Photo

Care and Feeding of a San Andreas Impound Garage

187 replies to this topic
pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Sucha84 @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 22:18)
After I save the game without watching the vehicle that has impounded, does it save safely inside the impound and can be accessed later? I mean let think, I successfully impounded a vehicle near Broadway. So that it must be impounded nearest police garage. So I don't search it whether it's there and just save the game by guessing it is safely there?

Yes, you can assume it is there. There are several special cases, with in-mission spawned vehicles, these need to be put into normal garage first. (Normal garages sort of "reset" vehicles)

After reloading the game, and in anytime of the game, can I take it back safely?

After reloading, yes. But keep in mind, every impound can keep only 3 vehicles. If it has all 3 already inside, next time the oldest vehicle will get overwritten. And many storyline missions are sending your cars into the impound. Generally if, after cutscene, the vehicle you have been using, is no longer there, you can assume it is in the impound now.
So, if you are, say, doing San Fierro's part of the storyline, if you want to put something into the impound for an extended period of time, it is better idea to use the impound in LS or LV, as impound in SF will be constantly geting new vehicles, overwriting the oldest ones.

Also let think, I search it and then realized it's safely there. So I left it out as it is and escape from another vehicle like I do for normal garages. Will it still be there anytime or once I search it and left it out, it will be vanished forever?

If you don't want the imponded cars to be discarded, you'd need to get out of the impound the way you got in - looking in the direction of the impound zone untill you are on the street level.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

Thanks. When I see it, I found that my vehicle is there with another random spawned vehicle. I need one vehicle to be impounded until I unlock SF because of lack of garage space. There is another problem for me to enter impounded garage without getting wanted stars. It's not that difficult if I don't need to see the direction of vehicle. But when I go with looking at the direction, two cops on the left hand corner are shooting at me and I can't look backwards because I miss the sight of direction. So what is the actual distance that I must look at the impounded vehicles. I need only look at the direction before I pass the ramp or should I look all the way to the impound garage.

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Sucha84 @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 06:51)
Thanks. When I see it, I found that my vehicle is there with another random spawned vehicle. I need one vehicle to be impounded until  I unlock SF because of lack of garage space.

Depends how many missions you have left. If you suspect that two new cars have beend imponded already, just take out your vehicle, then send it there once more, so it is again in the first "slot"

There is another problem for me to enter impounded garage without getting wanted stars. It's not that difficult if I don't need to see the direction of vehicle. But when I go with looking at the direction, two cops on the left hand corner are shooting at me and I can't look backwards because I miss the sight of direction. So what is the actual distance that I must look at the impounded vehicles. I need only look at the direction before I pass the ramp or should I look all the way to the impound garage.

Down the ramp, and then some more. Generally, if you are next to wall opposite to the impound zone, you can safely look around. On the first page of this thread, there is a picture, posted by Orion, where he sketched the exact boundaries of discarding zone.
However, if all I want to do, is to remove the only car I have in an impound, I just accept three stars, and head to the nearest Pay'n'Spray.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks. Now I have familiar with impounded vehicles except avoiding 3 stars. However, I think there is not mentioned the clearing distance for a storyline missions.

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Sucha84 @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 13:02)
However, I think there is not mentioned the clearing distance for a storyline missions.

What do you mean?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:54 PM Edited by OrionSR, 08 February 2012 - 05:37 PM.

However, I think there is not mentioned the clearing distance for a storyline missions.

You are correct. No one has put in the effort to track which story missions are likely to impound a vehicle or made notes of the clear area radius. After all, there are an awful lot of missions, and they are often full of multiple clear area commands. I have some experience with the game scripts and still can't make heads or tails of what going on most of the time. Documenting all of them would be a daunting task.

BTW, I can't confirm observations from pomor and others that sometimes cars from random traffic or parked nearby will get impounded even if CJ has never driven them. For me this glitch is very rare so I have been unable to make enough observations to formulate a hypothesis on the matter.

Whoops, that should have been "can confirm."

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:46 AM Edited by Sucha84, 09 February 2012 - 03:55 AM.

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 23:54)
You are correct. No one has put in the effort to track which story missions are likely to impound a vehicle or made notes of the clear area radius. After all, there are an awful lot of missions, and they are often full of multiple clear area commands. I have some experience with the game scripts and still can't make heads or tails of what going on most of the time. Documenting all of them would be a daunting task.

BTW, I can't confirm observations from pomor and others that sometimes cars from random traffic or parked nearby will get impounded even if CJ has never driven them. For me this glitch is very rare so I have been unable to make enough observations to formulate a hypothesis on the matter.

For me, there was always a random vehicle with my impounded vehicle in garage. I think impounding vehicle trick is better and more safer for one vehicle without getting a risk of discarding. As you said on first post Ambulance and Firetruck always is immune to be discarded. No matter how I change my view.

Update: I have a doubt whether most storyline missions transfer CJ's vehicles to police garage. I think mission Wu Zi Mu and Farewell, My Love don't clear vehicle that I use. For me there are many more missions which they don't clear my vehicle. I hope there are only few storyline missions that clear CJ's vehicle. Also looks like Buglary mission near Boxville spawning point at Los Santos is also not clear CJ's vehicle.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have a problem that after I transferred 2 vehicles in the same impound garage, how can I get one vehicle out of there without discarding other. I need to look at garage's direction but I am already in a vehicle. It's not as easy as going on foot. Is it the way that using mouse to look at garage's direction while in the vehicle.

For an example, Let say, I have a Savanna and Romero in an impounded garage. I need to get Romero but at the same time I need Savanna to be there. So I carefully come to impounded garage as usual and get in Romero. So should I use mouse to the garage's direction while I drive Romero and leave the garage like the way I came there?

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Sucha84 @ Saturday, Feb 11 2012, 09:23)
So I carefully come to impounded garage as usual and get in Romero. So should I use mouse to the garage's direction while I drive Romero and leave the garage like the way I came there?

Exacty that. Yes, it may be difficult. And any police attention, when you are trying to drvie out of the Impound, while facing backwards, makes is very annoying. That's why, in cases like that, I prefere to get into Impound without triggering 3-star wanted level.
Also, it is a good idea to remove randomly spawned car from the impounding area, before taking out your first vehicle.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Thanks. Is there anyway to enter the impound without triggering the 3 star wanted level. I tried so many times but still couldn't get it. However, I sometimes I can get only 2 star wanted level. But still it's annoying. Silenced pistol doesn't work.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:08 PM Edited by OrionSR, 11 February 2012 - 12:22 PM.

If you have two vehicles in the impound garage and want to take out one, first enter the car that will remain in the impound garage. This should prevent it from being discarded when you drive away unless the door closes and opens again. This will also refresh the car's timer so it is the most recent vehicle in the garage, although you should be clearing out any unwanted vehicles before leaving anyway.

Rather than trying too hard to avoid the wanted level in the LS impound you could work with it. Know where the police trigger zones spit out traps so you can avoid them. Then head to the gully (right, right, and right again) for a fairly safe route to the pay'n'spray.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Saturday, Feb 11 2012, 12:08)
If you have two vehicles in the impound garage and want to take out one, first enter the car that will remain in the impound garage. This should prevent it from being discarded when you drive away unless the door closes and opens again. This will also refresh the car's timer so it is the most recent vehicle in the garage, although you should be clearing out any unwanted vehicles before leaving anyway.

Rather than trying too hard to avoid the wanted level in the LS impound you could work with it. Know where the police trigger zones spit out traps so you can avoid them. Then head to the gully (right, right, and right again) for a fairly safe route to the pay'n'spray.

Nice one. Is that mean I don't need to look into the garage's direction after I 1st enter the vehicle to be there and drive away with other vehicle that I need? Also I have noticed that if one cop is going to ring cellphone, he is invincible while he is calling for help. Is that right? How I shoot him, he doesn't die until phone conversation is over.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Wednesday, Dec 26 2007, 13:21)
Here's an interesting observation I made last night: The only vehicles that are eaten when CJ looks away are the vehicles spawned by the impound zone when the zone/door opens. Random spawns within the zone, vehicles placed or spawned in the impound zone, or impounded vehicles that CJ has entered don't disappear. 

To be honest, it's been a long time since I have experimented with the impound garages so I am having some trouble remembering the details. I had a vague memory that entering the vehicle would prevent it from being discarded so I searched through my posts in this topic until I found the note quoted above. Perhaps these observations are important enough that they should be included in the initial post.

So, based on these early observation notes, I would argue that you can safely drive away from a car that has been entered without worrying about it being discarded. However, you should probably run a few tests to be sure.

Yes, pedestrians are often immune to damage, or at least dying, while they are locked in an animation. I can't remember the details on the police calling in the alarm from the impound lot, but what you describe isn't surprising, and sounds vaguely familiar.

Sucha84, there is no need to quote the entire text from the immediately preceding post.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Thanks. You are correct in deed. The vehicle is not discarded although I don't look at there if I first enter it and then escape with other. I tested it. So I can get both of them. SO thanks for the tip. Also What is the problem with SF impound. Looks to me, it's very much similar to the LS impound. But I didn't test with it.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

SF Impound Notes

The main problem with the SF impound is that without a jetpack, it is impossible to enter the underground garage without opening and closing the impound zone before you are able to approach the vehicles. There are 6 random parked cars within the impound zone and any that spawn may replace your impounded vehicles when the zone closes. Also, care must once again be used to keep the impound zone in view when exiting the garage if you have vehicles stored that you want to keep.

A secondary problem with the SF impound garage is that impounded bikes and motorcycles will spawn above the ceiling and can't be retrieved. However, I believe they spawn outside of the impound zone and won't be stored when the zone closes, so they shouldn't effect the the maximum limit of 3 vehicles in the garage.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks. I understood. So it is better to don't use SF impound rather than taking any risks. LS impound works very fine for me.

Our lord Steve Jobs
  • Our lord Steve Jobs

• Members

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

This beta mission was supposed to explain this.

Krawk
  • Krawk

Peon

• Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

For purposes of updating the bulletproof guide, could someone test and confirm for me if the impound lots, preferably LS will hold a Packer correctly? My concern mostly is height but there could be others. More specifically if someone doesn't want to mess with wall-clipping cheats to park one in the Verdant Hangar and doesn't want to use the entire Doherty garage for just this vehicle, they could park it in an impound lot until it can safely be moved.
Sure I could load the game, go to an impound, spawn one rather than find one, etc etc etc

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

"Does the Pope sh*t in the Woods?"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

A weird thing happened to me when I was going for the Gold Medals at the Driving School, for some reason doing the "The '90'" impounded me a Burglary Van at the SFPD impound, which replaced a EP/FP rustler I had there. As I'm going for to keep some special vehicles I didn't want to loose that one so I went back on a previous save and took out one of the vehicles from that impound so that the Burglary Van would be impounded instead on a available spot there, instead of replacing one of the vehicles.
The funny thing was that afterward I completed the "The '90'" agin and it didn't impound it.
Now my question is, could this only happen at certain times of the day with this mission, or is it something that only happens from time to time?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:10 PM Edited by OrionSR, 27 May 2013 - 07:13 PM.

Very little is known about the impound glitch where apparently random active vehicles get impounded, other than it exists. My experiments indicate that the unexpected impounds can be from traffic (Enforcer) or a car generator (Leviathan), but the vehicle must still be within the radius specified by the clear area command. The effects of the glitch appear random and are fairly rare.

My current hypothesis is that unused slots for the player's most recent 2 vehicles are left at index 0 and the vehicles that get impounded are located in slot 0 of the car pool, but I'm not sure how to test this idea. Or maybe the slot that was the player's recent car is now filled by something else and the game can't tell. The only thing I can think of that might help is to make sure CJ has two recent and active vehicles that are both outside of the impound radius.

But the most practical suggestion is to be aware of the glitch and always check the garages to be sure your precious vehicles didn't get replaced. Playing the rarity of the glitch is probably more productive than trying to manage it. But any observations you'd care to make would be appreciated.

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yeah I guess you are right when you say this glitch seems to be random, I've have been trying to workaround it but with no sucess at this point, the only way I found possible is to just let an available place at the impound before I resume the driving school.
I tried to see if saving again on top of the save that gave me the error would resolve it (thinking that might be the hour that makes the glitch), no sucess at all, but no big worries I have all the saves until that point now I'll just have to spent some time reorganizing the garages so that there an open space at the impound.
It's just that I really wasn't expecting this, since I've even been running to the missions to avoid vehicles to be impounded.
Anyways I will sooner or later have to ditch some of the vehicles in order to keep other unique so some of the "Gray Imports" converted vehicles will have to be replaced.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Try this: Make sure there is lots of traffic around. Enter 2 vehicles in the Doherty garage but leave them there, then try the driving school again. Getting two vehicles to persist out of range of the driving school's clear area radius seems impossible, but maybe it would help if the game knew that the last two vehicles have been removed by the garage.

There is some concern the glitch is engine dependent. It's been noted on the most common v1 executables but I have no data on an officially patched v1.0 or v2+.

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:19 PM Edited by fnxrak, 28 May 2013 - 12:55 PM.

HA HA HA it was even worse it replaced me all 3 vehicles in the impound. biggrin.gif
It was briliant idea though, I don't get it why it doesn't work. Thanks anyway, I'll manage it somehow. No worries. tounge.gif
###Edit###
Damn it the stupid schools are really becoming a nightmare for me, now the boat school also impounds vehicles to SF, sometimes only the maverick at the heliport other times, replaces the 3 vehicels there by stupid vehicles and soem boats.
I guess the best way to do this is just having an aircraft at the impound, in my case the EP/FP hydra, keep the rustler on Doherty for a while, and everytime I go there do one of the challenges take the hydra from the impound take to the bay entering the school and hope for the hydra to be impounded as well. That or just cross my fingers and hope to impound just one vehicle and afterwards after the challenge remove it from the impound. DAMN angry.gif
Now I'm thinking how am I going to do the Bike School if this also happens in LV it's going to be hell devil.gif taking the vehicles from there at this point is a "beach ball"

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (fnxrak @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 00:19)
Now I'm thinking how am I going to do the Bike School if this also happens in LV it's going to be hell  devil.gif   taking the vehicles from there at this point is a "beach ball"

You bet. I experienced the same glitch a couple of times:
http://www.gtaforums...entry1061032933
I am glad someone else have seen this as well, I started to doubt my own mind, with Orion thinking I am seeing things and all smile.gif
I cherished some hopes that it could be possible to snatch a Hydra out of the sky right into the impound, but it is too unpredictable.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:04 PM Edited by OrionSR, 31 May 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Interesting idea on the hydra snatch. I was thinking it wouldn't work due to the whole mission vehicle thing, but I suppose if an Enforcer can get randomly impounded then so can a Hydra, or Andromada, although it might only appear in the garage when viewed with a garage editor.

Another thought, totally untested: If entering vehicles in the garage makes the glitch worse, what about a restart of the game (not a new save but Quit and run the executable again)?

And yeah, I didn't believe you at first but too much evidence is hard to deny, eventually I got the same glitch myself, and it pops up occasionally in the saves I monitor regularly, but I don't know why or how to stop it.

Do I need to update the early posts to reflect this information?

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well it's like I said before, I got around this, the Boat School I went there by snatching the hydra from the impound and having all other vehicles stored in other places.
The Bike School was little more, let's called, "tricky" I flew from LS (also in an atempt to keep my progress with barbara) and landed near the building that looks like Rockstar Headquarters, then went walking to the bike school avoiding the cops (for me LV is still closed) then did the challenges no other vehicles were impounded. On the other hand if I landed near the school the shamal I used would be impounded even if I blew it up.
That's another thing I have been able to avoid some impounds when doing some mission by ditching the vehicles I use to get there in the water, blowing them up wouldn't work at least in some occasions.

typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:22 PM Edited by typicalgamer, 24 June 2013 - 12:37 PM.

I don't see strange things happening in impounds too often(BTW, I'm on PC). Most of the time, if I go to the bottom level of the LV police impound, all I see is a few cop cars. Though last time I found two Dumpers there.
Is it normal?

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Friday, Dec 28 2007, 16:25)

Here's is a screenshot of the LS impound zone with 3 vehicles. This image shows where the vehicles spawn in the LS impound zone, and the random spawn that tends to confuse things. I sketched a rough zone boundary. Basically, it's everything on the other side of that pillar on the right.
user posted image

The image below shows the basic structure of the LS impound lot. The impound zone is marked on the left, but the vehicles are not visible as CJ is outside of the door radius. I also marked a rough boundary for the door open and close radii, and the discard radius. I didn't extend the radii too far to the right as the line seems to be more curved than I expected.
user posted image

When you enter the impound lot using the ramp marked on the right side of the image, the impound zone will be located to CJ right. Hold look-right until CJ is at the bottom of the ramp and has started the 1st turn. By then the impound zone will still be roughly "in view", but I still tend to aim my camera a bit to the right as I approach the final turn towards the impound zone. This is when I tend to flirt with that 2 second grace period. Flicking the camera in the direction of the zone once per second seems to do the trick. It's not too difficult to stay close enough to the impound zone that the door does not close and that random spawn doesn't replace one of the impounded vehicles.

I have never been able to use the impound garage, is it working on PS2 (v1)? I can't even find the garage. That means, I do know exactly where it is supposed to be, but that area seems to work just like any other area and does not behave like a garage. There seems to be no invisible door closing when I walk to the opposite end of the area. The random cars there are visible no matter how far away CJ is.

I always find random spawns there, never the last vehicle CJ used.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Yes. The impound lots work pretty much the same on all versions, which is really quirky. I think the only important difference for PS2v1 is that the boat school doesn't have a "clear area" command associated with the mission.

It often takes a while to learn all the quirks to working an impound garage. Start with vehicles that tend not to disappear, like firetrucks, aircraft, or vortex. Make sure the "last vehicle driven" is impounded using a mission; there are several to choose from. And all that non-sense about hugging the walls and looking through the walls at vehicle spawn isn't superstition.

Frenzzy
  • Frenzzy

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

In my game, in the San Fierro impound lot, there are 2 planes (rustlers, I think -- don't know when they got impounded) but they are stuck to each other as well as to the ground. Is it a glitch or just happens randomly with planes? They don't even move. And when I destroyed them, the wrecks disappeared instantly. What's the reason behind this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users