• Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

The new round should be starting in the next few hours.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

Great to see us back up everyone; hopefully, this round will go quicker. icon14.gif

Unfortunately, I might not be able to play much over the next few weeks; my great-uncle has been diagnosed with cancer. First, it originated in the liver and has now spread to the lungs. My parents, being medical professionals, say that it is terminal, with survival chances minimal. Despite being a great-uncle, he is a grandfather figure to me, as I never met my biological grandfathers. He lives across the city, so I will be practically in and out of hospital for a while. I will try and get a turn in when I can, though.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Stefan Matovic Cvetkovic @ Jan 28 2008, 00:43)
Great to see us back up everyone; hopefully, this round will go quicker. icon14.gif

Unfortunately, I might not be able to play much over the next few weeks; my great-uncle has been diagnosed with cancer. First, it originated in the liver and has now spread to the lungs. My parents, being medical professionals, say that it is terminal, with survival chances minimal. Despite being a great-uncle, he is a grandfather figure to me, as I never met my biological grandfathers. He lives across the city, so I will be practically in and out of hospital for a while. I will try and get a turn in when I can, though.

Commiserations Stefan, that's very sad. All the best to your great-uncle.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Jan 28 2008, 21:42)
QUOTE (Stefan Matovic Cvetkovic @ Jan 28 2008, 00:43)

Commiserations Stefan, that's very sad. All the best to your great-uncle.

Thank you mate. My dad sayd we should pray that he does not suffer, because once it spreads a lot, pain can be severely bad. Anyway, thank you. It is greatly appreciated.

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

Very sad news Stefan. sad.gif I hope he doesn't have much pain and that things work out as well as they can.

It's difficult to follow up something serious like that with discussion about our essentially meaningless little game, but that is why the topic is here, so here goes. Last round, the time for 4-star gang wars didn't last very long and only one other person really gave them a big try. This time, let's try and get to Doberman quickly, and extend the time between that and Green Sabre so that there is more of a chance to do some other-city 4-star wars. Hopefully with a larger time window there will be more interest in this feature.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (pdescobar @ Jan 29 2008, 08:11)
Very sad news Stefan. sad.gif I hope he doesn't have much pain and that things work out as well as they can.

It's difficult to follow up something serious like that with discussion about our essentially meaningless little game, but that is why the topic is here, so here goes.

Thank you, mate. I really appreciate that.

As for the discussion, well, I do not really mind the discussion. He is still pian-free and living normally; he has not even had his first kemo therapy yet. So, at least he is alive.

I think I tried to do the 4-star wars in Las Venturas, but I failed miserably; I got killed all three times, so I just gave up.

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'm not on GTAForums as much now because of school exams, I haven't been on as much.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (gtamodder @ Jan 29 2008, 12:55)
I'm not on GTAForums as much now because of school exams, I haven't been on as much.
That's cool. School is the priority!

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:52 AM

Do not worry gtamodder; the Chain Game will still be here, hopefully better than ever! We all have to go through school, and like JAJ said, it is a priority, because that is what makes us who we are. Good luck at school!

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:32 PM Edited by girishb, 01 February 2008 - 09:41 AM.

This is regarding my last turn in the Chain Game where I did the mission 'Cesar Vialpando'.
I'm not sure if this has happened/been discovered before but for me, this sorta thing was the first. But I guess I've learnt a few things from it.
Anyways, here goes what happened: (the images are self-explanatory)

Attempt No. 1:
I was too dumbstruck at what I just saw and before I could capture a screenshot, the car blew up.

Attempt No. 2:
user posted image

Attempt No. 3:
user posted image

Attempt No. 4:
user posted image

In Attempt Nos. 1, 2 and 3, I simultaneously pressed '2' alongwith numpad keys. My timing was perfect and everytime, the car hopped too much sideways causing it to overturn. (or was the girl in the car too heavy?)

On Attempt No. 4, I used only the numpad keys and passed the mission quite easily.

Has anything of this sort ever happened to you? What could be the reason?
Is it becuase of pressing '2' alongwith the numpad keys?
I've always pressed '2' while doing this mission and never did the car overturn. This was the first time this happened.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

That's awesome. You must have some serious hydraulics on that car!

On a serious note, no, never seen anything like that before, but I play on PS2; maybe you're right and it's something to do with your numpad pressing.

I have seen, more than once, a point where you go in three different directions in quick succession and the car almost flips, but never all the way.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Jan 30 2008, 23:33)
That's awesome. You must have some serious hydraulics on that car!

Oh, I forgot to add that apart from the default hydraulics that's already installed in the car for this mission, I didn't modify the car at all at the Low Loco Mod Shop. I always think it's a waste of money at the start of a new game.

On a serious note, no, never seen anything like that before, but I play on PS2; maybe you're right and it's something to do with your numpad pressing.

I pressed '2' alongwith the numpad keys. On PC, '2' is the default key for hopping.
What's the default key for hopping on PS2? Have you ever tried pressing the default hopping key alongwith the directional keys for this mission?

I have seen, more than once, a point where you go in three different directions in quick succession and the car almost flips, but never all the way.

The car overturned when I had to do quick hops sideways (left and right only). Also, every time, my timing was in the 'Good' zone.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

Default for hopping on PS2 is R3, I think. Worth remembering in a Broadway, as that's also the key to start Pimping/Vigilante etc missions, messed that up many a time...

Never tried hopping at the same time; sounds a bit suicidal, to be honest. I'd imagine you'd get results like yours pretty much every time. I can't remember ever having had a problem with this mission, maybe it's just easier with a joystick? I know I find the dancing harder, and it's same principle, but pressing buttons instead.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:26 PM Edited by girishb, 30 January 2008 - 06:29 PM.

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Jan 30 2008, 23:48)
Default for hopping on PS2 is R3, I think. Worth remembering in a Broadway, as that's also the key to start Pimping/Vigilante etc missions, messed that up many a time...

Never tried hopping at the same time; sounds a bit suicidal, to be honest. I'd imagine you'd get results like yours pretty much every time. I can't remember ever having had a problem with this mission, maybe it's just easier with a joystick? I know I find the dancing harder, and it's same principle, but pressing buttons instead.

Why not try pressing R3 alongwith the directional keys and see if you get the same result? I'd love it if you try and report back with the results. It'd give a better perspective to this thing and also help us to find out whether or not this kind of thing is platform specific.

Dancing doesn't require hopping, right? It's done using only the directional keys. So, there's not much we can experiment with.
Besides, this isn't a problem. I've also noticed that the scoring gets much faster if I press '2' and I end up with a pretty good score than the one I get by just pressing the numpad keys.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

No, you're right about the dancing, but I meant that hydraulic movements on PS2 (except hopping) are done with a mini-joystick, which I think might be easier than pressing buttons. Dancing on PS2 is still done with buttons, and it's a lot harder (for me anyway). I'll try it out tonight, and let you know.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

I have never tried doing the lowrider missions with the hopping button; I never actually knew that you could be able to do that.

@girishb: Like Struff said, that is awesome. You say that you have always done that whilst doing that mission; perhaps this time, without thinking, you pressed the buttons a little harder then you would have thought. Sometimes the pressure of the button will determine how an action is presented; especially in this game.

By the way, girishb, do you happen to have a new keyboard? Is your keyboard different from the one which you partook in the mission last time?

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (Stefan Matovic Cvetkovic @ Jan 31 2008, 02:25)
By the way, girishb, do you happen to have a new keyboard? Is your keyboard different from the one which you partook in the mission last time?

Nope. It's the same keyboard. I'm just thinking that my timing was better this time. But I wasn't bad earlier either. It really makes me wonder why the car had to flip this time, and not just once but thrice.

jrj58
  • jrj58

*Lock & Load*

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Jan 30 2008, 12:32)
the car hpped too much sideways causing it to overturn. (or was the girl in the car too heavy?)

See what happens when you let fat chicks in your car. sarcasm.gif

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:24 AM

Just wanted to ask:

I'm on PS2, so can't join, but I'm really intrigued by this idea. Are there any criteria you use to decide how much you play every time you take a turn? If you get busted/wasted, do you just carry on, or reload and start your turn again? What about things like mission stats? Sorry to bombard with questions, but obviously everyone who joins in is pretty good at the game from what I can tell, and I want to compare the way I play to other people's strategies.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Feb 1 2008, 15:54)
I'm on PS2, so can't join, but I'm really intrigued by this idea. Are there any criteria you use to decide how much you play every time you take a turn? If you get busted/wasted, do you just carry on, or reload and start your turn again? What about things like mission stats? Sorry to bombard with questions, but obviously everyone who joins in is pretty good at the game from what I can tell, and I want to compare the way I play to other people's strategies.

The extent of the turn depends on the player. However, there are certain rules like only one mission per turn, one street race if you do a named mission, three street races if you don't do a named mission and so on. The no. of side missions that you can do in a single turn isn't fixed. You can do as many as you want as long as you complete them within the allotted 3 hours per turn.

Getting busted/wasted isn't advised and previously, we asked players to refrain from saving the game if you get bested/wasted. However, if you've gone through the details of the Chain Game round (take a look at the one in progress), you'll find that OrionSR has come up with a solution for this i.e. if you get wasted/busted, you'll respawn at the hospital/police station alright, but you won't be able to move unless you re-load the game and start over again. These are called as Wasted/Busted traps. So, it's like kinda forcing the player not to save after getting wasted/busted. This done to keep the stats clean.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

It really depends on the player, but the average turn usually consists of a named mission, a street race, and a few odd jobs or so. It also depends on the time limits. Take me for example; half my turns are taken in the morning before school, so I do not usually do as much then as for when I take a turn on the week-end.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

Cool, thanks guys.

I'm considering buying the game for PC just so I can have a pop at this. Any other real advantages over PS2, other than the obvious modding capabilities?

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Feb 1 2008, 16:17)
I'm considering buying the game for PC just so I can have a pop at this. Any other real advantages over PS2, other than the obvious modding capabilities?

Well, you've mentioned it. Modding. That's all.
But I'd definitely recommend buying it for the PC. No matter what platform, it's always going to be worth every penny. smile.gif

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

Well, I can tell you based on experience that the PC is worth it; I have it on both PS2 and PC. Me myself, I do not use mods, yet overall the game is much more cleaner and smoother on the PC. The controls are generally easier, plus you can control them to your liking. The graphics, depending on your graphics card, that is, are quite good, and much better than those on the PS2. The sound can be kicking if you wear headphones, plus you can listen to the User Track Player; simply copy and paste your music files into the folder, and you can listen to your I Pod/MP3 player whilst driving. I would recommend it. biggrin.gif

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (Stefan Matovic Cvetkovic @ Feb 1 2008, 12:10)
User Track Player

Aha. That'd be a definite plus for me. There are some great stations and tracks on SA, but some more flexibility would be nice. Especially since you mentioned the Cream track on PC, Stefan.

Off-topic a bit, and I hope no-one minds, but am I right in thinking SA is the first GTA game with real licensed songs? And will R* continue this for GTA IV? Maybe I should make a new topic for this... confused.gif

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Feb 1 2008, 08:58)
Off-topic a bit, and I hope no-one minds, but am I right in thinking SA is the first GTA game with real licensed songs? And will R* continue this for GTA IV? Maybe I should make a new topic for this... confused.gif

I hate to do it but I am going to have to ask you to take the GTA IV chat somewhere else if it continues. I dont mind this question and members can answer it, but please if you want to ask questions about GTA IV take it to the IV forums.

This topic was mainley created as a lounge and free descussion area for Chain Game players and future Chain Game players. So I would put you under the Future Chain Game Players one so go ahead and use the topic but just keep the IV questions in the IV forums please.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Fair enough. Didn't really mean to move into IV with that question, it just sort of happened, sorry!

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thats fine.

Well this round seems to be moving at a faster pace then round 24. Thank god, that was all most unbearable.

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:49 AM

Since it is the weekend, I should be able to get a turn, and yesterday I saw my brother modded SA Incorrectly and it froze on the loading screen, but this is fixed now. And he didn't make backups.

Usually if I take a turn in the weekdays (school days) I can just take a quick turn because of exams, like a 30 minuite turn.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:33 AM

I'll be busy tomorrow afternoon, so I probley wont be around much tomorrow morning, or afternoon but I should be around in the evening and I'll get a turn in then hopefully.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users