Photo

Propaganda Incorporated

1,017 replies to this topic
Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

I've been great, busy, being an adult. Ha. Got married, dad died, started a business, got a cartoon contract with mondo media... you know, that old wive's tale! I've missed you.

Most of my gaming time has been absorbed by.... minecraft! We have a lot of fun on the GTAF server; it's a blast.

I'm leaning towards the PS4 and yeah, avoiding being an early adopter myself as well. I'm holding out until anything fun shows up like MGS or the next gen equivalent of The Last of Us.

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

I'm still tossing up whether to even go next-gen tbh, I'd rather just build a new computer. I think the only exclusive titles I want to play are MGS, The Order and Titanfall.

• Otter likes this

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

I built the PC I'm using now just to ask as a bridge between my last one and the one I'll likely need to run V on PC. I mean this one should be able to run it regardless of requirements, but I've fully expected for a while now that if/when V does come to PC it might very well be the same type of resource hogging crap console port as IV was. I mean don't get me wrong IV was awesome, and looked great on PC, but running it at 2048x1152 with all the settings maxed slowed my fps to 28-32. Well, at different times anyway, it actually ran a bit better for me before they tried to "optimize" it a bit, then I had to turn shadows down a notch to keep 30 fps instead of like 8. I mean whatever anyone says about IV for PC, it is pretty much universally agreed that it used more resources than it had any business needing.

But yeah, I saved a bit so that I can buy a PC again right after V hits PC. The idea being to run it on this PC until I buy something specifically built to run it @2048x1152 with all settings maxed. Which hopefully won't require a NASA supercomputer. Probably stupid of me, but I still have a little hope that even if they do just port it again, they maybe do it a bit better. And since IV on PC was the most resource intensive thing I ever ran, anything I put together to run V will easily do everything else I need.

As for consoles, I'm really not into gaming anywhere near as much as I used to be. I mean it still occupies a huge chunk of my time, but now it is basically just one or two games, and for console just GTAV/GTAO right now. If/when I do get a PS4 it'll likely just be because my brother will never play anything on PC, and even trying to use a controller for PC gaming, which is meh, isn't the same as being able to sit on a couch in front of a 70in tv. And what it'd take to tie any of my PCs into that would be more trouble than it is worth to me.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

Im lucky in that I require a "NASA supercomputer" for work, so I play Minecraft on maximum settings. :p
  • Rown likes this

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm still tossing up whether to even go next-gen tbh, I'd rather just build a new computer. I think the only exclusive titles I want to play are MGS, The Order and Titanfall.

I'm the same. I'd say the only exclusive title I want to play is MGS. I'd much rather keep on using my current-gen consoles and invest my money into something else. I was thinking about doing the same; either building a new computer or just buying a rad [affordable] one. I might just wait a year or two until the new-gen consoles are down to around £100/150 so I'm not spending a stupid amount of money when I don't even use consoles much anymore. Hell, I've not played a game on my PS3 for about two months and that was only for an hour. I only really use it for Netflix & Vidzone.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hell, I've not played a game on my PS3 for about two months and that was only for an hour. I only really use it for Netflix & Vidzone.

This.

I really think that both Microsoft and Sony shot their wad early somewhat rushing to be the first next-gen console on the market. Barely any games out on it yet and virtually no buzz among  casual gamers. There are just no clear advantages and leaps forward.

I'm going to hold off on both a Next-Gen console and building a New PC until my wallet says I can.

• Otter, Tyler and Gilligan like this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, not gonna lie, felt pretty underwhelmed. Although Ryse, despite the fact that it looks like a stupid game, is pretty visually stunning.

I'm pretty sure PS4 is the way to go for me, though - I want to get on board for all the sexy new next gen titles. When they show up.

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I've decided on the PS4, specially since that info came out about pre-gen title streaming.

• Otter likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that.

I missed out on the entire PS3 generation. Hell, I even missed out on most PS2 stuff. Haven't owned a console since the Dreamcast.  Holy sh*t. That's crazy.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

I need to get the big PS3 titles and play through them. There's been some great looking exclusives that I've missed out on due to having an Xbox. The only thing Microsoft really had over Sony for me was Bungie, and now that they're cut loose, I have a heavy hankering for some Playstation in my life again.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

Aside from GTA games, and maybe STO on PC, I've never been more than a casual gamer, so there aren't that many titles that stood out much for me. There weren't nearly enough jet games/flying/fighter combat games for PS3, but HAWX was actually pretty good, the second was alright too. Other than that I guess I really liked the Resistance games, at least the first was awesome, second was pretty good, third was alright, but by that time I'd kind of lost interest. I also loved that they had split screen. That's something I think consoles have stopped doing to their detriment. Being able to play with the people who are actually in my living room is part of the reason I gamed so much back then. Don't like that now if I want to play with someone I need to send them home so we can play online. Or like with me and my brother, have 2 consoles, 2 TVs, and 2 discs, in two different rooms, and an internet connection that can support both. Seems like all the games I'd actually be caught dead playing I can't play with someone who is there, or I could buy a wii and play some kind of mario tennis crap.

• Otter likes this

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

It seems a bit bizarre to say this but GTA V was probably the only nonsportsbased game that I actually bought on PS3. I could just never get into games like COD and the like. I don't know why but I'm pretty apathetic about games now -- think I've just grown away from them.

And regarding next gen, given what I've said above I'm not at all interested. Which may or may not be code for I don't have enough cash or space where I live...

• Tyler likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm not a huge fan of FPS games on console. I can't give up my mouse and keyboard. But what I'm excited about is - hopefully getting GTAV, same with The Last of Us (I hear it's amazing) Metal Gear Solid V, and the like, and maybe, just maybe, Final Fantasy although I hear they've slipped a bit.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

See, I've never played and FPS on a PC. All my set-ups have always been far too sh*tty to even run tetris without the damn things exploding. For me FPS on consoles feel natural. 

Having said that, I would like to give PC gaming a go, see if I can't be converted. How much would a decent gaming rig set you back? 

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Depends on what you want to play. Provided you've got the peripherals you could get a semi-decent rig PS4 comparable for like 500.  Or hell, go look at the new steamboxes! Drooooool.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

See, I've never played and FPS on a PC. All my set-ups have always been far too sh*tty to even run tetris without the damn things exploding. For me FPS on consoles feel natural. 

You're gonna be in a whole new world when you play something like Half-Life 2 for the first time on PC.

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:21 PM Edited by geobst, 10 January 2014 - 08:22 PM.

I think the only games I've ever played on the PC are GTA: San Andreas, Vice City, IV and III and of course, Minecraft. Even though my PC was pretty crap I could tell the differences visually. 

Are other games like Half-Life 2 (I'll use Tyler's example) better off played on the PC than on consoles too? I've heard people brag about games being a whole lot better on the PC but most of them had never played the same games on a console either. I don't really fancy paying £400+ for a quality PC if there's not that much of a difference.

I'm such a n00b, right?

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

My PC sh*ts a brick when confronted with Football Manager 2008...

• Max likes this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Large data base across 6 nations I presume?

• Otter and D4 Damager like this

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

You know it. All the home nations and a couple of extras if I feel fancy.

I bought a couple of the newer 3D games but the match engine would always glitch and trying to continue the game would be like pushing treacle uphill with a fork.

Still, I'm ditching this horrible machine in summer for a laptop, which would enable me to finally play the latest version aha

• Otter likes this

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

There have been a few times in the past month where I've very seriously considered selling my PS4 to pick up an R9 280x, but I know as soon as I do Rockstar will announce a next-gen game in the works or something and I'll immediately regret it. Besides, 280xs are sold out everywhere right now because of f*cking bitcoin miners and I don't really play anything too intensive for my HD6950 right now. Most of my time spent gaming is spent on TF2 and I can run that at 400FPS if I remove my FPS limit.

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

Having said that, I would like to give PC gaming a go, see if I can't be converted. How much would a decent gaming rig set you back? 

I feel like an ape trying to play an FPS on any console. You don't need a state of the art PC to do gaming. My laptop is 5 years old and I play a lot of stuff, depends on what you want to play I guess.

• Otter likes this

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

That's how I've always felt playing on PC. (Not trying to start a console vs PC thing btw, as I play on both, and don't care enough to argue about stupid sh*t.) There are even a bunch of games I've played on PC where I've ended up playing with a gamepad. GTASA/SAMP, GTAIV, and anything with any type of flying in it. I know I'll be doing the same for V if/when it ever gets a PC version. I wouldn't say controllers are better than a mouse and keyboard, the opposite actually, but I just don't enjoy it as much. Again, most especially with anything flying related, but also just in general.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

What's going to be the killer app for the PS4? Itchy to jump in the water.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

I've decided on the PS4, specially since that info came out about pre-gen title streaming.

The same idea that Microsoft talked about at their event back in May? The same feature Microsoft was slammed for? don't get me wrong, that sh*t will rock, especially the ability to stream to any PSN connected device.

I'm getting both. Xbox One and PS4. Just picked up a cheap PS3 the other day ( got a 320gb second gen chassis  for free ). I try and game as much as possible in my free time. I'd love a gaming PC and I'm always talking about building one, however, only having to drop $749 NZD or $649 NZD every 8 years works well for me. Means I can still play all the great games and not miss out. There are a couple PC games I want, KSP, but I make do.

• Sweets likes this

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:45 PM Edited by Pat, 14 January 2014 - 07:45 PM.

That's how I've always felt playing on PC. (Not trying to start a console vs PC thing btw, as I play on both, and don't care enough to argue about stupid sh*t.) There are even a bunch of games I've played on PC where I've ended up playing with a gamepad. GTASA/SAMP, GTAIV, and anything with any type of flying in it. I know I'll be doing the same for V if/when it ever gets a PC version. I wouldn't say controllers are better than a mouse and keyboard, the opposite actually, but I just don't enjoy it as much. Again, most especially with anything flying related, but also just in general.

It really just depends on the types of games you play. I can't stand using a controller for FPSes or certain TPSes (mostly the Max Payne series, because I feel that precision is extremely important in those games), but for something like GTA, any racing game, or platformers, of course I'd rather use a controller.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:08 AM Edited by GunWrath, 15 January 2014 - 03:09 AM.

Personally, I think some FPS are better fit for console, while some are better fit for PC. If any of you ever played Ghost Recon hardcore during PC days, you'll know what I'm talking about. GR on PC is/was definitely better with a mouse and keyboard, while GR games on console never are too good and I never could get the hang of it. I also think Battlefield is to me, much better on console than PC.. though BF2 back in the day was definitely legendary as a PC game.

I prefer console these days.. I'm more comfortable sitting in my recliner or couch and gaming at my own pace than having to be all hunched over looking at a PC screen with my hands stuck to my keyboard and what not. To each their own though..

Anyone see this EVOLVE game coming out by the creators of L4D2? Seems interesting, co-op as well.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

That gave me the weirdest nostalgia boner for R6. That game was a brytal good time. I miss shooters like that; no respawns, if you get shot in the leg you're crippled, etc.

Is there anything like that now? Or is it all the auto-heal auto-aim bunnyhopping automatic shotgun sh*t these days?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

Basically auto-heal. I still own a 3 pack PC game that has R6, DF2 and something else on it. Rainbow Six brought me into the FPS genre, then moved on to Delta Force for acouple years.. damn I miss those days. One shot, you had to 'walk' the rest of the mission, yeah, good times. It made you become a true Operator .. because you could get through entire missions without a scratch. :^:

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

ArmA II or BF2 Project Reality would probably be up your alley, Otter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users