Photo

GTA Vice gta_vc.set file

28 replies to this topic
Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:33 PM

Just installed Vice on my computer, and whenever I try to change my resolution, it crashes.

I was just wondering if someone could give me their gta_vc.set file with the resolution set at 1280x1024. It would be a big help.

If anyone knows anything about this problem - my specs are as follows: Pentium 4 660 (3.6GHz), 2GB RAM DDR2, Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX, etc, etc.

Thanks.

Ja750
  • Ja750

Five

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

Couldn't you just try another re-install?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

Couldn't you just try to delete the [.set] file?

If you had updated your GFX drivers before, most likely you forgot to delete the most overlooked file in "My Documents" -> "Vice City User Files".

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Cran. @ Jul 13 2007, 07:33)
I was just wondering if someone could give me their gta_vc.set file

That file is not transferable for the same reason anybody that alters their PC usually has to delete it. If you delete it, the game will make a new one. Selecting that resolution shouldn't crash your game anyways. Do you mean to say the monitor goes black? Because that would indicate that your monitor can't handle that resolution.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:33 PM Edited by Cran., 16 July 2007 - 12:45 PM.

QUOTE (Demarest @ Jul 14 2007, 07:30)
QUOTE (Cran. @ Jul 13 2007, 07:33)
I was just wondering if someone could give me their gta_vc.set file

That file is not transferable for the same reason anybody that alters their PC usually has to delete it. If you delete it, the game will make a new one. Selecting that resolution shouldn't crash your game anyways. Do you mean to say the monitor goes black? Because that would indicate that your monitor can't handle that resolution.

Oh.

My monitor supports it. When I change the resolution from the default (640x480x16) to any resolution, the screen stays the same and I hear a beep. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that is a crash.

@Ring_of_Fire haven't updated them in months, using ForceWare 84.63. These offer the best performance for me.
@Ja750 reinstalled it once already. No difference.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

Do you have a SET file present at the moment? If so, nuke it so VC can create another, hopefully working one.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:56 AM

Yeah.. deleted it many times now.

Trying different video drivers now confused.gif

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (Cran. @ Jul 16 2007, 23:56)
etc, etc.

Ack, we don't support non-working copies of Vice City! And you didn't even tell us the exact OS, which was mentioned in the pinned troubleshooting threads. rolleyes.gif

BTW, it such a dumb thing to downgrade drivers. Newer drivers always can work - it is just a matter of how to fix it. For instance:

1 Did you deleted older drivers in Add/Remove Programs as yet?
2. Did you even try to restore to the factory default settings in nVidia Control Panel?
3. Is your graphics hardware driver supported for Windows XP/Vista (thus, have you tried Windows 98 compatibility)?

Of course, we won't know for sure until you can mention what system spec was "et cetera, et cetera".

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:58 PM Edited by Cran., 17 July 2007 - 02:02 PM.

Umm, sorry for being a bit vague. I tend to do that sometimes. I'm using XP Home SP2 (32bit).

1 and 2. Shall try 3 now, even though every driver i've used is 32bit XP. Well, with 1, pretty much. Before the new drivers are installed, the Nvidia installation wizard removes the drivers, then the computer reboots using the windows video drivers, restarts, and then the drivers are there. Unless i'm mistaken, I believe that is the drivers being uninstalled.

God, I feel like a bit of a dick at the moment! blush.gif

I'll tell you this though, i've had non-WHQL nvidia drivers which refuse to boot certain games, but the game works fine on older/newer drivers.

EDIT: 3 doesn't work. Tried in Windows 98/ Me and Windows 2000 mode.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

Try to update your monitor drivers, set the resolution in Windows to what your monitor can support, and set the resolution of San Andreas to the same that was set up in Windows. Always use by the way: 32-bit color quality.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Jul 21 2007, 07:03)
Try to update your monitor drivers, set the resolution in Windows to what your monitor can support, and set the resolution of San Andreas to the same that was set up in Windows. Always use by the way: 32-bit color quality.

Hmmm. At the moment, I have two monitors; my 17" laptop display and my 17" LG 1780Q, right? The laptop display doesn't have a driver, and I've tried it on that monitor. No luck. I've used the same resolution that I use for San Andreas and for my monitor.

BUT, I don't have the drivers installed for my LG 1780Q, so i'll give that a try.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:10 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 25 July 2007 - 02:19 PM.

Please stick to 1 monitor...

Plug out the secondary disaplay, and try get things working first on the primary monitor. Make sure refresh rate is 60hz/70Hz (whatever your monitor supports).

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

It always runs on the primary monitor. All 3D applications do. But it doesn't seem to make a difference whether the other monitor is enabled or not. Refresh rate is at 60Hz, which is what i've always used, and it's what the monitor supports.

Tried plugging out the secondary display and running it on my laptop screen. No difference.

If it helps, here's the Unhandled Exception error that i'm getting;

Unhandled Exception: c0000005
At Address: 030d1e00

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:42 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 03 August 2007 - 10:13 PM.

You have a weird and not-so-serious problem at the same time. At least you can play the game and not worry. Anyway...

Steps for you to do!

1. Uninstall Vice City in Add or Remove Programs.
2. Delete C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Vice City
3. Reinstall and make sure to select everything the installation has to offer.
4. Delete [.set] file in "My Documents" -> "GTA Vice City User Files".
5. Launch Vice City and change resolution to your preference.

(Keep restarting computer and constantly change the resolution until it does work. Remember also that you change the res by using the left mouse button.)

If this doesn't work. I'll do some tweaking around in ForceWare, dxdiag, and display properties. Another thing to do is to download and install the 3rd-Party Omega drivers instead.

When I change the resolution from the default (640x480x16) to any resolution, the screen stays the same and I hear a beep.

Remember that there are 2 variants of a resolution, one in 16/32bit. Make sure it reads 1280 x 1024 x 32bit

QUOTE (Cran)
Just installed Vice on my computer, and whenever I try to change my resolution, it crashes.

How far have you reached in this game? Have you ever experienced in-game crashes before? Did you mod it up? If not, having any graphical problems? 'cause you might want to try the v1.1 patch lol.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:05 AM

I'll have to try and reinstall it. Maybe 3rd time luck, eh?

I'm aware of the 16bit and 32bit modes, and i'm setting it on 1280x1024x32. It doesn't make a difference if I try to set a 16 bit or a 32 bit mode.

The game starts up and runs fine, as so far as I can tell, there are no crashes ingame. No graphical problems either. The v1.1 patch is out of the question as they only made a v1.1 patch for the US, non censored version. My version (The Australia one) is edited to get rid of hookers due to our screwy censorship board! Yaaay! tounge2.gif

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

So you're saying that all this time you are playing at a resolution of 640x480?

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

The game WILL run at that, 640x480x16. But as you'd imagine, i'd like to play it at a higher resolution! It's just that I can't change the resolution any higher!

We are on the same page here, right?

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:57 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 04 August 2007 - 02:11 PM.

Are you able to change the resolution higher in any of your other games? COuld be because of your graphics hardware/drivers.

I think your CD probably got messed up during the installation process. Check the disc for any corrupted data by using CD-Check as you might have a faulty copy: http://www.kvipu.com...ck/download.php

My version (The Australia one) is edited to get rid of hookers due to our screwy censorship board! Yaaay!

Could be that. Maybe those versions can't get the res any higher? I am not sure I told you this before but make sure that compatibility mode is turned off. Please uncheck "Run in 256 colors", and "Run in 640x480". Set compatibility to Windows XP (uncheck "compatibility mode"). And make sure you don't have any mods/trainers that are comflicting with Vice City's Display settings.

It could be that the Australian versions doesn't have a [.set] file. Maybe your disc had one, but it was faulty. That's why you always have to stick with a res of 640x480 since the file always refreshes itself. biggrin.gif

I bet you can't edit some of the other settings in Display menu. If you did, it would return back to the defaults or give a crash!

My advice would be to buy a new copy of Vice City US Version. The GTA: Triple Pack (Vice City/San Andrea/III) cost under $40. Imagine for only a single?

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:59 PM Edited by Cran., 04 August 2007 - 03:07 PM.

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Aug 5 2007, 00:27)
Are you able to change the resolution higher in any of your other games? COuld be because of your graphics hardware/drivers.

Yes, I am. Every other game works perfectly fine.

I think your CD probably got messed up during the installation process. Check the disc for any corrupted data by using CD-Check as you might have a faulty copy: http://www.kvipu.com...ck/download.php

I'll give it a try, but it's unlikely as i've used this copy since Vice City first came out on PC, though.

My version (The Australia one) is edited to get rid of hookers due to our screwy censorship board! Yaaay!

Could be that. Maybe those versions can't get the res any higher? I am not sure I told you this before but make sure that compatibility mode is turned off. Please uncheck "Run in 256 colors", and "Run in 640x480". Set compatibility to Windows XP (uncheck "compatibility mode"). And make sure you don't have any mods/trainers that are comflicting with Vice City's Display settings.

Australian versions not being able to turn up the resolution higher? No way! Otherwise we'd have all these Aussie guys complaining! tounge.gif You can turn up the resolution, on every other computer I've ran it on, it's been this way. Everything apart from the compatibility mode was unchecked (It was running in Windows 98/Windows Me mode). I unchecked it and no difference! The game is completely stock, no mods or trainers.

It could be that the Australian versions doesn't have a [.set] file. Maybe your disc had one, but it was faulty.  That's why you always have to stick with a res of 640x480 since the file always refreshes itself. biggrin.gif

I bet you can't edit some of the other settings in Display menu. If you did, it would return back to the defaults or give a crash!

I can confirm that this version does infact have one. If I start a new game (and not change any settings) a .set file is created during the loading process like any other copy of Vice City. I doubt it would copy one off the disc, because the .set file is unique to every computer, correct? And before you ask, i've tried running the game and then restarting the game, and then attempting to change the resolution. No luck.

All the other settings work perfectly fine. I'm sure of this, as I could turn the frame limiter on and off.

My advice would be to buy a new copy of Vice City US Version. The GTA: Triple Pack (Vice City/San Andrea/III) cost under $40. Imagine for only a single?

Last option, I guess. I doubt this has anything to do with what region copy I'm using.

I vill report back later! *salute*

EDIT: No errors or warnings found!

Ze mystery continues..

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:46 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 04 August 2007 - 05:01 PM.

You really think there is a solution to this problem when I have already taken away all the good advices? As for your [.set] file request, I don't think that might work since because people will have different hardware and the game will just crash if it recognizes that the resolution is set at 1280x1024.

I can't believe you're even restricted from setting the res to 800x600 16/32 bit?

Advice
I really think sometimes wrong with the [.set] file. Try right-clicking it and unchecking "read-only". If there is "Unblock", click on it. Apply & OK. After doing that - launch the game and hit on the "Restore Defaults" button several times, and then try changing the resolution.

As a last resort, you might need a new copy or contact Rockstar Support or ask Fuzzy Juzzy to help you...

For Support in Australia
Phone: 1902 262 606 - $2.48 + GST per minute (higher from mobile and public phones)
URL: http://www.take2game...support_contact

BTW, I went to http://www.take2games.com.au, and they had v1.1 patches for it! Australians speak English and there is an English patch available for download!

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:34 AM

Yeah, I realise that that .set request won't work now! tounge.gif Even restricted from setting it to 800x6016/32bit. Changing it to anything, even 640x480x32 will result in a crash!

The .set file was not set on read only, and trying to set the default settings a couple of times made no difference.

So there IS a Australian v1.1 patch?! I better try that out pronto!

EDIT: Won't let my update as usual, due to this version of Vice City. Just gives me an error saying that it cannot update the installed version.

Assasin_dk
  • Assasin_dk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:14 AM Edited by Assasin_dk, 12 August 2007 - 09:16 AM.

I have the same problem when i'm run Vice city on my ATI Radion 9700.

but i could bypass the problem by using 3D-Analyze (you can find it under the Downloads on this page)

what i did was to force Vice city to run in windowed mode (that is what you need 3D-Analyze for)
after that i could change the resolution with on problem.

When you have set the resolution like you want you can run the game fine whitout 3D-Analyze.

but you will still have to use 3D-Analyze each time you have to change the resolution.

i hope that will help you. colgate.gif

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Assasin_dk @ Aug 12 2007, 19:14)
I have the same problem when i'm run Vice city on my ATI Radion 9700.

but i could bypass the problem by using 3D-Analyze (you can find it under the Downloads on this page)

what i did was to force Vice city to run in windowed mode (that is why you need 3D-Analyze
after that i could change the resolution with on problem.

When you have set the resolution like you want you can run the game fine whitout 3D-Analyze.

but you will still have to use 3D-Analyze each time you have to change the resolution.

i hope that will hwlp you. colgate.gif

Cheers for that, I'll add that to the pinned bug list over in the troubleshooting forum. smile.gif

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:11 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 12 August 2007 - 07:20 PM.

I don't see how resorting to an application to change the resolution automatically is a proper solution to fix PC-gaming problems like this. I have Radeon graphics card and I never needed to use any 3rd-Party software in San Andreas and Vice City (and I am sure a lot of people didn't). I say a nVidia 7800 GTX graphics card is supposed to be a shame that it has to use something like 3Dfx's 3D-Analyze when it has already lovely Direct X9.0c support built-in, and lovely nVidia ForceWare drivers.

Well, I guess this "3D Analyze" program would work only for computer dummies who don't know what they are doing. icon13.gif

(you can find it under the Downloads on this page)

No, get it off officially at the 3Dfx website for the latest version - a company which had been bought out by nVidia years ago, and a website people didn't know that existed and still helping out gamers. sarcasm.gif

Download: http://www.3dfxzone....alyze/download/
User Guide: http://www.3dfxzone....yze_user_guide/

http://www.3dfxfiles.com/ (This website might be useful.)

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Ring_of_Fire @ Aug 13 2007, 00:11)
I don't see how resorting to an application to change the resolution automatically is a proper solution to fix PC-gaming problems like this. I have Radeon graphics card and I never needed to use any 3rd-Party software in San Andreas and Vice City (and I am sure a lot of people didn't). I say a nVidia 7800 GTX graphics card is supposed to be a shame that it has to use something like 3Dfx's 3D-Analyze when it has already lovely Direct X9.0c support built-in, and lovely nVidia ForceWare drivers.

Well, I guess this "3D Analyze" program would work only for computer dummies who don't know what they are doing. icon13.gif

Excuse me? You're one black kettle, accusing someone else of suggesting bogus troubleshooting advice.

From my point of view, we've got someone come in here and provide advice with a declaration that it's worked for them. That's good enough for me, so I've added it to the bug list, along with a link to this source. Good, direct troubleshooting - not beating around the bush as has become the custom in any thread you care to provide "help" in.

If you'd like to respond, I'll gladly hear it through PM as we wouldn't want to take this thread any further off topic than it is already. Thanks.

calvin21
  • calvin21

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

hey dude i had exactly the same problem with this game. Whenever i change the display resolution, the game hangs up and I had to press enter just to realize the game had crashed. Kinda annoying.
I was able to "accidentally" solve the problem in a very simple way, but I don't have the explanation why, maybe I'm leaving these techie guys here to explain the reason (coz I'm not techie). The important thing here is you'll be able to use higher display resolution. =)

1. First, delete the .set file from the My Documents' GTA Vice city Folder.
2. Then, here's the trick. If you got any other game there that requires 3D acceleration (in my case, I used the online game Ragnarok Online), run it and then press alt-tab so it will minimize in the taskbar. Now you're back in the desktop. (Never close that game just minimize, i think your pc can handle 2 games running at once).
3. Run GTA Vice City. (at this point, never ever press alt-tab again or the game will crash) Go to Options menu, display setup, click on restore default once, then highlight the display resolution option. I think first try hovering it to 1024x768x16 as temporary setting then left click on it and "PRESTO"!

Once you've set it, exit and close Vice city.
Then Close the other previously opened game.
Then you can now start Vice city with the resolution you've chosen. In case you want to change the resolution, repeat step 1 to 3 except that use the resolution you desire.(I haven't raised it to 1280x720x32 yet).

hey let me know if this method helped, hope it works on yours too. I registered in this forum just to inform you how I was able resolve it.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

Assasin_dk's solution worked first time! Thanks!

Thanks to all of you guys that helped, though! catloaf_by_anuj.gif

deltanine
  • deltanine

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

Excellent, thanks for the tip! biggrin.gif

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

You do realize this thread is 18 months old and if you click "Assasins" profile, you will see that is the last time he was here (1 post)-- so while he probably would appreciate the thanks, he probably won't see it.

In the future, please don't bump old threads unless you have something pertinent to add to the subject/problem-- an alternate solution or new info or something along that line.... or even a related problem/issue is fine.

If you did find that answer/solution by using the search feature, then thank you for utilizing it....

Thanks...

Spuds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users