Can't change VC resolution!

13 replies to this topic
NVX_185
  • NVX_185

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

hello all,
i got vice city just a few minutes ago, and everyting is fine, game runs smoothly, etc etc, but the as usual the default settings are 640x480. I tried changing it but it wont let, the option to change it is not allowed. Someone can you help me please? all will be appreciated!

VCHolmes
  • VCHolmes

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

After you load a game or start a new game, you can't change the resolution. Close the game, run it again. Now change the resolution.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Please read the pinned topics, they're pinned for a reason. wink.gif

NVX_185
  • NVX_185

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (VCHolmes @ Aug 17 2007, 09:50)
After you load a game or start a new game, you can't change the resolution. Close the game, run it again. Now change the resolution.

somehow that method suggested still isn't seem to be working .... I tried going back on after closing the game but the option is still unavailable to change to resolution ....

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (NVX_185 @ Aug 17 2007, 21:52)

somehow that method suggested still isn't seem to be working .... I tried going back on after closing the game but the option is still unavailable to change to resolution ....

Did you follow the other solutions listed?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

Are you able to change the res in any of your other games? This wil tell you if your monitor/display drivers are installed correctly.

If so, then uninstall/reinstall Vice City, delete [.set] file, turn on/off compatibility mode, and make sure that "Run in 640x480" isn't checkmarked. Now launch the executable.

Still no luck, then you are one of those person who would benefit from 3rd-Party software. I'm not giving you the link, someone else will have to. moto_whistle.gif

VCHolmes
  • VCHolmes

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (NVX_185 @ Aug 17 2007, 11:52)

Option unavailable? Resolution does not have a separate menu for itself. Mouse over the resolution option so that its highlighted, and use the left\right arrows or the mousewheel to change the resolution. Then press enter to confirm.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:21 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 17 August 2007 - 02:35 PM.

Read...
Problem #16
There are problems changing the resolution of Vice City; and/or the game crashes upon 'ALT+TAB'ing out back to the desktop.

Solution: It should be noted that the resolution can only be changed upon initially running the game (i.e. not after a gameplay has begun). Therefore, quit Vice City. Load it up again, and before anything else is done, simply head to display options and change the resolution. You must select the desired resolution with the directional keys and hit Enter to confirm.

Alternatively: Set the compatibility mode of the executable file to 'Windows 98'. Do so by: right-clicking gta-vc.exe (default: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\gta-vc.exe) -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', and select 'Windows 98 / Windows Me' from the drop-down menu. Apply, OK. And as pictures speak a thousand words, click here.

Alternatively: Uninstall any additional media codecs you may have installed previously.

Alternatively: Delete the SET file! Yes, this is stated in the above introduction, but is particularly relevant with this problem.

Alternatively: Download and run 3D Analyze. Use this program to force Vice City to run in windowed mode. Resolution should now be able to be changed without problems. Change it as desired - this new resolution will function when the game is next run normally (i.e. without 3D Analyze). This process may have to be repeated for every resolution change desired. Source.

Read...
How can I change the resolution in the game?
Once you start the game up, you are locked into whatever resolution you started the game with. To change the resolution, you will need to exit the game, restart it, then go to Options and select Display options. You can change the screen resolution here. To scroll through the various screen resolutions, use either the arrow keys on the keyboard or the mouse wheel.

If all this doesn't work, then you have some weird problem which cannot be solved.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

I think it's a better idea to leave NVX_185 with the instructions "read the pinned topics", rather than spoon-feeding him the answers. How will anyone ever learn to not act like they do in the GTAIV forums, then? tounge.gif

At any rate, I'm not sure how you're managing extra replies when the original posters himself hasn't yet responded to your initial inquiries.

BlaZelatiNo
  • BlaZelatiNo

Killa

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

ok just play ur game Dont load ur game yet when ur on the menu, then change resolution

NVX_185
  • NVX_185

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your input, wow, I didn't know I had accumulated so many responses to my inquiry. Thanks again you all, I finally managed to change my resolution by not loading the game first, and then on the main menu changed the resolution successfully... Thanks a lot guys. I guess this also explains why I wasn't able to change my resolution on San Andreas either. Unfortunately I seem to have another problem. I've lost that information part at the top right hand of the screen where the health, wanted level, armour, all those things seem to be lost. Anyone know how to fix this up? And sorry for not reading the pinned topics, just brand new to this site. wink.gif

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (NVX_185 @ Aug 19 2007, 18:18)
Unfortunately I seem to have another problem. I've lost that information part at the top right hand of the screen where the health, wanted level, armour, all those things seem to be lost. Anyone know how to fix this up?

Pause Menu -> Options -> Display Setup -> HUD Mode -> On.

As for San Andreas' resolution, probably not. SA allows you to change resolution on the fly (i.e. not exclusively when you first fire up the game).

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

What's funny was that the thread starter still couldn't change the resolution even after posting this comment:

After you load a game or start a new game, you can't change the resolution. Close the game, run it again. Now change the resolution.†

bbq.gif

zdeamon
  • zdeamon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

This is what i did to change my resolution im running 1440x900 close the game go to my documents then go to (GTA Vice City User Files) then delete (gta_vc.set) then go start game then go straight to options and select the resolution you want and click with your mouse and your done.

Brought to you by :zdeamon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users