Photo

Xbox 360 controller for SA.

18 replies to this topic
Asher.
  • Asher.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

i while ago there was a thread with a link to download something so my 360 controller worked on my pc,

my pc has since been wiped and a can't find the thread!

can somebody help me please?

smile.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

Well if you posted this, I'm guessing your keyboard and mouse still work. So you're already better off smile.gif

Asher.
  • Asher.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

i prefer controllers, too many keys on this thing. tounge2.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

Yes, that's half of why they're better. See if you can guess the other biggrin.gif

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

Just one of those days...

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:02 AM

Heh...geez Dem, must you always be so anti-controller? Analogue sticks work so much better for everything bar aiming...and auto-aim improves my accuracy 100-fold.

As for the topic at hand, maybe try this: http://mattbrett.com...ler-for-windows

Asher.
  • Asher.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Thanks. inlove.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (jnzooger @ Jul 1 2007, 20:02)
Heh...geez Dem, must you always be so anti-controller?
I'm not. I'm anti-ignorance. 99 times out of 100, people looking to plug in a controller have never even tried it the right way. There are console players that wish they could play it on PC and then there's those who can, but choose to throw away the benefits. Just trying to expand their mind, armed with the truth wink.gif

QUOTE (jnzooger @ Jul 1 2007, 20:02)
Analogue sticks work so much better for everything bar aiming...and auto-aim improves my accuracy 100-fold.
Yes, and a 100% savegame improves that which is unlocked 100%. But that takes all the challenge out and therefore, the fun. But don't take my word for it. Visit any time trial community. They'll tell you that while auto-aim is cheap, the mouse's ability to bounce between targets NOW gives PC the upper hand by a substantial amount.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

• Members

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

If I am ever doing a time-trial, or something without auto-aim ability (ex: riding the back of a bike), I swich controls back to mouse. but for every day simplicity of control, nothing beats the PS2 layout for me.

(I finally tried the XBOX version of Vice today. I must say, the default controls on there SUCK! When I swiched it to Classic, it was a little better, but the d-pad to aim for drive-by?! I hope GTA:IV has 2 control options at least, PS2 style and XBOX style. I don't need an analogue gas or break for GTA. This isn't NFS.)

methegreat
  • methegreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

analoge Controlers are far superiour to keyboards, as in terms of driveing kind of games....
while keyboard n mouse are much better with FPS games.. such as cs, cs:s, bf2 ect.
and since gta:sa is a console conversion .. controlers have an advantage .. since about 70% is running or driveing

my spelling and grama is rubbish ^^ lol turn.gif icon14.gif icon13.gif

Inky
  • Inky

Pineapple.

• The Connection

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (methegreat @ Jul 11 2007, 06:41)
analoge Controlers are far superiour to keyboards, as in terms of driveing kind of games....
while keyboard n mouse are much better with FPS games.. such as cs, cs:s, bf2 ect.
and since gta:sa is a console conversion .. controlers have an advantage .. since about 70% is running or driveing

my spelling and grama is rubbish ^^ lol turn.gif icon14.gif icon13.gif

Well next time, maybe try Google? Just a thought..

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

• Members

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (methegreat @ Jul 11 2007, 12:41)
Analogue Controllers are far superior to keyboards, in terms of driving games, while keyboard and mouse are much better with FPS games, such as Counter Strike, Counter Strike: Source, Battlefield 2, etc.
Since about 70% of San Andreas is running or driving, controllers have an advantage.

(Insert random emoticons here.)

(Corrected spelling)

I agree with you if you read above. The part where I am talking about using the mouse is "on-rails shooter" style gameplay. There are very few moments of FPS-style gameplay in the GTAs.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (methegreat @ Jul 11 2007, 07:41)

The GTA's use the mouse to steer. That IS analog. Only a mouse user doesn't have to move his thumb away from FOUR buttons to do so. We have analog steering without abandoning a single button.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

• Members

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

Gah, mouse stearing is a pain in the...lower back region...yeah, that whole area...

I personally don't see how anyone can use it. But that's just one man's opinion.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

The same way you use that same mouse to launch SA in the first place sly.gif Have you ever even tried?

I used to play this game called Rally Cross for PSX. It was great because for as long as you didn't complete the race, you could crash into each other, etc. Eventually, I got an analog controller (this was right about the time they had ceased production to pave the way for forced feedback controllers). Anyways, I was all over the place, cursing, "I thought this was supposed to be BETTER!?" After I gave it a chance, I was acclimated and steering more accurately than ever.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

• Members

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Jul 12 2007, 16:17)
The same way you use that same mouse to launch SA in the first place sly.gif Have you ever even tried?

I used to play this game called Rally Cross for PSX. It was great because for as long as you didn't complete the race, you could crash into each other, etc. Eventually, I got an analog controller (this was right about the time they had ceased production to pave the way for forced feedback controllers). Anyways, I was all over the place, cursing, "I thought this was supposed to be BETTER!?" After I gave it a chance, I was acclimated and steering more accurately than ever.

Yeah I have. Before I was able to correctly set up my controller (meaning Button 10 is Esc, d-pad mapable, and so-forth), I played for about 30 hours in mouse steering mode. I kept finding my hand try to move to the arrow keys, but I forced myself to stay on the mouse. I couldn't stand it anymore so I went back to key steering. Not much better in San Andreas. (I was able to 100% both III and VC with only keyboard and mouse.) I must say, for me, SA was best played 90% with gamepad (PS2 layout) and 10% keyboard and mouse (mouse steer enabled but only to prevent the mouse controlled camera from going wonky if it is accedently hit).

Oh, by the way, I don't launch with the mouse. sneaky2.gif I have a menu that launches at boot that is gamepad controlled.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:28 AM

Switching how you control the game sounds like it would be too much work to enjoy the game. Just my opinion. It's cool that you have a setup you enjoy.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:51 AM

I do see what you're getting at. One mission in particular comes to mind. (Just Business) For the first part I use the gamepad, but when I get on the bike I have to pause the game and switch controls to mouse. Then, after the mission, I generally forget to switch back until I notice my right analogue stick isn't working. blush.gif But, yes, this does work for me, and I don't wear out my keyboard as fast. biggrin.gif

Honestly, I'm not trying to start a control war. I actually commend you for being able to use such frustrating controls. It's just when someone talks about want help with controllers on PC, you come in with a very pro keyboard stance that makes you sound anti controller. I'm guessing that most PC players have played keyboard and mouse while waiting to get their controllers working.

A lot of GTAers (new word?) switched to PC from PS2 and, for one reason or another, can't adapt to the new controls. Same goes for PS2 to XBOX switchers. Heck, even XBOX III to XBOX SA switchers. I happen to have experianced the reverse. I was a keyboard GTAer for III and VC. With SA, I got it on PS2 first and had trouble with the controller. When I got back on the PC, keyboard didn't work for me in SA. This is when I started to look for an alternative. Now I am used to this layout and it just works. Consiquently, I can swich back and forth between PC and PS2 now with very little adjustment.

(Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I'm half asleep right now.)

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

Actually, now that I think of it, I can't really talk on that point. I was so used to HAVING to use Numpad to steer bikes and boats in VC that I was never really able to adapt to mouse steering for bikes. In SA, I'll also switch to keyboard steering for the go cart and that thing you drive in the Catalina Liquor Store mission.

IveSearched
  • IveSearched

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

I must say i didnt have the nerves to set up SA for keyboard and mouse. And that was a first. lol I didnt see me figuring out finger acrobatics.
So i bought the X360 controller. But even then i use a program called SAAC 1.2 to set up my controlls. Because without it was finger acrobatics as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users