Boxing Discussion

464 replies to this topic
Josh
  • Josh

I'm sitting in the middle waiting

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:57 AM

Think Maidana has shot his bolt now. Mayweather by UD or a KO in the last 2 rounds I reckon.

Xyn
  • Xyn

Dⱥrk Pp Tys

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

Damn, Mayweather just refuses to go down....

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Floyd rope a doped him I hope they have a rematch

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members
  • British-Antarctic-Territory
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Great night (or should I say morning) of boxing. Amir Khan put in a very impressive performance against Collazo, Broner won and Mayweather - Maidana was a close fight. Didn't think it would be that competitive if I'm honest but Maidana did more than what Canelo did in the first 30 seconds of the fight.

I had it 116--112 Mayweather.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

Same 116 -112 floyd took practically every round after 6 boxed clever, whata genius and whata fight. Madaina deserves much respect.

Josh
  • Josh

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

For what it's worth I had it at 116-112 too. Even through 6 rounds then after that Maidana only managed to take the 11th in my view. In every other round he was pretty much outboxed as he flagged.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

So who's going to win, Froch or Groves?

I'm going with George Groves. I backed him in the first fight to beat Froch and a lot of people laughed at me but he's everything wrong for Froch. Groves has speed, timing, power and great footwork. I'm confident he'll get the job done on Saturday.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Carl Froch.

I think he is telling the truth when he said he took Groves lightly the first time so I dont expect to see the same happen again this time around. Yes Groves maybe quicker and have better timing but Froch has proven time and time again that if things do get tough he can still pull out the win and expect him to do so again on Saturday.

UD for Froch.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

So do you think Mayweather vs Pacman is still possible? I mean although Pac signed a new contract, Bob Arum keeps insisting it could happen, the fat c*nt doesn't do sh*t though. He and May aren't on good terms.

What about May vs Khan? I think he will need to fight him just to shut people up. Considering Maidana gave him a good fight, only because Floyd went on the attack for a few rounds to show people he has guts to step away from his defensive form, he did get damaged quite a bit, although he easily dealt with Maidana later on. Khan was the one who knocked out Maidana in the past, and looking at his impressive win over Collazo, maybe Mayweather got his attention. He has definitely improved.

Maybe then the ultimate showdown can happen. Money vs Pacman. Maybe it's still just a dream though.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

It will never happen because Mayweather is protecting his legacy. I doubt Khan will ever get a shot (i suspect he would lose though) too because of that. Mayweather is a hack and will only fight gutter trash.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

Gutter trash? He fought Miguel Cotto, Ortiz, Oscar De La Hoya, Judah, Canelo, Marquez, Guererro, Castillo, Gatti, Hatton, Mosely. What the heck are you on about? He is the best fighter of this generation, period. Haters say otherwise.

It's a shame Pac didn't agree to the test back in 2009, otherwise it would have been over and done with. I'm pretty sure this is the only reason people hate him.

• OH NO likes this

Josh
  • Josh

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

It will never happen because Mayweather is protecting his legacy. I doubt Khan will ever get a shot (i suspect he would lose though) too because of that. Mayweather is a hack and will only fight gutter trash.

You always seem to come into this topic to put down Mayweather as soon as someone mentions him, and I'm not really sure that any of what you're saying is strictly true.

I think you've definitely got a point about Groves having something that Froch struggles with. I think though that it's more to do with the way he punches rather than any combination of attributes that make him a difficult opponent. His punches tended to push Froch back in the earlier rounds because they were coming up underneath Froch's defences. But the problem was that he couldn't seal the deal early on. I think that a similar story could be on the cards here with Groves getting the early advantage but Froch battling back to either win late by ko or on points.

For what it's worth I hope Froch wins, but either way it should be a special atmosphere.

• Wrong Kind likes this

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Carl Froch.

I think he is telling the truth when he said he took Groves lightly the first time so I dont expect to see the same happen again this time around. Yes Groves maybe quicker and have better timing but Froch has proven time and time again that if things do get tough he can still pull out the win and expect him to do so again on Saturday.

UD for Froch.

I'm wondering how much the last fight took out of Froch. He's 36 and been in many wars throughout his career and Groves battered last time out. Groves' speed and timing will be too much for Froch, like I said he's all wrong for him.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Carl Froch.

UD for Froch.

I'm wondering how much the last fight took out of Froch. He's 36 and been in many wars throughout his career and Groves battered last time out. Groves' speed and timing will be too much for Froch, like I said he's all wrong for him.

He may be 36 but he's always been in great shape so I dont think his age is that much of a factor. Like I said I think Froch will win but I hope that Groves does, although I just want a fun and exciting fight.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:38 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 31 May 2014 - 02:39 PM.

But Froch has a chin, he's taken some serious shots to his face. The only guy he couldn't handle has to be Ward, who was just TOO much, although he never got put down by him I think. Froch's issues are his footwork and skills, but his stamina is really good, he could tire out Groves easily. But Groves has an advantage over power punches, and has more skills than Froch in terms of punching, but his stamina is nowhere near Froch's, and Froch outdoes him from Round 2 and onwards.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Carl Froch.

UD for Froch.

He may be 36 but he's always been in great shape so I dont think his age is that much of a factor. Like I said I think Froch will win but I hope that Groves does, although I just want a fun and exciting fight.
Froch is no B-Hop, he takes a lot of shots. He has a sh*t defense but he's got away with it because he has a good chin.

Age has caught up with him, he hasn't had a good performance in years. He wasn't even that good against Kessler or Bute. Against Kessler he just jabbed him all night and he won't be able to land on Groves as much as he did against Kessler. The Bute fight was a great win for Froch but it wasn't amazing performance wise he just hit Bute and he bottled it.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:31 PM Edited by Hodgey., 31 May 2014 - 09:40 PM.

6 rounds in. Pretty much going the way I said and thought.

EDIT: 4 - 2 Froch

4 - 3 Froch

Well that ended quickly, just as it seemed Groves was coming back.. one punch and it's over. Froch may be 36 but like I said he finds a way to win.

Josh
  • Josh

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Blimey. Just as Groves was getting back into it Froch has knocked his eyes out.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

What a killing blow by Froch!

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• Members
  • Lesotho

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Sheeeiiiit. What a smack that was. Nice one Froch

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:47 PM Edited by Tommy., 31 May 2014 - 09:50 PM.

Groves was starting to take control of the fight and Froch catches him with a f*cking good shot. Credit to Froch for that but I still think it's time for him to retire. 

Also, how the hell did Groves get up? His legs were completely gone. 

Josh
  • Josh

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:02 PM Edited by Josh, 31 May 2014 - 10:08 PM.

I don't think he's going to retire yet, his mandatory opponent is DeGale but I wouldn't be surprised if he just went all-out at Ward in Las Vegas and vacated his titles. It would certainly be as good a way to bow out as any that I can think of, win or loss.

EDIT: Ha, quoted completely the wrong part of your post.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Shyyte. That was a monster shot. I'm surprised Groves wasn't put to sleep. This is like a repeat of Pacquiao getting KO'd by Marquez.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

I don't think he's going to retire yet, his mandatory opponent is DeGale but I wouldn't be surprised if he just went all-out at Ward in Las Vegas and vacated his titles. It would certainly be as good a way to bow out as any that I can think of, win or loss.

EDIT: Ha, quoted completely the wrong part of your post.

Degale would give Froch a good fight. Ward vs Froch II won't happen because we saw what happened last time. Ward out classed him in a very one sided fight.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Maywhether is still a bitch who avoids any serious challenger that could threaten his undefeated record because he cares more about money and PPV sales than pride or the sport of boxing itself. he's a joke and his fights are boring

he should have fought Manny Pacquia 2 years ago when everyone actually wanted to see it.

Talkin nonsense mate, fights are boring? How can you watch mayweather and not be in awe at his reflexes, movement etc..he's barely gets hit. And as for avoiding good fighters, cmon now. Shame pacman never happened but as was said that's politics surrounding the sport and you can't lay that at the feet of mayweather.

Plus he would have sonned pacman anyway :)
  • Wrong Kind and FranklinDeRoosevelt like this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

It's not May's fault at all, it's all on the fat f*cking turd Bob Arum.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

Talkin nonsense mate, fights are boring

not sure why you chose to reply to a post from 6 months ago, but I stand by what I said.

boxing today is boring. to me.

compared to boxing 20+ years ago. it's not entertaining. to me.

if it is to you, that's great.

but I think it's because you weren't able to appreciate the sport of boxing during its prime. nowadays the sport is more about Pay-Per-View sales and promotion than competition.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:23 PM Edited by Wrong Kind, 14 December 2014 - 12:24 PM.

Amir Khan put in a great performance this morning against a tough and former world champion Devon Alexander. Straight from the first bell Khan controlled the pace of the fight with some lighting speed combinations and I have no doubt in my mind Khan is the quickest in the world. Really impressed with his foot work too, didn't let Alexander get going and Khan stayed disciplined right through the bout which Khan has had problems doing under Freddie Roach and his other previous coaches. We've always known Khan as a boxer with a lot of heart and likes to stand in the middle of the ring with his opponent which has been his downfall on many occasions but under Virgil Hunter he looks way better defensively and looks more disciplined but still has that attacking element in his game which still makes him one of the most exciting boxers in the sport.

Does he deserve the massive pay day against pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather? I'm not sure if he out right deserves the fight but styles make fights and Amir's style is all wrong for the current Floyd Mayweather. When was the last time Floyd fought an opponent with Khan's speed? Has he ever fought an opponent with Khan's speed? Khan has always had major problems with fighters with one punch knockout power which Mayweather doesn't have. I think it would be a very fighting match up and I hope/think it will happen in May.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• Members

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:47 PM

Double post but this topic needs life...

Getting sick of hearing about this Cinco de Mayo date argument. Basically Canelo is fighting Cotto next which Oscar De La Hoya and Bob Arum want on Cinco De Mayo weekend but as we all know Mayweather has had that date for a few years now. Mayweather says he's not budging off it and Canelo seems determined to fight on that date. If Mayweather v Pacquiao does happen next then why the hell would Mayweather need Cinco De Mayo? Honestly if Mayweather v Pacquiao doesn't happen next because of this date argument then that is just another bullsh*t excuse for this fight not happening. Mayweather v Pacquiao sells no matter what date it's on. I can see it going like this now, Arum says Canelo v Cotto is happening on Cinco De Mayo because of Mayweather not moving off this date Mayweather v Pacquiao doesn't happen. Such a shame most people in boxing act like babies when it comes to negotiations. If Mayweather doesn't fight Pacquiao then he most likely fights Khan on that date then he's going to be going up against Canelo v Cotto. Canelo and Cotto will drain all interest from Mayweather v Khan.

I would love to see both of them fights but I don't see Mayweather v Pacquiao ever happening at this rate. Such a shame too.

Twilight Sky
  • Twilight Sky

Driftin' at the apex, sliding into 1rst.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Yeah Boxing has gone the way of the Dodo since all the famous boxers are retired.

One sliver of life it has left and has been dragging on for so long now. I'm talking about Floyd and Manny. Instead of going through all that bullsh*t, just go fight the man. A loss to an equally great fighter is better than being undefeated, imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users