• Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, A week ago.

I've never really understood the concept of landscape photography with the nifty fifty. Those two things just don't fit in the same sentence for me. It's great for portraits and stuff, though, but I've been thinking about changing mine to a 35mm so I don't have to take my photos ten meters from my subject. Thoughts?

Yeah the 50mm lenses are just so great when it comes to bang for buck. They're so cheap and can be very sharp and give nice results for the price. For low light, portraits and shallow DOF, they are fantastic but for landscapes, I wouldn't even consider a 50mm. I would use it, if that's all I had and I have been in that situation where it's all I had and I'm guessing that's why most people would use them for landscape: necessity/no choice. 

Up until recently I've been using a 40mm pancake as my main lens. It's priced slightly more than the 50 but it's very sharp and you can get wonderful results. It gives you all the fun benefits of a 50mm but the extra 10mm is so worth the 40 or 50 bucks extra. Using it exclusively as my main lens, it forced me to make the best of it in all situations and I can say it's versatile. To give you context, I mostly used it in low-light, nightclub stuff but for street photography and portraits, I would rated it highly. I also used it for a little bit of video. However, for video, it's much more work as you would expect.

Here's a recent example of it I may have posted these before, so apologies in advance. (on a Canon 6D)

Spoiler
  • Pavle, D.B. Cooper and DiGiTa_ like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

I wanted to ask a question: Can heat effect the speed of lenses like the EF50mm? Yesterday I was out shooting in Austin and it was reportedly 106 degrees out. I kept trying to focus on a car and the lens kept focusing in then out then quit. Press again, does same thing. Then eventually it got the shot. It's definitely been quite slow as of lately and that can be annoying when you want to get pictures of moving subjects.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ~Tiger~, 2 weeks ago.

Can heat effect the speed of lenses

Yes, absolutely and this is a perennial problem with DSLR camera lens which react to heat, heat haze and radiated heat as a focal source; a problem never encountered with analogue 35mm SLRs that only recognise light source.

• The7thOne likes this

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

I've never really understood the concept of landscape photography with the nifty fifty. Those two things just don't fit in the same sentence for me. It's great for portraits and stuff, though, but I've been thinking about changing mine to a 35mm so I don't have to take my photos ten meters from my subject. Thoughts?

Yeah the 50mm lenses are just so great when it comes to bang for buck. They're so cheap and can be very sharp and give nice results for the price. For low light, portraits and shallow DOF, they are fantastic but for landscapes, I wouldn't even consider a 50mm. I would use it, if that's all I had and I have been in that situation where it's all I had and I'm guessing that's why most people would use them for landscape: necessity/no choice. 

Up until recently I've been using a 40mm pancake as my main lens. It's priced slightly more than the 50 but it's very sharp and you can get wonderful results. It gives you all the fun benefits of a 50mm but the extra 10mm is so worth the 40 or 50 bucks extra. Using it exclusively as my main lens, it forced me to make the best of it in all situations and I can say it's versatile. To give you context, I mostly used it in low-light, nightclub stuff but for street photography and portraits, I would rated it highly. I also used it for a little bit of video. However, for video, it's much more work as you would expect.

Here's a recent example of it I may have posted these before, so apologies in advance. (on a Canon 6D)

Gig photos for Rubberbandits? Nice. 

How come 40mm rather than the much more common 35mm?

• Mister Pink likes this

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

I usually don't take pics like these, mostly cos I'm a lazy sh*t, so here's a few of my favorites:

IMG_20170803_210706_967.jpg

2aff737f39a5360426abb9c0f1aa9c96.png

87e45e8561aec812764ffd569096e967.png

deff0a1a20f4c149a39395d98f5976c3.png

7ab7294a6c0aa85bb4a3dd6a52981372.png

*odd sizes cos taken from my instagram

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, A week ago.

Gig photos for Rubberbandits? Nice. 

How come 40mm rather than the much more common 35mm?

You know who they are, thanks man. :)

I just seen it for sale secondhand and it was in perfect condition. I was also curious to try a "pancake" lens. I actually haven't come across many 35mm to be honest. You did mean 35mm prime? 

Cheat
  • Cheat

HiiiPower

• The Connection
  • None

Posted A week ago

tumblr_oumvzyCtVx1qey3foo1_540.jpg

• Mister Pink, Pavle, The7thOne and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users