• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:25 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 18 September 2017 - 03:26 PM.

I seen Kormac and his big band play live a couple of NYE's ago. Amazing gig. Didn't really know his stuff before, just bits and bobs. I really should pick up some of his stuff.

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

Any fans of Four Tet here? His new album is due any day now (can't remember when exactly) and I'm quietly optimistic. I wasn't too fond of his last release Morning/Evening at first but it did grow on me. I think he suits the longer tracks that have time and room to develop. Here's one of the songs known to be on his upcoming album, New Energy.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:02 PM Edited by EmSixTeen, 26 September 2017 - 06:02 PM.

Any fans of Four Tet here? His new album is due any day now (can't remember when exactly) and I'm quietly optimistic. I wasn't too fond of his last release Morning/Evening at first but it did grow on me. I think he suits the longer tracks that have time and room to develop. Here's one of the songs known to be on his upcoming album, New Energy.

JbGom_FLTCU

I love Four Tet, but not on the front foot searching for music any more.. Just happened to catch him posting some obscure Spotify track under random artist names - didn't realise an album was on the way!

Every time this plays after not hearing it for a while, I can't get enough of it.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

https://www.newgroun...ated=1506791229

Something new from me <3

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

One of my favorite tracks from Forza Horizon 3.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

I have always got time for Boards Of Canada... always. I believe they'll release an album before the year is out.

A few years ago I found out that DJ Hi-Tek (producer and beat wrangler behind a lot of Die Antwoord's music) releases solo music under the alias of Seven Ark. I snapped up his album Noise Of The New some time back and it's a great listen, very atmospheric and if you weren't aware prior you'd probably have trouble believing he has anything to do with Die Antwoord at all.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:49 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 15 November 2017 - 08:50 AM.

I hope so!  I've become kind of obsessed with all their work over the last few years.

Didn't know about Seven Ark. That's really nice actually. Cheers for putting me on to him. 

Been listening to a bit of Plaid this week. This is a nice track..

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

Plaid's an artist I haven't really listened to all that much. I think I've spent so long in my Boards Of Canada bubble that I've completely overlooked him. I do have some tracks knocking about though, mostly from compilations. Oddly, I seem to enjoy his remix treatments more than his original output. This track is from that massive vinyl boxset Warp Records released a few years ago.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

I get you with the Boards bubble. I love BoC that when I try find something similar, I'm just thinking "it's not BoC" though :p If that makes sense. Autechre is another. My old buddy's two favourite artists are BoC and Autechre but found Autechre a little harder to get in to. Although I do enjoy Incunabula. I can like them but can't seem to love them. Maybe I should try again. I did enjoy that remix though. 

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Autechre are a weird one for me. When I heard Tri Repetae I loved it. There was so much character hidden between these beats that sounded like they could fall apart at any moment. It felt like what Boards Of Canada would make if they'd gone insane and spent their childhood listening to drill and bass. Nothing else of theirs has really caught me. I was very intrigued when they released their mammoth elseq project last year, which is essentially five hours worth of glitch and experimental music. I still haven't managed to get through it, I just pick at the tracks here and there.

Here's a comparison:

• Mister Pink likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Been really digging Jamie xx lately. He puts out a lot of low-key and atmospheric house tracks that are perfect to unwind to after a long day. 

This ones a personal favourite of mine from In Colour and also a very underrated one. Reminds me of drifting off to sleep on a train while its raining outside. 

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

the greater good

• Facade Corporation
  • Mexico
  • Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:48 AM

Neat young talent from France:

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

Group Therapy

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

Some Classic Trance being produced in 2017. Miracle.

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

Trance is well overdue a subtle comeback. It was done to death in the late 90s and early 00s but I'm keen to hear what can be done with today's software and hardware.

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

the greater good

• Facade Corporation
  • Mexico
  • Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:43 AM

New EP by Porter Robinson's side project dropped yesterday:

GLegend
  • GLegend

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:40 PM Edited by GLegend, 07 December 2017 - 02:41 PM.

Kygo dropped orchestral version of his Stargazing collab with Justin Jesso a day ago. But I'm not talking about the orchestral version but the original one. Tropical house(i think)is not my taste, but Kygo made it awesome with Stargazing.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

I hate how EVERY electronic genre is clumped in here. There should be separate topics for Drum and Bass, Techno, Trance etc.

• Arrows to Athens and SeroH like this

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:41 PM

Then they would be spread too thin.

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:00 AM

It's often hard to separate genres into topics because even the most blanket of labels can stifle discussion. While it is true that trance and ambient couldnt be further apart from each other, they're often both electronic in nature and it's best that all sub-genres are kept together, lest we end up with a single page topic dedicated to breakcore with about four posters sharing YouTube links and drooling all over themselves. Besides, a lot of electronic music blends genres to the point it's hard to categorise at all. If it's electronic, stick it in here - nobody is going to tell you you're in the wrong place.
  • Mister Pink and Arrows to Athens like this

anubis.
  • anubis.

nihil timendum est

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

Everything in this channel is amazing. It's craaazy:

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted A week ago

Listened to this from the EP Safety this afternoon. A techno track from an artist known as Yen Towers, this starts off as a minimal, textured track before shifting slightly to incorporate elements from industrial, stripping away anything organic that might have even been lingering. The last two minutes are quite intense if you're playing loud as much of the instrumental fades away to reveal what can only be described as a foundry's pulse.

• Mister Pink likes this

Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Far, far away...

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

It's often hard to separate genres into topics because even the most blanket of labels can stifle discussion. While it is true that trance and ambient couldnt be further apart from each other, they're often both electronic in nature and it's best that all sub-genres are kept together, lest we end up with a single page topic dedicated to breakcore with about four posters sharing YouTube links and drooling all over themselves. Besides, a lot of electronic music blends genres to the point it's hard to categorise at all. If it's electronic, stick it in here - nobody is going to tell you you're in the wrong place.

You have a good point. For metal, we would then need to have separate threads for metalcore, deathcore, death metal, thrash metal, doom metal, black metal, industrial metal, funk metal, nu metal, etc., and it would be all over the place.

• Mister Pink likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

• Members
  • Poland

Posted A week ago

You have a good point. For metal, we would then need to have separate threads for metalcore, deathcore, death metal, thrash metal, doom metal, black metal, industrial metal, funk metal, nu metal, etc., and it would be all over the place.

It's a bit of a different story. Electronic music here is treated as one genre, whereas it's not one but like 15 different styles. THEN they go into subgenres. 

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted A week ago Edited by Mister Pink, A week ago.

Nobody is treating Electronic music as one genre, it's just for forum functionality purposes. No point in having a Psytrance thread, Drum & Bass, Acid Jazz, Braindance, Dubstep  thread etc etc, because although we have some hardcore fans of those genres (hardcore fans, they're usually the people to complain there aren't individual threads) they are active in the music forum and might keep a thread alive for a couple of weeks then they disappear and the thread dies. Then someone new comes along, makes a duplicate topic. That gets locked or is kept on and the other dies or both die. Remember this is a GTA Forum with an off-topic Music forum and then to have genres then sub-genres is really a stretch. Perhaps if it was primarily a music forum, yes.

Besides, most people that like genres that can be categorized under "Electronic Music" love more than one style. Fans of A Guy Called Gerald, Aphex Twin or Luke Vibert could essentially be posting in 5 different threads if we had individual threads for each genre. Why not keep it all in one topic and that way we're all exposed to something new. 

In fact, this topic struggles to stay alive at times. Breaking down further, wouldn't help. Kind of like the Rap and Hip Hop topic is all-encompassing. No point in having separate old school-boom-bap, Horrorcore, Turntablism threads. Bandy together to keep it lit. 

Twin Peaks meets old-school Techno...

And something soothing for your soul...

• Arrows to Athens likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Biographer Seahorse

• Canary-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted A week ago

Speaking of A Guy Called Gerald, just snapped up a few tracks from his Bandcamp page. They seem to be under a series called The Producer's Cut but they're more stand-alone songs as opposed to being taken from an album. I'm not sure how I feel about that format but I'm just pleased to own more songs from him. This is one of them.

• Mister Pink likes this

Plage
  • Plage

Self Medicated

• Members
  • Nepal

Posted A week ago

https://soundcloud.c...agdalena-berlin

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted A week ago

Speaking of A Guy Called Gerald, just snapped up a few tracks from his Bandcamp page. They seem to be under a series called The Producer's Cut but they're more stand-alone songs as opposed to being taken from an album. I'm not sure how I feel about that format but I'm just pleased to own more songs from him. This is one of them.

Love that old amen-break-style Jungle sound, especially the bass. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users