Photo

Does anybody know anything about...

8 replies to this topic
SteakPhish
  • SteakPhish

Colonel Skawizow

• Members

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:45 AM

I know it's a bit of an odd question, but I'm planning on getting two tattoos on the palm side of my wrists. I was planning on putting "Eros" in ancient greek letters on the left, "Thanatos" the same way on the right. The problem is I have no idea how those words translate into ancient greek, and online I've found multiple interpretations for Eros and zilch on Thanatos.

I found this but I don't know if its as cut and dry as porting over the english letter to its greek equivalent. Can anybody shed some light on this?

*Word*
  • *Word*

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:49 AM Edited by *Word*, 05 December 2007 - 07:55 AM.

Why do you want to get tattoos of some words which you have no idea what they mean?
I do admit however, some tatts written in Greek would look pretty good if done correctly.

PS. Eros is the greek god of love, or means love
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eros

Thanatos appears to be the emodiment of death and mortality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanatos

So in theory, you're tattoo's which have some significant meaning: Love & Death

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:54 AM

Ask if someone knows about the Greek Cyrillic alphabet, which I'm sure they used. Or was that introduced only when they became Orthodox...

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

Cyrillic and Greek alphabets are entirely different things. This would have been written in the old Greek script, which to my knowledge is not all that different to modern one. Eros is spelled with Epsilon, Rho, Omega, and Sigma. Thanatos is probably Theta, Alpha, Nu, Alpha, Tau, Omega, Sigma.

Eros is one of the proto-gods in Theogony. Him and Gaia are the first children of Chaos. And he is really more of a god of intercourse and sexual reproduction rather than love.

Thanatos is, indeed, a personification of Death.

SteakPhish
  • SteakPhish

Colonel Skawizow

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:52 AM Edited by SteakPhish, 10 December 2007 - 07:55 AM.

QUOTE (*Word* @ Dec 5 2007, 01:49)
Why do you want to get tattoos of some words which you have no idea what they mean?
I do admit however, some tatts written in Greek would look pretty good if done correctly.

PS. Eros is the greek god of love, or means love
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eros

Thanatos appears to be the emodiment of death and mortality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanatos

So in theory, you're tattoo's which have some significant meaning: Love & Death

I know, way late on responding, but...

I didn't mean I didn't know what the words meant (startling coincidence I'd pick 2 random names and they end up meaning love and death, eh?), I meant I didn't know what they would translate to in ancient greek spelling. Still, as is apparent, I might have to just pick the one I find to be the most widely accepted, since I don't think there is one "correct" way of spelling it.

Side note: Freud theorized that all humans have to sides to them which he expressed as "Eros and Thanatos" (or libido and mortido, if you want). Eros drives your decision making skills involving sex and self preservation, while Thanatos was more or less the part of you that wanted to do dangerous and / or reckless things in the hope of dying and returning to the state of before you were born. Ah...the subconscious....

XBOXLOVER
  • XBOXLOVER

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:53 AM

No no I don't.

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (XBOXLOVER @ Dec 10 2007, 08:53)
No no I don't.

Thanks! If you don't know anything, then don't click reply.

ceedot
  • ceedot

Zeestar.

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

Thanatos also means large, as in muscular.

drozle
  • drozle

Big D

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

wow.gif ...about what?They could write?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users