The Most Underrated GTA Ever

234 replies to this topic
GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

While I wouldn't say VCS is the MOST underrated GTA game ever, it really is underrated. That's because people expected more out of what came out of the portable GTA games.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

^Agreed, that is also the reason LCS is quite underrated as well. sad.gif
This game is a very very good game that I loved while playing it and I think that everyone should see past it not being as good as GTA SA and see the true beauty of GTA VCS

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

LCS and VCS were both released on the PSP, correct?

I was confused because I saw that they're available to download and play on the PS3 now. I never had the opportunity to play them before since I've never really been interested in the PSP, but now that they're available on the PS3 I might have to give them a try.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Fedor @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 19:06)
LCS and VCS were both released on the PSP, correct?

I was confused because I saw that they're available to download and play on the PS3 now. I never had the opportunity to play them before since I've never really been interested in the PSP, but now that they're available on the PS3 I might have to give them a try.

I've got one thing to say...

DO IT.

You won't regret it, trust me. They're both GREAT additions to the GTA series. Definetly get them if you enjoyed III and VC. Personally, I actually prefer VCS over VC. The storyline is amazing, and touching.

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

I'll have to check the prices on them the next time I sign onto PSN. I believe they were $10 a piece. If that's the case I'll probably get one of them for now.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

^Even though my currency is different, I know that they are definitely $10 a piece (except for San Andreas). So far I have III and LCS smile.gif

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

For me, i would say GTA Advance was the most underrated. I know its boring with topdown view and its crappy graphics but the storyline connects LCS and GTAIII. So for this reason i cant say its a bad game. It just wasnt lucky with the GBA hardware and the release date.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

I would say that it is the Story of Vice City Stories that was underrated.

At the time of release, and even to this day, it was often singled out as the weakest element of the game, to the point where it seemed surprising that reviewers and gamers actually 'cared' about the storyline in a GTA game.

I have my subjective reasons to appreciate the story of Vice City Stories, and I've said it elsewhere in this forum as well, but the interesting thing is that many of the plot elements and character design philosophy for Vice City Stories was later used, either refined or broaden, into the modern GTAs and Rockstar titles.

Subsequently, they all garnered huge amount of praises.

And ironically, I found 'them' to be often quite overrated in comparison to what Vice City Stories actually delivered, despite the technical limitations.

Look at it this way, prior to Vice City Stories, never has Rockstar created a protagonist that evokes the fact that his conscience is bothered by what is happening around him. Perhaps it is the delivery that seems off, and certainly having shiny graphics does help improve the acting performance.

But it was there, the original template to Rockstar's current tradition of delivering down-to-earth pessimism drama.

Carl Johnson may have had doubts about the gangster life and hood mentality, and Toni Cipriani may have had a few moment of seeking repentance by going to the local church, but these were but ideas that didn't fully integrated the actual narrative of their respective stories.

Victor Vance's plight and downfall on the other hand, was all what the story was about.

You can see the amount of resemblance him and his story has with Niko Bellic for a start. Then progressively look at all subsequent Rockstar titles, you'll see that it is all there.

• Mainland Marauder, Failure, HaythamKenway and 2 others like this

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

There were a lot of similarities between the characters of Victor Vance and Niko Bellic. Both have a close family member getting them into trouble. Both seem to be "good guys being forced into doing bad things" which really started with CJ and continued into GTA V with Franklin.

I thought the controls for VCS were unresponsive and made the game more difficult than it should be. To be clear, I did not play this on PSP, but on PS2; I also played LCS on PSP and PS2 and the controls felt better than GTA 3 on PS2. Switching guns and aiming in VCS had a clunky feel to it and it made missions like the one where you're surrounded by girls shooting you with AKs quite frustrating.

The properties/businesses were fun, and I was hoping to see that sort of thing in V. We got the properties and some missions we could do for them, but it would have made sense, for example, to have Trevor's business interests periodically attacked by the Lost. You could have him go over and wipe them out, or put money into security so they can fight them off without your help. There's still a lot of potential with this mechanic, and adds a little more purpose to the game outside missions or even after the storyline is completed.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

It's underrated along with LCS because kids are too worried about drooling at shiny graphics rather than fun stuff.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

i would not say its Underrated Lcs was much better IMO the Storyline was meh with every gta i can Remember least 90% of the Storyline Vcs i can Remember probably  just over half. 

Maybe its cause i got it in 06  on PSP but really did not take that much notice of it at the time  due to the fact   I Was full Fledged addicted   to the Original Saints row at the time  maybe if it Was Made Originally for ps2 it would of lasted longer in my Memory still a good game but not really Underrated IMO.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Judging from the comments on these forums, I'd say the most underrated GTA is GTAV. http://instantrimshot.com/

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

VCS was an awesome game, but I've been playing it recently and the bugs are still there. I will always prefer LCS, but I prefer VCS over VC because the Vice City Stories version of Vice City was Vic's playground. Very interactive, with the empire missions. Loved the vehicle selection, and enjoyed the story.

Meekail
  • Meekail

sleek

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

It sure was a great PSP game indeed. I don't know if it's underrated or not though.

JamalG
  • JamalG

King Jamal

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

yeah, i love that game.. maybe even more then original Vice City

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:28 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 25 January 2014 - 06:57 PM.

I'm going full blown spoiler here but i want to talk about something that happened at the end of the game...

Spoiler

Edit by GTAKid667: USE SPOILER TAGS!!!

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

yeah, i love that game.. maybe even more then original Vice City

GTFO of here :lol: :pp

I think LCS, VCS, TLAD and TBoGT are all underrated somewhat. For me though VCS ruined the feel of VC so even though I like the game it will never be my favourite of the GTA series for that reason alone. Characters where good as was the soundtrack but they just ruined it to much with the businesses buildings all over the place.

gn1992
  • gn1992

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I loved to play it on my deceased PS2 back in 2007  :rampage:

Good old times.

Congrats to the team creating the PC version  :^:  :^:  :^:

Wolf247
  • Wolf247

Writer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Graphics maybe? Those graphics were still "common" in the time of LCS, but VCS was in 2007, and you know how much games we're HD then, since Valve developed Source and it gained popularity.

I'm going full blown spoiler here but i want to talk about something that happened at the end of the game...

Spoiler

When I opened the Spolier, an ad came out and I didn't spoil it after all xD.

Hobs
  • Hobs

"Jolly Old Boy"

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

i personally prefer gta 1 and 2 call me old fashioned :D

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Graphics maybe? Those graphics were still "common" in the time of LCS, but VCS was in 2007, and you know how much games we're HD then, since Valve developed Source and it gained popularity.

Spoiler

When I opened the Spolier, an ad came out and I didn't spoil it after all xD.

I added the spoiler tag, it wasn't there before I edited the post.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:30 AM Edited by im_stoned, 30 January 2014 - 11:24 AM.

I wish people enjoyed the story as much as I did.  I was really moved but the game. Do you think they'll ever do a slight graphics update for the game ? It's the only way we will convince people to give it a ago and when they do they'll be hooked ! It's such a fun game I don't know why people don't give it a chance :(

Rolando Arroyo
  • Rolando Arroyo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

The hardcore fans that own every other game in the series just pretend it doesn't exist, so they can sleep at night.

LMAO ROF

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

The hardcore fans that own every other game in the series just pretend it doesn't exist, so they can sleep at night.

LMAO ROF

What makes you say that? I have never seen this happen before

chatD4VIS-360
  • chatD4VIS-360

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:04 AM

LOVE VCS. Some of the best missions and character development. However LCS was garbage mission wise.

tencrackcommandments
  • tencrackcommandments

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

I found it really awesome. Is there anything new about the PC port some modders are trying to make?

ScatterBox
  • ScatterBox

Lost in Los Santos

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Spoiler

No... no.. I couldn't have....

What have I done?!?!?!

My curiosity got the best of me and I opened the spoiler. Now I know the ending.. :/ (I just got LCS and VCS for my PSP. Never played them before)

I'm still going to play it though. Now I'm just looking forward to the ending even more.

Han RX-7
  • Han RX-7

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

VCS was my favorite of the 3D games. Vic is my second favorite GTA protagonist with Niko being first. Great story; thought it was an improvement over Vice City in every way. I think the only reason many overlook is would be due to the fact it was originally on PSP and by the time they ported it over to the PS2 many had forgotten about it. I myself got it when it first came out since my brother had a PSP and bought the port once it came out. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony paid RS to produce it and LCS for the PSP originally just so the thing had some big name draws to it as I can't fathom why RS didn't just release them on the PS2 to begin with instead of the crappy PSP.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Spoiler

No... no.. I couldn't have....

What have I done?!?!?!

My curiosity got the best of me and I opened the spoiler. Now I know the ending.. :/ (I just got LCS and VCS for my PSP. Never played them before)

I'm still going to play it though. Now I'm just looking forward to the ending even more.

Well, there wouldn't have been spoiler tags in the first place, if I didn't come along and edit the post :p
At least you had the option ;)

SentinelXSVCS22
  • SentinelXSVCS22

IV

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:13 AM Edited by SentinelXSVCS22, 16 March 2014 - 11:14 AM.

I don't think personally that Vice City Stories is underrated. I mean yes the game is limited, but only because it was on the PSP, and maybe a few thought it could have more. But I find VCS an interesting and brilliant game as a whole. 

And I don't know if anyone has discovered this yet or witnessed it. But in GTA IV, in a conversion between Niko and Roman after an activity, both of them repeat definitely along the lines of what Victor Vance and Lance Vance said to one another during an earlier mission cutscene in VCS, which R* thought might to include in IV somewhere to remind fans of GTA about their previous game/games.

VCS to me is packed with a lot of things to do, and graphics of games don't bother me one bit. Story and Characters are the most important to me, and everything else not too bothered about, especially the graphics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users