, 22:26)

When had I said PJ didn't? Do I dare explain myself anymore. Just trying to share my opinion about something yet you disagree? Is that not allowed? suicidal.gif

My views on bands may differ from yours. I really don't have the time to argue with you; case closed. That's my own perception. I suppose only I can understand, even though it isn't that hard. If you want to keep antagonizing against my views than f*ck off. I don't have the time to discuss differentation of musical views via interwebs, kay?

And yes, there is something stuck up my unhappy place... dozingoff.gif

outcest
  • outcest

you made me realize

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Feb 4 2008, 19:59)
When had I said PJ didn't? Do I dare explain myself anymore. Just trying to share my opinion about something yet you disagree? Is that not allowed? suicidal.gif

My views on bands may differ from yours. I really don't have the time to argue with you; case closed. That's my own perception. I suppose only I can understand, even though it isn't that hard. If you want to keep antagonizing against my views than f*ck off. I don't have the time to discuss differentation of musical views via interwebs, kay?

um...I don't know if you understand how thread discussion operates, but the idea behind it all is that we discuss each other's opinions. kinda the whole basis of a forum.

You shared your views, Ray made a valid counterpoint...and you get your panties in a knot and try to play sh*t off as though you're clearly the superior debater...

do you see which part of that equation doesn't add up?

HushBull <3rdEye>
  • HushBull <3rdEye>

Bullheaded Twin

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE (outcest @ Feb 4 2008, 22:06)

um...I don't know if you understand how thread discussion operates, but the idea behind it all is that we discuss each other's opinions. kinda the whole basis of a forum.

You shared your views, Ray made a valid counterpoint...and you get your panties in a knot and try to play sh*t off as though you're clearly the superior debater...

I think what you are both trying to say is, that Pearl jam is the best to come out of Seattle.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (outcest @ Feb 5 2008, 03:06)

I understand, but there's a difference between discussing and stating that my own beliefs are incorrect, incoherent,'stupid,' and wrong. Do these statements seem like "discussing input?"

It's a shame. icon13.gif

My whole point was it doesn't make sense...

How does wanting to end a discussion on my opinion's incorrectness have anything to do with whether I think I am superior?

HushBull <3rdEye>
  • HushBull <3rdEye>

Bullheaded Twin

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Feb 5 2008, 15:17)
QUOTE (outcest @ Feb 5 2008, 03:06)

I understand, but there's a difference between discussing and stating that my own beliefs are incorrect, incoherent,'stupid,' and wrong. Do these statements seem like "discussing input?"

It's a shame. icon13.gif

My whole point was it doesn't make sense...

How does wanting to end a discussion on my opinion's incorrectness have anything to do with whether I think I am superior?

Just chill, go eat something. Smoke a cig, anything.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:06 PM

Had to see the doctor's confused.gif

Sorry about my b*tch mode; I just don't know when to stop...But you make a good point Hushbull--Pearl rox! Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

topdogkiller
  • topdogkiller

The Unseen

• Members

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

my fav's are definetly
SG
Alice In Chains
Mad Season
Mudhoney
Temple Of The Dog
Collective Soul were alright

TheDude5000
  • TheDude5000

Soak of the year!

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:53 AM

What does everyone think of Seven Mary Three

Cumbersome:

and Candlebox(who actually formed in Seattle)?

Understanding:

just another thug
  • just another thug

Sysnode is for lovers

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:20 AM

Far Behind by Candlebox is awesome. I definitely dig that song.

Rain Ocampo
  • Rain Ocampo

Brazen Hussy

• Members

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:37 PM Edited by Rain Ocampo, 06 February 2008 - 01:40 PM.

My Favourites:

Babes in Toyland
L7
Hole
Soundgarden
Mudhoney
Alice in Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Nirvana
Garbage (I think they count as Alternative?)

I'm not a huge fan of Nirvana. They're just very easy listening and their songs are catchy. My favourite album of theirs was the Unplugged in New York. 'Come as you Are' never sounded better.

Timpo
  • Timpo

Trash

• Members

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

Pearl Jam these days isn't really "grunge" anymore, right? but I still like it very much smile.gif . I really hope they come to Eurpe this year again, though there's almost zero chance. confused.gif
apart from that I'm not really a true grunge fan I guess. I like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog, Mother Love Bone, and a bit of Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins, but I'm more an oldskool rock fan.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

Can anyone name, if there is any, "grungy" French rock. In my French class, my teacher wants us to get a song, don't know why, and I thought it would be cool to have grunge since that is prominently what I listen to. If you can help a sista out, it'd be appreciated...

GTA Beta
  • GTA Beta

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:53 PM Edited by GTA Beta, 13 February 2008 - 08:30 PM.

If you ask me when Kurt was killed(or killed himself) i think Grunge took a popularity drop a little bit.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Feb 7 2008, 17:52)
Can anyone name, if there is any, "grungy" French rock. In my French class, my teacher wants us to get a song, don't know why, and I thought it would be cool to have grunge since that is prominently what I listen to. If you can help a sista out, it'd be appreciated...

You should play Belenos for the class.

@ GTA Beta: Don't you f*cking start that discussion. If anybody replies to this, I'm locking the topic.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Feb 11 2008, 22:44)
QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Feb 7 2008, 17:52)

You should play Belenos for the class.

@ GTA Beta: Don't you f*cking start that discussion. If anybody replies to this, I'm locking the topic.

I'll look into it... wink.gif

I think Kur...oh... moto_whistle.gif

TheDude5000
  • TheDude5000

Soak of the year!

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:44 AM

This is awkard, I came into the topic wanting to talk Filter before I read this guys obsessive post.

So anyone into Filter?

Their first CD, Short Bus (1995) is far by the most grungiest. If you like the music videos up there, then check it out(second one is from the Crow: City Of Angels soundtrack though).

GTA Beta
  • GTA Beta

• Members

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:21 AM

Just picked up the new pearl jam CD today for v-Day. Anybody else got this CD?

user posted image

!moe!
  • !moe!

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

Stone Temple Pilot's is headlining the Rock on the Range festival, on May 17th in Ohio. Filter playing the same day, wonder what that will be like?

Other than that, doesn't seem like there would be much of a reason to go to the festival.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:46 AM

Not a huge grunge fan, but I've always had a soft spot for Soundgarden.

I can vividly remember my Jr. High days and listening to them nonstop on the bus to school. Great music and one of my favorite vocalists.

Pearl Jam's another band I really like from that movement, but that's about where it ends for me when it comes to grunge. Never really pursued it further.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (!moe! @ Feb 14 2008, 00:59)
Stone Temple Pilot's is headlining the Rock on the Range festival, on May 17th in Ohio. Filter playing the same day, wonder what that will be like?

Where in Ohio?

...Cause I live in Ohio and I'm a big STP be fan and that would be awesome and that would be rad if it was nearby me and I could see and I would yell "yah!" and that would be awesome and I would seem them play if I knew where and...

*Head explodes

!moe!
  • !moe!

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Feb 14 2008, 20:29)
Stone Temple Pilot's is headlining the Rock on the Range festival, on May 17th in Ohio.  Filter playing the same day, wonder what that will be like?

Where in Ohio?

...Cause I live in Ohio and I'm a big STP be fan and that would be awesome and that would be rad if it was nearby me and I could see and I would yell "yah!" and that would be awesome and I would seem them play if I knew where and...

*Head explodes

Columbus, Ohio.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (!moe! @ Feb 14 2008, 22:23)
QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Feb 14 2008, 20:29)
Stone Temple Pilot's is headlining the Rock on the Range festival, on May 17th in Ohio.  Filter playing the same day, wonder what that will be like?

Where in Ohio?

*Head explodes

Columbus, Ohio.

Holy hell! I can make it! It's only a 3 hour drive...

But to see STP? I'll see if I can! Doubt it though: I'm very sheltered

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users