Care and Feeding of a San Andreas Impound Garage

187 replies to this topic
buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

I'm bumping this because I made some interesting observations: When you enter a bike in the SF impound on the PS2, it doesn't even show up! Also, the cars in the San Fierro Impound sometimes duplicate each other. confused.gif The aircraft spawns are spawning glitches.

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, the SF impound is problematic. It has something to do with the garage coords not lining up with the physical space (AFAIR bikes respawn in the roof?). It is also very difficult to approach while keeping vehicles "in view", so cars and bikes most likely disappear before you can get to them.
Some attempts were made to fix it on PC with modded saves, but I don't know if any fixes has been attempted for PS2.
The duplicates happens because there's normal random spawns within the garage space.

My experience is that the SF impound works well with aircraft, it also has the widest door so the smaller airplanes can be taxied out.
It also works with the Beagle and Shamal, but those are going to be hard to get back out.

The LS impound also works fairly well with aircraft ( - Cargobob ), but due to the smaller door I've only tried it with helis and the Stuntplane (all of those come out without much pain)

buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (GTA Phreak @ Oct 3 2010, 07:52)
Yeah, the SF impound is problematic. It has something to do with the garage coords not lining up with the physical space (AFAIR bikes respawn in the roof?). It is also very difficult to approach while keeping vehicles "in view", so cars and bikes most likely disappear before you can get to them.
Some attempts were made to fix it on PC with modded saves, but I don't know if any fixes has been attempted for PS2.
The duplicates happens because there's normal random spawns within the garage space.

My experience is that the SF impound works well with aircraft, it also has the widest door so the smaller airplanes can be taxied out.
It also works with the Beagle and Shamal, but those are going to be hard to get back out.

The LS impound also works fairly well with aircraft ( - Cargobob ), but due to the smaller door I've only tried it with helis and the Stuntplane (all of those come out without much pain)

Is there a way to avoid the duplications in that impound? I would like to know?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:39 AM

Vehicles in the impound garages do not "duplicate" themselves. However, there are 6 random parked car generators within the impound zone which might make it appear that vehicles are being duplicated. The likely scenario is:

You approach the impound garage and a few random cars appear within the parking stalls. As you enter the impound garage the impound zone activates and the contents are generated. As you work your way through the underground garage the impound zone will close and any randomly generated vehicles will be stored. The impound zone will open again as you approach and the contents may appear to be random, or duplicates.

Parachuting or flying into the area of the impound lots seems to reduce the chances that random vehicles will spawn. Other methods would include memory hacking with something like AR-Max and probably aren't worth the trouble. It is also possible to change the coordinates of the impound zone with cheat device codes, or editing the save. Again, it's probably not worth the trouble.

buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

I also noticed that saving sometimes affects the impound in San Fierro. How do I know? I went down once and there was a blue Tahoma with hydraulics. Weird. confused.gif

buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Dec 28 2007, 03:10)
QUOTE (AceOfDeath666 @ Dec 27 2007, 16:00)
why does the Hydra spawn in the garages?

The aircraft don't vanish the way most other vehicles do, so I would suspect people might notice them in the impound garages frequently, especially if they were not careful to keep the zone "in view" while descending into the impound lot and let the rest of the vehicle disappear. Also, large vehicles occasionally displace other vehicles in the garage.

How the Hydra got in there in the 1st place I'm not so sure. My 1st guess would be that a Hydra was used shortly before starting a flight school lesson and so it ended up in the LV impound, but I haven't checked this mission yet. Or maybe a Hydra was used for fast transport to the boat school and CJ bailed out and destroyed the Hydra, but started the lessons before the wreck could disappear so it was impounded at the SF impound. To be honest, I'm not really sure which vehicles tend to end up in the impound lots during missions. I was able to identify a few side missions that impound vehicles on the save I was working with, but I just figured this out a few days ago, and haven't had a chance to check the impound garages during normal game play.

I ran a few more tests on the Dune. Maybe it's only at LV, but the dumb thing always spawn in as invisible and won't appear until CJ bumps it. Actually, shooting it might help, I didn't try. The other thing I noticed is that all the boats were invisible - again, this was in LV. CJ could hop in and start the boats and he'd disappear until he exited. But when I checked on the SF impound lot for the chain game today, I found 2 Marquis visible in the impound. So... more weirdness to track down I guess.

I checked quite a few vehicles hoping to find something useful that wouldn't vanish too quickly - like the Vortex. The best vehicle I could find was the firetruck; the SA version with the hose, not the ladder version. The Ambulance also didn't vanish when CJ didn't watch it. Other than that, just aircraft. I didn't try everything but I came pretty close. I definitely covered all the vehicle classes and couldn't find a reliable pattern. I also tried everything unusual, and everything I like, just to be sure. No luck.

Two things.
1. The Hydra is a glitch.
2. Where do you park your vehicles at the Boating School to impound them? I tried with a Marquis and an Admiral. But both just sat there and would not vanish!

buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Also I need a breakdown.
I would like to know whcih side missions impound vehicles in: LS
SF
LV. I know of Pimping, Driving, Bike, and Pilot School.

buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

I'm sorry for bringing this back up and those triple posts before this. Where do I park my vehicles at the boat school to impound them? I've impound boats with the driving school.
I've tried the AT-400, but it won't spawn.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Impounding Side Missions
  • Pimping - radius 30.0 around Idlewood Broadway spawn
  • Lowrider Game - radius 200.0 around Unity? (untested)
  • Export Ship - radius 9.0 imp, 20.0 exp, not the exported vehicle
  • Trucking - radius 30.0/50/100 (different subroutines) at the RS Haul Asset (untested)
  • Driving School - radius 300.0
  • Quarry - radius 1000.0 around quarry asset
  • Boat School - radius 1000.0 around Boat School
  • Bike School - radius 300.0 around school
  • Flight School - radius 300/500 (untested)
  • Triathlons - radius 1000001.0 around... doesn't matter
Other Impounders
  • Emerald Isle Car Park (change floors or leave building)

It shouldn't matter where you park vehicles at the boat school. Anywhere within 1000 meters of the school should work. Perhaps the vehicle size is preventing it from spawning, which is probably the case with the AT-400. The SF garage is particularly finicky about spawning vehicles. Bikes end up stuck in the ceiling, many vehicles get stuck in the floor. I don't see why driving school would impound vehicles that the boat school won't.

buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Jan 22 2011, 18:40)
Impounding Side Missions

• Pimping - radius 30.0 around Idlewood Broadway spawn

• Lowrider Game - radius 200.0 around Unity? (untested)

• Export Ship - radius 9.0 imp, 20.0 exp, not the exported vehicle

• Trucking - radius 30.0/50/100 (different subroutines) at the RS Haul Asset (untested)

• Driving School - radius 300.0

• Quarry - radius 1000.0 around quarry asset

• Boat School - radius 1000.0 around Boat School

• Bike School - radius 300.0 around school

• Flight School - radius 300/500 (untested)

• Triathlons - radius 1000001.0 around... doesn't matter

Other Impounders

• Emerald Isle Car Park (change floors or leave building)

It shouldn't matter where you park vehicles at the boat school. Anywhere within 1000 meters of the school should work. Perhaps the vehicle size is preventing it from spawning, which is probably the case with the AT-400. The SF garage is particularly finicky about spawning vehicles. Bikes end up stuck in the ceiling, many vehicles get stuck in the floor. I don't see why driving school would impound vehicles that the boat school won't.

Actually they won't vanish at all. I guess Boat school impounding only works for PC?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

Well then... You appear to be correct. I just looked through the PS2 scripts and the clear area command of the boat school is missing in both v1 and v2. However, no information is currently available for the Xbox version so... not on PS2, possibly PC only. Are any of the other impounding submission providing unexpected results on PS2?

buginafug
  • buginafug

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:12 AM Edited by buginafug, 25 February 2011 - 12:56 AM.

Do random vehicles on the road get impounded by the driving school? I use it for impound vehicles in San Fierro.
I've tried some boat impounding lately and it worked out pretty good. The exception I've came across was the Tropic.
Edit: It DOES work with the Tropic.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

No. Random road vehicles don't get impounded. However, there are 6 random parked vehicle generators within the SF impound zone, and it is possible that 3 or 4 might spawn at one time and replace everything in that impound garage. The LS impound garage also has several parked car generators within it's boundaries, but the LV impound garage doesn't suffer from this issue. Unfortunately, the layout of the SF garage makes it impractical to keep the random cars out because the invisible door can't be keep open or shut while entering the impound lot. Careful navigation of the LS garage can avoid accidentally impounding randomly generated parked cars.

Several people have argued that some other vehicles do get impounded. I can't prove them wrong, and they haven't offered a convincing argument that they are correct, so I guess the issue is still open. Perhaps there are other methods for vehicles to be impounded, but I doubt it.

majorhawke
  • majorhawke

The living-dead Kennedy's

• Members

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

This is so awesome! thanks for posting!! colgate.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Bumping old topics:
DO NOT bump old topics if you've nothing substantial to contribute to them.
Unnecessary bumping of topics will result in warnings
"Pat-on-the-Back" posts aren't considered as Substantial.

UbErPwNaGe
  • UbErPwNaGe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

i went to do that with a car i went to put a car mannually in it but instead my cam glitched and it never turned when i reversed and in the delete radii and the car i was in vanished so i was driving an invisible car. sereously. it was a car with NO body or NO wheels. and when i pressed enter (to get out) my game crashed! square circle triangle X square circle triangle triangle R1 R2 R1 L2 L1 right down select up L1

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:23 PM Edited by pomor, 21 January 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Orion, are you still around?
QUOTE (OrionSR @ Wednesday, Feb 23 2011, 04:37)

Several people have argued that some other vehicles do get impounded. I can't prove them wrong, and they haven't offered a convincing argument that they are correct, so I guess the issue is still open. Perhaps there are other methods for vehicles to be impounded, but I doubt it.

First save is before bike school. In LV Impound there is EP Mule and EP/FP Pony
Link: http://gtasnp.com/29148
The second is just after I have gone to SF naval base, collected Police Maverick, and used it to get to LV, to get golds at the bike school, then returned to SF, without going even near LV Impound.
Link: http://gtasnp.com/29149
In that one, LV impound got Leviathan, of all things, added.

I experienced similar stuff during earlier playthrough . But this time, seeing Leviathan there, it was real WTF.

Now, I realise it's not absolutely convincing argument, it is just my word, I could put Leviathan there in a number of ways. However, if you load the first save, and complete bike school (try to not get all golds at first try), you should get some random vehicles in LV impound as well.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:10 PM Edited by OrionSR, 23 January 2012 - 01:42 AM.

Yeah, I'm still around, but I don't play much anymore. However, I did run a few tests but was unable to repeat your results. (No luck on the gangwar block either BTW.)

Just to be clear, the EP Mule and EP/FP Pony were cars you impounded for safe keeping, right?

I'm curious about how you are disposing of the vehicle used to get to LV in a way that you hope will not impound the vehicle. I'm wondering if somehow a new vehicle spawn is replacing a wrecked or discarded vehicle as CJ's most recent vehicle (same index in the game memory car pool or something). Anyway, please tell me how you get to LV and what happens to any vehicles CJ has entered so I can more closely repeat your experiment.

I doubt any vehicles spawned during missions will get impounded. I suspect the unusual impounded vehicles you are seeing are created by parked car generators. There is a Leviathan spawn in view of the bike school. and a Marquis close to the boat school, so this would fit with your observations.

Added: BTW, I believe you are reporting your observations accurately. It never occurred to me that you would do something deceptive like place a vehicle in the impound and claim it got there randomly. I hope my comments about a "convincing argument" were not taken as an insult.

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:49 AM Edited by pomor, 23 January 2012 - 01:53 AM.

Glad to hear from you! I was afraid that I scared you away sly.gif
QUOTE (OrionSR @ Sunday, Jan 22 2012, 23:10)
(No luck on the gangwar block either BTW.)

I start to think I overestimated how long I waited for the timeout. Anyway, I have put it on hold, no discernible patterns, and it was geting boring.

Just to be clear, the EP Mule and EP/FP Pony were cars you impounded for safe keeping, right?

Right. It was long ago, they have already been there, on that gang wars savefiles I sent you. Only Laviathan was out of place.

I'm curious about how you are disposing of the vehicle used to get to LV in a way that you hope will not impound the vehicle. I'm wondering if somehow a new vehicle spawn is replacing a wrecked or discarded vehicle as CJ's most recent vehicle (same index in the game memory car pool or something). Anyway, please tell me how you get to LV and what happens to any vehicles CJ has entered so I can more closely repeat your experiment.

Detialed, that is:
After going out of the savehouse, I got Hotknife (I think it was Hotknife, that only thing I'm not certain), drove to the Airport, exchanged Hotknife for Maverick there. Landed on the Aicraft Carrier (I guess you are famliar with chopper catching spot there), spend some time untill managed to grab Police Maverick (weird thing, I seemd unable to turn off the searchlight). Crashlanded beside bike school. Jumped by FBI from all around, I sprinted into the school. Completed all tests. CJ spawned back in the school, wanted level was temporarily removed, then got back 4 stars. I started the school once more, as there were three tests I got only silver on. Several tests latter, I run out of the school, grab FCR 900, the only bike spawned, drive away a little, return for NRG 500. Use NRG to get to the airport, take Shamal, fly to SF, jump into water near Import/Export crane, get NRG 500 there, let the challange side mission timeout, while going for PnS, then drive to the save house.

I think, the only important thing is to go for the school in the wanted level spawned chopper. If memory serves, it was you who established that they are not impoundable, if not put into some normal garage first.
Then again, I did not use such a chopper to get to the boat school.

PS. I realise I should try to look into scripts myself, instead of bothering you. Its just... There was once a game I liked very much. The Freelancer. Then I lernt too much about scripts, and stuff, and I cannot unlern it now. It is no fun to play it anymore, I see too many patterns, in NPC behaviour, etc.
I am trying to avoid it with GTA suicidal.gif

EDIT: I am not that thin skinned wink.gif

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (pomor @ Monday, Jan 23 2012, 02:49)

I think, the only important thing is to go for the school in the wanted level spawned chopper. If memory serves, it was you who established that they are not impoundable, if not put into some normal garage first.

Umm, - I think it was me that first noticed that jacked News and Police helicopters wouldn't auto impound.
They behave a bit weird until they've been normalized in a garage. So it wouldn't surprise me if they caused random vehicles to get impounded in their place.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

I actually don't have much experience with jacking Police Mavericks. I've done it only a handful of times. I have a vague memory of trying to paint a PolMav in an enlarged pay'n'spray. I can't remember if it worked or not. Anyway, if there is a particularly good location/method/video for jacking one, please point me in the correct direction. All I can remember is a Phreak video in the Marina district of LS, and something about the SFNB bunker roof.

I have my doubts that this could be a factor though, partially because this method wasn't used to impound the Marquis' at the boat school to the SF garage, but mostly because I suspect the jacked PolMav will be treated like all the other mission vehicles, which never get impounded.

Is pomor the only skilled impounder to report random vehicles in the impound garages?

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

You can try Demon Reacher's method:

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

For reference only this topic contains a lot of Topics on getting mavericks:
UCV Black Maverick, Easiest Way To Obtain

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (GTA Phreak @ Monday, Jan 23 2012, 21:24)
Umm, - I think it was me that first noticed that jacked News and Police helicopters wouldn't auto impound.

Ow, sorry. It seems I tend to mix you and Orion, maybe because you both post interesting stuff.

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Monday, Jan 23 2012, 22:14)
Anyway, if there is a particularly good location/method/video for jacking one, please point me in the correct direction.

I meant the spot from Phreak's link. I lernt it from that video, but I did not remember its author.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (pomor @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 05:30)
Ow, sorry. It seems I tend to mix you and Orion, maybe because you both post interesting stuff.

I consider being confused with Phreak a huge complement.

PS. I realise I should try to look into scripts myself, instead of bothering you.

Not to worry. Looking into the scripts is very unlikely to provide any useful clues to this mystery. The schools provide the Clear Area command that impounds CJ's vehicles, but everything else is handled by the executable.

When I ran my test with the jacked PolMav it did not get impounded or cleared. It remained in the bike school's testing area where I left it.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:46 PM Edited by lil weasel, 06 February 2012 - 11:09 PM.

<<< MERGED: 'New' Topic to Existing Topic of same subject. >>>

I have read this post which describes the usage of police garages. After I park my vehicle(Say Savanna) just near Broadway, I started pimping mission and canceled it. Then As usual Savanna disappeared. I thought it will be gone to the police Garage at Los Santos. But when I go there on foot by killing 2 front gate officers and 4 officers inside garage, No vehicle is there. I mean Savanna is not there. I tried few more attempts, but still couldn't transfer to police garage. I am sure no problem with the clearing distance for pimping mission. So what has went wrong?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Have you checked out This topic by OrionSR, that tells in great detail how to do this...? This should help a lot more than that video you posted... smile.gif

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Sorry I have mistakenly posted a wrong link which was a video that I just saw. Actually the needed link was the exactly same as yours. I have read it already. But there is something wrong because I can't get my vehicle from it.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

When you enter the impound lot you must keep looking in the direction of the impound zone where the impounded cars appear or the will vanish. Also, be sure to keep the invisible door open or random cars might replace your special vehicle. However, this is all explained in detail in the impound topic.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 20:36)
When you enter the impound lot you must keep looking in the direction of the impound zone where the impounded cars appear or the will vanish. Also, be sure to keep the invisible door open or random cars might replace your special vehicle. However, this is all explained in detail in the impound topic.

Thanks. Finally I recovered my vehicle from impound. But one more question. After I save the game without watching the vehicle that has impounded, does it save safely inside the impound and can be accessed later? I mean let think, I successfully impounded a vehicle near Broadway. So that it must be impounded nearest police garage. So I don't search it whether it's there and just save the game by guessing it is safely there? After reloading the game, and in anytime of the game, can I take it back safely?

Also let think, I search it and then realized it's safely there. So I left it out as it is and escape from another vehicle like I do for normal garages. Will it still be there anytime or once I search it and left it out, it will be vanished forever?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users