» «
Photo

Lounge for The Chain Game: San Andreas

5,117 replies to this topic
lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:41 PM Edited by lil weasel, 27 May 2013 - 04:07 PM.

You're too late. The game has already continued.

I would suggest that the Player doing the "Key to her Heart" mission post if the Key Card was obtained or not. I believe everyone presumed it was.
I also suggest that "Key Card Acquired" be added to the 100% check list.

And, possibly the removal of the "Burglary" sub-mission and the "Beat the Cock" since neither are required for the 100% completion.

Stromae
  • Stromae

ceci n'est pas une leçon

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062573656

user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't see the purpose of it being in the "San Andreas" Forums let alone the Mission Help "Chain Game".

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

16 5 5™

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 22:53)
I don't see the purpose of it being in the "San Andreas" Forums let alone the Mission Help "Chain Game".

Oh Weasel! Not everything has a direct meaning. We'll see what this all means when the 100th round comes around. wink.gif

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 09:55)
Not everything has a direct meaning. We'll see what this all means when the 100th round comes around. wink.gif

Thanks for the support, shoumic.

Even minor changes to the CG saves requires dozens of hours to perfect, test, and manage. Creating teaser trailers to advertise our landmark round 100 also requires a lot of thought and effort. Perceived criticism is likely to dampen enthusiasm to continue the effort.

I'm surprised that the trailers haven't generated more speculation.

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:20 PM Edited by MrMateczko, 30 May 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Round 100's save will melt our brains? Literally. Also: http://www.urbandict....php?term=gloop WTF?
BTW, will be back to playing soon.

DREVIL919
  • DREVIL919

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

@MrMateczko I read that also after his first post, but I don't think that is what it means.
@lil weasel I think you will probably find out the true meaning in the 100TH round.
@OrionSR I found another engineless NRG 500, this time at Toreno's ranch at the boat house. I put it in the VM garage if you want to look at it. Here is the link to the save. http://gtasnp.com/37306

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

Such splendid timing it would be for V1.5 to be implemented upon completion of the 100th round.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

@DREVIL919. You had me worried for a while there because there isn't an NRG spawn at Toreno's ranch. You didn't notice anything else unusual about that bike? It would seem that a lot of rubregg's hidden treasures remain undiscovered 60 rounds later.

Anyone who has hazarded a guess is closer to the truth than everyone else.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:09 AM Edited by GTASAddict, 01 June 2013 - 05:16 AM.

Here's what I want to know: Why's the Chain Game held in higher regard than the other forum games?

Chain Game rule breakers get warned, banned from the game, and even banned from the forums, but this isn't the case with the other games. In addition, JAJ received an award for the Chain Game whereas the authors of these awesome games did not:

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=548703

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=458670

So basically, what makes the Chain Game so prestigious?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 05:09)
Here's what I want to know: Why's the Chain Game held in higher regard than the other forum games?
So basically, what makes the Chain Game so prestigious?

If you look closer and give more thought to it.
All the other games are just thrown together on a whim. The most complicated part of them is the 'Title' image.

The Chain Game took real computer savvy and hours of labour to assemble. And, don't forget the auxiliary work in creating, refining and hosting the Up/Down loader by Samutz and others.
Do you think JAJ, et al. just sneeze out the Chain Game.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Just to be clear, the few CG players who were banned from the forum have violated the rules of GTAForums in an effort to get around the rules of the Chain Game. You probably know the personality type; they just keep escalating until they eventually hang themselves.

In my opinion, it's the CG players that make the Chain Game so prestigious; it's the combined prestige of everyone that's ever played the Chain Game. The Chain Game tends to attract elite players. Not necessarily the most skilled or knowledgeable, but people who want to learn more about the game, people who want to help other players, people who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience. It was the CG players that made and refined the CG rules, the CG players manage the day to day flow of the game, the CG players continuously recruit more players, and CG players that maintain the checklists, game stats, FAQs, lounge, and hall of fame. The CG players have inspired the modifications to the custom CG saves. It's impossible to overstate the importance of the players to the success and prestige of the Chain Game.

Two more factors to the success of the Chain Game come to mind: The Chain Game has been very well managed by our host, JAJ. And the Chain Game is not competitive. JAJ has built and inspired a spirit of cooperation and sense of community that I haven't seen anywhere else. I've really enjoyed my time with the Chain Game, even when I'm not active, so thanks JAJ, and thank you to the CG players -- everyone that's ever played the Chain Game.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

The chain game from the start has always been a team effort. The first was getting the idea of the chain game from OrionSR, crazyanurag helped very much with proofing the first page and contributing the Supplement to the rules, Tornado Rex suggested the checklist by meth to be used. The artwork was done by CCPD.
I made up the rules from what I remembered from that chain game that OrionSR and a few others played on another forum. The rules changed as we progressed and learned things about the different interpretations of the rules by the players, suggestions were made by the players and improvements were made.
Early on pdecsobar contacted me about using a save that had modifications that would stay in the save file, several rounds were played, things about the save were learned to improve the save and the experience of the game for the players. OrionSR and pdescobar got together and things really got rockin' with the stuff in the chain game save. rubregg then started doing his magic on the save and pretty much brought the save to where it is today. There has been other contributions that have not been listed but the point is that it's been a real team effort to keep it going.
And now we have a new save to from QrionSR for the 100th round! Learn the truth in the 100th round!
Sure, there has been a few that didn't have any respect for the rules, the other players and ultimately themselves but they were few.
The biggest thing about the chain game has been the players. The players make the game rock and keep the fun in playing in the chain game.
Thanks to everyone!

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

16 5 5™

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (JAJ @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 16:47)
And now we have a new save to from QrionSR for the 100th round! Learn the truth in the 100th round!

We just needed to have something for the 100th round and I'm simply in disbelief we're getting one because I thought the good old days were over when it came to this game. Great to see Orion putting in dozens of hours into the new save and the other officers for keeping the game alive for this long!

Cant wait.

# Learn the truth in the 100th round!

Ryujin.
  • Ryujin.

First blood

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

New save? I wonder what lies in that save...
Maybe when the 100th round starts I'll return playing the CG. smile.gif

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Awesome to hear this John! I was really scared a second that this game would end!
A new save file is pretty welcome, glad to see you guys are still doing changes to it. Thanks once again for the overwhelming effort for keeping this game running smoothly. I really hope we can play this game for at least 100 more rounds, and with you guys as officers it seems all possible.

Thank you, sincerely. smile.gif

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (RyujinXKaizer @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 07:05)
New save? I wonder what lies in that save...

No 'lies', biggrin.gif Learn the truth in the 100th round! lol.gif

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

I hope you guys don't go through the 100th round as quickly as you do these days or I might not be able to get a turn in.

Great job making it this far though. Huge props to JAJ and OrionSR for their continual efforts. smile.gif

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (JAJ @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 03:47)

Yikes! The truth has me a bit nervous.

And I hope JAJ didn't promise more than I can deliver. I just got a new-to-me computer that seems more than capable of making new saves, but that's a process that takes a long time. I'm don't think I can have a new save ready by round 100. What I do have ready is a modified version of the saves we've been using. I wanted to have something special for round 100 so I bent our custom save standards a little to implement a patch with a modification I had ready a long time ago but couldn't implement with our current standards. Because the modification have been fairly well tested in the past, and the current saves are very stable, I felt comfortable having it tested by only two players, JAJ and ThaBoY. The feedback has been positive and the testers have reported a high degree of Fun Factor - so I think the CG players will enjoy this special save in round 100.

I am hoping to have a new save for round 101 to mark the beginning of a new era. Many of the changes I want to make have already been made and have had limited testing. Dr Evil and miromiro saw their new cars almost 40 rounds ago and I feel terrible that I was never able to implement the changes -- sorry guys. An update is long overdue. There are several barriers to this process however. I need a new job or I'll have a hard time making long term commitments; I'll be working on that. It would really help if I had an apprentice. It's really hard to come up with new ideas, and maintain focus and motivation when I'm working in isolation. A new save would require new documentation. rubregg was very skilled at crafting the BBCode for the topic pages and quite frankly, I'm a bit intimidated. And of course we'll need testers, lots of testers, but this usually isn't a problem. A new save doesn't really need to be secret to be fun.

And for the record, the original Chain Game at GameFAQs (round 0) was pretty much just sneezed out. I posted a starting save with the taxi mission complete and invited the mission helpers to take turns completing the game to 100% - no cheats, deaths, or arrests. This topic was ignored for a while until morgoth finally responded with something like, "Wait, what? Yeah, that sounds fun, but we would need a lot of rules to keep things organized."

BTW, I still think we should bend the rules for 1 round and allow deaths and arrests so players can collect some of the special vehicles that can't be acquired any other way. My suggestion is to require players to save after a death or arrest and post the save without making more progress.

The gloop is out there.

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Good to hear this, can't wait for the changes. As for the BBCodes, I'd be happy to help with them in case you need help at it. This is the only thing I can contribute to this, unfortunately. Just drop me a Personal Message whenever you feel the need of it. Good luck with everything man, can't wait to play on the new save! biggrin.gif

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

16 5 5™

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

There is no need to be sorry by any means. It's great that you're willing to keep developing this game even after so long. And take your time with the save, it's only that we're a little excited at the moment and why wouldn't we. But I've been playing for 20 rounds now with the other playing for even longer, I'm sure waiting wont be any problem. I would have loved to be your apprentice but I meet absolutely none of the requirements you're looking for. I could be a tester of the save though, you can shoot me a PM anytime you want.

Is there any way you can find that topic in GameFaqs? I'm talking about round 0. If you do then I'll tell ilir to put it up on the hall of fame. I'm sure it will look monumental. And I have nothing against the idea of being able to die or get arrested in obtaining special vehicles. I always wanted The Truths Proofed Camper from 'Black Project'.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

No, sorry. Round 0 occurred before GameFAQs was archiving their topics so I'm afraid it's gone forever.

For me it was the more recent addition of Tenpenny's Indestructible Ladder Truck that motivated a temporary tweak to the rules. But also, pdescobar mildly objected to the no death/arrest rule. He thought it would be interesting to get more realistic records of how people play.

Another thought, I think JAJ still has the saves from round 6, our only incomplete round that was abandoned due to the barrier glitch. I was wondering about reviving the topic and continuing the round, possibly living with the barrier glitch in place and working around the limitations to players with one version or the other.

I've got one player working on some new unique stunt jumps for the CG, or maybe just for fun. Hopefully that process will develop into the skill requirements for a collaborator.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have another question: Does anyone (namely JAJ & the forum admins/mods) profit off the Chain Game?

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hahaha nope. This is just a forum game that we keep on playing for fun, I doubt anyone gets paid for playing it. The only thing about this forum related to paying is Tank, who pays for the server (I think). Other than that, nope.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:13 AM Edited by radioman, 04 June 2013 - 08:16 AM.

Heads up, I think we have the "Traffic Glitch" in the save? As seen Here and here? I think that is the Traffic Glitch?

If we do a new save for the 100th round, I would still like to be a tester, please? I intend on being more active from this Round onwards as well smile.gif

Also, I updated my sig. for the current round as well-took the Round 61 link off-lol tounge.gif

OHDUDE
  • OHDUDE

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Maybe that is not so. I've heard that the actual glitch is something else - weird traffic behavior.

I've encountered this before while on my first playthrough.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

No worries. That looks more like the common path node glitch after the T-Bone mission. That mission sets a zone that's restricted to cars and peds around the van and then clears it after the mission, but that also clears some of the restricted nodes set up for the barricades in that area. I'm surprised that the glitch persisted past that mission though. I thought it reset the restricted path nodes when the save was reloaded. All shall be well after YKBB anyway.

The "traffic glitch" is caused by excessive game time (I haven't a clue to why though). It gets gradually worse until it's pretty noticeable around 150 hours. I doubt the Chain Game rounds will ever get that much time on the clock. There is a possibility that the really high frame rates of modern computers might accelerate the glitch though, so may as well keep an eye on it. The common symptoms are: fast moving cars will appear to jitter down the road instead of progressing smoothly, cars will disappear and respawn backwards and then try to J-turn to the forward direction (this is different from the usual cars that spawn backwards to start with), when the cars respawn backwards they occasionally merge bodies with the vehicle ahead. The merge part is pretty much a dead giveaway for the traffic glitch, but it has to get pretty bad first.

The special save for round 100 is tested and ready; it's a patched version of the saves we've been using. I'll let you know if/when I need testers for a new save, which won't be introduced until sometime after round 100. Thanks for your continued support.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Also, forgot to ask..are you guys planning on doing any more rounds of the Chain Game for IV? Just curious..

For some reason on my last turn, I had to turn the Visual FX down to Low to prevent the game from lagging..and yet, I can run IV at Medium settings with 30+ fps on this PC..I have an Intel I5 processor, 6GB DDR3 Ram, and an ATI Radeon HD 5470 w/ 1024mb dedicated vram and an Intel HD card(Switchable Grapics) and Windows 7 Home Premium and I had to play on the same settings as on my old XP Home PC with an AMD Sempron @798MHZ, 256MB ram, and an VIA/SIS Video card w/32mb vram. lol tounge2.gif What gives-I did everything just like when I play IV-the only thing I had running still was Firefox, as it never effected IV's performance, and that is a more graphic and CPU intensive game than SA is. tounge2.gif lol.gif

Thanks for the Heads up and clarification on the traffic glitch... smile.gif

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

There's a traffic speed bug on the PS2 version (commences after about 500 hours game time) where cars drive faster than the eye can blink, often conjoin with other cars, catch fire and cause the game to lag. At least now I know this isn't exclusive to the PS2.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 09:29)
For some reason on my last turn, I had to turn the Visual FX down to Low to prevent the game from lagging..[...]

I know you have a 'Real name' type mod installed in your game. But, Please, don't use 'Real' names as I expect some of our Players don't know the related Game Names, which lead to confusion.
It's also possible that your mods (if your using a moded game) might be part of your problem?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users