Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

Please put which game version you are using when you make your requests.
Best to include it in the topic title or topic description or at the very least include this in topic body.

How to tell the difference if you don't know:
First look at the DVD case/manual cover or the box it came in; if it says Second Edition then you have v2. Other wise then it's v1

Next go to \Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\data\script\
Right-click on main.scm and select Properties.
Look at the Modified date.
v1 = Thursday, April 21, 2005
v2 = Friday, August 19, 2005

If you use any mods or cheats mention that as well in the topic body. Mods that change game play; this does not mean car mods.

Personally I'm tired of getting a saved game thinking that it's a v1 game and it my game crashes to hell because the save game file was for v2 or has some mod that changed the game play.
I'm sure there are helpers out there that feel the same way.

JAJ
  • JAJ

-Hitdog-

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [The Chain Game]

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Good stuff, this should help those that don't know their version #.
Maybe this post or at least part of it could be added to the Mission Help Rules & F.A.Q. post. http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=208616

Bump

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Jun 22 2007, 13:43)
Personally I'm tired of getting a saved game thinking that it's a v1 game and it my game crashes to hell because the save game file was for v2 or has some mod that changed the game play.
I'm sure there are helpers out there that feel the same way.

Well its alittle different for me. I am sick and tired of getting a file and it is V1 and my game crashs becasue its not V2.

Samutz
  • Samutz

if ($lol) { die(rofl()); }

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:29 AM Edited by Samutz, 25 June 2007 - 02:32 AM.

From my understanding, each save starts with 42 4C 4F 43 4B (BLOCK) at the start of the file followed by four bytes (characters) that identify the save type. And the thing that converts v1 saves to v2 changes these 4 characters. The problem I'm having though is that some files I find have different characters there despite being the same version (according to the post I got it from).

Eg. I downloaded 3 v1 files and got 2 with the same id and one with a different id. Same for 3 v2 files.

What I'm getting at is, if I can get some help identifying the versions of save files, I can have my site display the version on the download page if it helps any.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Samutz @ Jun 24 2007, 23:29)
What I'm getting at is, if I can get some help identifying the versions of save files, I can have my site display the version on the download page if it helps any.

Wow if you could get that to work that would be AWSOME.

Samutz
  • Samutz

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:44 AM

Ok so...

The download pages for SA files now shows the version ID. If it says Unknown, I need the hex number from the parentheses (or the save link) and I need to know what version it is, including any mission mods such as the Hot Coffee mod, Spaceeinstein's All In One mod, etc.

I'm seeing that the majority of them are 7581da35, f68d14fd, 5e764593, and 83e5f365. Once I get the versions of these 4 id, most of the files will be covered.

HerrieM
  • HerrieM

Don't Panic

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

Samutz, what you are asking that if we download a savegame that is uploaded onto your site and there isn't a version stated, that we then inform you what version it was?

@ Ryan, I don't know if i told you this before, but you can change your GTA so that you can play all versions two. You need to "downgrade" your version. It isn't a downgrade, but it opens up the game so you can mod it. Your savegames wil still be the v2 savegames they are. This is because yor main.scm and script.img are still v2. If you replace them (temporarily) with v1 script.img and main.scm you will be able to start up a v1 savegame. (same goes for all mod, if you have the right files).

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

I would have to admit, it is frustrating when you get a save where you don't know what version it is until you download it, I know as I have V.2, but it's not that bad for people with either version-because all you have to do is use the "SA Id Converter" program that pdescobar created and it would easily make the save compatible with your game. It only takes about 5 seconds to download a save and about 2 seconds to run the save through the id converter program to be up and running the game. Hope this helps.

@Samutz, I think it would be a little easier if there were 2 up-loaders for San Andreas SNP requests-one for V.1 and another for V.2. What do you think?

@wolf68k, good job on the topic at hand, it should help people in identifying what version of the game they have as well as make them aware of the posting requirements for SNP requests.

Samutz
  • Samutz

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (HerrieM @ Jun 25 2007, 02:18)
Samutz,  what you are asking that if we download a savegame that is uploaded onto your site and there isn't a version stated, that we then inform you what version it was?

Yes, exactly. I tried doing this once before on my own and couldn't get it to work properly. Partially because I had to do some guess work regarding the versions. So I mainly need some of the veteran helpers, that know the different versions well enough, to confirm these for me.

QUOTE (radioman @ Jun 25 2007, 04:19)
@Samutz, I think it would be a little easier if there were 2 up-loaders for San Andreas SNP requests-one for V.1 and another for V.2. What do you think?

I don't think the newbies would pay attention and upload to the correct one. Just like some don't pay attention and state their version in their posts.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:47 PM Edited by Wolf68k, 25 June 2007 - 06:50 PM.

@wolf68k, good job on the topic at hand, it should help people in identifying what version of the game they have as well as make them aware of the posting requirements for SNP requests.

It's not like it's not in the Rules&FAQ topic...it's just that no one freakin' reads it

I'd have to disagree. No one reads anything any more like they should. Plus it would be that much confusing and twice the work to maintain 2 uploaders.

The idea of the uploader detecting the which version the game is would be easier, mostly for those doing the download.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Samutz @ Jun 25 2007, 05:44)
I'm seeing that the majority of them are 7581da35, f68d14fd, 5e764593, and 83e5f365. Once I get the versions of these 4 id, most of the files will be covered.

83e5f365 -- that's what my v1 save files have
f68d14fd -- that's what the conversion tool changes it to, so it would have to be v2

Samutz
  • Samutz

• Members

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

Thanks. I got those added.
Just for reference, is your v1 1.00 or 1.01?

Also, about v2;
Does the conversion tool change every single file to f68d14fd? And will a file with this ID work on any version (so long as the correct scm is used)?

I had tried having the site automatically convert files to v2 by having it change to f68d14fd when you download. But when I had a few people try it out, they said it didn't work. Looking back at it though, I think it's because they didn't use the correct scm.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Samutz @ Jun 26 2007, 13:26)
Thanks. I got those added.
Just for reference, is your v1 1.00 or 1.01?
There's nothing on my menu screen and my main.scm is dated April 21 2005
QUOTE (Samutz @ cont.)
Also, about v2;
Does the conversion tool change every single file to f68d14fd?
I only converted a couple of files now and haven't done proper testing - but that's how I understood the conversion tool worked. Oh, and it says in the screen output that the checksum has been changed too. Anyway, if I feed it an already converted file, it tells me the id has been changed from f68d14fd to f68d14fd and the checksum from [some value] to [same value].
QUOTE (Samutz @ cont.)
And will a file with this ID work on any version (so long as the correct scm is used)?
In the chain games it usually works. To be precise, it works for players with a genuine v2 and for players with a v1 as long as they use main.scm and script.img from v2.
QUOTE (Samutz @ cont.)
I had tried having the site automatically convert files to v2 by having it change to f68d14fd when you download. But when I had a few people try it out, they said it didn't work. Looking back at it though, I think it's because they didn't use the correct scm.
Yes, it sounds like players using v1 with v1 scripts. It wouldn't work for them.

--> hope this helps; and by the way, great work on the uploader site icon14.gif

Samutz
  • Samutz

• Members

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:18 PM Edited by Samutz, 27 June 2007 - 12:25 AM.

I don't remember that checksum thing being there when I was trying this out before.
I found the part of the file where the checksum is stored. I just need to figure out what determines the checksum so I know what to change it to.

Edit: I found out how the checksum is generated. I just need to figure out how to do it in php.

Edit 2:
I think I got them right this time:
7581da35: 1.00 Original
83e5f365: 1.00 Cracked
58be6e9a: 1.01 Original
5e764593: 1.01 Cracked
f68d14fd: 2.0 Original (or from the v2 converter tool)

Some people that have 2.0 will have their saves show up as 83e5f365 or 5e764593. I suspect this is because there's no 2.0 crack, so they're using a 1.0 or 1.01 crack.

Still working on the checksum thing though... suicidal.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:14 AM

Won't the checksum vary because of which missions are done and which aren't no matter what version the game is?

Ok maybe this isn't the best way for me to get this but I know it works just was well
Using mIRC's $crc(filename) identifier I did a check on just 2 of my save game files and I got 2 completely different checksum results.
Both were done using a v1.0 install and no-cd exe.

Or maybe I missing something of what you're talking as being the checksum.
There are only 2 kinds of checksums I've dealt with, CRC and MD5.
CRC is 8 character. Where as MD5, I'm not sure how long it is but it's really long.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Jun 28 2007, 08:14)
Won't the checksum vary because of which missions are done and which aren't no matter what version the game is?

The checksum explanation slipped into the other topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users