» «
Photo

Prototype

238 replies to this topic
cps82
  • cps82

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:55 PM Edited by cps82, 22 February 2008 - 10:33 AM.

This thread is to discuss all relating to the upcoming game Prototype

QUOTE (Radical Entertainment)
More gameplay per square foot than you've ever seen

Video trailer(s):

Details

Dev: Radical Entertainment
Publisher: Sierra
Available on: Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Release: US Q3 2008, EU TBC
Genre: Action (open-world)

The game is the first in a planned franchise.

The player controls the character of amnesiac Alex Mercer in modern-day NYC, with open-world freedom in which the player can visit most locations and interact with the environment while not engaged in missions. Alex will clash with the military's Black Watch Special Forces and the effects of a mutated viral epidemic as he works to discover the secrets of his past.

A key aspect of Prototype is the 'deceive or destroy' concept, which is tied to Alex's enemy-consuming and shapeshifting powers. Alex can consume the bodies of those he has killed, which gives him access to their memories, their experiences, and their physical forms. Alex can also shapeshift into more fantastic forms for attack, defense, or sensory enhancement. All of these together are intended to give players multiple ways to complete their objectives. Movement is simplified to allow more controls dedicated to shapeshifting, with Alex automatically navigating obstacles in a manner inspired by Parkour (free-running).

Gameplay
Prototype is centered around Alex's superhuman abilities. Alex has superhuman speed, strength, and durability, as well as the abilities of consuming his fallen enemies, shapeshifting his body, and easily moving in the New York City environment. Radical claims that there will be 750 "unique combinations" of powers.

Co-Op Play
The game will also feature Co-op multiplayer on PC, Xbox Live and Playstation Network. Both of the players will run around New York city as Alex Mercer, and 'deceive or destroy' together with a friend. Both of you don't actually have to look alike, depending on how far each of you have gotten and who you have consumed, Thus giving you the ability to change your appearance in various ways.

Physique
Several aspects of Alex's physique are superhuman. He is strong enough to lift cars or rip light posts off of their moorings and use them as close-combat or thrown weapons. Alex is faster than a normal car and can run right up the side of buildings. He can jump amazing distances, and can fall from great heights without taking damage.

Consuming
When Alex consumes someone, he gains their memories, their body mass, and the ability to mimic their appearance. Consuming memories will help him unlock nodes of the Web of Intrigue and advance the story. He also consumes useful skills, eventually giving him the proficiency to pilot military vehicles and use various kinds of weaponry. Consuming dead foes and innocent bystanders augments Alex's biomass, enhancing his strength and his ability to morph his body into offensive or defensive forms. Each person he consumes becomes another form he can use as a disguise.

Shapeshifting
Alex's ability to shapeshift manifests in four different ways: Disguise, Attack, Defend, and Sensory.

Disguise
To alter his appearance, all Alex has to do is "consume" a human victim, then he can assume their identity. At its simplest, changing his appearance makes Alex harder to track. More subtly, Alex can take advantage of the relationships NPC's have with the person he is disguised as. For example, when mimicking a military commander Alex will be able to infiltrate military positions without challenge, falsely accuse another person of being the Prototype, or call in air strikes.

Attack
Alex's body can assume nonhuman forms as well. Offensively, he can form clawed hands, bladelike arms, or hammerlike fists that are useful in close-quarters combat. He can also use a ranged attack which causes sharp spikes to burst from the ground and impale people and vehicles.

Defend
Alex can alter his body's defenses to resist damage or ward off attackers. Defenses include sharp spines protruding from his back, bulletproof plates, and a tough shield mounted on a forearm. He can even make his skin into an armor-like skin.

Sensory
Alex can adjust his senses to perceive things in the environment that normal humans would be unaware of. These senses include infrared, nightvision, and the ability to track individual enemies in a crowd.

Movement
Movement in Prototype is inspired by Parkour and contributes to the feel of controlling Alex. Alex will automatically maneuver around or through obstacles, allowing the player to move him more easily with the simplified movement controls. In turn, the simplified movement controls allow more dedicated controls for combat and usage of Alex's powers.

Story
Prototype follows the story of Alex Mercer, an amnesia-stricken experiment. As the game opens Alex finds himself on the experimentation table with absolutely no recollection of his past. The confused prototype emerges from an underground lab deep within the heart of New York City, only to discover that there is much more going on in the outside world.

With no knowledge of where he came from or whether he is even human Alex is forced to kill to discover his past and avenge what has been done to him. He soon discovers that he has the ability to consume the power of those whom he kills, taking their memories, skills, and even their appearance.

Above these new found talents Alex is suddenly thrown into a war between himself and two different powers. The Black Watch Special Forces, a horribly mutated virus-infected populace, and the prototype himself all wage war in the streets of New York City.

The entire game is revolved around a giant conspiracy in which the developers explain is designed to reflect real world government secrets.

Features
Prototype will be one of the first games to support the Neural-THX 7.1 surround sound standard.

QUOTE (Dr. Mark Tuffy - Games Director @ THX Ltd.)
Game developers and consumers alike are recognizing the importance of accurate surround sound to the overall game experience, and the move to 7.1 surround represents a natural evolution of game audio.

QUOTE (Dr. Mark Tuffy - Games Director @ THX Ltd.)
We are thrilled to partner with Sierra and Radical Entertainment to introduce Neural-THX Surround for games. The Prototype storyline and use of surround sound elements makes it the perfect fit for 7.1 game-play.

Previews
Most recent are all from Australia. Radical Entertainment staged a press event in Syndey in order to promote the game at the beginning of January, the following previews are all from that:

www.ign.com --> GDC 2008: Prototype Progress Report added 21 Feb
www.gamespot.com
www.gameplayer.com

Voice Actors Confirmed
Taking the role of protagonist shape-shifter Alex Mercer will be Barry Pepper (Flags of Our Fathers, M.A.N.T.I.S.). The supporting cast will be headlined by character actors Gordon Clapp (Flags of Our Fathers, NYPD Blue) and Paul Guilfoyle (C.S.I.: Crime Scene Investigation, M.A.N.T.I.S.).

Taken from gamespot.com 'Prototype goes Hollywood': link

All sounds pretty good to me and certainly one to watch for this year. I will be updating this thread as and when any news is released but in the meantime please feel free to discuss.

Official website: www.prototypegame.com

cps82
  • cps82

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

--Reserved--

Ryuranger
  • Ryuranger

OGLOCK

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Thats f*cking awesome, would love to see how the game pans out biggrin.gif

cps82
  • cps82

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:03 PM Edited by cps82, 08 January 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Yeah I've only just started to follow this game and I'm excited already biggrin.gif

Going to see if I can dig anything else up...

EDIT: Updates added.

Chickstick
  • Chickstick

Fortunate Son

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

Never even heard of it until this post to be honest, but looks good. May buy or rent it when it comes out.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

This looks freaking amazing. Hope they don't stop production of it at some point due to the complexities of the game sad.gif .
Thanks for the heads up cps82,
CF33

[GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man]
  • [GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man]

Abandoned

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

Never heard of this game.. but im so hyped for it now!

Radical are great developers, they seem to like their f reeroam games (Scarface, Simpsons Hit and Run etc)

This looks awesome wow.gif

cps82
  • cps82

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:39 PM Edited by cps82, 08 January 2008 - 05:45 PM.

QUOTE ([GTA Man)
cycon77foamy[GTA Man],Jan 8 2008, 17:21] Never heard of this game.. but im so hyped for it now!

Radical are great developers, they seem to like their f reeroam games (Scarface, Simpsons Hit and Run etc)

This looks awesome wow.gif

Me neither until I stumbled accross it last night, that's why I thought I'd post it icon14.gif

And yeah they have plenty of experience in open-world games which is a plus. Although last instances have been under license (i.e. restricted), which this is not... even better. colgate.gif

EDIT: @CF33 no problem smile.gif

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

I had heard of this game, but it had slipped to the back of my mind. Seems someone watched the last two Matrix movies and Terminator 2, and decided to combine them into.. T-Smith? Smith-1000? Oh well, doesn't matter. Looks like it'll be fun.

cps82
  • cps82

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (jallar @ Jan 8 2008, 17:45)
I had heard of this game, but it had slipped to the back of my mind. Seems someone watched the last two Matrix movies and Terminator 2, and decided to combine them into.. T-Smith? Smith-1000? Oh well, doesn't matter. Looks like it'll be fun.

Lol, yep and just after playing Assassin's Creed...

Doesn't sound like a bad combo imho!

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

This game seems pretty interesting. A huge transforming monster arm? Superhuman speed and strength? I'm game.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

I'm getting this game for sure when it comes out.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

It definately is an original concept in the way it combines elements and the gameplay is similiar to for example Crackdown, but yet so very different. I like this. inlove.gif

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:53 PM

Sounds cool. So when do we get to play it....on PC

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

I've been following this ever since it was on the cover of Gameinformer, looks amazing.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

Yeah its got that crackdown feel mixed with Mercenaries and spiced up by a unique gameplay element being shapeshifting combat. While its had influence it comes across as an original and fresh idea which is good these days. Might have to keep a lookout for this during this year.

SlappingOysters
  • SlappingOysters

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

Hey guys,

Another extensive preview of this game is up alongside some new screens and a new trailer. All can be seen here.

Radical showed some new stuff to this site yesterday. Game looks sick. Interesting that it is set in New York City, kind of makes the GTA 4 comparison even more obvious.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:41 AM

Yeh I been following this ever since it was on the cover of GI. But it slipped my mind as GTA edged foward. I would love to give it a try. Running up buildings seems like it would be crazy.

freak2121
  • freak2121

I'm bored.

• Members

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:02 AM Edited by freak2121, 15 December 2008 - 11:47 PM.

That's a f*cking awesome idea and game!

3niX
  • 3niX

Lazy idiot

• Members

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:38 AM

Well...

Bioshock+ GTA+ erm... Heroes?= wtf!?

This game has only two options in my eyes... ultimate win or lose. It just CANT be medicore.

Trows
  • Trows

• The Precinct

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

Sounds awesome.

Also MOTHER f*ckING COOP
Trows pumps arms in the air

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (The-King @ Jan 8 2008, 23:41)
I've been following this ever since it was on the cover of Gameinformer, looks amazing.

Wow I didnt notice I had typed the exact same thing you did...wierd. And yes this game will either be a big hit, or a dissappointment.

cps82
  • cps82

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (SlappingOysters @ Jan 9 2008, 00:57)
Hey guys,

Another extensive preview of this game is up alongside some new screens and a new trailer. All can be seen here.

Radical showed some new stuff to this site yesterday. Game looks sick. Interesting that it is set in New York City, kind of makes the GTA 4 comparison even more obvious.

Thanks I will add previews to the first post icon14.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It certainly looks like one of those games that will only go one of two ways! Let's hope it's the right way. cool.gif

Transparanoia
  • Transparanoia

Sing.

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

I was really pumped for inFamous, but sounds even better! Is there a projected release date/window?

Edit: Never mind, I just checked the first post.

Oblivionz
  • Oblivionz

Clunge Crawler

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Spikes <3
That screenshot is win.

<3
This game is going to be f*cking amazing

Southside Dukes Ballas
  • Southside Dukes Ballas

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Transparanoia @ Jan 14 2008, 16:14)
I was really pumped for inFamous, but sounds even better! Is there a projected release date/window?

I'm pumped for both not to mention Free Radical has a pretty good track record on these types of games. 1st Hulk Ultimate Destruction and Scarface so I'd day this game will be a good game

Transparanoia
  • Transparanoia

Sing.

• Members

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Southside Dukes Ballas @ Jan 15 2008, 04:08)
QUOTE (Transparanoia @ Jan 14 2008, 16:14)

I'm pumped for both not to mention Free Radical has a pretty good track record on these types of games. 1st Hulk Ultimate Destruction and Scarface so I'd day this game will be a good game

I'm still pumped for inFamous, but I guess hearing no news you forget about it. I think I'll like the story more in inFamous, after reading the plot for both games.

Oblivionz, that shot is amazing. Look at how the ground cracks! Awesome. This looks like great fun.

WalkerBoh
  • WalkerBoh

smells quite odiferous

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:05 AM

This game looks savage as f*ck.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (Oblivionz @ Jan 14 2008, 17:33)
Spikes <3
That screenshot is win.

<3
This game is going to be f*cking amazing

I dont know, I know I'm being picky but they are all on the spikes in exactly the same way. Not what I expected. confused.gif

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

Call me obsessive with Spider-Man, But this guy/his powers seems a bit like Venom.

Which is good, this game is very intruiging, it's going to be interesting to see how it controls when it's released.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users