Photo

"Di Reggae Yard"

257 replies to this topic
Drizz
  • Drizz

Satan.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

I was. . . Around. Blazing sensa. And well... Yeah, playing my four Black Uhuru albums over and over 'till I realized I had unconnected sequels in my head and decided to post in here.

Listen to some Anthony B or Sizzla for good Dancehall.

Sizzla is hot sh*t, but my favorite would have to be Capleton. Capleton really lights tracks on fire when he gets on 'em... I mean, whut, his "Fire" track on the Martial Arts riddim has been 'round for ages and I still love listening to it & it attracts plenty hot punani when I play it in public places. :>

And Mad Cobra is also nice. That track he did on the Military riddim was mad sick! "Put gunshot" or something like this, I think it was called. YouTube it, it's worth.

Dancehall reggae, though, in my opinion doesn't have anything to do with roots reggae except being Jamaican. . . Dancehall has way too much slack to be good for the spirit, as roots is. But it's still good when you're in the club or when you gon' hit that. :3

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

S'all about Bounty and Buju for me..buju got that crossover appeal. Bounty put out all that dopeness with hip hop artists.

Capleton tho..Jah Jah city is a big, big tune. Guys a f*cking headcase as well biggrin.gif

Any Eek a Mouse listeners here?

topdogkiller
  • topdogkiller

The Unseen

• Members

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Not really a big fan of dancehall at all. Nowadays I really dislike it. I do listen to a littla sizzla and buju banton even some chaka demis with plies. I Also beavis I got some respect for the spear. Just that my mom constantly puts his songs on repeat. And dub reggae is the best to me, if it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't appreciate or wouldn't know about it till my later years.

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (Drizz @ Apr 17 2008, 23:05)
Dancehall reggae, though, in my opinion doesn't have anything to do with roots reggae except being Jamaican. . . Dancehall has way too much slack to be good for the spirit, as roots is. But it's still good when you're in the club or when you gon' hit that. :3

Oh really? I get what you mean by todays dancehall isn't much roots, but earlier stuff by the great Anthony B. had some really great rootsy dancehall.

Drizz
  • Drizz

Satan.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:30 PM Edited by Drizz, 19 April 2008 - 01:33 PM.

Nice tune, Beavis, nice one indeed.

I got a li'l request for the Reggae crew. . . Anyone can share a worthy video or an MP3 stream of some Louie Rankin? I heard about this guy a couple of times (movies "Belly" and "Top Shottas" along with Big Apple's exclusive interview on YouTube) and he looks interesting, but I couldn't find anything worthy of him. Trying to see what that guy did, 'cause he looks important in that interview. >.<

I only found a song called "Riding West" by him, but it was boring and plain to me. . . The rest of songs he was apparently featured on, it was only his voice samples (Kymani Marley's "Ghetto Soldier" for example).

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

I gotta be honest I dont really know much about the guy..I think he did a track with Sage Francis, but i might be mistaken. Sorry man not much help. I think hes more DJ than vocalist though.

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:19 AM

Am I the only one who feels somewhat of a high when they hear Reggae? I can't help to feel uplifted by some of this good music.

Any requests?

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

So much love for this. Saw him live last year.

S' one of the reason I hate UB40 so much. They covered this and f*cking murdered it. Wankers.

XN22
  • XN22

Breathe.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:52 AM

Can one of you motherf*ckers tell me what hip hop song sampled Augustus Pablo's "Addis-A-Baba"? I'm pretty sure it was Atmosphere, but I don't know.

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

How dare you guys let this topic move onto the second page.

Shameful... sad.gif

Any of you guys play any reggae? I play bass, guitar, and some keyboards. I want to learn some horns though.

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

Anyone care to recommend me some good reggae and dub?

I only really know of and love; Bob Marley and the Wailers, Black Uhuru, Augustus Pablo.

Mullen
  • Mullen

bon vivant

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

Lee Perry
King Tubby
The Scientist
King Jammy
Niney the Observer
Dillinger
Burning Spear
Max Romeo

Check them out Ya Mum!

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Ya Mum @ May 5 2008, 23:58)

I only really know of and love; Bob Marley and the Wailers, Black Uhuru, Augustus Pablo.

Dude, all you gotta do is read thru the pages in here. Some good sh*t posted on here. If that doesn't suit you, theres plenty of people on youtube that have uploaded good reggae on there. Look around.

Carlon Livingston
Bunny Wailer
Burning Spear
Kiddus I
Anthony B
Sizzla
The Maytones
The Maytals
Gregory Isaacs
Eek-a-Mouse
Jacob Miller and the Inner Circle
Jimmy Cliff
Leroy Smart
Sister Carol
The Heptones
Slightly Stoopid
Pepper
Mystic Roots
Augustus Pablo
Junior Reid
Freddy McGregor

Those are some that I can think of from the top of my head.

XN22
  • XN22

Breathe.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:13 AM

Ya Mum, just put Augustus Pablo's album East Of The River Nile on repeat for a few hours with a fat blunt. smile.gif

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

Sweet, thanks for the help guys. I'll go give them a listen over at last.fm or youtube and see what I think of them. I'm sure I'll love most of them, Reggae's the sh*t.

@XN22: Will do.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Ya Mum @ May 6 2008, 07:58)

I hear Dub side of The Moon is a slick album tounge.gif

other than what evryone else stated..try Fat Freddys Drop. New Zealand band..do Dub, roots, jazz

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (OH NO @ May 7 2008, 20:23)
QUOTE (Ya Mum @ May 6 2008, 07:58)

I hear Dub side of The Moon is a slick album tounge.gif

Heh, I actually quite like it now. I know I was bagging it in the other topic but I think the key is to not look at it as a cover but just look at it as it's own album. I think you're the one who said that and it's kinda worked.

And cheers for the recommendation, I think I've heard of them before.

topdogkiller
  • topdogkiller

The Unseen

• Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

Just listened to Burning Spear's Garvey's ghost dub album. It is amazing, I think that sly and robbie did the production for it since they do a sh*tload of production.

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Bunny Wailer kicks ass, not to mention those dudes skanking:

Straznicy
  • Straznicy

Laugh at your problems

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Scotland

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:54 AM Edited by Straznicy, 09 May 2008 - 12:59 AM.

Been listening to SS pretty much non-stop for the past few weeks, helps me study for my exams. smile.gif

60 Cent.
  • 60 Cent.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:57 AM

Yo guys, I've always listened to Reggae, but recently I've gotten way into it. So I decided to post here.

One of the first Reggae songs I've listened too:

topdogkiller
  • topdogkiller

The Unseen

• Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

Black Uhuru are pretty sick, My parents have their Red album on vinylwhich is amazing.

60 Cent.
  • 60 Cent.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, another one by Black Uhuru, a classic imo. Black Uhuru are the only ones I currently know, I've just scratched the surface though.

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

Black Uhuru is great but certainly not one of my favs.

Jacob Miller is not only a righteous singer, but his band is on a whole different level than most reggae bands.

Check out my youtube page under Videos and Favorites for some GOOD reggae.

http://www.youtube.com/HecG

topdogkiller
  • topdogkiller

The Unseen

• Members

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (beavis @ May 11 2008, 20:13)
Black Uhuru is great but certainly not one of my favs.

Jacob Miller is not only a righteous singer, but his band is on a whole different level than most reggae bands.

Check out my youtube page under Videos and Favorites for some GOOD reggae.

http://www.youtube.com/HecG

I didn't know that he was maxi priest's uncle. I loved the original inner circle. There recent singer is alright but he doesn't have the same flame as Jacob. Does anyone here know Garnett Silk? he also was an amazing reggae artist.

ELGABORS
  • ELGABORS

Tommy Vergudo

• Members

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:19 AM

And you call a roots reggae man what about those grooves !

The Blues Busters - How sweet it is / Soon You'll be Gone
and I'm-a-diggin' those soulfoul jams specially the later!

From the Video:
The Blues Busters, Lloyd Campbell and Phillip James, were one of the earliest Jamaican vocal duos. Their late-'50s start saw them emulating American R&B and, surprisingly, at the dawn of the '60s arriving at the same soulful conclusion as that of their U.S. counterparts. They were also major contenders in the ska boom with hits like "Behold" and "(If I Had The) Wings of a Dove." Although the duo worked with other producers, including a few early sides for Coxsone Dodd, they recorded primarily with Byron Lee. The bandleader brought them to New York in 1964 to perform at the World's Fair. While there they recorded their debut album, Behold How Sweet It Is. The Blues Busters were determined to have success in the States, and returned again and again throughout the second half of the '60s to record and perform. They released a number of singles on small labels like Minit and even a few for major-label Capitol, but never had the breakthrough success they sought. They continued to record in the '70s but as the decade wore on and their well of hits began to run dry, they recorded less and less. Their last recordings date
from the early '80s.

Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop
What about this high-pitched, party-smashing blissful slice of reggae heaven?

Millie Small's singing career began when she was still a teenager. She became a popular artist in the West Indies and was one of the few female performers to be involved in the branch of R&B music that grew in those islands, called 'Ska'.

Her early local successes were made as half of a duet called 'Roy And Millie'. The other half was called Roy Panton. She recorded as half of 'Owen & Millie' (Owen Gray) and 'Jackie & Millie' (Jackie Edwards).
These record releases were on labels like 'Studio One', 'Island' and the legendary 'Blue Beat'. In fact she was to become known in the West Indies as the 'Blue Beat Girl' and 'Ska' is still known by many people as 'blue beat'.
Millie was brought to Britain during 1963 by Chris Blackwell, who later made an effort to promote Reggae in the UK. Her first UK release 'Don't You Know' owed less to her Ska background, being accompanied by an orchestra conducted by Lord Rockingham's Harry Robinson. It didn't sell too badly but Millie's unique high pitched style wasn't enough to get it into the chart.
However, her second release was a stronger song and was based more closely to the West Indian rhythms she was accustomed to. It became a massive hit on both sides of the Atlantic, reaching number 2 in the U.S. chart as well as in Britain.
Sadly, despite the great success of the record, it did not set a new musical style in people's awareness. 'My Boy Lollipop' was simply regarded by most record buyers at the time as an item of delightful, but lightweight 'pop' . (Incidentally the record is alleged by some to have a young Rod Stewart on harmonica).
Although she had a couple of further minor hits, she never managed to consolidate her famous smash. She remained in the public conscience for a long time and was also regarded by many as a role model.

Dandy Livingstone - A Message To You, Rudy
What about this gem! covered by the great SPECIALS more than a decade later this is a record that stands the test of time and it is dedicated to all of you rudeboys!

(born Robert Livingstone Thompson, 14 December 1943[1], Kingston, Jamaica) is a Jamaican reggae musician and producer, best known for his 1972 hit, "Suzanne Beware of the Devil", and for his song, "Rudy, A Message to You", which was later a hit for The Specials. "Suzanne Beware of the Devil", reached number 14 on the UK Singles Chart.

The Paragons - The Tide Is High
What'd I Say? Keeping with the covers theme this one went huge for blondie back in '80 and here it is in its original glory back from its 1967 heyday! Lovin that violin!

The Paragons were originally Garth "Tyrone" Evans, Bob Andy, Junior Menz, and Leroy Stamp. In 1964 Stamp was replaced by John Holt, and Howard Barret replaced Menz.

The early Paragons sound was heavily influenced by American soul music and used the tight vocal harmonies of Jamaican groups of the early 1960s. In 1964, the group caught the attention of the record producer, Duke Reid, and they cut a succession of popular singles for his "Treasure Isle" record label.

The Paragons' recordings, most famously "The Tide Is High", written by John Holt, and featuring the violin of "White Rum" Raymond, are among the highlights of Jamaican popular music. "The Tide Is High" was taken to the top of the UK and U.S. charts by Blondie in 1980; whilst Atomic Kitten's cover version also topped the UK Singles Chart in 2002.

Bill Deal & The Rhondels - I've Been Hurt
This one is up there with the greats

Bill Deal & the Rhondels were formed in 1965 in Virginia Beach, crossing blue-eyed soul, Beach music and Horn rock. They had 3 hits in 1969, I've Been Hurt (U.S. #35), What Kind Of Fool Do You Think I Am (U.S. #23) & May I (U.S. #39).

Latin Ska Medley
Straight up from the tail end of the 60s came all those gems, all covers and IMO some of these are even better than the originals

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (60 Cent. @ May 12 2008, 03:30)
Yeah, another one by Black Uhuru, a classic imo. Black Uhuru are the only ones I currently know, I've just scratched the surface though.

[youtube]ewcWHlwPLsE[youtube]

Classic track, I f*cken love it. The solo in that song is so epic, I just can't stop moving, really groovy.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (topdogkiller @ May 11 2008, 21:24)
recent singer is alright but he doesn't have the same flame as Jacob. Does anyone here know Garnett Silk? he also was an amazing reggae artist.

Now were talking. True legend, king of kings. Such a great, distinctive voice..."mama" really gets to me..kingly character..a sad loss.

jaymig53
  • jaymig53

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Could any of you guys recommend me some good dub music? I've really goten into it lately, but I don't know so much in that genre. I like Lee Perry and Scientist (thank you GTA III). But I don't know so much else.

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (jaymig53 @ May 12 2008, 20:37)
Could any of you guys recommend me some good dub music? I've really goten into it lately, but I don't know so much in that genre. I like Lee Perry and Scientist (thank you GTA III). But I don't know so much else.

Just read through the topic or go back a page and read the recommendations everyone gave me. I've taken a lot of them on board and most of them are awesome. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users