Photo

Official Electronic Music Topic

1,275 replies to this topic
John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Disco is my favorite genre of dance music. I have a particular soft spot for edits/remixes of classic '70s/'80s tunes. Not necessarily really cheesy chart type stuff but deeper stuff. The tracks I've mentioned below from the releases in the links are two great recent examples. They're great summer tunes.

Psychemagik - Dance Hall Days (Leg Warmer Remix)
http://www.junodownl...ays/1926260-02/

Late Nite Tuff Guy - Baby... You Fooled Around
http://www.junodownl...008/1919670-02/

Here's a great release with some cool breakbeat tunes. Check out the Vanilla Ice sample on Chudy - Movin' To The Funky Beat.

http://www.junodownl...-ep/1930592-02/

This is the kind of stuff that puts me in a good mood. Have a good summer.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Caught this the other day, pretty enjoyable. Even if the "lyrics" are essentially a CoD player's inner monologue, they're delivered with some charismatic conviction.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Had the pleasure of watching Aphex Twin blasting this insane Jungle track out at an outdoor gig last year in my city.

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hardwell is the best and always will be.

[CTD]LaBan
  • [CTD]LaBan

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:22 PM Edited by [CTD]LaBan, 25 October 2012 - 10:01 AM.

::

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Also has anyone heard of Moombahton and its sub-genre Moombahcore? Only like 4 months ago I never heard of it.

Viciousliquids
  • Viciousliquids

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Ambient Electronic music, kinda reminds me of the Manhunt soundtrack. Also members from this were in Napalm Death.

DonutPT
  • DonutPT

IBRACADABRA

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 23:50)
Everything this dude makes is legendary.

user posted image

Hmmm nope.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I kinda have to agree. He's a little too Pop for me. I mean he has some nice sounds and I can see why kids like him but it's a little simple, a little teenagerish kind of music for me. Wow. I sound like an idiot. - However I do adore - I Remember. It's moody, ambient, the beat is generic, the vocals are lovely.

Posted this in the Q-Lounge... It's off Aphex Twin's, 26 Remix's For Cash. Remix of 808 State's Flow Coma.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

It seems I'd seen those earlier postings you've done with Aphex, or someone around here did, they are darlings of the GTAForums! haha

Spin magazine has a cover story issue or FULL issue about Electronica music at the moment, it's popular artists, trends, scene, I saw that this week on the news stand

DonutPT
  • DonutPT

IBRACADABRA

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 10:34)
I kinda have to agree. He's a little too Pop for me. I mean he has some nice sounds and I can see why kids like him but it's a little simple, a little teenagerish kind of music for me. Wow. I sound like an idiot. - However I do adore - I Remember. It's moody, ambient, the beat is generic, the vocals are lovely.

Posted this in the Q-Lounge... It's off Aphex Twin's, 26 Remix's For Cash. Remix of 808 State's Flow Coma.

Nice, man. It could be me who wrote this post wink.gif Also...Aphex Twin rocks.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 12:44)
It seems I'd seen those earlier postings you've done with Aphex, or someone around here did, they are darlings of the GTAForums! haha

Spin magazine has a cover story issue or FULL issue about Electronica music at the moment, it's popular artists, trends, scene, I saw that this week on the news stand

If Aphex Twin or one of his monikers is posted it's most likely by me Craig or one of The Connection guys. Could have sworn I see one of our chaps sporting the Aphex Twin logo which is strangely like the Half-Life logo but Aphex's was designed in 1992.

user posted image

You'll have to forgive my latest posting of Aphex Twin tracks. Going on a bit of a bender of his music, lately.

Slamman, I know it's not really your cup of tea but this guy is truly a legend. Making very, very complex beats, rhythms and some times sounds created by algorithms. He's created many sub-genres and a lot of people try imitate his music. Some of it would be down-right unlistenable but can be appreciated in the sense of knowing how difficult it is to create. The timing, how the rhythms constantly evolve and some of the sounds he designed by either modifying synths by taking them apart and bending the circuits.

I used to just appreciate the effort of his work. The newness of it. You have to acquire him as a taste. You have to break down what you 'learned' is music. He does not stick to any 'rules' musically so it's always unpredictable and surprising. After you get accustomed to his music its hard going back to normal 4/4 timing rock. It truly is. It's like he broke down all the rules of song structure and remade them himself. Some call it IDM (a term he doesn't like apparently) which stands for Intelligent Dance Music, (love to see you dance to most of his work tounge.gif ) but he coined the phrase Braindance. Like I said, after inducing yourself in his music you get to a level where other stuff can just seem predictable. He says he's not really in to rock but according to wiki he cites Zeppelin (for their use of breakbeats) and Pink Floyd's psychedelia as influences.

And easy track to ease you in to Aphex Twin, if you're curious, is his most commercial track Windowlicker. If you have an appreciation for film and editing you will like this...it's directed by the legend, Chris Cunningham

The intro is genius.

Something more chilled, shows his music talent for melody and harmonies..

And lastly, this an an example of 'unlistenable'* (if you're not used to it) stuff. Check this video out. It's truly genius...The editing and timing is unmistakably Chris Cunninghams work. Freaky, freaky video.

DonutPT
  • DonutPT

IBRACADABRA

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

One of my all time fav.

Juice By Kayla Marie
  • Juice By Kayla Marie

space vision; blast off

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

All of deadmau5 sh*t sounds the same... haha at least most of it.. definitely not legendary.
I forgot how to post videos but I absolutely love the come to daddy video wink.gif

Juice By Kayla Marie
  • Juice By Kayla Marie

space vision; blast off

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

sh*t, sorry I double posted!

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Okay a huge plug from my main resource of all electronica music currently; Monstercat Media an independant record label for EDM artists. They are really great in my opinion, they have huge variety since they spilt their music in categories like Dubstep, Drumstep, Drum & Bass, House, Electro, Hard Dance, Trance and a collective EDM for all in between. They are releasing their first 3 albums for free (usually 10 bucks a pop) as a celebration of their 6th album. I just think this record label is just awesome, promoting independent EDM artists that would normally be just a another grain of sand in a desert of Youtube EDM channels.

I highly advise you check them out, and we all like free stuff right?

http://monstercat.com/006/

user posted image

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Look forward to catching this guy with Craig at Bangface this September..

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:15 PM Edited by 860, 27 April 2012 - 07:27 PM.

Know any good hip hoppish dubstep/bass centered glitch hop like this?

DonutPT
  • DonutPT

IBRACADABRA

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Damn!

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:07 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 04 May 2012 - 12:11 PM.

Eddie Matos - Hypnotized (Jazztronik Loves MJ Remix)

I love Jazztronik and urge you to check out his stuff.

Ruben & Ra - My Love

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hey can anyone tell why "Brostep" and portrayed figurehead Skrillex is so criticized? I don't produce dubstep myself, but from what I've read dubstep 'purists' really dislike the the content called brostep. I've heard it's the emphasis of mid-range registers rather than the bass of 20hz which is why it's called dubstep, I'm not sure, that's what I got from researching. I frankly don't find it too much of a big deal. "Regular" people who aren't EDM enthusiasts will just umbrella term all EDM under "Techno" or this 'new' sound called "Dubstep". I just see comments on YT and such of Skrillex/brostep bashing.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:20 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 08 May 2012 - 04:23 PM.

The frequency thing is correct but I think it's the fan base. When I first starting hearing Dubstep about 6 years ago it was a very underground thing. You know how possesive people get over their underground music and how much it hurts to see it go in to the mainstream. Skrillex brought it mainstream, made it really melodic and the sort of ideals of Dubstep being dark and danky underground electronic music, has now become melodic/commercial etc. His credentials with regard to band he was in don't help things either.

I think it's embarrassing for some folk when they've been part of an underground music movement, now they share this genre with young teeny bopper girls.

Juice By Kayla Marie
  • Juice By Kayla Marie

space vision; blast off

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 11:20)
The frequency thing is correct but I think it's the fan base. When I first starting hearing Dubstep about 6 years ago it was a very underground thing. You know how possesive people get over their underground music and how much it hurts to see it go in to the mainstream. Skrillex brought it mainstream, made it really melodic and the sort of ideals of Dubstep being dark and danky underground electronic music, has now become melodic/commercial etc. His credentials with regard to band he was in don't help things either.

I think it's embarrassing for some folk when they've been part of an underground music movement, now they share this genre with young teeny bopper girls.

I've been listening to electronic music for years & go to a lot of electronic shows. now half my facebook friendlist goes to the same events.. People who are like "what the f*ck are you listening too?" now listen to the mainstream electronic music like skrillex and claim we like the same music.. -_- ugh, no... & they call all electronic music dubstep thanks to him. Even though he says he doesn't make dubstep n which he doesn't. glad i'm not a skrillex fan. lol

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

So, I will openly hold my hands up to grabbing a leak of this when I found it, but the difference being I was already sold on a purchase before I'd even heard any of it, knowing the artist like I do and expecting a journey.

I'm talking, of course, about Tom Jenkinson, commonly known as Squarepusher. This is his new album Ufabulum.

user posted image

I've listened to it about half a dozen times through-out before picking out solid favourites, one of them being the brilliant Dark Steering (video below). Here, Jenkinson peels back his usual layers of jazz improvisation and stream of consciousness granular experimentation for something much closer to his recent Shobaleader One project two years ago, which met mixed reviews. Namely, these are solid songs. Songs you can hum along to as well as dance to. While there are still plenty of bass jams and skittering beats, this is an album of actual catchy tunes.

Here is a video for Dark Steering.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Benjimino234 @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 13:21)
Hey can anyone tell why "Brostep" and portrayed figurehead Skrillex is so criticized? I don't produce dubstep myself, but from what I've read dubstep 'purists' really dislike the the content called brostep. I've heard it's the emphasis of mid-range registers rather than the bass of 20hz which is why it's called dubstep, I'm not sure, that's what I got from researching. I frankly don't find it too much of a big deal. "Regular" people who aren't EDM enthusiasts will just umbrella term all EDM under "Techno" or this 'new' sound called "Dubstep". I just see comments on YT and such of Skrillex/brostep bashing.

The base reason is because if you ever like something before it becomes cool, chances are you're going to be a bit of a hipster about it when the mainstream picks it up and runs with it.

In other news, I went to see Knife Party the over the Bank Holiday weekend at Digital in Newcastle. Sh*t was off the chain son.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:21 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 09 May 2012 - 07:34 PM.

QUOTE (Robinski @ Wednesday, May 9 2012, 19:43)
QUOTE (Benjimino234 @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 13:21)

The base reason is because if you ever like something before it becomes cool, chances are you're going to be a bit of a hipster about it when the mainstream picks it up and runs with it.

In other news, I went to see Knife Party the over the Bank Holiday weekend at Digital in Newcastle. Sh*t was off the chain son.

It's not being a hipster about it. You find something pure, beautiful. You love it, cherish it. Then that same thing, get's passed in to the wrong hands, they manipulate it and turn it in to something more appealing for the average joe schmuck, who wouldn't consider himself much a music buff but has a history of liking 'whatever my mates like or is on the radio.' What you've been listening, your little hidden gem, is now something else but people are calling it the same thing. Some people don't want to be associated with something they see isn't what those people represent.

For example, Beastie Boys made hugely creative, alternative Hip Hop, amongst other genres of music but mainly Hip-Hop after originally being a punk band. It's beautiful music, then the likes of Sum 41 retards immitatiing them but completely missing the point. Now if you were a Beastie Boys fan and someone then said, oh you must like Sum 41, they rap in a song Fat Lip. You'd be offended.

Track is practically Super Disco Breakin' by Beastie Boys, lol.

Music is obviously subjective but you can measure music to an extent and Beastie Boys are marginally much more talented than Sum 41 will ever be in all aspects of music, down to their musical inspirations and much much broader and eclectic taste and production of music.

So you understand why some people would like to disassociate themselves by making it clear that if someone is making a genre of music that they feel is being diluted, manipulated or has garnerd popularity by a mainstream audience, why they wont like it.

Some people like pop and mainstream music. That's fine but usually, for a lot of music lovers it represents a culture that's not so much concerned about making quality music but more so about gaining most fans, fame, money.

Some musicians start off with great intentions. Others do dodgy deals with record labels and are manipulated and forced to change their sound to appeal to a wide audience. Now, I don't fall in to the demographic that I need to hear a verse-chorus, verse-chorus, break-chorus-chorus song. I find it insulting. Nor do I need to hear music that samples one loop from a classic 80's song and just loops it a million times in one song to get my attention. No. Some people do and it's their cup of tea, so the idea of something becoming mainstream is associated with the stigma of what the mainstream represents.

There are exceptions though. Some people are just that good that that it's mainstream, like The Beatles or MIA. MIA would make alternative music but she gets a little airplay but she's just that good. A lot of her stuff wouldn't normally make it on the radio but she manages to get great stuff on there.

@Kayla: I totally agree. I mean, it kind of annoys me about the hipsters I went to college with. I knew some of them when I was younger and they listened to bad pop music and would have been the sort to laugh at what you're wearing because you didn't dress like them. As soon as the hipster trend came a long they jumped on this bandwagon, became trendy, I suppose most of them were always trendy and now they can be trendy looking but alternative at the same time. lol

@craig: That cover is just amazing.

Has anyone checked out Lone? My Spanish friend posted my a vid of theirs on facebook. Really nice. Craig, I'd say you'll like it.

This is Space Diemension Controller^. Lots of hardware production. Chap from Belfast, Ireland. Think he was about 19 when he created this. Went to see him twice. This man is going places. Have a listen and tell me that you don't like it. It's really beautiful. Lovely atmosphere, retro sounding created with love.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

I heard of Lone through a review from The Needle Drop, I haven't had chance to delve, still in the middle of my Guided By Voices and Praxis binge. I'll get onto it though, it does sound good.

Also, a bunch of new acts have been announced for Bangface 2012 in Newquay, including Tim Exile, uZiq, Bong-Ra and DJ Yoda. Very excited.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Nice. Must check out some more uZig. Keep meaning to all the time. Good news. icon14.gif

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

If you're looking at listening to uZiq, I recommend Royal Astronomy and Bluff Limbo. His work as Kid Spatula is good too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users