Lounge for The Chain Game: San Andreas

5,243 replies to this topic
MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

Winter Wrap Up!

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Of course, there's nothing prohibiting you to experiment with the independent saves. As long as you don't upload them to gtasnp.com (the hoster for the SA save files) and link them in your turn, you're absolutely fine.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

I just noticed the Chain Game Big House AK-47 yields 1,000 rounds of ammo whereas the PS2 Big House AK-47 yields 500 rounds of ammo. That leads to this question: Do the Chain Game files adhere to the Fresh Game Index VS Restart Game Index settings?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:35 AM Edited by OrionSR, 28 April 2013 - 03:36 AM.

No... well, sort of for pickups but still not really, and it depends. It's best to assume that nothing about the internal structure of the Chain Game saves is the same as any other save. There's a really good chance that mods will not be compatible, and I won't review them to find out.

Chain Game saves are always fresh start saves. The CLEO modified versions make a completely pure PCv1 start before beginning to make adjustments while CJ is standing in the alley. A lot of standard pickups are removed and replaced with others, and then a lot more are added. The car generators, jumps, and a few other structures are wiped clean or rebuilt from scratch before our customizations are made.

Two restart glitches were incorporated into the saves: the floor is always behind the smash wall at the crack palace for both versions, and the Truth's crops are visible at the beginning of the game for one version or the other.

None of this information seems the least bit useful for anything. What are you trying to do?

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

What I'm "trying to do" is mix & match, but seeing as nothing is correlating, I'm just going to halt. I was also trying to see if the PC is easy to understand, and I concluded the PS2 is much easier to understand. Do not forget, out of the 400,000+ members on this site, not everyone is as knowledgeable about these things as you, Ric-013, Skills, Skiller & EdisonCarter, so please don't be impatient or get annoyed (not saying you are) with my questions.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

Oh, yeah. Mixing and matching PC and PS2 is really tricky. PC mods are definitely easier to understand. The numbers and coding language at least looks somewhat familiar. Hex codes look like gibberish if they aren't familiar. It took me years before I could look at a 2 digit hex number and kinda-sorta have an idea (minds-eye image) of how much that was; try picturing 0x2A skittles on the table. But making changes is off-topic for the lounge. We should take the conversation to the Creation topic. You should do this though. Changing the ammo count on the codes is only a dec to hex conversion, the best place to start.

I'm a little uncomfortable appearing on the same list as EdisonCater. His work was genius. His efforts opened up the modding possibilities for PS2 in the same way that Seemann did for PC when he created CLEO.

Boris The Vodka
  • Boris The Vodka

[Y]es

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Zizo008's turn doesn't count, he completed two races along with a mission.

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

OG Loc mission

I have done this mission in chain game quite a few times. Usually I obtain Freddie's PCJ with mission fail and then I complete mission. But my problem is that everytime I do this mission in chain game, 95% of time I get crash when I kill Freddy or when I'm on my way to Burger shot with Loc. I have no crashes while obtaining PCJ though, I get crash when I kill Freddy(during cutscene or sooner when I'm on my way to Burger shot). I have no idea why this happens, is anyone willing to test it if it happens for him too? I would like to know if there's something wrong with my game, because this is very strange.
I got this crash 3 times today, firstly I obtained PCJ, saved game and then I went back to re-do the mission. I killed Freddy with drive-by on SMG near Mullholand intersection and I got crash everytime. On my 4nd try I killed him near skate park, I didn't get any crashes.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Seemed to work ok for me.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (SatournFan @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 03:51)
Zizo008's turn doesn't count, he completed two races along with a mission.

Um... we generally have a policy of forgiving the first mistake, especially from new players. An extra race isn't the kind of violation that will cause trouble down the road.

Boris The Vodka
  • Boris The Vodka

[Y]es

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Guys, feel free to end the Taxi mission.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Was doing "Lure"; as I approached the gas station a motorcycle got in front of CJ's truck and caused it to do turn-turtle. Had to restart mission. Some weird stuff is going on smile.gif

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:50 PM Edited by ThaBoY, 14 May 2013 - 02:56 PM.

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062505159

Edit:

user posted image
user posted image user posted image
user posted image

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Look's good, but could you tell me what's going on dude? What does historic event's such as these one's got to do with the Chain Game. Are we getting a new save? wow.gif

Heh, I know you're gonna say it's a secret or what not, but it was worth a shot.

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Perhaps 100th round will be the final round. cry.gif moto_whistle.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Odd thing about it is that we have to reach the 100th by going through the 96, 97, 98, and the 99 th first. smile.gif

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (0909090 @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 18:51)
Perhaps 100th round will be the final round. cry.gif   moto_whistle.gif

I hope not lol.

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 19:29)
Odd thing about it is that we have to reach the 100th by going through the 96, 97, 98, and the 99 th first. smile.gif

Perhaps you 'll find out more about this in those rounds? moto_whistle.gif

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 08:48)
Are we getting a new save?

Don't get your hopes too high. I still don't have a computer that runs SA well enough to create completely new saves. Which is sad, if nothing else, the custom plates definitely need updating for the current and long-time players, but I have a few other tweaks in mind as well.

For completely new saves I need a protégé; an establish CG player with either a lot of experience with CLEO, or training in structured programming (i.e. you had an instructor that pounded in the importance of variable tables and code documentation), and a green light from JAJ, of course. Is that you? Help me implement and test the changes I have already identified and I'll help you take the lead for future changes.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 21:07)
(i.e. you had an instructor that pounded in the importance of variable tables and code documentation)

You efficiently mentored me in these aspects. Do you think I'm adept to assist in your projects?
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=350108

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:12 PM Edited by radioman, 18 May 2013 - 09:03 PM.

I know this may be old news, but I found it kind of interesting, as I have read on here about how sometimes there is a problem with a "cheat" stat in the Chain Game save and have found another reasoning for that: After reading Rubregg's "Early side-mission.." topic, I came across a line he posted on how a "Cheat" point gets added to the stats legitimately, and that is: IF the tag in Grove St. is the LAST one you do, it *can* add a a point to the cheat stat in your stats-he said it happened to him once. Here is the quote from that topic:
In any case, make sure that this is not the last of your tags or you might end up with a cheat count in your stats. This happened to me once and I haven't tried again.

Just thought I would mention it in case there was a problem with a cheat stat on the Chain Game save, at least we will know a possible legit reason for it? lol

Also, curious: Is there 2 different variations of the 24-7 Armory in LS? As I loaded up an old Chain Game save, here, and the Armory was a lot different-ie. you had to enter the Wardrobe in order to get to the actual armory and the regular save house looked like the LV Hotel ones-lol

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:20 AM Edited by OrionSR, 19 May 2013 - 05:47 AM.

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 04:41)
QUOTE (OrionSR @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 21:07)
(i.e. you had an instructor that pounded in the importance of variable tables and code documentation)

You efficiently mentored me in these aspects. Do you think I'm adept to assist in your projects?
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=350108

It would seem that the term "variable table" has evolved significantly since I was required to use them, but that's not terribly important. What I'm looking for is:

1a) Formal instruction in writing program/script codes in any language that are designed to be read by someone else. Or,
1b) Informal experience writing and publishing CLEO scripts.

2) A Chain Game player who understands the CG rules and philosophy, and the expectations of Chain Game players.

I don't see any published CLEO mods listed in your profile. Formal instruction in programming is usually available at colleges, and probably high schools these days (I don't need to see your transcripts or anything). You seem to have a fairly good handle on the CG rules and philosophy; consider buying a gamepad to use with your PC version so you don't need to fight the controls and play a few rounds.

QUOTE (radioman)
Also, curious: Is there 2 different variations of the 24-7 Armory in LS? As I loaded up an old Chain Game save, here, and the Armory was a lot different-ie. you had to enter the Wardrobe in order to get to the actual armory and the regular save house looked like the LV Hotel ones-lol

I don't actually remember that version. But it sounds a lot like how I implemented the armories with cheat device codes for PS2. Before we figured out how to move the save disks I redirect the wardrobes to the armory and used the armory wardrobe to change clothes. On PS2 it only takes a couple line of codes to redirect an enex, but 8 lines of code to move the save disk. Since most people that use cheat device code enter them manually with a controller the shorter codes are generally preferred. Anyway, the safehouse portion is probably the Queens interior. That interior is no longer used with the CG saves because the save disk was moved to the armory. It does look a lot like an LV hotel, but more tan in color and perhaps a bit brighter.

rubregg and I discussed his concern about a glitchy last tag, but we were never able to recreate the glitch. My hypothesis is that he accidentally entered a button cheat, which is more likely than random bits getting misplaced, but that sometimes happens too.

Gym Glitch Update: The glitch has been traced to a rollover problem with the in-game calendar (values not displayed anywhere in-game). If CJ never exceeds the daily workout limit the glitch can be avoided completely. However, I've been checking the Chain Game saves and it seems that the rounds usually finish months before the new year so it's pretty unlikely that this will ever be a problem. My recommendation: don't worry about it and play as you want.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:09 PM Edited by lil weasel, 19 May 2013 - 12:35 PM.

< Some Day I will Get It Right > Reset .

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:29 PM Edited by OrionSR, 19 May 2013 - 12:35 PM.

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 05:09)
Challenges
- "The Chiliad Challenge"
- "BMX"
- "NRG-500"
These are exempt from the 'one named mission rule' and can be combined in any number with any other named mission. (Only "BMX" and "NRG-500" are named missions.)

The Chiliad challenges are not named missions and are explicitly exempt anyway. You even quoted that part. "Races" are the illegal street races available at the checkered flag icons. Challenges and Stadium events are defined differently, and are usually exempt.

Isn't 123robot a new player and afforded a little forgiveness? We should revisit this policy. IIRC, the last new player that was nailed for a minor violation never returned.

123robot
  • 123robot

Homeboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Well first of all I have played the Chain Game before although it was a long time ago, so I may have forgotten some things. I did consider that the challenges might count as races and if that was the case I would only be able to do one, however I looked at the very part that lil weasel quoted and I read it as being allowed to do them all in one go. I even checked previous Chain Games and it seemed like others had acted similarly in doing all Chiliad Challenge races along with a named mission. So therefore I thought that was enough evidence for me to think that it was fine, but I've made a mistake somewhere I apologise.

Ignore that I guess, seems the issue has been dealt with.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Whoops. Sorry robot123. I thought the named looked somewhat familiar but it didn't pop up in the recent rounds. I guess I could have checked the Hall of Fame topic. Oh Crap. You've been with us since round 29. I feel bad now. Um... welcome back. I guess I don't need to keep checking your saves. blush.gif

123robot
  • 123robot

Homeboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Haha, that's alright, thanks. I do have a tendency to come and go a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not as easily remembered. It seems I started at Round 29 and 30 then a jump to 38 and then after 42 I didn't return until 74 and then after 75 I was off again. So I'm not sure how long I'll hang around this time but hopefully I don't just stay for a month and disappear again. I at least want to be around for the big 100th chain game, although it would have felt like a bigger milestone to me if I had stayed around for the 71 chain games leading up to it. Still, that will be pretty awesome. biggrin.gif

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:02 PM Edited by 0909090, 21 May 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Armory objects I think you all overlooked that Orion posted this instruction, I had trouble getting it to work so it would be great if someone can test it too. smile.gif
EDIT: For some reason it works now wow.gif I have no idea what I have done wrong before though
user posted image
user posted image
Ped inside the armory .

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:16 PM Edited by GTASAddict, 21 May 2013 - 06:11 PM.

^
^
Hey, that's completely unfair. There are no chainsaws, vending machines or slot machines inside the PS2 Big House Armory.

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 17:16)
^
^
Hey, that's completely unfair. There are no chainsaws, vending machines or slot machines inside the PS2 Big House Armory.

I assume there aren't in the PC armory either, but a CLEO script probably made that possible.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:17 PM Edited by OrionSR, 21 May 2013 - 11:05 PM.

We could probably work a chainsaw into the PS2 Armory, but that's a low priority project for me right now. If you want to tackle the math on your own I could provide the coordinates.

The vending machines, gambling machines and tables, and video games cannot be added to the save. Well, they can be added but they won't do anything. CLEO might work, but it's the kind of thing that's beyond my skill level. These interactive objects are added through text IPL files. It's a fairly basic mod for PC players. I have no idea how these could be included in the PS2 armory without a mod chip in the PS2 and modified disks (banned discussion).

Short recap: the armory objects are the modifications we wanted to add to the save but couldn't. The mod was abandoned because technically, mods are not supposed to be used in the chain game. The posted version should avoid most of the problems we encountered (don't save near a pool player or valet watching roulette). I'm not sure if there will be a problem if the game is saved with a ped watching the other machines (slots in the image above). I always prefer to have the save completely glitch-free, but a missing valet spectator or slot player really isn't that big of a deal. Where as a missing pool player prevents CJ from playing pool. The frustrating part is that I have been unable to identify where the problem with the valet spectator is located in the save.

Follow 0909090's link for the text of the IPL file and instructions.

The Armageddon
  • The Armageddon

Zohair Irani

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Sorry for the inconvenience, I have corrected the Link to my save which now features "Dam and Blast" instead of "Fish in a Barrel" .
Now you all can continue. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users