Photo

The Most Underrated GTA Ever

234 replies to this topic
VictorVance2006
  • VictorVance2006

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

What I meant was that there was very little hype to the build up of this game, and sales wise it did poorly for a psp game. people actually thought it was some crappy expansion pack, why are people so ignorent. angry.gif

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

Just one of those days...

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (chillwinston8717 @ Jul 27 2007, 10:39)
I dont think many people here know what underated actually means.
If a game is really good, but doesnt receive much attention, it is underated (eg VCS)
If a game isn't very good, and doesnt get much attention, then it isnt underated; its just a crap game. Underated games are those which deserve to be known as a good game, not just games that nobody has heard of that arnt good.

Are you calling Advance or London '61, "crap"?

chillwinston8717
  • chillwinston8717

Stop talking, slick

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (jnzooger @ Jul 27 2007, 13:50)
QUOTE (chillwinston8717 @ Jul 27 2007, 10:39)
I dont think many people here know what underated actually means.
If a game is really good, but doesnt receive much attention, it is underated (eg VCS)
If a game isn't very good, and doesnt get much attention, then it isnt underated; its just a crap game. Underated games are those which deserve to be known as a good game, not just games that nobody has heard of that arnt good.

Are you calling Advance or London '61, "crap"?

No, I was talking about the guy who said Vice City was underated, and GTA for game boy colour. Vice City wasnt underated, and the game boy colour game i dont know how much attention it got, but it was a pretty bad game.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (poikly @ Jul 26 2007, 22:15)
GTA2 is the best out of the classics and only got a Gamespot rating of 6.9!

How do we know it wasn't a joke? sly.gif

Yeah, I think alot of people were just nitpicking at VCS, instead of enjoying what they had. If you don't like it, I'd like to see you do better.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

I drink your milkshake

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:57 AM

IMO, Vice City Stories is underrated. It's a great game, but most people and gaming sites just can't get past some of the annoying glitches. Personally, it's my second favorite GTA (right behind San Andreas). None of the GTA games deserve to go unnoticed. Sure, this one sold "okay", but I bet you that if the PS2 version had a higher review, it would've sold like crazy. And a PC or Xbox port really wouldn't help becuase they would more than likely recieve the 'so-so' reviews that the PSP and PS2 versions got. Most consumers buy things that are deemed as "good" by professional reviewers.

Plus, with a name like "Vice City Stories", most people probably thought that it was just an expansion pack to Vice City, just like how London: 1969 was an expansion of GTA I.

Either way, I'm sure that GTA IV will remedy the situation.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:50 AM

Well, really VC, SA, LCS and VCS are all "expantion packs" to III. They just don't require the original to play.

Skirge
  • Skirge

A fan

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:34 AM Edited by Skirge, 28 July 2007 - 05:38 AM.

I tell you why VCS is underrated and LCS overrated.

Look at me - I have a PSP, and LCS. I don't have VCS.
Reason is simple - People overrated LCS because they thought that it will be like SA in LC. They were wrong, so they thought that VCS won't be much different either. They didn't want to waste their money in a very little modified Vice City game. viddy_pirate.gif

QUOTE ("jznooger")
Well, really VC, SA, LCS and VCS are all "expantion packs" to III
I think that VCS is an expansion pack for VC, not III.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

Some people seem to be confused as to what underrated means. Just because something is obscure, and not known to many people doesn't mean it's underrated. When something does not get acclaim or praise up to its overall level of quality, then it is underrated.

In this case, I think the reaction to VCS is apt. It was ok, but it wasn't great. I enjoyed it more than LCS, but it's not really an amazing game. It's adequate. Maybe it isn't even the game that is at fault, maybe we are all simply used to the gameplay that current GTA titles offer, and it doesn't feel fresh anymore.

chillwinston8717
  • chillwinston8717

Stop talking, slick

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

And i dont know why everybody is complaining, I have PS2 version and have encounted no glitches yet

Rob.
  • Rob.

Don't Stop

• Zaibatsu

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

For me, playing VCS the way it was intended without the cheat device running at 266Mhz or whatever the default battery speed is for the PSP, the number of problems I personally encountered whislt playing the game made it unsatisfactory.

I saw alot of potential, and the graphix were nice. But the problem came for me in the form of the pop-up, loading times, and fumbling controls and frame-rate.

I haven't played VCS on the PS2, so I don't know if it's any better, but from what I saw on the PSP, it was good, just not great.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (Rob. @ Jul 28 2007, 22:24)
I haven't played VCS on the PS2, so I don't know if it's any better, but from what I saw on the PSP, it was good, just not great.

The PS2 controls are far more functional. As you'd expect.

Hrimfaxi
  • Hrimfaxi

The Doctor

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (Fuzzy Juzzy @ Jul 29 2007, 03:11)

Plus the whole steering-while-doing-drive-bys is a bit of a nice feature that would be nice if possible on the PSP.

I don't think VCS is underrated, I just think people got tired of GTA after seeing a GTA's full potential on San Andreas, and knowing the PSP games couldn't aspire to that, that they would just be stripped down versions of the PS2 games (Which they kind of are, not saying they're bad or anything, they do rule).

8-Bit Noise
  • 8-Bit Noise

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

GTA: Advance is probably most underrated, I haven't even heard of it until I joined this forum, and both the stories are also underrated, because they are only on Sony systems, and Xbox and PC release would boost sales by lots.

badjab
  • badjab

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Hrimfaxi @ Jul 30 2007, 17:58)

Plus the whole steering-while-doing-drive-bys is a bit of a nice feature that would be nice if possible on the PSP.

I don't think VCS is underrated, I just think people got tired of GTA after seeing a GTA's full potential on San Andreas, and knowing the PSP games couldn't aspire to that, that they would just be stripped down versions of the PS2 games (Which they kind of are, not saying they're bad or anything, they do rule).

you can steer while doing drive bys, just change your controls, and imo vcs is the best gta yet rahkstar2.gif , S.A. is overrated and vcs is underrated, people just dont seem to like what they cant relate to sly.gif

Rashon.
  • Rashon.

What Comes Around Goes Around

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (8-Bit Noise @ Jul 30 2007, 14:07)
GTA: Advance is probably most underrated, I haven't even heard of it until I joined this forum, and both the stories are also underrated, because they are only on Sony systems, and Xbox and PC release would boost sales by lots.

It kind of is. To show for that, it's in the Old Skool part of the forum while it came out near the time of San Andreas. I mean, it's not that popular or posted in much, but it doesn't deserve to be in there since it's not that old.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

• Members

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Rashon. @ Aug 2 2007, 15:04)
QUOTE (8-Bit Noise @ Jul 30 2007, 14:07)

It kind of is. To show for that, it's in the Old Skool part of the forum while it came out near the time of San Andreas. I mean, it's not that popular or posted in much, but it doesn't deserve to be in there since it's not that old.

I disagree. Being a topdown GTA, it is old-skool style. Thus it belongs in that section.

Oh, and I believe it came out the same day as San Andreas.

Randomname01
  • Randomname01

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:50 AM

Ya, same here. When I got VCS, I expected a good game, but I felt as if they killed it or something. I mean after the greatness of SA, LCS was still good, since we understood it was worn down. But then after VSC came out, it sort of killed it.

I'm waiting for GTA 4 to revive the GTA series, but we have to wait unti April of next year.

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

if anything VCS is overated yes it has some great features like the driving range, empire mode, some interesting safe houses, some new vehicles and new weapons. But the problems with it is the story wasn't as solid as previous releases like you were always getting sidetracked by Lance or somebody else and another thing is there was no cool big safehouse like Diaz's Mansion or Madd Doggs.

PaleRider
  • PaleRider

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Randomname01 @ Aug 3 2007, 01:50)

Ya, same here. When I got VCS, I expected a good game, but I felt as if they killed it or something. I mean after the greatness of SA, LCS was still good, since we understood it was worn down. But then after VSC came out, it sort of killed it.

I'm waiting for GTA 4 to revive the GTA series, but we have to wait unti April of next year.

LCS is a dissapointment even compared to the older LC-game too. Graphics are the worst I`ve seen on a PS2-game ever cry.gif

tommy vs. claude
  • tommy vs. claude

Wave good-bye to your head wanker!

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

lcs was the most underrated.

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:29 AM

Haha, am I the only one who bought GTA Advance and didn't like it enough to finish it? Apparently I can sell it for the big bucks?!

I don't know, the glitch in VCS where cars ALWAYS dissappear when you save the game was pretty damn annoying (at your three main safe houses, I mean). Not as bad as the SA glitch where they actually could disappear from the garages, but it really got in the way of the flow of the game to have to go steal a new car after every time I saved.

Anyway, VCS seemed very, I don't know. It's the only one I haven't bothered to get 100% for and actually said to myself, "Why am I bothering?" It takes more to make me go through timed checkpoint courses than the promise of unlimited ammo nowadays.

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

vcs and lcs are both great games, thet WERE NOT side progects!

willgtavcs
  • willgtavcs

haven't been here for years

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

vice city stories is good but not on ps2 graphics better on psp look better more hd more colourful
and not so blurry god i wis i got a psp at the time with the psp the bad framerate is less noticable and more neat ps2 falt surface are like this +++++++////;;;____----___---__--_-__---_-__--_--___ anyway you get the idea

badjab
  • badjab

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Gantons Most Wanted @ Aug 3 2007, 11:15)
if anything VCS is overated yes it has some great features like the driving range, empire mode, some interesting safe houses, some new vehicles and new weapons. But the problems with it is the story wasn't as solid as previous releases like you were always getting sidetracked by Lance or somebody else and another thing is there was no cool big safehouse like Diaz's Mansion or Madd Doggs.

no sas story wasnt solid, cj was always getting sidetracked by everyone.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

LCS isn't underrated, it's the PSPs best selling game. tounge.gif As for VCS, it got great reviews for it's abilities, soundtrack, cast, etc, but the Story did let it down quite a lot which a lot of reviews stated. Unlike LCS which actually cleared up a few things from GTAIII, VCS lacked a reason and underused some characters.

Outlawz101
  • Outlawz101

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (Delerious @ Jul 23 2007, 10:11)
Have you realised how many glitches there are? Especially that f*cking annoying draw distance one? It'd be my favourite game if it didn't have the glitch crap.

Word.

And if the target system actually targetted the ones you need to shoot.

Thomas2
  • Thomas2

The Laughing Madcap

• Members

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

VC i by far the best GTA game, and S.A is close behind, reason? Atmosphere, the most important thing in the GTA series, GTAIII LACKED all kind of atmosphere, but it's still a damn game, but it becomes unplayable after youve played VC and SA. IMO, VC is a timeless classic, still play it to this day.

BTW; LCS and VCS ARE SIDE GAMES FOR R*. what the hell did you think?

Rashon.
  • Rashon.

What Comes Around Goes Around

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Delerious @ Jul 23 2007, 10:11)
Have you realised how many glitches there are? Especially that f*cking annoying draw distance one? It'd be my favourite game if it didn't have the glitch crap.

San Andreas had worse glitches and it's like the game's so good, nobody notices it.

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:03 AM

I agree, it is the most underrated 3D GTA.

However, Advance is the most underrated GTA on the whole. In fact, it's the only GTA that I've never played. Ever. Yet strangely, I know the story back to front.

Nonetheless, San Andreas had it's fault, so did Vice City and III. III in my opinion seems a little fake; in my opinion, none of the characters can relate to anyone on earth, in movement, speech, anything. It seems fake. Plus, the atmosphere is so dark, grainy and cold, it can make you sick sometimes.

That's the thing I love about Vice City. The atmosphere is warm, sunny and calm which is therefore relaxing. San Andreas' environment is nice, but for some reason it seems a little overplayed.

Nonetheless, I'm sure that all GTA games are as classic and IV won't dissapoint. icon14.gif

Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (jnzooger @ Jul 23 2007, 02:50)
I disagree...GTA Advance is. Evidence: A load of members on this forum don't even know what it is, even though Rockstar warehouse has the game listed as "Sold Out".

Well, it's sold out because they weren't selling enough and making more would waste manufacturing dollars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users