5,576 replies to this topic
OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

Players used to post stats at the end of the round. You could look through some old data and see how things stack up.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:03 PM Edited by OrionSR, 07 April 2017 - 09:03 PM.

CG 117 Robot: http://gtasnp.com/8v56Sb

This is a test save for round 117. When we get a few screenshots of Robot's car and the colors look pretty much the same for everyone then JAJ has the starter save for the next round.

This save loads with a 4-star wanted level at the LV air races. The idea is to find 123Robot's new car and escape the city. Please grab a screenshot showing the default color (no painting allowed) and something like, traffic on bridges without barriers, Truth's crops, or the YKBB factory as this will verify the edits are working for your version. Please report you IPL version (which barriers you usually see).

Gx7E1l3l.jpg

123robot
  • 123robot

Dodo Pilot Expert

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:39 PM Edited by 123robot, 07 April 2017 - 09:40 PM.

Ah yes, my car is coming. This'll be my new favourite round.  :D Hopefully you all make good use of my lovely new car in round 117. See, it's all pink and vibrant and everything, it's great. :lol: We went through a lot of different colours but this was the most consistent one that I liked, so let's hope it works out. I took pictures of everything as you said to make sure everything's working - as we've learned, my version is the downgraded one that I thought was V1 but was actually secretly V2 or something in disguise, because barriers didn't show up for me in the last round where they only showed up for V1 players.

http://imgur.com/a/TvC99

The pictures show that my car colour matches, Truth's crops are there, there are no barriers, and the YKBB factory is fully intact. Of course, we should also get some examples from V1 players and such too to make sure everything works across the board, if there are any volunteers.  :pp

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

Special Vehicle Collector

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

I have V1, I could give it a try if I find some spare time.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [The Chain Game]

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

I gave the starter save a go and found no barriers. The Truth's crop was there and the YKBB area was solid. I did not know where to find 123robot's car and did not find it. I have V1.

Username.gta
  • Username.gta

[Formerly Gary-X]

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Yeah everything is good on my end.

No barriers, Truth's crops and the drug lab are all there.

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

Special Vehicle Collector

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:28 AM

I tried the save and it works. But I heard some somewhere that a few phone calls are removed, so I'm worried. Is this true?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Yeah. I didn't work on that part but both pdescobar and rubregg left notes for me in the script. It looks like it's just the Jethro calls.

//PDE/CG20: Interiors and Features
// Bike & Boat School and part of Driving School; copied from cellphone thread
// Note that Driving School won't actually start until after Wear Flowers in Your Hair.
// Thread is explicitly ended first, just in case. The cell call should be disabled.

//RBR/CG37: Both cell calls (schools and racing) have to be disabled,
//          otherwise threads will get duped or races can't be triggered

DREVIL919
  • DREVIL919

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

If Fooking Rekt has been banned, how can someone else post a save from a banned player?????

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Lennart does everything FR tells him to do, basically.  They talk on WhatsApp or something outside of the Forum.  Wherever one goes, the other follows.

I saw that he posted for FR and was wondering why and how that happened...

Mitsuha
  • Mitsuha

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

Hello guys, I would like to participate in the Chain Game again. Is it possible for me to participate if I'm playing GTA:SA on Steam?

Thanks.

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Hi. :) I wanted to take a turn after a long time of not playing and I could load the chain game save but only with V1 scripts. Is it normal? As far as I know, V2 scripts have always been a requirement, but now my game crashes whenever I try to load the save with them. I figured I might as well ask before taking a turn & possibly making a mistake.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I haven't been active in a long time.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Yeah. the save got converted to v1 on the very first turn. I PMed JAJ and Dr Evil recommending that they simply convert it (don't convert IPL) back to v2 when downloading from SnP, but... I didn't see anything suggesting this was done on purpose, so I don't see why you couldn't make the conversion as you start your turn.

Fooking
  • Fooking

you fooking w0t m9?

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Are glitches, like duping safehouses & consequently being able to do races or school stuff with a time of 0 seconds, allowed?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:53 PM Edited by OrionSR, 05 July 2017 - 01:55 PM.

"Glitches" are not allowed, but exploits are often encouraged. It's the results rather than the action that's prohibited. It's my understanding that duping a safehouse will add extra mission progress. IMHO, that should not be allowed. We're shooting for 100% at End of the Line, not 101%. I don't have a problem with exploits that produce unusual stats like a 0 second lesson time as long as you've got a no-cheat/mod/edit explanation for it.

• lil weasel likes this

Fooking
  • Fooking

you fooking w0t m9?

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:27 PM Edited by Fooking, 05 July 2017 - 02:30 PM.

After 100% progress is not added, so duoing a safehouse will give you 100% earlier, but it won't exceed 100%.

By starting a courier asset mission with OM0, and then buying a property, the timer will remain on screen (and the property will dupe & Chinatown will be unlocked if not bought before). While the timer is there, any race or test that has been completed will have a time of 0 seconds (and afaik it will be Gold unless you receive damage bonus)

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

We've got a glitch.

Mission: New Model Army/NRG-500
Called by: lol232
Link: http://gtasnp.com/9hMjcv
Completion %: 48.66%
Notes:
Acquired Zero's RC Shop asset
Saved at the Doherty Garage

Although I appreciate lol232 converting the save back to v2 scripts like it ought to be, SnP's IPL conversion has added v2 bridge barriers blocking off LV. If you chose not to revert the save the glitch can be avoided if a v2 player completes YKBB. Or, another IPL conversion will probably remove the barriers. SnP uses mission progress to convert IPL rather than flipping the flags from one version to another. Neither strategy will work with the hybrid IPL flags set in the custom Chain Game saves.

The custom CG saves are designed to work with v2 scripts and should never be converted during rounds. V1 players should swap in v2 scripts to take turns in the Chain Game. For your own use, SnP's script conversion works very well. Just don't convert the IPLs. The current save works well with either version, and there are version specific independent saves for previous starter saves.

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

What was the story behind Angel Pine getting "residential rich" population, and Palomino becoming "shopping posh"? The houses don't look anywhere near that posh. It is a relief playing the current V1 save and not experience crashes when I forget to swap the scripts and swap them back again.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:50 AM Edited by OrionSR, 04 September 2017 - 04:55 AM.

As the Handover approached, wealthy families in Hong Kong started moving in large numbers to Angel Pine and Palomino Creek, drawn by the relatively low property values, but more importantly, low property taxes. Modest looking houses help keep taxes low; residents tend to invest more on interior modifications. Unregulated growth has led to conflicts when negotiating contracts with larger communities for basic services. Law enforcement is limited to the state police; emergency response is non-existent. 

Palomino Creek supports a large arts community, and has a world class library system.

Angel Pine Public Schools has a reputation for high tech innovations in education, funded by large grants from the giants of the Foster Valley tech sector.

• VASSILY and j7n like this

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:15 PM Edited by OrionSR, 04 September 2017 - 06:18 PM.

On a more serious note, the CG zone modifications were often basic experiments with interesting results. The save documentation and CG mods went hand in hand. We'd discover stuff in the save file, look for ways to link that with examples from scripting and memory, and try to tweak things here or there to produce interesting results. Sometimes we tended to mess with stuff because we could and worried about should later.

Angel Pine, Palomino Creek, and several of the small desert towns were primarily designed to spawn the rare Hispanic dealer. We didn't want to mess with standard zones and alter the balance of game play too much, so small towns were a decent choice. We needed gangs in the zones for dealers to spawn and had to pick a city zone type so the gang members could spawn. The rural gang zones were also intended as seed zones for spreading gangs in remote areas but I don't think anyone's been quite so creative with a CG saves.

The Hispanic Dealer doesn't spawn without tweaking the mysterious pedestrian setting. I learned through experimentation that a setting of 4 usually triggered the Hispanic dealer but I didn't know why. When a lot of zone types have a setting of 4 not many peds spawn. The zone types we chose seemed to offer the best set of peds for the purpose.

Years later, just within the last few months actually, another investigation into the Hispanic dealer was launched. We finally figured out the rules for the pedestrian Ethnicity setting. These are bit flags. A bit value of 1 enables the Black pedestrians with a B as the first letter. A value of 2 enables White pedestrians. A value of 4 enables asian pedestrians with "O" or "I" as the first letter. And a value of 8 enables the Hispanic pedestrians - H, I think. Add them all together and you get a total of 15, the setting for all ethnic groups enabled.

Note: I've been promoting the use of the terms Ethnic or Ethnicity over Race in the description of this field, and using Asian in an effort to avoid the term Oriental in the interest of cultural sensitivity. Other documentation may vary.

A setting of 4 in the CG towns means they have asian only peds - hence the on the fly backstory of the Handover (1997). This was not intentional or all that obvious until I went back to look at the towns. The Hispanic dealers only spawn if both Black and White peds are disabled, so I could try a Hispanic only (8) or Asian and Hispanic (12) setting to see if the peds and cars were better or to fit a theme. Overall, I've been quite pleased with the results of this long-term experiment.

• VASSILY and j7n like this

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

I wanted to make a possible contribution to the Chain Game. It could be added or combined to an upcoming round.

If not, then no big deal.

About 10 years ago I made a suggestion for the Chain Game to change the locations of the Horseshoes, Photo Ops, Oysters, and Gang Tags. The idea was turned down because SAMA has no way of detecting the new locations of any of those items. It can only show their original locations, which would make it more difficult to locate them.

Since that time, GTASnP.com has added a map which now shows the locations of the Horseshoes, Photo Ops, and Oysters. It will even show the correct locations of those items even if they've been relocated through modding. However, it still will not show the relocated locations for the Gang Tags.

I created a couple of mods:

1) The first mod was pretty simple: I relocated all of the Horseshoes, Photo Ops, and Oysters. Nothing more.

It's been pretty popular. There have been over 370 downloads of it since I uploaded it 4 months ago.

I tried to keep true to the original spirit of the game, so here's what I did:
a) All Horseshoes are located in areas that are in and around the gambling community.
b) All Oysters are located in water somehow.
c) All Snapshots are of eye-catching items and scenery, and they're scattered throughout the game in locked areas, not just San Fierro.

Here's the map: http://gtasnp.com/map/wgKKob

2) For the 2nd mod I gave it a "Dark" theme. CJ is wearing all-black. A few of the vehicle spawns are all-black.

1) All Horseshoes are located in areas that are in and around San Fierro, not Las Venturas. There are 75 total.

2) All Oysters are located in water somehow.

3) All Snapshots are of eye-catching items and scenery, and they're scattered throughout the game in Las Venturas and The Desert, not San Fierro.

4) All but 6 of the Gang Tags have been relocated to different areas of the game, not Los Santos. There are 120 total, including several San Fierro Rifa Gang Tags.

The rewards for the Unique Stunt Jumps indicate the following:

$69 = I created the Stunt Jump myself (29 total)

$100 = OrionSR created the Stunt Jump from the original Chain Game (16 total)

$500 = This is for any original unmodified Stunt Jump

I created 94 new locations for the Gang Tags. The 6 Gang Tags used in the mission "Tagging up Turf" are still in their original locations.

ilir created 20 locations for the Rifa Gang Tags. Here's a link for his mod: http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=21954

Here's the map http://gtasnp.com/map/wnKRl6

Here's the link for Version 2 http://gtasnp.com/map/jW2fjJ

I can supply the main.scm and .ipl files that I modified.

• OrionSR likes this

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:43 PM Edited by OrionSR, 17 September 2017 - 02:14 AM.

I'm enthusiastic about the basic concept, even without reviewing the specifics of your modifications. I doubt we will have many conflicts about the "spirit" of the mods, but we should consult to resolve issues with CG mods and game limitations.

Off hand, I'd say the tag modifications will be the most difficult to implement under the current Chain Game rules. If we're going for an IPL mod round though I want to get my Armory Objects implemented for once.

Are you modifying your saves using modified mains and data files? That's awesome. Few people follow this path but I found it to be an extremely educational and rewarding experience. However, we learned a few valuable lessons. Your experience may be different but I want to share anyway.

Our modified maps folders rapidly became difficult to manage. That's probably less of an issue if it's just you, but still a lot of work. Everything is scattered in dozens of files in different folders. 

Testing with modified data files led to significant differences in the player experience. That Bayside Armory doesn't glitch with a modified entry, for example. After getting into serious trouble with the original warps locking after a food dates we resolved to perform all tests on an unmodified installations (multiple installs is seldom a concern anymore though). 

Saves created with modified mains always seemed to be less stable for more people than saves we created with standard mains. It's a vague issue that led to reduced confidence in quality of the starter save, which was always a top priority. So when rubregg and I teamed up on CG development we converted everything we had from the modified mains to cleo. The basic strategy is, let the game do whatever it does without any changes, then dump all the jumps and cargens and replace them with ours.

I'd be happy to show you our scripts and explain how the modification work. If we were going to implement your mods I'd prefer to go that route anyway. Or, I'm working on a strategy to make large scale changes to the save using scripts and templates of the 010 Editor. You modifications might be a good test for this new strategy. The old strategy would be quicker to implement and hold it's own education value.

Arker
  • Arker

Player Hater

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

hi, im new here and i have a question: duping isnt allowed according to Fooking Rekt post, so is om0 stuff allowed?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

OM0 exploits are allowed but they may not introduce new glitches. I doubt I could list all of the possible issues to avoid, but in general, avoid any strategy that adds additional story progress, skips missions or leaves stray blips on the map. 

DREVIL919
  • DREVIL919

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

On my last turn in Chain Game I was doing Firefighter side mission and on level 11 the cars spawned around Richmon. I got 1 of the 3 but the rest weren't visible. All i could see was the marker on the map but no burning vehicle. They appeared to be in the same location as a house. I had over 12 minutes remaining and used it all trying to find the vehicles. Did it over and all was fine the second time. Any thoughts?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

This is outside of my experience, but I appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind. Can you be more precise on the location?

I had a lot more trouble with inaccessible targets in Vice City. I remember frequent issues with peds inside of the locked police interior. As I recall, it was possible to kill the targets by poking a flame thrower through the wall.

Fire can often kill things behind walls. I'm not sure about gas. It seems to do slow damage and has a larger area of effect. 

DREVIL919
  • DREVIL919

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Don't know what I did, but I got the scripts to change on JAJ's save and put the barriers back in. Just did a jealous girlfriend snatch of Barbara's rancher and the barriers were back up when I got to Santa Maria. Can someone fix JAJ's save and change the scripts to V2. The save woln't load (JAJ's) for me. Sorry guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users