Karma Question

51 replies to this topic
Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

My karma seems to have disappeared. Just wondering why. I'd grown rather attached to that little star.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Make it double!

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:35 AM

It looks like everyone with less than 5 stars lost it completely, and 5 stars got a medal. Which is funny because the people with 5 stars are typically the ones who got it for no reason.

Zak.
  • Zak.

slippi

• The Connection

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (TEoS @ Oct 22 2007, 16:35)
It looks like everyone with less than 5 stars lost it completely, and 5 stars got a medal. Which is funny because the people with 5 stars are typically the ones who got it for no reason.

The sh*tty thing is all the warnings are still logged, which means it's a double lose.

Speaking of warnings, jesus christ, i'm lucky to still be here.

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:58 AM

Some members have single karma star, maybe it will be fixed.

TenaciousD.
  • TenaciousD.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:04 AM

Pretty much, anyone with 5 karma gets changed to a single karma star. I assume people with old karma can keep helping out the community and when they reach 5 commendations they will reach a nice shiny karma star.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (CCPD @ Oct 22 2007, 19:58)

From what I can tell, people that used to have five now have one and the medal in their profile. Not sure if that's the actual cutoff or not.

(edit)
Beaten.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (Sweets @ Oct 22 2007, 19:06)

From what I can tell, people that used to have five now have one and the medal in their profile. Not sure if that's the actual cutoff or not.

(edit)
Beaten.

Here's the answer. The new system is being polished right now.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (CCPD @ Oct 22 2007, 18:58)

Thanks captain obvious. tounge.gif

Well, I like the whole awards things much better than the karma but its missing something. monocle.gif

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (anuj @ Oct 22 2007, 18:49)
QUOTE (Sweets @ Oct 22 2007, 19:06)

(edit)
Beaten.

Here's the answer. The new system is being polished right now.

user posted image

Well, just to bring it to attention... That could just be my browser being screwy.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:16 AM

Can I just get a cat loaf instead?
catloaf_by_anuj.gif

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Oct 22 2007, 23:16)
Well, just to bring it to attention... That could just be my browser being screwy.

I think it might be. I don't see that in Firefox or IE, on any of the three skins I've tried. (GTANet 2k4, GTANet 2k4 lite, or GTA3.com)

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (Sweets @ Oct 22 2007, 21:25)
QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Oct 22 2007, 23:16)

I think it might be. I don't see that in Firefox or IE, on any of the three skins I've tried. (GTANet 2k4, GTANet 2k4 lite, or GTA3.com)

Yeah, seems to be just a fluke, probably all the "new" images replacing cached stuff.

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:22 AM

Does this mean that the members who had four karma stars will receive one of them back if they get one more commendation since that would mean they have five just like the others who had five and now have one?

Confusing, yes I know.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (ya mum @ Oct 23 2007, 17:22)
Does this mean that the members who had four karma stars will receive one of them back if they get one more commendation since that would mean they have five just like the others who had five and now have one?

No, sorry.

We can't issue karma stars at all.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to give people awards based on previous actions, or only things done from this point on?

I'll give some examples. I've probably only reported like three or four people's topics as being extremely beneficial. (As compared to all the ones I reported for sucking.) The ones that come to mind are:

GTAForums.com -> San Andreas aerial maps
These pics are still on his site if you follow the links, and are used all the time, they're even on the GTA:SA wikipedia page.

GTAForums.com -> Vehicle Database
Vehicle databases already existed, but most used pics of much lower quality, and once Ottae made this one I didn't have to link people to somewhere other than GTAF.

GTAForums.com -> Vehicle Stats
Incredibly helpful topic, and I still link people to this one often.

Now I guess they first two don't matter that much, since Ottae has five and they were carried over, and the other guy hasn't visited in like forever. Simon. on the other hand is still around, and that topic was helpful as hell, and as I said, I've linked people to it recently.

Anyway, just curious, as I'm sure there are a lot of other members/topics that deserve some sort of recognition for being awesome or just very helpful.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:13 AM

Verbal Commendations are now a feature and can be used for the minor things like weeding out PBMs and other stuff that shouldn't have previously warranted a karma star. Medals are going to be awarded scarcely as the issue with karma was that most people that had it didn't deserve it and it became meaningless. If we gave out medals for previous contributions we'd naturally end up in the same position as we are now, seeing as anyone who had karma beforehand had at least one moderator vouching for their worthiness.

Staff are presently working out some standardised guidelines to avoid falling into the same trap as with karma, so I can't confirm completely either way.

I realise that doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's all I've got. tounge.gif

Basically Verbal Commendations are for the most part going to be the new karma, and the particularly karma worthy contributions will get a shiny medal. The reasoning behind the giving of a medal to those with five stars was that they surely would have earned at least one. It's tough luck to those who earned 1-4 but then again the new medals are all the more reason to keep on contributing! And not karma whoring.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (Justin @ Oct 23 2007, 03:13)
I realise that doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's all I've got. tounge.gif

That's actually a better explanation that I expected to get, thanks. user posted image

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (Sweets @ Oct 23 2007, 03:00)
Out of curiosity, are there any plans to give people awards based on previous actions, or only things done from this point on?

AFAIK, that will probably be the case. The whole idea behind the new awards system is to give the karma system more meaning and give people more recognition for their contributions. With the old system, people earned karma but there was no way for members to distinguish one member's contributions from another member's (unless members posted their logs of course). With the new system, commendatons appear as different medals depending on the type of contribution made. Karma stars (or whatever will be used) are given for every X number of commendations (medals) earned.

That's a basic explanation. It's still being ironed out and polished like anuj said.

Edit - Opps, I forgot to refresh the page before replying and missed Justin's reply. But when I say that awards would be given for past contributions, it'll probably be for major things, like really hot coffee.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

Shucks, I was fond of my buddies.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

This might have already been answered, but my reading comprehension is poor tonight...

Is there going to be a "limit" on the amount of commendations a member can receive like there was with the karma stars capping at 5? I don't think a lot of people contributed solely for the karma, but if someone caps their karma, couldn't that potentially lead to them not wishing to contribute anything else? Generally it seems that the people who truly contribute a lot would not behave in that manner, but I was just curious as to how the system is going to work.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Oct 23 2007, 09:51)
This might have already been answered, but my reading comprehension is poor tonight...

Is there going to be a "limit" on the amount of commendations a member can receive like there was with the karma stars capping at 5? I don't think a lot of people contributed solely for the karma, but if someone caps their karma, couldn't that potentially lead to them not wishing to contribute anything else? Generally it seems that the people who truly contribute a lot would not behave in that manner, but I was just curious as to how the system is going to work.

Before anyone gets like more than 4 medals either the system has failed OR someone gave Tank $5000 to cover GTANet's expenses.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Oct 23 2007, 18:51)

Was there a limit for karma? If so, how come members such as PatrickW and edisoncarter had something like 30 karma stars under their names?

Nonethless, I think this system could work. I never got a karma star, unfortunately, but I think it will stop people making silly topics, polish it up, add some nice vocaulary to it, and expect to get karma stars for it. Or, simply put, karma whoring.

Vin.
  • Vin.

RD loves me.

• The Connection

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Stefan Matovic Cvetkovic @ Oct 24 2007, 18:08)
QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Oct 23 2007, 18:51)

Was there a limit for karma? If so, how come members such as PatrickW and edisoncarter had something like 30 karma stars under their names?

Nonethless, I think this system could work. I never got a karma star, unfortunately, but I think it will stop people making silly topics, polish it up, add some nice vocaulary to it, and expect to get karma stars for it. Or, simply put, karma whoring.

There were several people with different Karma to others. Some, as you said, had 25 Karma, and I believe admins were the only ones able to give such karma. Then there were some people with 6 stars, again, only an admin could give them out, I believe. And of course the spinny stars, which when they first came out, were designed for people with 5 karma stars already, as well as had over 10,000 posts.

Now they have (again, I believe) completely cut the karma star system out, left previous 5 karma'd people with 1 star, and are not going to be using the karma star system at all.

Mouth full.

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

not like any other rainbow.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

Might be a dumb question, but what happens now to the people with 6+ karma?

I really like this system. The medals are sexy too. smile.gif

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Oct 24 2007, 21:46)

They all got one karma star as a consolation and a GTANet Contribution Award by default. i.e. same deal as anyone with five stars previously.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Justin @ Oct 24 2007, 13:03)
QUOTE (-/TNT\- @ Oct 24 2007, 21:46)

They all got one karma star as a consolation and a GTANet Contribution Award by default. i.e. same deal as anyone with five stars previously.

Question: Does this one star stay or are we getting the medal that shows up in our profile under our names?

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

The one star thing is only until I get back the things I need to finish off the job - I'm in no hurry.

You'll have a bronze, silver or gold generic medal under your posts, dependent on how many medals you have in your profile - to keep things uncluttered.

<-- Like so

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:38 PM

What would happen to members who had less than five karma stars before the GTAF relaunch?

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (CCPD @ Oct 25 2007, 08:38)
What would happen to members who had less than five karma stars before the GTAF relaunch?

As in before just a few days ago when karma was removed?

QUOTE (Justin @ Oct 23 2007, 18:13)
The reasoning behind the giving of a medal to those with five stars was that they surely would have earned at least one. It's tough luck to those who earned 1-4 but then again the new medals are all the more reason to keep on contributing! And not karma whoring.

Don't fear, your past contributions are still logged as Commendations in your member log and continued effort will see you duly rewarded with the most appropriate medal or at the very minimum, Verbal Commendations.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (Justin @ Oct 25 2007, 04:12)
Don't fear, your past contributions are still logged as Commendations in your member log and continued effort will see you duly rewarded with the most appropriate medal or at the very minimum, Verbal Commendations.

Since there's no more karma, why not allow the member log to be visible to all members instead of only the staff? This way, we will know how helpful a member has been and how many commendations or warnings he has received.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users