Photo

[Wip|Test] VC Gfx

154 replies to this topic
Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Well we can make a conclusion that ATI is quite funky.

Stene
  • Stene

PERKELE

• Members

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

Yea, nVidia rules!

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

I can't believe there isn't a way to fix this :S

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

When I tried the latest version (atiref.rar) I didn't get reflection at all. The cars are as dull as ever. speclight and trails work flawlessly.

GPU: X850pro
DX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

evilrex
  • evilrex

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:34 AM Edited by evilrex, 15 July 2007 - 11:41 AM.

Reflections work fine for me, sadly I had to disable specular lighting because it made my game really lag.

My specs:

AMD Althlon 64 3000+
512MB RAM
Geforce 6600GT

I really wish to see reflections like that on the water.

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (evilrex @ Jul 15 2007, 11:34)
Reflections work fine for me, sadly I had to disable specular lighting because it made my game really lag.

My specs:

AMD Althlon 64 3000+
512MB RAM
Geforce 6600GT

I really wish to see reflections like that on the water.

me too i was haveing really good reflec and spec at night and it made game lag so bad so i tried it with the lc mod and it looked cool but laggy

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

Hmm, sorry for the bump....

Have u got around the ati card problem?

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:53 PM

No I haven't. The code for the reflections is actually pretty simple, and there are only so many things that can "go wrong", and the last version i uploaded was about the best i can do for the moment, since i don't have ati hardware. i haven't worked on this in weeks, and i'm not sure when i'll get back to it. I'm actually more surprised at the spec lighting slowing people's games down, because i had plans for that, big plans, and when i released the first version, no one complained about the framerate then.

But yea, i'm not sure when i'll resume work on this project, but if i were you guys i wouldn't hold my breath.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

Hmm, thanks for the reply..

BTW, the speclights DO work for me, but they aren't working on peds (and i'm happy 'bout it). The last version u've uploaded only disables reflections on cars...i mean, the original reflection comes back.

Other than that, good work on it.

Claude GTA3
  • Claude GTA3

I am awesome.

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

I also get only the specular lighting,the reflections don't show,mazbe because I have the no cd crack,I canćt plaz with the original exe,mz second CD onlz has the audio and the crack...I got ripped off

Is this possible to make for GTA3 (Its the only one with a legit exe),It reallz would be cool,because I oftenly play LC and III the spec. lighting looks far more better on LC,in VC,it just reflects the massive amount of sunlight confused.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Claude GTA3 @ Aug 6 2007, 14:47)
I also get only the specular lighting,the reflections don't show,mazbe because I have the no cd crack,I canćt plaz with the original exe,mz second CD onlz has the audio and the crack...I got ripped off

...did you just admit to owning a pirated copy of the game? If you bought the game from a proper retailer (*ahem*..) you have a legit exe, because it's installed by default, along with the rest of the game files. R* doesn't ship games with cracked exe's...
The reflections don't show because you have an ati-video card.

Is this possible to make for GTA3 (Its the only one with a legit exe)

First post of this topic:
Q:"Can you port this to GTA3?"
A: I won't. Yes, the ideas and techniques this mod uses could probably be ported to gta3, but i have little to no interest in doing so.

That shouldn't be confusing, but incase the point isn't clear; no gta3 version will be made. You asked this before, and i said no then. i'm not saying it again.

It reallz would be cool,because I oftenly play LC and III the spec. lighting looks far more better on LC,in VC,it just reflects the massive amount of sunlight  confused.gif

Vc has code that makes the sun and ambient light more noticable, but all the lights in Vc do work, properly. drive under a light at night and see for yourself.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

And an other question. I've seen realistic shadows in a lot of cutscenes of VC, is it possible to make them appear simply while playing with ur character?

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (MasterK @ Aug 8 2007, 22:56)
And an other question. I've seen realistic shadows in a lot of cutscenes of VC, is it possible to make them appear simply while playing with ur character?

i noticed that too, but i haven't made any progress in using them outside of cutscenes. believe me, if i get that to work, i'll update this asap.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

Okay, and thanks for the fast answer again!

[CTD]LaBan
  • [CTD]LaBan

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

I announce that this wont work on Mobile Intel GMA X3100, 256MB, too

Claude GTA3
  • Claude GTA3

I am awesome.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:16 AM Edited by Claude GTA3, 14 August 2007 - 06:35 AM.

user posted image

hmm,as I saw in some earlier pics here,vehicles seem to reflect what's on the screen,same with LCS and VCS,but is it possible to replicate the Xbox reflections effect,so the roof reflects the skies,the side reflects buildings and pavements,back the road,buildings,and cars,same with the front? The Specular lighting is awesome,the only downside it's affecting the peds,how do I get rid of that,do I re-export them into the game (I can't export tounge.gif )?

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (DexX @ Aug 9 2007, 14:07)

i noticed that too, but i haven't made any progress in using them outside of cutscenes. believe me, if i get that to work, i'll update this asap.

I have been looking at those over the weekend. I get to set the shadow data on the player model and get the data transferred into the shadow list for rendering but it doesn't render it.

Alex

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

Well, maybe there's a switch what tells the game to load these shadows only when on cutscene "mode"?

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (MasterK @ Aug 14 2007, 13:30)
Well, maybe there's a switch what tells the game to load these shadows only when on cutscene "mode"?

No I do load the shadow data manually. They get stored at +0x194 into an object (a DWORD pointer). The data from that gets accessed and written into a table at 0x876something. The data from that gets then accessed at the rendering stage and the drawindexedprimitive function even gets reached but - no visible effect.

Alex

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

Well, that's ain't cool then confused.gif

Why R* didn't do realtime reflections to be seen through the gameplay confused.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (MasterK @ Aug 20 2007, 09:13)
Well, that's ain't cool then confused.gif

Why R* didn't do realtime reflections to be seen through the gameplay confused.gif

The realtime shadows of the cutscenes are very likely not very useful for regular gameplay. As I understand the system being used, they calculate it all by hand themselves, which likely isn't efficient. Also they set up one light and 4 cameras for each shadow of an actor. But outside the cutscenes, there is many lights in VC so... I could be wrong but I suspect the VC cutscene shadows are not the best choice for in-game realtime shadows.

If someone wanted that, they'd probably be best of starting from scratch.

But if someone else can get them to work - great. smile.gif

Alex

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Aug 21 2007, 10:07)
The realtime shadows of the cutscenes are very likely not very useful for regular gameplay. As I understand the system being used, they calculate it all by hand themselves, which likely isn't efficient. Also they set up one light and 4 cameras for each shadow of an actor. But outside the cutscenes, there is many lights in VC so... I could be wrong but I suspect the VC cutscene shadows are not the best choice for in-game realtime shadows.

If someone wanted that, they'd probably be best of starting from scratch.

But if someone else can get them to work - great. smile.gif

Alex

4 cameras? wtf?
The light could be solved, by just using the sunlight frame data (namely direction..). even in SA, R* only calculates the dynamic shadows for the sunlight, and not the other local lights. Would you mind sharing some of the functions addresses you have for shadows, so i can take a look myself?

but is it possible to replicate the Xbox reflections effect,so the roof reflects the skies,the side reflects buildings and pavements,back the road,buildings,and cars,same with the front?

Not in the pc versions vc, or gta3. The version of renderware that the pc games use is older, and doesn't support everything that would be required. SA could probably do it, but it's an advanced topic.
Also, the xbox reflections just reflect nearby buildings, not peds or cars. that would be far, far slower.

The Specular lighting is awesome,the only downside it's affecting the peds,how do I get rid of that,do I re-export them into the game

if you're using the version in my first post, they should not be getting spec, except when on a motorbike, which is a known issue.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:31 PM

No I wouldn't mind. I'd have to look it all up though. One proc I do remember is 0x4e0160. In this proc you can find calls that lead to the camera updates.

Basically it works like this. Upon calling of the create cutscene object opcode the +0x194 ptr into the cutscene actor gets set. (I can call the proc that gets called from within the opcode on normal actors too, no problem there.) This ptr points to the shadow data. Ptrs to all 4 cameras and the light, as well as some bounding/positioning information is present in that struct.

Then, during the cutscene, the 4E0160 proc is called. It's actually an entry at +30 into the virtual method table of the cutscene actor. This can successfully be changed for a normal actor too. For the player you just follow the ptr at +0 into player object and change the function ptr at +30 from there to 0x4E0160.

So then this called for the player. Within this proc the 4 cameras get updated as I understand it. Then there's a transformation of basic shadow data to a struct that starts at 0x867something too. This struct is used during the actual shadow render process.

That process takes place in the usual proc for rendering of particle/2DFX within the "Uberframe Proc". smile.gif There's several subprocs for the individual fx within it. The one for the shadows is at 0x4Asomething29, I remember. It's also responsible for the rendering of lights of player vehicles, I believe.

Anyway that proc reads the data from the 867something table and uses that for shadow rendering. As I understand it the cameras are used for the creation of the texture that is then used for rendering (because it's passed to D3D's SetTexture).

Ah and there was a problem with the position of the shadow data. I had to write some short code that would do that because there was a clash between cutscene actor and normal player data. But I'd have to look up the details.

I should warn you though: the code can get quite nasty. For example, the vertices and faces of the model of the shadow data get calculated by hand on the fly. Not pleasant to follow (and probably not very fast either). smile.gif

Alex

nabo45
  • nabo45

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

All right, i know that this post is rather unnesscery, but i'm going to buy a new GFX card (nVidia Gforce 8600GTS) and i would like to know if the mod works on card...

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

it seems to work only on nvidia cards tounge.gif

nabo45
  • nabo45

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (DexX @ Aug 26 2007, 01:29)

Yea it does, but i can see that i think ParoXum has problems with his 8800GTX card, so i thought that this card may have the same problems...

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (nabo45 @ Aug 25 2007, 18:33)
QUOTE (DexX @ Aug 26 2007, 01:29)

Yea it does, but i can see that i think ParoXum has problems with his 8800GTX card, so i thought that this card may have the same problems...

i think you should re-read his post;

QUOTE (paroxum)
Video card : ATI RAdeon X1800 GTO 256MB 128Bit

g30dud3
  • g30dud3

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:53 PM Edited by g30dud3, 25 December 2007 - 06:22 PM.

I've got a v1.0 american VC exe and the reflections aren't working for me at all, all I get is the pixel salad like what other people are getting (although I suspect that has less to do with my exe version and more to do with my absolutely pathetic onboard graphics chip tounge.gif ).

Interestingly, pressing F4 immediately after the game has loaded seems to use the image from the loading screen to wrap around vehicles instead of using what's on the screen, like this:

user posted image

Oh and btw, specular lighting and trails work flawlessly. biggrin.gif

Ryder35
  • Ryder35

sheisse

• Members

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

hiz i've tried your mod
there is nothing only the specular have been increased , what's wrong ? its my graphic card ? Nvidia 5200 (128 mb)
user posted image
btw i set the ref level to 25 there is nothing ...
user posted image

g30dud3
  • g30dud3

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

Any updates to the Vice City version, DexX?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users