Photo

Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock

162 replies to this topic
cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

I really don't see the point in Guitar hero, I mean why don't people just buy a guitar instead of pressing buttons on a computer instead?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (TheDude5000 @ Oct 29 2007, 10:04)
Are the bass lines more complex and fun to play than they were in II? Speaking of bass, I find that using the D-Pad on the XPlorer to strum makes it feel and look more like you're actually playing a bass instead. Playing John The Fisherman or YYZ with that thing is intense..hopefully III has some good bass tracks to use it with.

Good bass lines?

Suck My Kiss.

'Nuff said.

@cold fusion 33, because we want to. It's much easier than learning real guitar. Less expensive. And I guarantee most people that can play guitar can not play Through the Fire and Flame.

Afro_Painguin
  • Afro_Painguin

Rawr.

• Members

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Oct 29 2007, 14:43)
I really don't see the point in Guitar hero, I mean why don't people just buy a guitar instead of pressing buttons on a computer instead?

That's like telling someone who plays Madden to go play football in real life. It's a game. People play Guitar Hero to have fun, not to learn the guitar. sigh.gif

Just think about it like this; I've been playing the guitar for about 4 years now and I love it to death. But even I must admit to Guitar Hero's awesomeness. biggrin.gif

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

Because they don't like to needlessly sh*t on people's fun. GH rocks, whether you play Real Life Guitar or not.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:24 AM

I just played through on medium. And coming from a guy who's well versed in Guitar Hero II on expert, I would like to say, I was impressed.

It was like GHII's hard difficulty but without the orange button. Can't wait to get up to expert.

P.S. Through the Fire and Flames = greatest Guitar Hero song ever.

Afro_Painguin
  • Afro_Painguin

Rawr.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:30 AM

Has anyone here tried to make an account at Guitar hero?

I made one yesterday, but it won't let me link my gamer tag. dontgetit.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:12 AM

I'm on there, but I haven't connected to live in about a month, so there isn't anything special on my profile.

Kenny Von Rockula (yeah that's the name of my band on GHIII).

Afro_Painguin
  • Afro_Painguin

Rawr.

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:36 AM

Wow...

So I turned on Guitar hero to play some career mode and all of a sudden it pops up that my disc is dirty and needs to be cleaned. I pop out the disc and there is this huge ass scratch all the way around the disc. I haven't the slightest clue of how the hell that happend, and now I'm out 60 bucks...

The weird thing is I can still play quickplay...just not career or online.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (Afro_Painguin @ Oct 29 2007, 22:36)
Wow...

So I turned on Guitar hero to play some career mode and all of a sudden it pops up that my disc is dirty and needs to be cleaned. I pop out the disc and there is this huge ass scratch all the way around the disc. I haven't the slightest clue of how the hell that happend, and now I'm out 60 bucks...

The weird thing is I can still play quickplay...just not career or online.

Sounds like your 360 chewed her up. sh*tty deal man.

Maybe you can take it to some used CD place and see if they can put the disc in their cleaning machine and see if it'll help. Usually works for me, though I don't know how big the scratch is on yours.

Sickness
  • Sickness

USMC

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:14 AM

I'm stuck on the the Slipknot song on expert...Anyone have any tips?

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Sickness @ Oct 30 2007, 02:14)

Yeah. Play it on hard. lol

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (40ozFreak @ Oct 30 2007, 12:25)

win icon14.gif

@scratched disk: games have a 90 day manufacturer warranty, just crack the center of the disk a bit, say it broke while playing and came loose inside the 360, caused that scratch and is unplayable smile.gif

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Oct 29 2007, 11:43)

I suck at this game, and as a real guitar player, I find playing some of the songs in real life, easier than to play the song on guitar hero.

I get the concept though, and it makes me people who don't know how to play guitar feel special.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

I don't like the large population that holds this opinion. It's a game. That's like telling people who play Madden they're dumb for not playing real football. So since this has a fake guitar it's less acceptable as a video game and is more of a poser version of real life? This is no different from any video game in any sense, except that it's more fun in my opinion because it gives you a sensation of playing songs you love to listen to.

For people like me that don't have the time or dedication to try and learn real guitar, but love to play video games, this is a godsend. Plus even if I play guitar...that doesn't mean I'm going to be able to keep up with Kirk Hammett in "One", does it?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (beavis @ Oct 30 2007, 11:49)
QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Oct 29 2007, 11:43)

I suck at this game, and as a real guitar player, I find playing some of the songs in real life, easier than to play the song on guitar hero.

I get the concept though, and it makes me people who don't know how to play guitar feel special.

It's harder to learn to play guitar hero, after you already know how to play guitar.

Though I play some guitar, and am decent with guitar hero. The reason I play it is mostly the drive to beat the game. NOT to play guitar. If I want to play guitar, I play guitar, albeit not too well.

P.S.http://guitarherocode.com/

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hey guys I'm Hackwagon in case any of you want to play some co-op or something. I don't think I'm ready to play battles because I'm still adjusting to the new guitar.

to be honest I don't like the new guitar as much. I don't like that the buttons depress only half as deep as the PS2 one I'm used to. I find myself missing chords and sh*t a lot because I don't recognize the buttons as definitely as I did before. Maybe it's just me, but it's making the songs more difficult than they should be.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

Oh right they do it for fun blush.gif I thought it was some sort of simulator not a fun game colgate.gif . Apologies.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Oct 30 2007, 15:51)
Oh right they do it for fun blush.gif I thought it was some sort of simulator not a fun game colgate.gif . Apologies.

lol, no apologies. It's friendly discussion here.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (40ozFreak @ Oct 30 2007, 16:30)
to be honest I don't like the new guitar as much. I don't like that the buttons depress only half as deep as the PS2 one I'm used to. I find myself missing chords and sh*t a lot because I don't recognize the buttons as definitely as I did before. Maybe it's just me, but it's making the songs more difficult than they should be.

I got the new PS2 controller, and if it wasn't for the wire, I'd go back to my faithful Gibson SG PS2 controller. I have the same problems as you, with missing chords and the like.

The big problem I have is that my green button will not activate unless I hit it dead on, which can make fast HO/PO sections and quick chord successions a real bitch. And the accelerometer in the Kramer is some touchy sh*t too, if the guitar is anything but horizontal, star power is going on whether I like it or not.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (-Kajun- @ Oct 30 2007, 20:35)
QUOTE (40ozFreak @ Oct 30 2007, 16:30)

I got the new PS2 controller, and if it wasn't for the wire, I'd go back to my faithful Gibson SG PS2 controller. I have the same problems as you, with missing chords and the like.

The big problem I have is that my green button will not activate unless I hit it dead on, which can make fast HO/PO sections and quick chord successions a real bitch. And the accelerometer in the Kramer is some touchy sh*t too, if the guitar is anything but horizontal, star power is going on whether I like it or not.

I'm not sure what the new PS2 one is like. I have the 360 version. The previous two titles I'd been playing with the SG that came with GH2 on PS2.

Sickness
  • Sickness

USMC

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (40ozFreak @ Oct 30 2007, 18:25)

Thanks, but I need to beat the game on expert. confused.gif

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:53 AM

I really, really don't like that the guitar battle screens are only half the height. I have a 20 inch television, and that is f*cking murder on my eyes.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

I can't beat any of the last set on Hard. I've been trying for 3 days.

f*ck.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

I don't enjoy this game as much as past titles. I think it has something to do with how Neversoft presents the game opposed to Harmonix. I don't feel as much in sync with the guitar playing, it feels less responsive (in presentation), and I find myself getting lost or missing a lot more areas in the song that are not beyond my skill level. Part of it may be the new guitar not feeling as slick in my hands, but I think a lot of it is the game. I've also yet to be impressed with the songs thus far. I am on the fifth set and have really only found maybe three or four tracks that I truly enjoyed playing. A lot of them are very repetitive or have ridiculous, endless barrages of chord combos. I get tired of chords. This is Guitar Hero, not Harmony Hero. I don't want to play chords for half of every song.

The game is much more accepting of hammer-ons and power-offs, but the lack of response I refer to is in the visual/aural reaction of the game to you hitting or missing notes. The buttons don't explode as noticeably when you hit star power, and the entire screen just seems very flat to me. At times I can't tell if I'm hitting the notes on time because all I see is a blinking light as confirmation.

And ffs....turn the guitar up on Paint it Black, Neversoft! Half the song the guitar is drowned out by Jagger whining.

The game is still good and still Guitar Hero quality...but I'm having trouble enjoying it as much as I'd wanted. I'm starting to think I should go get Rock Band.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

There are a few songs I don't like. I don't think these songs are guitar centric enough to be enjoyable. I'm talking mostly of When you were young (the killers) and Miss murder (AFI). Sure, they used guitars in the song. But they aren't "guitar songs". They aren't even very difficult. But I know that they are in there to sell games, and not really for playing.

As for the controller. I love the controller. I loved the SG, and the button placement on the Les Paul is almost identical.

Janitor
  • Janitor

Scrubs Hiatus

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

Eh, I picked GH3 up about two days ago, and I cannot play this f*cking game.
My fingers are being nothing but recalcitrant. It ever get any
easier? sad.gif

Jake
  • Jake

Vagina Mine

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:34 PM

f*ckin' nice song list.

Grandthefter
  • Grandthefter

I am not a member!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:32 PM

Played the demo, like what i've seen so far - and from the look of the rest of the song list it seems to very good, albiet hard. The new guitar looks sexy as hell though. Still got a while until the game comes out over here though which sucks.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:18 PM Edited by 40ozFreak, 01 November 2007 - 03:07 AM.

QUOTE (Janitor @ Oct 31 2007, 14:57)
easier? sad.gif

It gets easier the more you play.

I'm having issue getting used to the new guitar. I know it's the closest to the SG they can get, but it still feels foreign on my fingers.

OK, seriously...I'm about to return this game because of one f*cking song. "Holiday In Cambodia" by Dead Kennedys on Expert. It has, quite probably, the most asinine and f*cking ridiculous intro I've ever seen. There's no rhythm, no beat, no drums, nothing, just a million 32nd notes for like 12 bars. How the f*ck are you supposed to know the speed for that? I can't get past 5% on the f*cking song. What a f*cking TERRIBLE way to start a song in this sort of game. Did they even PLAY some of the songs they made BEFORE they released the game? Jesus...what a crock of stinky sh*t. I can't beat this one song and I've been playing it for half an hour.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:41 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 01 November 2007 - 04:45 AM.

QUOTE (40ozFreak @ Oct 31 2007, 15:18)
QUOTE (Janitor @ Oct 31 2007, 14:57)
easier? sad.gif

It gets easier the more you play.

I'm having issue getting used to the new guitar. I know it's the closest to the SG they can get, but it still feels foreign on my fingers.

OK, seriously...I'm about to return this game because of one f*cking song. "Holiday In Cambodia" by Dead Kennedys on Expert. It has, quite probably, the most asinine and f*cking ridiculous intro I've ever seen. There's no rhythm, no beat, no drums, nothing, just a million 32nd notes for like 12 bars. How the f*ck are you supposed to know the speed for that? I can't get past 5% on the f*cking song. What a f*cking TERRIBLE way to start a song in this sort of game. Did they even PLAY some of the songs they made BEFORE they released the game? Jesus...what a crock of stinky sh*t. I can't beat this one song and I've been playing it for half an hour.

You don't know how many times I've said that for multiple songs on GHII. Carry Me Home and Psychobilly Freakout to be more specific. It probably took me a week each to get. But yeah, this game's difficulty is a good deal higher.

I just got some good news though. The Les Paul controller works with GHII. So I'll be picking that up soon. It also is supposed to work for Rock Band. The only downside is you can't use they fancy effects and high fret buttons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users