Photo

Claude is NOT a Mute

167 replies to this topic
cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

i think claude is like sphynx from gone in 60 seconds; he only wants to say something when its necessary and when he will say something its very clever.

jojo_7
  • jojo_7

Hey! How about a big nice cup of shut the f*ck up?

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (GTA_dog @ Aug 14 2007, 18:07)
In San Andreas, when you beat Claude at a race where you meet Wu Zi Mu, you get a garage in Doherty, thus making you fix up the trash heap. Throughout the game Catalina calls you and says dumb things to CJ. One time she calls she was ment to actually call Claude, but called CJ instead. Claude isn't a mute to talk on the phone. He can't make sound effects in the background and have conversations with Claude unless he had a voice. Catalina also knows the his name is Claude. He must've told her! Claude, a mute? No. My opinion, he chooses not to talk. sly.gif

She didint call CJ by mistake, she tried to make him jeulos
ans show him that she "realy" love claude
BTW, fall of a cliph in GTA3 (where's Salvatore leone's house)
ans youll hear claude gasp and a little of his voice biggrin.gif

.:Alex:.
  • .:Alex:.

Bitter and Twisted

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (freak2121 @ Aug 20 2007, 02:57)
if you watch a beta gta 3 trailer you can hear him talk when he crashes and stuff just like CJ so rockstar did have claude to talk in beta but they removed his voice for the final
EDIT:here is the link --->Click Me For Proving Claude Wasnt A Mute<---

Actually that's Salvatore talking about Claude to someone. Trying to show him for promotional purposes tounge.gif

Mutes can make noises too! Say he doesn't have a tongue for instance, they can still scream and grunt because it doesn't require a tongue. If he was shot in the lung he still has another (besides which we never actually see where he was shot). Claude does NOT talk to anyone at all in San Andreas, instead he is tuning up his car. Don't believe me? Go look up the cutscenes on Youtube. Catalina calls Carl to make him jealous, it's a pretty obvious reason why she keeps calling.

So really, there is no proof either way. Of course while there is no definate proof that he is A mute, there is no doubt he IS mute.

Therman
  • Therman

The Herman

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

maybe he doesn't talk cause he doesn't want people to hear that he has a retarded voice. who would respect a guy with a retarded voice? but i'm not saying that clause has a retarded voice but that could be the reason. he does look a little retarded after all. but the real reason that clause doesn't speak is probably just that rockstar didn't get him a voice actor. but i think claude is a great protagonist biggrin.gif

Gangsta007
  • Gangsta007

Gangsta niggah

• Members

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:57 PM

Maybe Catalina even doesn't care. She doesn't care about talking. She's more in it for...errr...fuc*ing biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

ConnorM
  • ConnorM

Gamemode/SCM Coder

• Members

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Therman @ Aug 24 2007, 15:11)
maybe he doesn't talk cause he doesn't want people to hear that he has a retarded voice. who would respect a guy with a retarded voice? but i'm not saying that clause has a retarded voice but that could be the reason. he does look a little retarded after all. but the real reason that clause doesn't speak is probably just that rockstar didn't get him a voice actor. but i think claude is a great protagonist biggrin.gif

It's Claude, not Clause.

Smiley001
  • Smiley001

Abandoned all hope...

• Members

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:53 PM Edited by Smiley001, 05 September 2007 - 07:05 PM.

It's simple. In GTA1, GTA 2 and GTA III, the protanogists never talked until VC where they finaly decided to have a voice actor for the lead role, its similiar to the fact that until SA, none of the lead roles could even swim...
But Claude maybe is mute in the GTA universe. CJ referred to him as "mute asshole" so maybe it was Rockstar's way of saying he actualy is mute. But the fact that Claude makes voices when falling or getting shot as means of being in pain, he could talk but prefers not to speak much. The previous lead roles have never spoken a word and have never been considered as mutes.
For the end, I realy don't think Claude is mute, I think he can speak but Rockstar's tradition of lead roles never speaking broke when VC was made. Maybe the fact that protanogists spoke, seemed more realistic to R*.

GTA2Fanatic1112
  • GTA2Fanatic1112

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

Think rockstar wanted him to appear as someone who took orders and didn't argue. Didn't talk, just listened. This would seem logical to me.

EDIT: GTA1 you didn't play as Claude. You played as travis, the black guy with the thin face, the other dude and the fat guy bubba.

Zikomos
  • Zikomos

Wanted

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:38 PM

Well to explain your questions, Catalina can still call Claude to tell him something even though she won't get a response. Plus Claude could easily write his name down somewhere for Catalina to see so she could know his name. But those are just ideas of why Catalina meant to call him and knew his name. Obviously the biggest reasons is because he didn't talk in GTA3 and there is probably no big reason behind it all.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

In GTA III in the mission Spank Ma' B**** Up or whatever its called you can hear the thinks of Claude reading the letter... It's only grunt with talk...

Claude only thinks

Barciur
  • Barciur

Proud PC gamer.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

Lol it's Luigi's voice..

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, that's Luigi's voice. He wrote the letter, and Rockstar was showing how Luigi would be expressing himself as if he was talking to Claude.

Just because Claude doesn't talk much doesn't mean he can't read.

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

Couldn't agree more with you on that one.

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

Claude isn't mute, on SA:MP if you fall off a high obstacle, he grunts when he lands tounge.gif

Claude_17
  • Claude_17

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:20 AM Edited by Claude_17, 07 September 2007 - 11:23 AM.

In 1992, Carl Johson called Claude a snake without a tongue, what means he think Claude can't talk. So... it's not Catalina's fault that Claude lost his voice. In fact, he doesn't lose his voice at al. It just doesn't make sence to him why he should talk.

I don't think he's a mute..

Cronyne
  • Cronyne

^ That's a squirrel, not a cat. >_>

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:51 PM Edited by Cronyne, 29 November 2008 - 08:54 PM.

EDIT: Oh crap. Sorry. Was searching through and didn't realize the date...

Werven
  • Werven

Facefixer.

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Cronyne @ Nov 29 2008, 15:51)
EDIT: Oh crap. Sorry. Was searching through and didn't realize the date...

Nice one.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Ottae @ Sep 7 2007, 22:01)
Claude isn't mute, on SA:MP if you fall off a high obstacle, he grunts when he lands tounge.gif

Yeah, but that's not Claude's voice, that's the voice of every character when he falls down. I think it's CJ's voice. tounge2.gif

Bitola
  • Bitola

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:27 AM

Claude can talk, he chooses not to because he sees everyone else as scum bags.
He's basically an experiment that went a little to right. Do you really think someone
that bad ass couldn't talk?

And guys, Jesus, some of you played all games and still can't figure out the story?

During San Andreas Carl broke up with Catalina which is when Catalina met Claude
a little later in the game. Now skipping all the way to GTA III which is a well nine years
or so, Catalina and Claude are still together but, as you all should know, Catalina blows
Claude's brains out.

Gta_Sailer
  • Gta_Sailer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

Claude says 'uh' or 'ah' when he gets run over or falls i agree a little that he is mute.

GeoValentino
  • GeoValentino

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Aug 24 2007, 08:24)
i think claude is like sphynx from gone in 60 seconds; he only wants to say something when its necessary and when he will say something its very clever.

hahah i like that!!

guy0307
  • guy0307

Go Go Go!

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (Ottae @ Aug 14 2007, 18:42)
She didn't accidentally ring Carl, she rang him on purpose to make him feel jealous.

Exactly.

archey
  • archey

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Mokiesmoky @ Aug 14 2007, 20:11)
Here's an idea:

In 1992 when Catalina and him met, he could talk. Just because he didn't talk in the while we saw him in SA doesn't mean he couldn't.

Maybe something happened in those 9 years that made him mute. monocle.gif

if you watch the GTA III starting cut scene she shoots him in the neck or something. im guessing it messed up his voice box.

.AshRemains
  • .AshRemains

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Bitola @ Nov 30 2008, 04:27)
Claude can talk, he chooses not to because he sees everyone else as scum bags.
He's basically an experiment that went a little to right. Do you really think someone
that bad ass couldn't talk?

And guys, Jesus, some of you played all games and still can't figure out the story?

During San Andreas Carl broke up with Catalina which is when Catalina met Claude
a little later in the game. Now skipping all the way to GTA III which is a well nine years
or so, Catalina and Claude are still together but, as you all should know, Catalina blows
Claude's brains out.

Yet he's still alive. He's shot in the neck.

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

Getting shot in the neck would likely lead to your death instantly or in that span of time on the ground and into a prison hospital. Get logical.

Rockstar forgot to give Claude a voice actor simply because they were too busy on other things. Also, it can be easily forgotten to not give the protagonist a voice actor since in GTA 1 and 2, the player was never voiced. Just like in 1 and 2, the player was suppose to represent you.

guy0307
  • guy0307

Go Go Go!

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

You can't "forget" to give your protagonist a voice actor...

ayushisrocking
  • ayushisrocking

Winning!

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:30 AM

Well,CJ says that Claude IS mute: an extract when he sees the garage in San Fierro:
"That f*cking snake without a tongue!"
which obviously explains that claude IS mute.

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (girishb @ Aug 14 2007, 18:16)
And just why would he choose not to talk?
Maybe R* didn't want him to talk.

Also, Catalina was Claude's girlfriend in GTA III. So, she must have known his name since then.

She doesn't.

I mena, she does, but it all happens, like, 10 years after SA.

medion505
  • medion505

"Does a polar bear sh*t in the woods?"

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:08 AM Edited by medion505, 14 December 2008 - 07:37 AM.

QUOTE (Wanted Assailant @ Dec 10 2008, 10:57)
Getting shot in the neck would likely lead to your death instantly or in that span of time on the ground and into a prison hospital. Get logical.

Claude was shot and left to die by Catalina, he was then put into a prison hospital. And he is the protagonist in a game where you can be blown up, riddled with bullets, jump off of a 60ft cliff and wake up 6 hours later without a scratch.

As for why claude was never given a speaking role, it does likely have to do with keeping it along the same lines as the previous GTA title. Claude, although his name is not actually mentioned in the game, could be Claude Speed from GTA 2, because although 3 is in a different canon DMA design(now Rockstar North) wanted to keep him in the series.

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

I don't think Claude is necessarily a mute, he just goes through so much sh*t, like Gordon Freeman.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users