Photo

GTAF Photography Topic

3,265 replies to this topic
Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:07 PM Edited by Nah Tso Gud, 19 April 2012 - 08:19 PM.

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 13:50)
That's one cute dog, alright.

Got my camera back from repair. They didn't throw in the free battery like I was promised. f*ck Canon support. They're sh*te.

Anyway, I took this one of a couple on ecstasy.

user posted image

Nice, it captures the feeling well.. Great touch, dragging the shutter.

Edit: To add one of mine, and early rendition though.. looked a bit better with more post production... Just a pretty standard water droplet photo with a macro lens.. Bounced my flash off construction paper placed behind a crock pot filled with water to add the colorful reflection.

user posted image

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

That's stunning. The colors are brilliant.

I just got a set of extension tubes in the mail from B&H, going to see if I can get any nice macro shots in the next day or two. Expect a lot of mediocre shots of standard macro subjects from me.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Kajun @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 16:57)
That's stunning. The colors are brilliant.

I just got a set of extension tubes in the mail from B&H, going to see if I can get any nice macro shots in the next day or two. Expect a lot of mediocre shots of standard macro subjects from me.

Thanks! and also....Awesome! @ the tubes... Ive been thinking about selling my macro and just buying some extension tubes, which apparently go extremely well with my Canon 135 f/2. The colors in that shot are basically straight out of camera actually, before any saturation and contrast really... But yeah.. macro can be tough to get used to but its just fun shooting such small objects and seeing such detail... its really a great thrill to pull up an image on the computer wondering what youll see.

For macro/close work - forget auto focus for awhile, set the focus manually.. a tripod will be your best friend.. but you may have known all that already.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:49 AM Edited by Kajun, 20 April 2012 - 08:39 PM.

The autofocus with the tubes is pretty shocking anyways. When I was first playing around with them seeing if the autofocus would even work (they're cheapo Zeikos tubes) it was brutally slow and sometimes won't work at all when the tubes are stacked.

But yeah, I was always going to bust out the tripod for any serious macro work, I've just been pissing about with it taking shots of stuff at home and work today.

EDIT: Managed to take a decent shot, bracketed it and make a HDR out of it. One of the US dollar coins I've found mixed in with the loonies in the tills at work.

user posted image

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Nice! Looks pretty damn sharp still, or do extension tubes not affect sharpness really? Not too familiar with them I guess... no glass elements right?

This was during Target Fields opening year here in MN.. noticed the reflection in my buddies glasses, thought it looked pretty neat.

user posted image

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Woah that is sick, everything's so clear in the reflection wow.gif

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 10:51)
Nice! Looks pretty damn sharp still, or do extension tubes not affect sharpness really? Not too familiar with them I guess... no glass elements right?

You're right, there's nothing but air in the extension tubes. They don't affect the optical quality at all, the only downside to them is there's a bit of light loss by using them and there's no infinity focus. You can't really focus on anything more than a few feet away depending on what lens you've got on top of the tubes, and how many tubes you might have stacked.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

How many here take iPhone photography seriously? With so many tools and apps at your disposal with an iPhone (or indeed, any smartphone), you could pretty much build up a portfolio of decent photographs without even realising it. I took this one today and quite liked the framing. I was just wondering if anyone else used their phones, despite the stigma, and if anyone used apps?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:35 PM Edited by Kajun, 22 April 2012 - 08:47 PM.

I'll agree with the fact you can take some pretty stunning photos with phones these days, but I never use my phone for anything I'd consider remotely serious. Even with all the apps out there, the apps are usually nothing more than some iffy filters.

EDIT: I was reading gizmodo a few minutes ago at work and found an article that I thought some people here would find interesting. Sorry about the formatting, I'm typing it all from my phone.

Here's a list of tips, advice, rules and just things to know about photography from Eric Kim, a street photographer who also holds photography workshop classes. I think the gist of it is to keep taking pictures always.

Here's the full list:

1. Just because someone has an expensive camera doesn't mean that they're a good photographer.
2. Always shoot in RAW. Always.
3. Prime lenses help you learn to be a better photographer.
4. Photo editing is an art in itself
5. The rule of thirds works 99% of the time. 6. Macro photography isn't for everybody. 7. UV filters work just as well as lens caps. 8. Go outside & shoot photos rather than spending hours a day on photography forums.
9. Capture the beauty in the mundane and you have a winning photograph.
10. Film isn't better than digital.
11. Digital isn't better than film.
12. There is no "magic" camera or lens.
13. Better lenses don't give you better photos.
14. Spend less time looking at other people's work and more time shooting your own.
15. Don't take your DSLR to parties.
16. Girls dig photographers.
17. Making your photos b/w doesn't automatically make them "artsy"
18. People will always discredit your work if you tell them you "photoshop" your images. Rather, tell them that you process them in the "digital darkroom".
19. You don't need to take a photo of everything.
20. Have at least 2 backups of all your images. Like they say in war, two is one, one is none.
21. Ditch the neck strap and get a handstrap.
22. Get closer when taking your photos, they often turn out better.
23. Be a part of a scene while taking a photo; not a voyeur.
24. Taking a photo crouched often make your photos look more interesting.
25. Worry less about technical aspects and focus more on compositional aspects of photography.
26. Tape up any logos on your camera with black gaffers tape- it brings a lot less attention to you.
27. Always underexpose by 2/3rds of a stop when shooting in broad daylight.
28. The more photos you take, the better you get.
29. Don't be afraid to take several photos of the same scene at different exposures, angles, or apertures.
30. Only show your best photos.
31. A point-and-shoot is still a camera.
32. Join an online photography forum.
33. Critique the works of others.
34. Think before you shoot.
35. A good photo shouldn't require explanation (although background information often adds to an image). *
36. Alcohol and photography do not mix well.
37. Draw inspiration from other photographers but never worship them. 38. Grain is beautiful.
39. Ditch the photo backpack and get a messenger bag. It makes getting your lenses and camera a whole lot easier.
40. Simplicity is key.
41. The definition of photography is: "painting with light." Use light in your favor.
42. Find your style of photography and stick with it.
43. Having a second monitor is the best thing ever for photo processing.
44. Silver EFEX pro is the best b/w converter.
45. Carry your camera with you everywhere. Everywhere.
46. Never let photography get in the way of enjoying life.
47. Don't pamper your camera. Use and abuse it.
48. Take straight photos.
49. Shoot with confidence.
50. Photography and juxtaposition are best friends.
51. Print out your photos big. They will make you happy.
52. Give your photos to friends.
53. Give them to strangers.
54. Don't forget to frame them.
55. Costco prints are cheap and look great.
56. Go out and take photos with (a) friend(s).
57. Join a photo club or start one for yourself.
58. Photos make great presents.
59. Taking photos of strangers is thrilling. 60. Candid>Posed.
61. Natural light is the best light.
62. 35mm (on full frame) is the best "walk-around" focal length.
63. Don't be afraid to bump up your ISO when necessary.
64. You don't need to always bring a tripod with you everywhere you go (hell, I don't even own one).
65. It is always better to underexpose than overexpose.
66. Shooting photos of homeless people in an attempt to be "artsy" is exploitation. 67. You will find the best photo opportunities in the least likely situations. 68. Photos are always more interesting with the human element included. 69. You can't "photoshop" bad images into good ones.
70. Nowadays everybody is a photographer.
71. You don't need to fly to Paris to get good photos; the best photo opportunities are in your backyard.
72. People with DSLRS who shoot portraits with their grip pointed downwards look like morons.
73. Cameras as tools, not toys.
74. In terms of composition, photography and painting aren't much different.
75. Photography isn't a hobby- it's a lifestyle.
76. Make photos, not excuses.
77. Be original in your photography. Don't try to copy the style of others.
78. The best photographs tell stories that begs the viewer for more.
79. Any cameras but black ones draw too much attention.
80. The more gear you carry around with you the less you will enjoy photography. 81. Good self-portraits are harder to take than they seem.
82. Laughter always draws out peoples' true character in a photograph.
83. Don't look suspicious when taking photos-blend in with the environment.
84. Landscape photography can become dull after a while.
85. Have fun while taking photos.
86. Never delete any of your photos.
87. Be respectful when taking photos of people or places.
88. When taking candid photos of people in the street, it is easier to use a wide-angle than a telephoto lens.
89. Travel and photography are the perfect pair.
90. Learn how to read a histogram.
91. A noisy photo is better than a blurry one.
92. Don't be afraid to take photos in the rain.
93. Learn how to enjoy the moment, rather than relentlessly trying to capture the perfect picture of it.
94. Never take photos on an empty stomach.
95. You will discover a lot about yourself through your photography.
96. Never hoard your photographic insight-share it with the world.
97. Never stop taking photos
98. Photography is more than simply taking photos, it is a philosophy of life
99. Capture the decisive moment
100. Write your own list.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Brilliant list. I only use one lens these days, a 50mm 1.4 and I totally agree that prime lenses are great for making you a better shooter. I do still think film is better than digital though tounge.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

I dunno about this. It's great to draw inspiration from other artists.

Nothing is really that original any more. This has been a huge debate in my head over the last couple of years and now I'm happy and have come to terms with it. The Beatles did it, Led Zeppelin did it, everyone does it in some form or another. Borrow and put your own stamp on it.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Monday, Apr 23 2012, 13:37)

I dunno about this. It's great to draw inspiration from other artists.

Nothing is really that original any more. This has been a huge debate in my head over the last couple of years and now I'm happy and have come to terms with it. The Beatles did it, Led Zeppelin did it, everyone does it in some form or another. Borrow and put your own stamp on it.

There's a difference between drawing inspiration and imitation.

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

New Mug!

user posted image

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

Any AC/DC fans?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

inlove.gif

I applaud you! icon14.gif icon14.gif

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:27 AM Edited by Kajun, 29 April 2012 - 01:40 AM.

Did you take those? They're awesome, I'd kill to be able to take proper photos at a concert of that sort.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

Sure did! biggrin.gif we got 4th row tickets to a November show and 5th row in a January.. these were actually taken with just my XSi and cheapo 55-250mm lens.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

A selection of photos taken here and there.

user posted image
The Clifton Suspension Bridge.

user posted image
What I call the "Spine Structure" at the @Bristol Centre.

user posted image
Cherry blossom in the rain.

user posted image
A rose tree/bush leaf with rain droplets.

user posted image
Fields outside of Bridgwater.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'm not sure if you've mentioned what kind of camera you use, but if you've got any exposure bracketing features with yours I would definitely go back to those fields.

You could get a really nice HDR shot potentially, or at the very least have a scene that's got perfect exposure. The field shot you posted seems a tad underexposed because of the bright sky.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Kajun @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 19:49)
I'm not sure if you've mentioned what kind of camera you use, but if you've got any exposure bracketing features with yours I would definitely go back to those fields.

You could get a really nice HDR shot potentially, or at the very least have a scene that's got perfect exposure. The field shot you posted seems a tad underexposed because of the bright sky.

I'll share a secret about that field picture, I wasn't even in the field when I took that picture, I simply took the shot whilst on a coach on my way back from a retreat in the countryside. If I am given the chance to go back to that area, I would definitely go into that field and take some proper shots.

And next time, I would use a proper camera, not an iPhone camera which was the only camera I had on me at that time due to the old Hitachi HDC-85 IE camera I have that has a broken shutter and visual adjustment faults, so snaps don't turn out very smooth anymore.

I'm in two minds to just get a new camera, maybe a Panasonic Lumix DMC FS30 like the one I use in my amateur photography course, or maybe save up to get something completely different.

Until then, I'll make do with what I have at hand.

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

user posted image

I like this photo to say it was taken from a 3.2 megapixel Samsung phone camera...

Took it at Palma Aquarium in Majorca about 2 and a half years ago.

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homeboy

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

I liked this point

96. Never hoard your photographic insight-share it with the world.

I wouldn't really call my photography "insight" but whatever..... Anyways, I would like to contribute a little here. It's all pretty basic stuff, I just have a Canon Powershot A520 and a cr@ppy iPhone camera so no pro gear. Also I don't really know where to start with contributions, so i guess I will just go a bit "random" for now.

Heres some snow themed pics I have taken over the last few winters:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 00:23)
Any AC/DC fans?

-snip-

They're amazing. smile.gif

What's your camera?

McLovin_
  • McLovin_

Windy ♥

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Well I know I'm a stranger around this part of the forums but here a few pictures I took the other day.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

Here's a gallery I stumbled across earlier and fell in love with. Some really striking photos:
Hitlerís Bunker and the Ruins of Berlin: Rare and Unpublished Photos

I have no photographic skills whatsoever so I rely on things like Photoshop and Instagram to make my pictures look better. Whilst I'm nowhere near being a "hipster" or any of that nonsense, I have to admit that Instagram does quite a good job of giving photos a little edge. Here's one I took of my five-year-old Zippo:

user posted image

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

I've been thinking of giving instagram too, check out what its about.

This one is sortve pixelated... Either I messed up the sharpening in PhotoShop or its just from a heavy heavy crop... I inverted it so the world is shown right side up in the refraction, you can see the steeples from a nearby church if you look closely.

user posted image

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:47 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 02 May 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Great photos Nah Tso Gud.

I haven't been taking any photos lately sad.gif So..I went out my back garden just now and took a couple of my dog. biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

@ ThePinkFloydSound: Beautiful dog, man. Love those photos.

Here's a couple from a trip to York. My house-mate and I wanted to see York Minster badly so I woke her up one morning, convinced her to get on the train with me and do it there and then. Turned out to be a beautiful day. They're nothing amazing but I like them. Considering it was my first use of a proper camera, I was pretty chuffed.

user posted image

user posted image

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 20:06)
Here's a couple from a trip to York.

Great shot! icon14.gif Whenever I see that kind of building structure I just think of climbing it (Assassins Creed messed up my brain)

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 22:22)
QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 20:06)
Here's a couple from a trip to York.

Great shot! icon14.gif Whenever I see that kind of building structure I just think of climbing it (Assassins Creed messed up my brain)

Thanks, man. I totally get you. You wouldn't believe the temptation I had to resist when I was at the top of the tower. I wanted to eagle dive right off it. Unfortunately, there are "rules and regulations" sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users