The Chain Game Rallies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
250 replies to this topic
rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:15 AM

I've had a look at your recent files for 'Katie Jumps' and 'Badlands Endurance' - they both look fine to me. Unexpected new outfit in Badlands Endurance - but fitting, all black, fancy-clothes-for-fancy-car and all, hehe... Yup, let's go with this outfit then - but I'd really like to use the other one for *some* other race then, kind of grown to like it.

Anyway - it looks as if we're having these two saves finished, right?

As for Skipping Palomino, that one looks very much ok too, but we haven't made a final decision on the starting time yet.

I've also tried out the 1st two Desert saves you posted (not yet the third), they seem to work too. How about the Fort Carson save house, can you 'unlock' save houses with the tools or is that one regularly accessible?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:33 AM Edited by OrionSR, 01 August 2007 - 06:45 AM.

Toreno's Ranch is just switching the safehouse with the save editor. The advantage to this location is that it loads outdoors, and this seems to help the local vehicle to spawn reliably. There are only a few outdoor saves, but the first one doesn't become available until after the Green Sabre, otherwise I could change the load location manually and keep the armor intact. I need to dig into the saves a little more. Maybe I can repair the armor manually for these types of saves, and not be limited to 100 to avoid crashing the control center.

Fort Carson is a 100% save with access to SF and LV re-restricted, and the barriers back in place. The advantage to this setup for 4 star challenges is that the garages are available. Unfortunately, the wanted level can still go beyond 4 stars. I tried a number of other tweaks to try to buy the houses early, but haven't been able to figure it out. If I change to an indoor save house with the save editor then the garage is locked and re-entry is impossible. The other thing I was considering on a 100% save was that the vehicles appear to take less damage. I remember that as a bonus for Vice City, does it work in San Andreas as well? It sure seems to.

Desert Tour opens with an experiment with changing to non-existent load locations. Most of them load with CJ falling over or under the planet, but a few might be useful. BTW, if you find yourself stranded when loading the Desert Tour, try reloading the save. If you fire it up fresh upon starting San Andreas you might think I was playing a nasty trick on you. Desert Tour opens up some interesting possibilities for future events. Also, if we plan it right, then this might be a good method for getting the rally races included as a built in part of the chain game. If you want to mess with this save without the alternate load location then change the start point again with the save editor. I would suggest the ranch house location over Fort Carson.

Katie Jumps and Badlands Endurance - I haven't spent much time playing on these saves. I hope they are finished but I need to spend a little time with the rally to see if anything strange turns up. Skipping Palomino is pretty much in the same boat. Rather than fiddling with the save perhaps it's time to settle on the rules and goals of each rally before we tweak anything any more.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [The Chain Game]

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hi guys,
I looked at the Desert Tour save. I was surprised that the start was in the middle of the channel! Maybe I haven't paid good enough attention, how'd you do that?
I also found the 'surprise' on the hill north of Toreno's - cool! Did you add it by doing some text editing of an IPL file? That's how pdescobar did it for the 'special' V2 chain game starting save.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:52 AM Edited by OrionSR, 01 August 2007 - 11:59 AM.

QUOTE (JAJ @ Aug 1 2007, 03:26)
I looked at the Desert Tour save. I was surprised that the start was in the middle of the channel! Maybe I haven't paid good enough attention, how'd you do that?

You should have had transportation supplied when you loaded. If not, load it again.

I've been messing around with the available tools to see if I could set up interesting rally saves. I noticed that the local vehicle spawns tend to be more reliable at the outdoor save spots, so I was concentrating on those locations. I compared the difference of a save that was tweaked to load at Angle Pine with another at Toreno's ranch, and there were only a few differences in the bytes, so I fiddled with them until I found the significant part. I documented the different outdoor save numbers, and kept messing with the byte until something interesting happened. Most of the "locations" that don't crash the game fall from some distance in the sky, or under the planet to warp to a safe area. A few end up in interesting locations without a fall or a warp.

I also found the 'surprise' on the hill north of Toreno's - cool! Did you add it by doing some text editing of an IPL file? That's how pdescobar did it for the 'special' V2 chain game starting save.

I've been meaning to ask you about that, I'm glad you brought it up. I reviewed some of the chain game threads during the time that pdescobar was introducing the new save. I couldn't find much reference; did anyone ask how he did it? I did find some notes that changing what was in the current save would involve modifying... scm? or manually editing the save file. Since I had recently worked out a method of tracking the changes for the checksum on the filename, I gave the manual method a shot.

I didn't add anything, I just moved some stuff around. I started by searching for the vehicle codes (transposed to hex with the byte order reversed) and changing it to something else, and then loading the save and visiting the vehicle location to see if it changed. Toreno's ranch was perfect for testing. Once I had identified a vehicle I started tweaking the bytes on either side until I could move the vehicle around without losing it. I lost the Sandking inside of the ranch house for a while. Then I put it on top of the house, and finally over on the hill. I've got a load spot that's a short drop onto the top of the hill, and had planned on parachuting to a vehicle parked under the tree. The cops seems to get stuck inside the hill and don't cause any problem in that location; there's a bunch of heat at the normal load spot, it's right off of a road. It can be difficult just to get the vehicle out of the garage. Unfortunately, the random spawns aren't as reliable when arriving by air, so that plan isn't working out so well. So I put the Sandking back where it was and searched for the wrecked Saddler west of the airstrip, changed it, and moved it to the top of the hill since I had already worked out the coordinates.

The vehicle at Fort Carson used to be the Euros in SF. I'm starting to get pretty good at the addressing scheme. My most recent vehicle move plopped what used to be the quad under the bridge in Ganton right in the middle of the driveway at Palomino Creek. All I had to do was nudge it over a bit. I can move weapons around, change them to something else, and add bonus ammo.

But I can't do armor, and there are no examples to work with. I can make the icon appear, but it doesn't work. Heart icons would be nice as well, but what I'd really like to have are coronas, or some sort of icon that can be collected with a vehicle. Best of all, I would love to place a few of those repair icons from the Bloodbowl event in key locations on the map and have them actually repair the vehicle's health. There is that one bribe in SF, perhaps I can get it to do something else.

But I'm really lost trying to figure this stuff out. Most of the reference is related to IPL editing, and I haven't a clue what they are talking about other than the numbers and tables provided are sometimes useful. But I'm starting to suspect that if I want to do anything other than scoot stuff around and change the type, I'm going to need to get a little closer to the source. Can you offer any more information on how these pickups and spawn points got into the save to start with?

In the meantime, I started scooting and tweaking a copy of the Big Smoke save. I've got two vehicles that are appropriate for the rallies parked at Palomino (see save below). I also plan to move appropriate vehicles at the locations of the more useful load locations I can identify. And I can't help but consider the placement of useful vehicles for 4 star survival. Perhaps a Packer in Montgomery, or a speeder under the NRG jump to LV. I suppose I could always use an Enforcer spawn for extra armor pickups. They'd probably respawn faster anyway.

<Big Smoke BY> (BY as in after AZ and before CX)

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

Wow, I've just had a look at the Desert Tour. Great stuff & big surprise wow.gif

Unfortunately the stunt plane on the hill is locked - I tried 5-10 times, blew it up, made it respawn, but still locked. Noticed the sandking and the NRG and was wondering how you did it all. I would have guessed somehow similar to pdescobar - but I seriously don't have the slightest clue how he did it back then.

On some point I thought loading a game at a custom location with a vehicle spawn right there would be a nice start for most challenges - but I dropped the idea because I thought preparing a save like that would be way too complicated. It looks as if you were on the right way though...

The only reference to the gtasa save files I came acoss so far is this:
http://www.gtaforums...0

...but I don't really get most of it...

What are those IPL files that have been mentioned?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:34 AM Edited by OrionSR, 02 August 2007 - 06:15 AM.

QUOTE (rubregg @ Aug 1 2007, 05:35)
Wow, I've just had a look at the Desert Tour. Great stuff & big surprise  wow.gif

Unfortunately the stunt plane on the hill is locked - I tried 5-10 times, blew it up, made it respawn, but still locked. Noticed the sandking and the NRG and was wondering how you did it all. I would have guessed somehow similar to pdescobar - but I seriously don't have the slightest clue how he did it back then.

On some point I thought loading a game at a custom location with a vehicle spawn right there would be a nice start for most challenges - but I dropped the idea because I thought preparing a save like that would be way too complicated. It looks as if you were on the right way though...

The only reference to the gtasa save files I came acoss so far is this:
http://www.gtaforums...0

...but I don't really get most of it...

What are those IPL files that have been mentioned?

<Big Smoke CX>

Hopefully this will be a surprise as well. Load the save and check the garage. You can skip the BY save and use this one instead to check out my idea for the Palomino Creek Safehouse. These saves are not intended for anything other than demonstrating various techniques and hopefully they'll give you some ideas on how to work with them.

I also noticed that the stunt plane has a nasty habit of being locked. The Dune that was a Euros tends to set off an alarm. I think pdescobar was flexing his muscles and applied most of the settings simply because they were there. For instance, I noticed that you left your car on top of Mt Chilliad. So anyway, when I became frustrated with the locked plane I tweaked a few more bits and changed the color to all black, so that didn't help but at least I figured out what those bytes did. Thanks to your reference I'm pretty sure I can adjust the likelihood that the vehicles will be locked or alarmed. Also, I might be able to flag spawned vehicles as belonging to CJ so he doesn't get a wanted level if he uses it in front of a cop.

So I can move things around and tweak them a little, but it's difficult to make much progress since I'm not sure where I'm headed. The general idea is to place vehicle spawns at the required locations for each of the rallies, and any other modifications that seem appropriate, and pass the file back to JAJ as a starter file for the Chain Game.

My biggest regret is that the 1st mission is done. If I knew how to put new stuff into a new save, then starting over would be preferable. However, I suspect that it's going to be easier to tweak the file I've got. So with that in mind, which are the preferred vehicle and weapon additions to the chain game save? I'd hate to move something that ended up being the perfect location for that item. Or more to the point I guess, which vehicles or weapons can be moved and not missed?

Update: Checksums Made Easy

Load the file with your favorite hex editor. Change the savename to whatever you like. Make whatever tweaks and modifications you'd like, save the file when your are done, load and save the modified file with the <Savegame Editor> by paultjuh and it will recalculate the required checksum.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:50 AM Edited by OrionSR, 02 August 2007 - 09:37 AM.

Tweaking a Vehicle Spawner

This applies to changing vehicle spawners contained in the savegame edited by pdescobar and frequently used in the chain game.

Look up the ID number of the vehicle you want to change, and the ID of the vehicle you want it to be. There may be more appropriate choices, but I've been using this site's reference table. <San Andreas Car Spawner Vehicle ID Guide> Convert the ID number to hex, and reverse the bytes.

* Be careful about tweaking the vehicles on Mt. Chilliad too much. They have license plate tags and I think the game gets confused if the vehicle can't support it. Or maybe it was crashing for some other reason, but it would be better to play with something else if you want to experiment with various vehicles.

Vehicle Dec Hex
Bullet 541 021D - search for 1D 02
Camper 483 01E3
Cheetah 415 019F
Dune 573 023D
Euros 587 024B
Infernus 411 019B
Monster 444 01BC
NRG-500 522 020A
Quad 471 01D7
Sandking 495 01EF
Stunt Plane 513 0201
Turismo 451 01C3

Search for and change each instance (if it looks like a vehicle spawn - see samples below) one at a time, save, load and save the file with the savegame editor to fix the checksum, and load the save in-game to check to see if the vehicle changed. If not, let the editor reload the modified save, then undo the change and search for the next match, save, and check the vehicle again until you find the correct location in the file. After the 1st change the checksum should be correct as long as you remember to put back the previous modification. Record the two bytes that precede the vehicle id - this is the handle used to identify this vehicle spawner and it will help speed up searches.

Record each of the following bytes. This information will be useful for searching for this spawner again. I'm using A and B to denote the reversal of bytes in words and floats. Changing A will change it a lot, changing B changes it a little. I'm still a little fuzzy about the end of the record.

Handle B, Handle A, IDb, IDa, Color ?, Color ?, Xb, Xa, Yb, Ya, Zb, Za, Angle, Alarm, Lock, Flags, $b, $a, timers (dword?), cars to generate

Duplicate this information and make modifications as need to anything changed so the new location is recorded. Now that I've got the checksum problem figured out I can experiment with the spreadsheet and try to get it to calculate locations for me.

Make changes. What I know about these variables:

Handle: I think this should be a unique identifier - best to avoid changing it.
ID: Vehicle ID, changing should switch the vehicle spawned, and usually doesn't mess with anything. Be careful with special vehicles.
Colors: I'm still not sure which color is the 1st or 2nd color. FF is random, 00 is Black, 01 is white, etc.

Xb, Xa: X Axis Coordinates. It's one number, and anything over half become negative. So FF FF is -1, FE FF is -2. This is really messing up my calculations in the spreadsheet. Changing Xa by 1 moves the location (about) 32 units (according to the locations reported by the control center).

So my math is still fairly fuzzy here, but I'm starting to hit my locations by figuring out how much I want something to move by taking readings with the control center, figuring the difference, dividing by 32, changing the Xa byte accordingly, and estimating how much to change the Xb byte to make up the difference in the remainder. Also, I managed to calculate a location based only on the destination, but there's got to be a better way. I'm not sure how to handle the negative bit in Excel.

Yb, Ya: Same as the X coordinates, but increasing moves the location north instead of east.
Zb, Za: See above.
Angle: convert 360 degrees into 256 radian units.
Alarm: Hopefully 00 is off, I'm not sure what the range is.
Lock: Haven't mess with this either, but now I know where it is.
Flags: Not sure other than odd bit should belong to CJ.
Value a and b: For property destruction stat? Best not to fiddle with things for no reason.
Timer: I'm not sure how many bytes this variable uses, or what it does.
Cars to Generate: Not sure on this either.

Update: Bullseye! The following formulas placed my weapon exactly where I wanted it to spawn. Positions are calculated directly from the data provided by the Read from GTASA function of GTASA Control Center's Location tab. Because of the byte reversal, two formulas are needed to get the bytes sequenced properly for easy transposition with the hex editor. A third formula is offered for determining the rotation angle.

1st Byte =RIGHT(RIGHT(DEC2HEX(B2*8,4),4),2)
2nd Byte =LEFT(RIGHT(DEC2HEX(B2*8,4),4),2)
Rotation =DEC2HEX(E2/360*256)

Samples of a Vehicle Spawner:
* Includes the Handle through Angle only

Quartet's Infernus on Chilliad: 15 01 9F 01 FF FF B0 B6 80 CC 1D 0F C1
Wrecked Glendale at Smokes: 12 00 5C 02 62 0E 60 40 08 CB 62 00 BF
Quad under Grove Bridge: 10 00 D7 01 FF FF B8 51 C0 C9 2F 00 1C
Camper at Angle Pine: 14 01 E3 01 FF FF 50 BB 20 BD 81 1 19
* Angel Pine Trailer Park: 14 01 EF 01 FF FF 10 C0 50 B0 01 01 E9
* A place to put something near a save icon

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:41 AM

Hell that's a lot of info - great !! icon14.gif

I'll delve into it after work, just wanted to wave a little warning flag:

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 2 2007, 05:34)
Update: Checksums Made Easy

Load the file with your favorite hex editor. Change the savename to whatever you like. Make whatever tweaks and modifications you'd like, save the file when your are done, load and save the modified file with the <Savegame Editor> by paultjuh and it will recalculate the required checksum.

That's a cool feature and very handy for trying out stuff. But everybody, be careful with this, only use it for testing saves or intermediate stages but never on a 'final' savefile. Just 'loading and saving' with the save game editor will leave CJ damageproof. These saves will make the control center crash. Avoid this by setting the armour to 100 (not higher) in the save game editor.

...now I can't wait to have a look at Big Smoke CX...

oh, and @ JAJ - good to see you 'round here, mate smile.gif

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR Posted on Aug 1 2007 @ 07:52)
I've been meaning to ask you about that, I'm glad you brought it up. I reviewed some of the chain game threads during the time that pdescobar was introducing the new save. I couldn't find much reference; did anyone ask how he did it? I did find some notes that changing what was in the current save would involve modifying... scm? or manually editing the save file. Since I had recently worked out a method of tracking the changes for the checksum on the filename, I gave the manual method a shot.

QUOTE (OrionSR Posted on Aug 1 2007 @ 07:52)
Can you offer any more information on how these pickups and spawn points got into the save to start with?

pdescobar only mentioned that he 'text edited an IPL' file & that the extra items stayed with the save file. Seems to me that what ever file you edited to put the Dune & Beagle in Ft Carson & the Stuntplane on the hill north of Toreno's is the correct one. I'm not a programmer though. The Quad under the bridge near the Johnson house in Ganton was added by pdescobar. Could it be as easy as just adding another similar line in the file? I'm probably demonstrating my lack of programming knowledge by saying that.

QUOTE (rubregg Posted on Aug 2 2007 @ 05:41)
oh, and @ JAJ -good to see you 'round here, mate
thanks, I wish I understood more of what's going on....

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:31 AM Edited by OrionSR, 03 August 2007 - 09:45 AM.

<Fern Jetpack 06>

This is another proof of concept save for developing rallies. Now that I can calculate the positions correctly, it's not too difficult to locate items in the file by taking a reading on the spawn point, converting it to hex, and searching for a 3 byte pattern. If I use Xa/Yb/Ya or Yb/Zb/Za, only the second digit of the center byte is likely to be off. So I spent a little time tracking down the added spawns on the 100% save from round 16, and moving things around a little to test an idea.

So please try out this save and see what you think. It starts at an alternate load spot on Fern Ridge. There should be a vehicle, and a moved standard game item. Take the northern route into Palomino Creek; the vehicles are more likely to spawn, and you'll avoid spoiling the surprise of the primary experiment on this save.

Try out your Skipping Palomino route on this save. I didn't mod the garage but there should be an NRG out front of the Palomino house. Take the time to check out Catalina's shack on Fern Ridge. This type of modification is not necessarily intended for Skipping Palomino, but since we both know the route it was an easy event to use as an example. It's supposed to be dark, so roll back the clock or reload if necessary.

Changes:

Alternate load spot with a vehicle and a moved standard pickup.
Extra Palomino vehicles like on the Big Smoke BY save.
13 (if I counted correctly) surprises along the creek.
Changed vehicle at Catalina's and a handy pickup.

Thanks for the tip JAJ. I haven't looked into the IPL stuff yet, but I suspect that will be the only way to add anything new. The only thing I am currently editing is the save file. I can identify and move many of the vehicle spawners and pickups, but that's about it. That Dune in Ft Carson used the be the Euros in SF, but that Beagle has always spawned inside the local diner.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:45 AM Edited by rubregg, 04 August 2007 - 09:26 AM.

Wwhhooaa - nice job on Fern Jetpack 06 !! You got the armour to work icon14.gif

So how did you add those surprises then? wow.gif

As for the vehicles and pickups, I think I might be beginning to grasp what you've done. I still don't really understand all that's in the save file description I pointed towards earlier, but the vehicles seem to be in Block 12:
CODE
>>> BLOCK 12 - Car generators

0    dword           count
  6                    car generators
---- numberplates:
  0    dword           num entries used
  4    Numplate[15]    number plates
 f4                    end

Car generator structure:
  0    word            handle (0..499)
  2    word            model
  4    byte[2]         colors
  6    word[3]         x,y,z, all multiplied by 8
  c    byte            heading/360*256
  d    byte            alarm chance
  e    byte            locked chance
  f    byte            flags: bit 1 = belongs to player
 12    word            monetary value
 16    dword           timer
 1c    word            cars to generate
 22                    end

Numplate structure:
  0    dword           car generator handle
  4    char[8]         numberplate string
 10                    end

The way I read it, the bytes for 'alarm' and 'locked' are probability values. Now I'm not sure anymore, but didn't pdescobar mention something about a 50-50 chance for an alarm of the vehicles he put in? If so, this could point towards the ranges of these variables, but my guess would be 00 to FF with one of them being 'always locked/alarm' and the other 'never locked/alarm'. Have you experimented there?

Which other Blocks have you edited for the moved pickups (2/6?) and added surprises (?) and in which Block do you set the position where the game loads?

I really like those 'surprises' you put in. I agree that they might not be useful for 'Skipping Palomino' but definitely for other events. As for non-standard loading locations, I think it would be great if we could use this to get rid of loading inside save houses and having to run out (or into wardrobes) first.

Update
Just had an idea and am thinking out loud. The engineless NRG can be saved in garages, so the property 'engineless' must be somewhere in 'those bytes', right? I'm wondering if it's possible to find out which flag makes the NRG engineless and if it's possible to have one spawn outside a garage, like the other vehicles pdescobar put in and you moved/altered.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

<IPL Testing 001>

I think I figured out how to get new things into a new game. Please check this save to confirm that the new items work for other players. Actually, I'm pretty sure they will since I tweaked them manually in order to get the cluster of non-standard pickups. This save loads fairly close to 0,0,0 so it's a convenient place to work on stuff.

There should be a vehicle that I'm considering keeping in this location.
There is a standard pickup - Jetpack.
There is a weapon hex edited to contain extra ammo.
There is a cluster of 5 items that were placed as weapons but have been changed to other items using hex editing.

1. Armor - working
2. Health - working
3. Bribe - working
4. Adrenaline - working
5. Money Pile - not working

I'll try to keep the conversation more on the events now that I've figured out the basics of placing and moving items and vehicles. Basically, I can add things to a custom beginning save, or move and change existing items on a modded or standard save. So if we wanted special items, maybe something like the Fern Ridge example of Palomino, then it can be arranged. I can simply gather up flowers around the map and use them for whatever item or weapon we want, and there are plenty of odd boat spawns on the edge of the map to use as vehicles.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:35 AM Edited by rubregg, 04 August 2007 - 09:56 AM.

Yes, the file works for me. The pickups work, except the money pile as you said. Eeerr, adrenaline?? How did that get into SA? wow.gif

Update: oops, missed the vehicle that's supposed to be there. There's only the Jetpack, no other vehicle near the loading location..

And could you please shed some light on the IPL thing?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:25 AM Edited by OrionSR, 04 August 2007 - 02:11 PM.

<Fast Save 01>

I'll try to provide a little information on the IPLs in an update. I was getting the impression that you weren't all that interested in all this modding stuff and was trying to get back to the topic at hand. But if you are interested, perhaps we can start a discussion in the modding forum, and avoid some of the clutter here. Also, we will be more likely to capture the attention of someone who really knows what's going on, or could use a little help.

While I'm working on some quick notes, check out this Fast Save. I was looking for a method to save without buying a safehouse, or changing stats. It loads at the Jefferson safe house; I was trying to make as few modifications as possible so I just tweaked the name and reinforced the save spot with the save editor. I used the control center to make 2 warps. One to a spot inside the entrance arrow to Pig Pen, and another warp to a spot right on top of the Jefferson save icon. I can do the same thing in one warp, but then the airstrip map is filled in. So check the map before going outside, and notice how much intro was captured. I think the only thing missing is - Get on the bike. Hm..., that just might make a good save name.

Oh, and the vehicle spawner probably works just fine. Like all spawners, it's a little stubborn on a fresh start, but will probably spawn on the second load to the same spot. You may also notice that the items respawn rapidly.

Oops, looks like I need to rework this for grammar and whatnot, but I need to let my eyes rest.

IPLs - there may be more to this. I've only dabbled in this stuff. From the beginning... so bear with me.

Shut down GTASA if necessary, or the new mods won't get loaded. When you start the game, and then select new game without loading another game, GTASA will x:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\data\gta.dat to find a list of files to load to prepare for a new game.

The IPLs install extra detail on the map, you can find them in data\maps. Rather than edit these files, create you own IPL and add it to the list in gta.dat. A clean template file can be found in maps\leveldes\leveldes.ipl.

The format for IPLs is a little awkward. There is good reference on this sight, but I'll have to track it down again later. So far I can add vehicle spawns standard weapon pickup using this method. The code generating tools I found provide output that doesn't work with IPLs. (check out the links below) You are looking for a format that looks like this:

<IPL Helper> <Local Topic>

Vehicle
72, 60, 1, 0, 539, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, -1 //Blueberry Field Vortex (539)

Weapons
25, 60, 70, 1.1 //Blueberry Field SMG (25)

There are quite a few options for vehicle spawners, but not much for weapons, it's just the weapon code and the location. Nothing else added to the line seems to change anything. I haven't been able to find any method of adding items like bribes or armor. To create these items I hex edit an existing item to have the code of the item I want to spawn.

Hex Editing

The items added through IPL get written to the save file along with all (most?) of the standard items. Hex editing can be used to modify weapons with additional ammo, and I suspect the respawn timer can also be adjusted, I'm not sure what else. You can change a weapon from one type to the next by changing the code, but a different set of codes are used, and they need to be translated into hex, and have the bytes reversed while searching. There is more reference available on this stuff, the notes explain what I've tweaked so far.

The Codes: SMG, ipl code=25, ModelID=353 (mp5lng), dex2hex(353,4)=0161, Hex search for 61 01

So here's the line from my spreadsheet on this SMG.

Blueberry SMG 60 70 1.1 C4 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 E0 01 30 02 08 00 0 01 61 01 02 00 02 0161 353 mp5lng 25

Description.
X/Y/Z/(A) are entered from readings taken from the control center.
C4 09 is the extra ammo.
I'm not sure about the next 6 empty bytes.
The next 6 bytes is the hex address of X/Y/Z computed from the preceding columns.
The next byte or two are probably angle, and I suspect angle unused.
I'm not sure about next next byte either. Assuming Z is 2 bytes, there are 2 bytes between angle and ID.
61 01 - reverse byte model ID computed from the next few columns.
02 00 02 - not sure, but currently tracking it anyway. (End of Hex Data)
0161 =dex2hex(353,4), model name, ipl code for reference

Weapons and Items seem to have the same format, so I located the standard armor in Montgomery's trailer park by searching for it's location and identified the model ID (DA 04, 04DA hex, 1242 dec). Changing a weapon to the item code spawned a working item. Then I identified the heart icon at Madd Dogg's mansion. Experimenting discovered the adrenaline. With this information I finally found good reference online and got the code for a bribe. The info icon will also display and make a sound when touched, but that's it. I can get lots of models to spawn, but they disappear when touched. I've looked for, but can't find, the Wrench Icon from Bloodbowl.

I'm not sure I'm going to find any more useful items to spawn. I think I'll mess with the type codes a little more and see if I can get displayed models to disappear when touched by CJ's vehicle. It would be great if a sound was played, or some action took place, but that's not particularly necessary.

I am interested in getting the money pickup to pay out. Any idea where I might find a money spot that might be a spawned item? The only thing I can think of is in the Burning Desire house, or maybe some burglary houses. If you find something, take a reading. You can avoid picking it up my holding aim and strafing over it. Just remember to keep holding aim until after pressing the pause button.

<GTA Forums>
<SA-MP>
<Vehicle Codes>
<Save File Format>
<Huge list of Pawn Codes>

Working Item List
Info Icon 1239 04D7 D7 04
Health 1240 04D8 D8 04
Adrenaline 1241 04D9 D9 04
Armor 1242 04DA DA 04
Bribe 1247 04DF DF 04

Not Working - selected items
money packet 1212 04BC BC 04
money icon ($) 1274 04FA FA 04
save disk icon 1277 04FD FD 04

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:40 AM Edited by rubregg, 05 August 2007 - 06:51 AM.

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 4 2007, 13:25)
I was getting the impression that you weren't all that interested in all this modding stuff (...)

It's not a question of interest, it's a question of time. I'm working 2 jobs in summer (they're both far away from computers or the web, so I can't come here during breaks either) and I'm just not at home so much. Like now, I'll only have the time for a quick look at the last save you posted and then I'll be off for the rest of the day. Thanks for the info though, I'll delve into it as soon as I can.

Update
<Fast Save 01> loads fine - starts at Jefferson save house and the map looks like you said. Very good idea for a modded chain game starter.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:16 AM Edited by OrionSR, 05 August 2007 - 10:22 AM.

Oops, not sure how I got a double post of the same message.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

<Type Testing Foot 1>

Don't forget to check the garage in <Big Smoke CX on Snp>. But no surprises in today's test save.

I spent a little time playing with the different types of pickup. The type byte is the last on in the record. The IPL pickups are type 2 which respawn rapidly. Most of the standard pickups are type 15 which respawn in about 6 minutes. There are a variety of pickup types, but the references I've found have been somewhat incomplete so I've had to do a little experimenting. These are just some of the more interesting interactive item types for CJ on foot. There are other working types related to vehicle collection, but I don't have enough items on this save, so maybe tomorrow.

The pickups and types (decimal) on this save are:

SMG - type 2, rapid respawn, permanent
Jetpack - type 15, standard respawn, permanent

$ Asset - type 16, money grows to a configurable limit - not sure on how to adjust the variables, permanent

Security card - type 3, no respawn, plays a sound when collected, stays with save until destroyed after collection
Blue Drug Sack - type 5, no respawn, plays a sound when collected, has a destroy timer (in minutes)

Briefcase - type 19, no respawn, money configured as ammo, stays with save until destroyed after collection
Money Packet - type 8, no respawn, money configured as ammo, has a destroy timer (in minutes)

By destroyed I mean that the pickup is marked as inactive (type 0) and after a while the file space they occupied gets recycled. I strongly suspect there is a count of all active pickups, and turning one or two back on might confuse things. An interesting thought - it might be possible to collect each item, turn it into a no respawn item, and end up with a save with no permanent pickups.

I tried to chose models that were appropriate to the action of the type, but the type and model don't appear to be directly connect. I could assign a buoy as an asset model and stick it out in the bay somewhere.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

I tried the 'testing Foot 1' save & got the Vortex on the 2nd load as described earlier. All the other items worked as described. The Money Packet also added a small amount of respect, the respect bar came up & there was a small bit of green on the left end probably about 1%.
This is cool!

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:27 AM Edited by OrionSR, 06 August 2007 - 03:38 AM.

IPL Enex Testing

I messed around a little with the enex features of IPL editing. This information doesn't transfer to game saves, and will be inserted incorrectly into game play on any save you load that wasn't created with the same enex configuration.

An enex is the method of warping between locations. Common examples of an enex are all the doors that connect the outside world with the inside heavens, but there are other types that can warp between different points in the outside world, and even transport bikes and/or cars - the downtown LS Tower for example.

I thought this might make a handy method of choosing a starting point for rallies, I even had a warp setup right on top of the Fern Hillside load spot with the hope that I could move the destination around as needed. I had a great quickstart that loaded briefly at Fern Hillside before warping CJ to the same location the the game starts - with a BMX that never spawned due to the warp. But still, it was pretty cool to load a save and have it blink the map icon at that location when the world faded in. Anyway, this idea is a bust as far as I'm concerned - looked promising for a while though.

The way I read it, the bytes for 'alarm' and 'locked' are probability values. Now I'm not sure anymore, but didn't pdescobar mention something about a 50-50 chance for an alarm of the vehicles he put in? If so, this could point towards the ranges of these variables, but my guess would be 00 to FF with one of them being 'always locked/alarm' and the other 'never locked/alarm'. Have you experimented there?

I haven't mess with this much, but I suspect these will be very easy to set to always unlocked and never alarmed using more recent examples. More interesting is the possibility of setting the flag so that the vehicle is identified as belonging to CJ - so no stars.

Which other Blocks have you edited for the moved pickups (2/6?) and added surprises (?) and in which Block do you set the position where the game loads?

I'm still working out all the bytes for items. There is a repeating pattern of 32 bytes, but I'm not sure where the record actually starts or stops, so I'll use the object type as a reference point since that's where I usually start when identifying an item.

2 Bytes, Model ID, 61 01, 0x0161, 353, SMG - been over this already.
2 Bytes, usually 02 00, different for all Asset generators, not sure why.
1 Byte, type - influences how the item can be interacted with.
1 Byte, not sure on this one, but when items expire (item collected or timed out) this byte seems to change.

So that's the end of the record as far as I can tell. Perhaps I can learn more on this end, but now I'm going to start working forward in the record, so this bit needs to be reverse when transposing to an item record. So, before the Item ID:

2 Bytes, usually 00 00 or 00 01, except for Assets (so far) where these bytes are equal to the limit of the asset. This makes a handy method of searching for assets by the known limit and Item ID, but the ammo is also set to the same number, so I'm not sure which is doing what.

6 Btyes, Address Xb/Xa/Yb/Ya/Zb/Za - no rotational values identified - (Assets use the Angle bytes)

4 Bytes, Timer for item timeouts like money (01 00 00 00 = 1 minute (sometimes?)). Also used by Asset, but I can't figure out what it's doing. Perhaps it's a time stamp of when the money was last collected.

4 Bytes, Ammo, also used for money payout.

{Start of known record}

So to get things in the correct sequence:

Ammo 4 bytes, Timer 4 bytes, Address 6 bytes, Asset 2 Bytes, Model ID 2 bytes, Flags(?) 2 bytes, Type 1 byte, *Used 1 Byte - maybe

Game Load Byte

I found this by comparing the same save file, but I had tweaked the load spot to be either Angel Pine's trailer park, or Toreno's Ranch. The indoor saves are much more complicated, the outdoor saves are easy only differed by a small amount. There's a series of bytes with lots of differences, changing them didn't seem to make any difference. But later in the file is a single byte, and it appears to identify the location for where the game should load. All of my tests so far have been on tweaking this byte from an outdoor save. Something in the other differences determine which "heaven" CJ can see. This is why teleporting to, from, or between indoor locations causes some problems. Anyway, now I know where to find my save id byte, and I just hit page down 4 times from the top of the file to find it. Try searching for:

CODE
00000f21h: 45 9A E1                                  ; E

Look right above the s in Esa, that's the byte. This is my list of what happens when the byte is set to other settings when the save will load the outdoor heaven. CJ appears to transport to the correct location, but can't see our interact with anything and falls to the outdoor world below.

My notes on outdoor destinations:

00 Johnson House - bring a parachute
0D Angle Pine
0E Fern Ridge - Catalina's
0F Doherty Garage
10 Toreno's Ranch
11 4 Dragons
13 Tierra Robada - short fall (parachute)
19 On Garver Bridge Invisible Barrier
1D End of Carver - low (parachute)
1F Hashbury
22 Fern Hillside
32 Blueberry Acres
33 Blueberry Bay
62 Blueberry

I really like those 'surprises' you put in. I agree that they might not be useful for 'Skipping Palomino' but definitely for other events. As for non-standard loading locations, I think it would be great if we could use this to get rid of loading inside save houses and having to run out (or into wardrobes) first.

The choices are fairly limited, but vehicle spawns at outdoor load locations are fairly reliable. This is definitely something to consider when planning starting points for rallies.

Update
Just had an idea and am thinking out loud. The engineless NRG can be saved in garages, so the property 'engineless' must be somewhere in 'those bytes', right? I'm wondering if it's possible to find out which flag makes the NRG engineless and if it's possible to have one spawn outside a garage, like the other vehicles pdescobar put in and you moved/altered.

I have identified the engineless byte for NRGs in a garage. That's what the Big Smoke CX save was all about. It a property of a vehicle, but there doesn't seem to be any way to manipulate it with a vehicle spawner. Also, I don't think it's possible to spawn a vehicle with special properties like bullet proofing or nitrous, it doesn't appear to be an option for the spawners. I can't think of any special respawning vehicles in GTA3 engine games. The special ones are either created during a mission, or the properties are built into the model - like a Rhino, SWAT Van, or Ranch Lure. I suppose this would be an interesting feature for a garage editor; I never thought look for this option there, maybe it's been done before.

CODE

0000e960h: 00 0A 02 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF; ...
0000e970h: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF;
0000e980h: FF 01 01 00 00 02 00 FF 00 FF 00 BA BA 00 00 00; ...........

0A 02 - model id of NRG-500
01 01 are the color bytes,
02 00 F F 00 FF 00 BA BA is for Engineless NRGs
02 00 F E 00 FF 00 BA BA is for Standard NRGs

E to F is the only thing I changed, I don't know what anything else does in this section of the garage. The information before the part I copied looks like location information.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

Oops - I obviously missed the engineless nrgs in the garage of Big Smoke CX - I had spotted that there are nrgs in the garage via the control center, but in-game the garage door wouldn't open. I was eventually going to have another look at it. It's great that you found out about how to 'make' the engineless NRG !

All the rest I'm continuing to follow with great interest, but like I said I don't have enough time to really get into my own editing frenzy at the moment, as much as I'd like to. But please keep letting me know what you're doing.

The other day I did try just changing a save location in one of my savegames and compared the 2 save files, but there were *many* differences, not just a few bytes...

I'm still wondering about the existence of adrenaline pills in SA...?!? And what were those glowing lights you placed on the jump locations (Fern Jetpack file, was it?)?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:51 PM Edited by OrionSR, 08 August 2007 - 06:04 AM.

<Enex Testing 003>

I was going to abandon this save, but it ended up being fairly interesting anyway. I'm glad I've got your interest though, I need someone to do the testing for me. This file has some interesting features, and not everything is working, but the save file is a little flaky so I need to start a new game. This is a In the Beginning save created with the IPL enexes I was experimenting with but messed up my other gamesaves so the new paths were removed from my system files. However, this file has a few interesting surprises so I included my updates in it.

1. Loads at Palomino Creek - there's a surprise out front; it should be fairly obvious.
Changed the price, model, a flag or something, and the type on Palomino's save icon to match those available for purchase in Los Santos. Search for F8 04 02 00 11 20 - locked, and F9 04 02 00 12 10 - unlocked.

2. Make your way to Blueberry Acres, or change the load spot to the apartment, and check out the new item types in the usual spot in the field. The save disk doesn't work, and I tried moving the Airstrip Save Icon to the same general area but it didn't move. But if anything weird happens between the spawn pile and the SMG, please let me know.
Working Oyster, Horseshoe, and Photo Icon. Counts as collected in stats, items to collect is still 50.

3. Change the load spot to Hashbury with the save editor and load again. If you find that interesting, Prickle Pine is also pretty good. Be sure to check the wardrobes as well.
CJ will exit the wardrobes or safehouse to unexpected locations like Pier 69 or a small casino in NW Las Venturas. Caused by using standard enex paths on a save created with a few modification. Entrance permissions are also scrambled.

The glowing lights in the Fern Jetpack save were rockets and hydra flares. The flares disappear for a while when touched. At the time I could only work with weapons type, but they ended up being one of the better choices. Adrenaline Pills must be a built in feature of the GTA3 engine used in San Andreas, they just didn't implement them, but change the type and there they are. It looks pretty bad with the frame limiter off.

And the garages wouldn't open for the NRGs because that was part of the challenge. I got Engineless NRGs into a garage that had never been opened, so they obviously were not spawned. However, I should have left one alone for comparison.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

I can read the spawn pool in the save file fairly well now. I can see the rapidly respawning sniper rifle on top of the hill overlooking the SF airport and Fire Extinquishers that are inserted through IPL and missing from many people's 2nd game because they started from their other gamesave and didn't start up fresh. There are the IR Goggle marked as spawn until collected just like the oysters and and horseshoes, that can easily be fixed.

It helped to start with a nice clean file, even going into the Pig Pen caused extra spawns to be inserted into the pool. Now I can read it fairly well. All the drops and spawns; cop guns, money, gang war weapons, armor and health, and apparently lots of cocktails from the End of the Line mission. It all ends up in the spawn pool, which is constantly changing and updating as the game progresses.

Some of the spawns are used and will shortly be marked as expired. Expired spawned eventually get deleted and possibly tracked in the pool so I've been leaving them alone. But expired and used spawns are fair game. All I need to do is change the type or fix the flags and the spawn become permanent, or oyster, or anything else I can spawn.

But it looks like all I need to do to insert new objects into a save is copy and paste the relevant bytes into a blank section of the pool, or over temporary spawns before they are deleted. If I understand the tools properly, I should be able to place objects with a 3d Mapping tool, export the new items to IPL, start a new game to convert the IPL to gamesave format, and then copy and paste the new items into the save.

Oh yeah, and fix the checksum, can't forget that step. I'm still looking for a method to add vehicles spawns to an existing game.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:31 PM

ah. good, the forum's up again

I tried out your "<Enex Testing 003>" save. Cool spawning edits!

• loading at Palomino Creek: ok, so I found out that buying the save house *gives* me money (negative value, I suppose?), but I'm confused about the screen output. The icon looks as if buying the house costs $297.680, and when I buy it my money increases by $30.000.

• loading at Hashbury: The wardrobe takes me to El Quebrados and the door to Redsands West. In both cases I first get a 'Whetstone' location notification on the screen before the real one shows up.

• loading at Prickle Pine: The wardrobe beams me to Pier 69, with a 'The Strip' notification in-between. The door beams me to the Camels Toe save house, outside the wardrobe; the wardrobe beams me back. Way cool!

• running around Blueberry Acres - everything as you described, and nothing strange happens between the icons and the SMG. Are the Horseshoe and Oyster additional icons or moved ones? Since they're 'counting' in the stats and all....

Today I finally found a bit of time to read through your postings. I think I'm getting the basic idea of what you're doing, but I'm still lost in the details. Still following with great interest though!!

In 'Skipping Palomino' I've managed 12 jumps within the 4:30 time limit and I'm currently trying on the 13....

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:16 AM Edited by OrionSR, 10 August 2007 - 01:07 AM.

QUOTE (rubregg @ Aug 8 2007, 15:31)
ah. good, the forum's up again

I tried out your "<Enex Testing 003>" save. Cool spawning edits!

I wish I had a clue about editing the path nodes. It would make alternate load locations a lot easier. I'd like to start poking around with them but I'm absolutely clueless about where to start. This is simply the result of using standard pathnodes on a non-standard save. I'm not sure how to take advantage of this other than try it out as see what happens.

• loading at Palomino Creek: ok, so I found out that buying the save house *gives* me money (negative value, I suppose?), but I'm confused about the screen output. The icon looks as if buying the house costs $297.680, and when I buy it my money increases by $30.000.

This has something to do with the way the program is reading this variable. Whatever does the money treats it as a number that can only be positive or negative, and the display routine reads it as a positive number only - or something like that. I'm still getting confused about the correct terminology. I think I need to revise several of my descriptions to read as characters instead of bytes. If I understand it correctly, F is a byte, FF is a character, FF FF is a word, and FF FF FF FF is a dword. Anyway, depending on how the variable is defined, FF could be -1 or 255. (signed and unsigned integers)

I followed up on the obvious potential glitch of picking the lock. BTW, I suspect I could make that icon an MP5 and unlock the door when it was collected, but there's no need to get too weird about the variables. Anyway, I picked the lock at Fort Carson, bought the house, and then completed Yay Ka-Boom Boom to unlock the desert. Nothing crashed, so I don't think anything is broken, but a new buy icon was out front of the house, and when purchased, it didn't get rid of the green house map icon.

• running around Blueberry Acres - everything as you described, and nothing strange happens between the icons and the SMG. Are the Horseshoe and Oyster additional icons or moved ones? Since they're 'counting' in the stats and all....

The horseshoe, oyster, and photo ops appear to count just like any other of that type. I don't think it matters much which model is used, the type would control the action of scoring the item in the stats. The SAMA doesn't detect the new items either. On second thought, the model must be a primary consideration. The type influences display, collection, respawning, and recycling. The same type (type 3, collect once) is used for oysters, horseshoes, IR goggles, and the health in Madd Dogg's mansion, so the model for pickups is the primary factor for what they do.

Today I finally found a bit of time to read through your postings. I think I'm getting the basic idea of what you're doing, but I'm still lost in the details. Still following with great interest though!!

In 'Skipping Palomino' I've managed 12 jumps within the 4:30 time limit and I'm currently trying on the 13....

Nice work on the jumps, I should settle back and play some more. Most of my game time now is running outside to see if everything is spawning the way I intend. If you decide you'd like to get into the editing, I'll try to do a rewrite and step you through the basics.

Vehicles: This block can expand during a new game, like when vehicles are added through IPL, but adding a new vehicle after that would require understanding the save format well enough to scoot around everything that follows. I think I'll stick to working with the 200 or so vehicle spawners current on the map. Moving them around, and changing their properties, isn't all that difficult. Also, there are 3 blank and 1 unused license plate slots. It only works on certain vehicles, but might make a nice touch on one of the events.

Pickups: This is a fixed size and a dynamic pool of items. New items can easily be added to the game by changing the types and properties of temporary drops, or possibly by filling in the blank spots in the pool.

Unique Jumps, Enexes, Paths, Audio Zones, and many other features of IPL do not appear to be recorded in the gamesave.

Looking at the documentation available, Objects and Garages are part of the gamesave, and it might be possible to install them through IPL on a new game.

Pathnode cubes (whatever that means) are part of the gamesave, and I think this is why the enex paths got scrambled. It sure would be cool to mix and match the nodes as desired, but I don't even know where to start.

Restart Possitions: This might be a better place to work on starting points for missions. It should be possible, there is a save anywhere mod included as an option in the Space Einstein mod. But again, I can't decode anything inside this block.

Blips: These are still giving me a bit of trouble. I can create new blips by laying down the map marker, saving, and then editing the marker's id so the marker function won't delete it the next time the marker is used. It doesn't have any trouble laying down a new markers even if it can't find the old one. The biggest problem I'm having is calculating the position. A 4 character float variable is used, and I haven't got a clue about how to transpose it to and from hex. Also, the map marker doesn't record an altitude, so to get the correct Z I need to lay another marker with an X or Y value equal to the Z value I'm after, and then transpose the numbers.

Update: I found a couple of tools to help translate to and from floating point and hex. Hex2Float and Float2Hex are apparently functions that are unavailable in spreadsheets, and I don't hold out much hope of building one myself. These links make it possible to decode and encode these coordinates accurately, but it's still and awkward process.

<IEEE-754 Hex2Dec HTML> - math professor's website
<IEEE-754 Dec2Hex HTML> - math professor's website
<Hex2Floa.EXE in Tools.rar> - somebody's game ripping tools, missing Floa2Hex

I can't remember all the values, but I've got some control over the blips that remain on radar when out of range and or have a mission circle associated with the blip. There are 60 or so icons to choose from, and if an icon isn't used, then the square blip that indicate position above or below CJ is displayed in either yellow, red, or blue. <Map Icon List>

Blips appear to be in a dynamic pool and are created and destroyed as required. I was able to dig out several of the old blips from the NRG-500 challenge before they got recycled. Unfortunately, I cannot get a corona associated with a blip. I'm starting to suspect that the coronas are objects with blips attached to them rather than the other way around.

If you want to see the progress I've made check out <Blip Testing 004>. Sorry, many of the locations are a little close together and clutter the radar, and the red house is a bit in the way. The main variables are icon type or color, with and without mission circles, with or without blips, and radar behavior. There's a blue marker on top of the hill; it took a while to get it up there instead of inside the hill.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:40 PM Edited by OrionSR, 10 August 2007 - 12:27 AM.

This post is a collection of the most recent saves for each event, but since the posts of the original descriptions are locked, I moved them over here. We should get things updated with the most recent information - I lost track of the better ideas.

Badlands Endurance Rally

< Badlands Endurance - no Catalina, no gangs >

Using the modified Bullet provided with the save, complete the following Unique Stunt Jumps and return the Black Bullet to the Palomino Creek garage. Completing the jump for the bonus is not required, but the jump must at least be found to trigger the slo-mo camera angle. Jump numbers (#) referenced are from maps provided by dark52. The timer starts with the loading of the save at 07:04, and ends with a screenshot in the Palomino Creek garage. Optionally, the Rally can be raced with other gamesaves, and an overall time recorded as the difference in time from the first jump until the car is parked in the garage. Additional screenshots of jumps or other highlights may be included in the Finishing screenshot.

1) Palomino Creek (#25)
2) Montgomery Intersection (#27)
3) Dillimore (#28)
4) Unity Station (#9)
5) Jefferson's Pedestrian Overpass (#13)
6) Palomino Creek garage (Finish)

Gold - 11:20 (4:00)
Silver - 11:40 (4:20)
Bronze - 12:00 (4:40)

Achievements

Katie Jumps

< Katie Jumps - revert >

Meet Katie for a date while driving an NRG. The date will automatically fail due to the high wanted level, but Katie will remain on the back of the bike for 6 minutes before she bails and runs off. The goal is to complete as many SF unique stunt jumps as possible and score the bonus with Katie as a passenger.

Achievements

Skipping Palomino

<Skipping Palomino (no mission markers)>

<Link to Palomino Post in this thread>

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Aug 9 2007, 12:16)
If I understand it correctly, F is a byte, FF is a character, FF FF is a word, and FF FF FF FF is a dword. Anyway, depending on how the variable is defined, FF could be -1 or 255. (signed and unsigned integers)

I'm also confused about the term 'char' or 'character' for a variable and I don't know what it means. But I do know that a 'byte' is FF, not F. One byte is 8 bits, so it can represent 2^8 = 256 different numbers:
00000000 -> 11111111 = 0 -> 255 = 00 -> FF.

Every 2-digit hex number your editor shows you represents one byte of the file you've opened.

On the others I just did a bit of reading:

The size of a 'word' actually depends on the computer architecture, and on our x86'es it's defined as 16 bits, which is 2 bytes, so FF FF. 'dword' is 'double word', so 32 bits or 4 bytes or FF FF FF FF. Similarly: qword - quadruple word - 64 bits - 8 bytes.

Signed Integers:
Oops. Looks like FF could mean even more than 255 or -1. I can only quote here, so according to wikipedia -1 would be the most commonly used 'Two's complement' representation. For many more see here.

Thanks again for keeping me informed about your editing frenzies. I'm not sure I'll have the time to really get into those myself too soon, but it's nice to know some basics and to have them all here in the topic.

Good idea on the 'event summary posting' too. I was eventually going to suggest something like that, but I was toying around with the thought of editing the first couple of posts in this topic, so that in the end we'd have all the final race descriptions (and save files) at the top of the thread. One posting per race for better linkability? Ah, details later, for now it's good to have them all together here.

I started taking in-game screenshots of the Skipping Palomino jumps. Since we're going to publish a map with the jumps, what would you think about spicing it up with in-game shots, similarly to the collectibles' maps by 708145? I was thinking something like one shot of the starting position and one shot in mid-jump, what do you say, too much of a spoiler?

I finally made 14 jumps in Skipping Palomino, hooray!! With 'survivor' achievement (last jump) but without any triple insanes.
user posted image

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

Nice Screenshot for your Skipping Palomino run. I do like the colors we ended up with for this event. And although I still doubt that 15 can be complete within the time limit, I didn't uses the same jumps that you did. Besides, 14 was intense with very little margin for error.

I spent a little time poking around with the various properties of the vehicle spawners and looking through the block to see what was there. Many of the vehicles that spawn in fixed places are not one of the spawners. If I search for NRGs I only find the ones at the dry dock and bike school. The NRGs at the SF airport and LS car park must be generated someplace else. I guess this explains why certain spawns are more reliable than others. I was hoping to track down the lost Hotdog Trucks in LS, but there aren't any in the list.

I can toggle the display variable on the hidden vehicles. This includes all of the fixed spawns for the export list that are only available briefly. It seems like a bit of a waste. Unhiding the Monster at the 8-Track didn't seem to confuse the game at all after completing the mission. Another strange find is that the locked vehicles of girlfriends and the SF airport are actually two vehicles. One is always locked, and the other isn't. I'm not sure why they didn't toggle the locks instead how it is displayed. Also, if too many vehicle spawners are in the same general area (about 6 or 7), then they stop working as reliably. The furthest vehicle is unlikely to spawn until it is approached from a different direction - but we knew this already. I haven't messed with the locks other than to pass variables into them with IPL so I knew which parameters controlled the different fields, but I'm pretty sure I can unlock them and disable the alarms without any problem.

crazyanurag
  • crazyanurag

okthxbai

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

Don't mind me. I've just come in here to break up your chatfest. I can't yet turn this thread into a triopoly until my friend decides to return the SA disc to me. But hey, nice thread, and plenty of good ideas. I'd be game for all of these!

You'll Never Walk Alone

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

More Enex Glitching

I messed around with adding and removing enexes again today. Below are some of the more interesting finds. A few might make a good alternate starting spot for rallies, but most are just interesting for the unusual location. I'm not having any luck figuring out how this glitch works. It sure would be nice to be able to plug any destination into the closet.

<LV Burgershot> - loads right there at the mission.
<Extra Room> - interesting lighting.
<Ghost House>- watch your step.
<Empty Plane> - from the Free Fall mission.
<Nice House> - I wonder why this wasn't used for a safehouse.
<Garcia and Caligula's> - don't forget to check the other side of Caligula's.
<Upper Pier 69> - out of reach of the cops, but needs a vehicle spawn.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:40 AM Edited by OrionSR, 15 August 2007 - 09:58 AM.

< Enex Switching 06 >

After comparing several different game starts with and without additional enexes, I finally figured out how the glitch works. In the process, I also learned how to pick the locks on all the doors. Unfortunately, the barbers, and store clerks still don't appear, so I've got some more work to do in that department. Still, I can now plug just about any door into any location.

Enex Switch 6 has several features. I'll leave most of them to a surprise, but mostly because it'll take a while to document everything properly. These are the basic things to look for:

All of the standard wardrobes have been redirected to what I thought might make the most interesting starting points for rallies or challenges. However, don't switch the load spot with the save game editor until after you've tried where I've got it saved. There is a surprise in the wardrobes, but you'll need to look around to find one that works.

I didn't change the main doors on the safe houses, but almost all of the other doors in Los Santos have been redirected to various interiors. Most of them are only accessible during missions or seen during cut scenes, but a few that aren't officially in the game at all. Some of the doors allow vehicles. Also, a few mission-only doors have been unlocked and left alone.

I can now save almost anywhere; you see what I mean when you load the save. This was something I stumbled across as I was putting the final touches on the crafted save. If you decide to skip the interior tour, then be sure to check out the tower lift downtown. This door opens some other great opportunities for rallies and challenges.

Wardobe Map

Link Enex Interior Changer -> Redirection
00DB CARLS Johnson House Int 00E3 to LV Steakhouse - Old Strip
00DE MADDOGS Maddog Top int none
00DF MDDOGS Maddog Bottom int none
0159 CHANGER Wardrobe Int N/A
015C SVVGMD Prickle Pine Int 0174 to Top of Pier 69
015D SVSFSM Paradiso Int 016F to Secret Valley - Smokin Beef Grill
015E SVLABIG LA's Big House Int 016C/D/E to Changer
015F SVSFMD Hashbury Int 0175 to Changer
0160 SVLASM Jefferson Int 016B to Big Ear Tower
0161 SVHOT1 Queens Int 0165 to Below the Belt
0162 SVVGHO1 Clown's Pocket Int 0168 to Tierra Robada Diner
0163 SVVGHO2 Old Venturas Strip Int 0169 to Juniper Hollow Diner - near Katie's
0164 SVc*nt Dillimore Int 016A to Lil Probe Inn
0166 SVGNMT2 Red Bed Room 016C/D/E to Changer
0167 SVGNMT1 Tan Bed Room 016C/D/E to Changer
0171 SVSFBG Calton Heights Int 0170 to Top of Dam
0172 SVLAMD Verdant Bluffs Int 0173 to Caligula's Roof S

Since Hashbury changer is near the bottom of the list it was the easiest location to use for testing. On this save left to the default setting.

This is the normal link for Hashbury's connection to it's wardrobe.

CODE
75 01 04 40 59 01

75 01 - Hashbury's interior's link address
04 - <Door Flags>
40 - door is unlocked
59 01 - link to changer.

The link addresses listed are for a save with standard enex connections. The 2nd hex number is the changer door associated with that interior. If custom IPL enexes are added in GTA.DAT before the standard IPL enexes, then the links will be shifted accordingly. Links are constantly being rebuilt. By default, the changer is linked to the Queen's interior until it is used from another safe house, then the changer changes it link to the new safehouse until used from another location. Same thing happens with multiple doors to the same interior. There's only 3 bytes difference (and the checksum) between saves at the different country houses; the link in, the link out, and... the same change in an object or something I can't identify.

I've got a good list of the various interiors relinked in this save, but it's fairly long (including the ones I didn't change, 50 links) and will clutter things considerably. There are 375 default links, the full list would be more than appropriate, and my list is still fairly incomplete.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users