New contact field?

6 replies to this topic
SWEETSAPRIK
  • SWEETSAPRIK

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown
  • Sourest Member

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:18 PM Edited by Sweets, 28 October 2007 - 03:23 PM.

This idea has been brought up in the past, though (to my knowledge) there were never any real reasons against it. In the past there have been other lines in that section, integrity messenger for example, or later the IRC bit which was there until it stopped correctly linking to registered GTANet IRC nicks.

The idea is to add one more section, only with two fields, one for your nick/account name, another with the client/service. This would allow people to add an IRC/xfire/gtalk/etc. contact to their profile. Admittedly they could just add it to some other part of their profile, so it's not like there's a huge need, but (IMO) there's really no less of one than there was the IRC field, and I liked that, and I know quite a few people used it.

I just thought that since GTANet has it's own IRC channel/network an IRC bit would make sense. Since GTANet is a network focused on gaming xfire would make sense. At the very least those two means of communication seem to make more sense (or be more relevant anyway) than some of the existing contact sections.

Obviously if I'm the only one that thinks this is a good idea, or if it would be some unbelievable hassle (coding wise) then ignore/lock it.

(edit)
Duh, this should probably be in suggestions. My bad. blush.gif

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• None

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

I'll briefly explain what happened to the IRC profile field.

To stop people from putting down nicks of people that weren't actually them (could imagine that being confusing) they had to verify their nickserv password and their GTANet password to be able to 'link' the two accounts..

Problem with that is IRC services use a funky flatfile database, but can periodically dump to a MySQL database, but IRC uses totally different servers anyway. So we linked the two up via a series of HTTP requests, but then we moved IRC services to a different server - that has no web server running on it, nor MySQL. So it broke, and didn't get fixed, then got hidden.

I'd like to bring it back though, without all the checks going on, just a disclaimer that people might put down an IRC nick that isn't theirs (if for some reason they're stupid?). Also tempted to bring in some ajax (hover over the medal to the left <-- to see what I mean by ajax, without going into the technicality of it all) and link it upto whether or not said user is online on IRC or not, easily done without adding load to the GTANet server. Just a thought.

As for XFire and whatnot, I don't know how many people here use it - I know lots of people use MSN but choose not to publicise their address in their profile (myself included), I could see the same happening with any chat service really.

SWEETSAPRIK
  • SWEETSAPRIK

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown
  • Sourest Member

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

The ajax thing sounds like a pretty hot sh*t idea, I'd love to see something like that. I agree about the number of people actually using xfire, google talk, etc. Though I can't say I know many people that still use ICQ. As for not making your contact details public, that I completely understand. Honestly, until like five minutes ago I had all my details hidden.

Either way, thanks for the response. (and the move)

Felle
  • Felle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

I really like the idea of the 'ajax', seems like a nice function.

About the nickname thing on IRC it just seems to me that you've gotta be pretty much a lowlife to fill in someone else's nick, what could you possibly achieve out of doing it..? Anyway, most ppl (like me) have same nick on IRC as on forums like here, which would make it a bit easier.

As said, sounds real nice. smile.gif

Gotshadow
  • Gotshadow

RD loves me.

• The Connection

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:10 AM

I was actually thinking somewhat of the same thing the other day. I was thinking, ICQ, I rarely see anyone with information in there, so why not change this to gmail, or back to the IRC one.

Hearing about the ajax thing, it sounds like a really awesome idea.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:32 AM Edited by Sixdust, 31 October 2007 - 02:49 AM.

I agree, we need to do a little updating, we just changed servers, and the staff has been doing some great work so far (Speed is great) But since updates are occurring, why not add something more current? There have been many topics about it, including one by me, consider it guys? Ajax script is pretty sweet and great for speeding up the page load, something appreciated on all ends.

Also, I am just curious as to what this is for:
<input type='hidden' name='auth_key' value='d57fbe8c486a7842a0d6e56f75d7dd30' />

What is this authorization key for? Or is this something that is not supposed to be spread around? My mistake if it is, though, it is viewable with a right click. Either way its just curiosity.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

Sixdust: It is to avoid off site scripts can attempt to login, such as bots, etc. It requires that you give a specific string every time performing a task, if this string does not match, your request is ignored.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users